ADVERTISEMENT

Bluder deserves more pay than Fran.

Good points.

But it really depends on how you measure things, right? All men’s teams make more than women’s teams, regardless of the coach. So Fran is starting with a huge advantage not due to his own work.

To measure and compare Bluder and Fran, you really need to look at the marginal changes in revenue that they were responsible for. Men’s attendance has fallen significantly under Fran the past few years, while the women’s numbers have increased under Bluder. You really can’t give Fran any credit for TV money, that’s going to be there no matter what. And Bluder has brought immense goodwill to the university with her success, which isn’t easily measured in $.

It’s an interesting argument on both sides. Bluder definitely should get a raise.

The women’s program is already losing millions per year. Attendance and revenue are likely to take a significant hit over the next 2-3 years, so how much more should we pay?

Again, I love Lisa but we have to keep it real and in perspective.

I agree that Bluder has done a fine job, but the CC phenomenon was a once in at least decades occurrence. I predict that women's college BB will slowly fade back into a ho-hum status. It is actually a game of three-pointers and lay-ups. In truth, a decent boy's HS team would dominate.

The difference between the popularity of the NBA and WNBA proves this assertion.

I agree that Bluder has done a fine job, but the CC phenomenon was a once in at least decades occurrence. I predict that women's college BB will slowly fade back into a ho-hum status. It is actually a game of three-pointers and lay-ups. In truth, a decent boy's HS team would dominate.

The difference between the popularity of the NBA and WNBA proves this assertion.
I was on the Gray team and the women would crush a mans team . I know for a fact. I saw it in person repeatedly

Fran, his wife, and his family don't want to be in Iowa City anymore. The feeling is mutual.

Fran will never get a major job again. Hence why he will milk money out of Iowa. I don't care what kind of business you run. That is not sustainable.

Not an opinion. Beat the best ex college players like me. I played against worse players when i played at Wartburg. The other guys were excellent ball players but we won one out of 10 on a good week. Fact not opinion
This reminds me of a story from back in my days of playing qb on our flag football team.
After one of our games a guy was asking me where I played at and I told him my tiny little high school where we just ran the ball all the time. He says to me no, where did you play in college and I just kinda laughed at him and he tells me what D-3 school he played for which made me laugh inside even more.
Just because you’re on the team in D-3 doesn’t mean you’re any good. Pretty sure they don’t make you try out as I came across this same situation multiple times and these guys were not very good.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
It'll be an interesting TV contract negotiation. Their will be the argument that CC is gone and the value will drop. (It absolutely will). Just a question of how much of a drop.

It can easily be argued that there can be long term staying power for interest in Women's college bball.
I wouldn't bet on it. We live in a short attention span society. Just as quickly as people were swept up in CC fever...they'll drift to something else once she's gone. WBB will certainly get a nice bump from this...but it's not going to surpass the men's game until women...a lot of women become full time sports fans.

Clark was a phenom not likely to get repeated anytime soon.

Reactions: Hawk68
And then shortly after the season starts, a gigantic dropoff.
The last couple of years have been great, but looks like the Iowa women are starting 4 seniors this year. Not saying Bluder is done, but next year appears to be a massive rebuilding year. The fairy tale will be over, and it's back to reality.

The last couple of years have been great, but looks like the Iowa women are starting 4 seniors this year. Not saying Bluder is done, but next year appears to be a massive rebuilding year. The fairy tale will be over, and it's back to reality.
Unless one of the freshmen is a ready-made superstar.

Because she got lucky that an in state player has developed to the level that she has?
As much as Fran frustrates me as a coach, I’m sure his team would do alright with a point guard that sets a new ncaa scoring record and also dishes out as many assists as she does.

before Clark came along I kinda feel like bluder was very similar to Fran. Middle of the road type coach who’s had some players have success but never really had much success as a team.
They won the big ten before Clark arrived.

I wouldn't bet on it. We live in a short attention span society. Just as quickly as people were swept up in CC fever...they'll drift to something else once she's gone. WBB will certainly get a nice bump from this...but it's not going to surpass the men's game until women...a lot of women become full time sports fans.

Clark was a phenom not likely to get repeated anytime soon.
There's a lot of men that are full time women's basketball sports fans.

There's a lot of men that are full time women's basketball sports fans.
Sure there are (though I don't know about "a lot"). But a quick glimpse at any of the crowd shots from this year's games shows that it was the women and girls that provided the huge bump in attendance. The last couple of years were something special and this year...simply amazing. But it won't last unless there's another Caitlin Clark/Taylor Swift type phenom.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: HawkGem11
Honestly, I wish Fran an Bluder each had 12th ranked Salaries in Big 10.
Then stack bonuses:
33% Big 10 reg season title
25% BTT title
25% NCAA bid
50% sweet sixteen
100% Final 4
100% NCAA championships

So terrible base pay, but chance to make over 3x salary with great year

Honestly, I wish Fran an Bluder each had 12th ranked Salaries in Big 10.
Then stack bonuses:
33% Big 10 reg season title
25% BTT title
25% NCAA bid
50% sweet sixteen
100% Final 4
100% NCAA championships

So terrible base pay, but chance to make over 3x salary with great year

lol…sure that’s what’s called a employer friendly contract. No highend coach would sign on for that

They won the big ten before Clark arrived.
Yep in they won the big ten under bluder in 2008. You’re correct they won one title without Clark under bluder and only one title with Clark for that matter.

Iowa probably should have won at least two big ten titles with probably the best women’s college basketball player ever.
Seems like she should be doing a better job of coaching.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
Got to love people who know nothing about what they are talking about.......might want to check just exactly how many 20+ win season Iowa women have had int a row....that is the reality there 20+ win seasons....get a clue before looking stupid!

Reactions: cmhawks99
Yep in they won the big ten under bluder in 2008. You’re correct they won one title without Clark under bluder and only one title with Clark for that matter.

Iowa probably should have won at least two big ten titles with probably the best women’s college basketball player ever.
Lol got to love stupid people...

Glad Barta is gone, Him giving Fran a new deal was grounds for termination at any competently ran School and that does not take into account His many other failings . Bluder is a good Coach , Fran is not . Simple equation.

Be in a profession that pays more because it generates more profit?
Are you saying that Iowa women's basketball doesn't generate money? It is as lucrative as the men's program at this point with sellout crowds, merch, etc.

"The University of Iowa women's basketball team brought in over $3.8 million in total revenue in 2022-23, more than doubling what it had raised in any prior recent year"

FYI - men's basketball ($3.74 million)

Glad Barta is gone, Him giving Fran a new deal was grounds for termination at any competently ran School and that does not take into account His many other failings . Bluder is a good Coach , Fran is not . Simple equation.
Hey Dipshite with the laugh emoji, How many NCAA tourney wins does Fran have at Iowa? 4 , How many Sweet 16s has He led any Team to in His 28 Years, 0 , case closed , Go back to finger painting.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Are you saying that Iowa women's basketball doesn't generate money? It is as lucrative as the men's program at this point with sellout crowds, merch, etc.

"The University of Iowa women's basketball team brought in over $3.8 million in total revenue in 2022-23, more than doubling what it had raised in any prior recent year"

The credit for this 100% goes to CC. Not Bluder. Actually the fact that she only had the share of of one Big 10 title while CC played is embarrassing.

The credit for this 100% goes to CC. Not Bluder. Actually the fact that she only had the share of of one Big 10 title while CC played is embarrassing.

Yeah that is embarrassing 😳 WTF….i so badly wish i knew where you guys worked. You’d get a daily dose of criticism daily from me about how poorly you did your job….

• Haha
Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Lol got to love stupid people...
Martin Scorsese Movie GIF

Not exactly sure where you’re getting your numbers. Women’s basketball did bring in $3.8 million, unfortunately it cost the university $8.2 million to operate. Totaling a net loss of $4.4 million.

Men’s basketball brought in $14.9 million (not $3.7 million) and had $10.7 million in operating expenses. Men made a profit for the university of $4.3 million. Almost $9 million difference from their lady counterparts. Men’s basketball had $3.47 million revenue in ticket sales alone. Iowa men’s basketball media rights is $5.1 million, so again, where are you getting this $3.74 million figure?

Expenses paid towards coaching staff…..
Iowa women’s staff was paid $2.7 million, which is third in the B1G. Iowa men’s staff was paid $4.9 million, which is 11th in the B1G and not counting Northwestern. Only Nebraska and Minnesota paid their coaches less.

Please provide a link.

https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

Yeah that is embarrassing 😳 WTF….i so badly wish i knew where you guys worked. You’d get a daily dose of criticism daily from me about how poorly you did your job….
Well actually some yahoos would have to first come in and talk about how they deserve a raise. Then when it’s proved why they don’t deserve a raise, you can come in and yell at the people saying they don’t deserve the raise.
That’s what’s going on here.

Yeah, 100% on CC. Thank goodness Bluder didn't recruit her or have a program she wanted to play for. CC certainly has helped, if Iowa were a shite hole of a program, you think CC plays here?

Not exactly sure where you’re getting your numbers. Women’s basketball did bring in $3.8 million, unfortunately it cost the university $8.2 million to operate. Totaling a net loss of $4.4 million.

Men’s basketball brought in $14.9 million (not $3.7 million) and had $10.7 million in operating expenses. Men made a profit for the university of $4.3 million. Almost $9 million difference from their lady counterparts. Men’s basketball had $3.47 million revenue in ticket sales alone. Iowa men’s basketball media rights is $5.1 million, so again, where are you getting this $3.74 million figure?

Expenses paid towards coaching staff…..
Iowa women’s staff was paid $2.7 million, which is third in the B1G. Iowa men’s staff was paid $4.9 million, which is 11th in the B1G and not counting Northwestern. Only Nebraska and Minnesota paid their coaches less.

Please provide a link.

https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

Lots of people out in the field on most this stuff

You're not very smart.

Maybe you should just stick to football. I doubt you know too much about that either though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT