ADVERTISEMENT

Will Latinos integrate as well as Germans did into the US?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I saw this article a few weeks ago in the Economist. People of German heritage make up the largest group in the US. Unlike the grab all they can Italians and the shiftless Irish, we German folk just quietly went about making America great. Okay,
wink.r191677.gif
The article gives you the chance to think about the latest wave of immigration. Latinos have a long way to go to catch up, but by percentage they are the group moving in the fastest now.

Link from the Economist

Reactions: ClarindaA's
there are a lot more mexican restaurants than in the past. they keep Western Union in business. knife and bandana sales are up.

To which coasts are you referring? I've been to the California coast, Florida coast, Gulf coast, Mid-Atlantic coast, and the New England coast. I've been to most of the rest of the country too. I still see lots of Hispanics flying the flags from their home countries. I still hear second and third generation "immigrants" speaking Spanish as their primary language. I see the culture of gang violence they imported from the countries they fled.
Yep, doing a great job.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
I believe they will. Some studies have shown that the second generation on integrate fully

Interesting article. The comments are especially interesting when it comes to the distinctions between Austrians, present-day Germans and the Swiss. You could argue that the south Alpine Germans, Swiss, Leichensteiners and Tyrolean Austrians are the same people. Hell, it's only 3 hours drive from Munich in Germany to Bolzano in Italy. Which is a German speaking area of South Tyrol. In fact, Bavaria, which is now in Germany has more ties historically with Austrians thN they do with other regions of Germany Then you have your north Germans, Hannoverians, Prussians, Wends, Silesians, Rhinelanders etc.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

They have been doing it for 150+ years. There are a lot of Latino Sir names across the USA.

Originally posted by BubsFinn:
To which coasts are you referring?  I've been to the California coast, Florida coast, Gulf coast, Mid-Atlantic coast, and the New England coast.  I've been to most of the rest of the country too.  I still see lots of Hispanics flying the flags from their home countries.  I still hear second and third generation "immigrants" speaking Spanish as their primary language.  I see the culture of gang violence they imported from the countries they fled.
Yep, doing a great job.

Germans weren't proud of their heritage?

To steal from the TV show Nip & Tuck: "You live in America, you need to speak Spanish."

The question isn't whether Latinos will integrate with us, it's whether we'll integrate with them. They'll be the plurality in a couple of decades. Even sooner if the GOP shuts down DHS and leaves the borders wide open.

I just wish they would learn to properly dispose of trash. Driving through Mexican neighborhoods isn't much different than driving around in a land fill.

I can't string more than two words of Spanish together, yet I am compelled to watch the news on Univision and Telemundo sometimes. They make no attempt to hide the fact that they hire models to read the news. Usually models with a sizable upper deck and a scandalously short skirt.
America needs more of that.

Originally posted by KennyPowers_96:
To which coasts are you referring? Â I've been to the California coast, Florida coast, Gulf coast, Mid-Atlantic coast, and the New England coast. Â I've been to most of the rest of the country too. Â I still see lots of Hispanics flying the flags from their home countries. Â I still hear second and third generation "immigrants" speaking Spanish as their primary language. Â I see the culture of gang violence they imported from the countries they fled.
Yep, doing a great job.

Germans weren't proud of their heritage?

1914-45 put an end to that. In 1877 the Senate actually came within one vote of having all federal documents printed in English and German.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

The new German citizens in America learned to
speak English.  They did not demand anything
from the federal government.  They simply got
a job and earned a living.

Who is mowing the lawns of America? Are Latinos coming here just to sit around? Are they not here to earn a living?

Who exactly is "demanding" anything from the government?

Originally posted by KennyPowers_96:

speak English. They did not demand anything
from the federal government. They simply got

Who is mowing the lawns of America? Are Latinos coming here just to sit around? Are they not here to earn a living?

Who exactly is "demanding" anything from the government?

There is a good show on PBS about Italian Americans showing this week. Latinos are not from one country in particular, The Spanish have been here since before the English and French. Columbus was sent here by Spain. Its not like their culture has not been around for awhile. So will they integrate, like I said they already are and have been. It will take new immigrants a couple of generations.

speak English. They did not demand anything
from the federal government. They simply got
Different times, different mores. What's the point of trotting out that tired observation? It's not like we can go back to those times. But if you want to argue that we should impose such hardships by government fiat, maybe you can explain how you see that working.

Do we build more prisons and spend $50K per person per year to lock up people caught speaking a foreign language? Should we ban foreign language broadcasts and newspapers? Please tell us how to do this without creating a nightmare.

nope because they do not want to. they want to change the USa into mexico not the other way around. same crap as Obama wants, when he said he wants to fundamentally transform america

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Originally posted by ottumwan in tx:
nope because they do not want to. they want to change the USa into mexico not the other way around. same crap as Obama wants, when he said he wants to fundamentally transform america
Mexico is a triumph of capitalism. Other than the Spanish part, why would you object?

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

Originally posted by ottumwan in tx:
Mexico is a triumph of capitalism. Other than the Spanish part, why would you object?
they are not, they are triumph in third world welfare to poors and drug running illegally and getting America to educate them illegally and pay handouts: this is not capitalism. and they have a rich upper class and tons of poors whom they expect us to take care of. capitalism would be them taking care of their own.

Well, they've made little to no effort thus far, so I'm not optimistic about it.
This! They didn't start putting ads, prices, and just about everything else in the world in German after they immigrated to the U.S., the Mexicali's have no incentive to integrate, they expect us to bend over backwards for them.

Originally posted by Arbitr8:
Well, they've made little to no effort thus far, so I'm not optimistic about it.
This! They didn't start putting ads, prices, and just about everything else in the world in German after they immigrated to the U.S., the Mexicali's have no incentive to integrate, they expect us to bend over backwards for them.

Link? I think your anger is misdirected...focus on your corporate masters, since they are the ones pandering to them.

Originally posted by hawkitd:

Originally posted by aflachawk:
I believe they will.  Some studies have shown that the second generation on integrate fully
WAY, WAY, WAY  past 2nd generation now

For which Latino family are you speaking? Or are you saying all of them are?

To which coasts are you referring? I've been to the California coast, Florida coast, Gulf coast, Mid-Atlantic coast, and the New England coast. I've been to most of the rest of the country too. I still see lots of Hispanics flying the flags from their home countries. I still hear second and third generation "immigrants" speaking Spanish as their primary language. I see the culture of gang violence they imported from the countries they fled.
Yep, doing a great job.
You were about two stanzas away from writing a Woody Guthrie jingle.....

Yep, doing a great job.
Now you did it, you just interjected facts into a conversation with Flick.

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:

Originally posted by Arbitr8:
To which coasts are you referring?  I've been to the California coast, Florida coast, Gulf coast, Mid-Atlantic coast, and the New England coast.  I've been to most of the rest of the country too.  I still see lots of Hispanics flying the flags from their home countries.  I still hear second and third generation "immigrants" speaking Spanish as their primary language.  I see the culture of gang violence they imported from the countries they fled.
Yep, doing a great job.
Now you did it, you just interjected facts into a conversation with Flick.
In addition to having no idea how basic punctuation works, Arbitr8, it's now obvious that you can't tell the difference between "facts" and anecdotal evidence. Go back to hitting refresh on the World Herald's website. It's all your good for, and I use "good" very loosely.

This post was edited on 3/3 2:32 AM by FlickShagwell

I agree with you on Arb, but it's kind of funny that you used "Your" instead of "You're".

Originally posted by lucas80:

I saw this article a few weeks ago in the Economist. People of German heritage make up the largest group in the US. Unlike the grab all they can Italians and the shiftless Irish, we German folk just quietly went about making America great. Okay,
wink.r191677.gif
The article gives you the chance to think about the latest wave of immigration. Latinos have a long way to go to catch up, but by percentage they are the group moving in the fastest now.

Each generation has the same questions asked of them, when are you going to become an American. Be they Italian, Mexican or French or German.

Music has been a big help with integration. Only in America A melting pot means we all get a little bit of everyones culture and music and turn it into our own.

http://www.popmatters.com/article/69786-50-years-after-his-death-ritchie-valens-family-works-to-keep-his-musi/

This post was edited on 3/6 5:00 PM by wildcatdad

This aged well now that biden and co. are allowing the country to be overrun by masses of ILLEGAL invaders.

I'm trying to remember when Latinos haven't been integrated into American culture. Had to be before my lifetime. In my lifetime Bosnians have been pretty well integrated. Also IDK how voluntarily German-Americans "integrated well." They got Freedom Friesified during WWI. They were still speaking German at least at home. Then a couple three world wars later, you keep that kraut crap to yourself and eventually forget it.

Biden let a New York City’s population into country this year alone.
Not really the point of the op. But whatever.

I do know that in the 1900s it took most immigrants 3 generations to speak English. The Latino population typically only takes 2 generations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT