ADVERTISEMENT

Will the next recession hurt Millenials the most?

BrunoMars420

HB Legend
Feb 14, 2016
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/millennials-are-screwed-recession/596728/

Pretty good article on how the next recession will effect my generation.

“The trade war is dragging on. The yield curve is inverting. Investors are fleeing to safety. Global growth is slowing. The stock market is dipping. The Millennials are screwed.

Recessions are never good for anyone. A sputtering economy means miserable financial, emotional, and physical-health consequences for everyone from infants to retirees. But the next one—if it happens, when it starts happening—stands to hit this much-maligned generation particularly hard. For adults between the ages of 22 and 38, after all, the last recession never really ended.

Millennials got bodied in the downturn, have struggled in the recovery, and are now left more vulnerable than other, older age cohorts. As they pitch toward middle age, they are failing to make it to the middle class, and are likely to be the first generation in modern economic history to end up worse off than their parents. The next downturn might make sure of it, stalling their careers and sucking away their wages right as the Millennials enter their prime earning years.

Derek Thompson: Millennials didn’t kill the economy. The economy killed Millennials.

It was the last downturn—the once-a-century Great Recession—that set them on this doddering economic course. The Millennials graduated into the worst jobs market in 80 years. That did not just mean a few years of high unemployment, or a couple years living in their parents’ basements. It meant a full decade of lost wages. The generation unlucky enough to enter the labor market in a recession suffers “significant” earnings losses that take years and years to rebound, studies show, something that hard data now back up. As of 2014, Millennial men were earning no more than Gen X men were when they were the same age, and 10 percent less than Baby Boomers—despite the economy being far bigger and the country far richer. Millennial women were earning less than Gen X women.

Kids of the 1980s and 1990s have had a new, huge, financially catastrophic demand on their meager post-recession earnings, too: a trillion dollars of educational debt. About a quarter of Gen Xers who went to college took out loans to do so, compared with half of Millennials. And Millennials ended up taking out double the amount that Gen Xers did. No wonder, given that the cost of tuition has gone up more than 100 percent since 2001, even after accounting for inflation.

MORE BY ANNIE LOWREY
The toxic combination of lower earnings and higher student-loan balances—combined with tight credit in the recovery years—has led to Millennials getting shut out of the housing market, and thus losing a seminal way to build wealth. The generation’s homeownership rate is a full 8 percentage points lower than that of the Gen Xers or the Baby Boomers when they were the same age; the median age of home-buyers has risen all the way to 46, the oldest it has been since the National Association of Realtors started keeping records four decades ago.

Read: How WeWork has perfectly captured the Millennial id

As a result, Millennials have not benefited from the dramatic rebound in housing prices that has occurred since the financial collapse and the foreclosure crisis. Millennials have also been forced to shell out hundreds of billions of dollars in rent as housing costs have skyrocketed in many urban areas. This represents a large generational transfer of wealth from the young to the old. Boomers own the houses and bar municipalities from building more of them, thus benefiting from rising prices and soaking up endless rent checks forked over by younger and poorer families.

Cost pressures have also made it difficult or impossible for Millennials to save or invest. The share of Americans under the age of 35 who own stocks has meandered down from 55 percent in 2001 to 37 percent in 2018, in part because employers are less likely to offer retirement-savings plans and in part because Millennials have nothing left over at the end of the month to put away. Virtually all members of the cohort are “not saving adequately,” experts warn, and two-thirds of Millennials have zero retirement savings. This means that Millennials have benefited not a bit from the decade-long boom in stock prices, as their parents and grandparents have.

Millennials are worth less on paper than members of older generations are, and are worth less on paper than members of older generations were at the same point in their lives. The net worth of your average Millennial household is 40 percent lower than for Gen X households in 2001 and 20 percent lower than for Baby Boomers’ households at the end of the 1980s.

Read: The myth of the Millennial entrepreneur

Could the Millennials make up this lost ground? Perhaps, if wage growth suddenly and dramatically accelerates, urban cores start to build millions of new homes, and Congress announces a student-loan debt jubilee. But financial experts consider it unlikely. Millennials missed out on the big asset boom that occurred between 2010 and the present, and “appreciation is unlikely to be as rapid in the near future as it was during the recent period,” argue economists at the Federal Reserve. “With the baby boomers occupying most of the top jobs and much of the housing, Millennials are doing less well than their parents,” concluded Credit Suisse. “We expect only a minority of high achievers and those in high-demand sectors such as technology or finance to effectively overcome the ‘millennial disadvantage.’”

The next recession—this year, next year, whenever it comes—will likely make that Millennial disadvantage even worse. Already, Millennials have put off saving and buying homes, as well as getting married and having babies, because of their crummy jobs and weighty student loans. A downturn that leads to higher unemployment and lower wages will force Millennials to wait even longer to start accumulating wealth, making it far harder for them to accumulate any wealth at all. (Compound interest is magic, after all.) Their trajectory, already terrible, might get even worse.

And Millennial suffering won’t just hurt Millennials. There is accumulating evidencethat the economy is more sclerotic and slower-growing than it might be if the Millennials were able to buy homes, have families, start businesses, and spend like other generations—if the young were not existing just to pump up asset values for the old. Which reminds me—there’s one generation that might fare even worse than Millennials: Generation Z. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.”

I’m sure it will

High student loan balances have put us behind the eight ball as far as getting everything else going (namely, not being able to save for a house down payment).

There’s more to it obviously but I do think the next recession will be pretty painful. I’m a pretty firm believer in the student loan bubble and when that pops, it’ll be pretty ugly.

waaaaahhhhhhhhhh…… cry me a river.

The great recession happened when I was 33 and struggling to get into the middle class. We lost everything and had to start over. What is your point? I am pretty sure each and every generation has went through a tough economic down turn.

If millennials are as smart as they claim to be, they would start saving now and when the recession comes, start saving more.

waaaaahhhhhhhhhh…… cry me a river.

The great recession happened when I was 33 and struggling to get into the middle class. We lost everything and had to start over. What is your point? I am pretty sure each and every generation has went through a tough economic down turn.

If millennials are as smart as they claim to be, they would start saving now and when the recession comes, start saving more.

Was this intended to be irony? If so, nicely done. If accidental, still amusing.

Did you not read the article? It laid out pretty well that millennials don’t have anything left over to save after paying student loan debt and sky high rent prices.

Reactions: MitchLL
They always seem to have enough money to fill the breweries / bars in expensive urban areas and pay high rent to live downtown.

They made their choices. The could have lived in older apartments in suburbs and saved money and not gone out drinking three nights a week. I realize that hurts their social media status but they made their choices.

You would think they have to live downtown in a new $1000 a month apartment to hear them talk.

I am over 50 and I wouldn’t want to pay the prices for housing in downtown Des Moines but we seem to have all kinds of college grads begging to live down there. No doubt some are paying minimums on loans to swing it. Of course they could live in some old apartment building in ankeny or Altoona for 1/2 but that is unacceptable. They would rather get their loans forgiven and keep on keeping on.

Last edited:
Did you not read the article? It laid out pretty well that millennials don’t have anything left over to save after paying student loan debt and sky high rent prices.

Waaaahhhhhhhh....... cry me a ****ing river.

Sounds like a bunch a lame ass excuses to me. Here’s a thought. Don’t rack up a bunch of college debt, live with mom for a while, find more roommates, live in a cheaper place, finishes much college education before you graduate high school as you can, have a cheaper phone yes, have a cheaper car, etc. etc.

Reactions: goldmom
Has there ever been a generation of younger people come around where the older folks are like "man, them sonsabitches really can work hard". Of course recessions hurt the youngest and those near retirement the most.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
I’m thinking about crowdfunding (ultra-millennial style) a company to buy up a bunch of retirement communities and make boomers feel the pain. I’m talking increase the rates until they are begging for rent control, avocado toast, food trucks, craft beer, rosé, no cable tv options (streaming only with parental controls on Fox News). Should be fun.

Waaaahhhhhhhh....... cry me a ****ing river.

Sounds like a bunch a lame ass excuses to me. Here’s a thought. Don’t rack up a bunch of college debt, live with mom for a while, find more roommates, live in a cheaper place, finishes much college education before you graduate high school as you can, have a cheaper phone yes, have a cheaper car, etc. etc.

You seem really smart. You must work in finance if you're capable of advice like that.

Op aren’t you going to have 6 million bucks in your 50’s?

$4 millionish***

I’m not worried for myself and my family but more worried about my generation following the lead of the boomers by not saving for retirement and this next recession hurting us even more as a whole. We came into the market when the big recession hit and now the majority are entry level employees that don’t have a ton saved and with this next recession abound it can do some real damage.

If you don’t earn anything today and haven’t been able to save any money to this point how is the coming recession really going to hurt you all that much.

If you didn’t capitalize on the past decade run of jobs, job mobility, and equities it is your own fault. Stop blaming your current lot in life on others and things typically start to get better bc your focus improves on what you need to do to improve things in your life.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
You seem really smart. You must work in finance if you're capable of advice like that.

Thanks. I am really smart. Now tell me where I am wrong. Oh, btw, millennials are also set to be the generation that inherits the most wealth ever.

Thanks. I am really smart. Now tell me where I am wrong. Oh, btw, millennials are also set to be the generation that inherits the most wealth ever.

I wouldn't say you're wrong. Just more amusing/silly.

Also seemingly very bitter for someone who doesn't like whining.

I wouldn't say you're wrong. Just more amusing/silly.

Also seemingly very bitter for someone who doesn't like whining.

Not bitter, just don’t want to hear pathetic excuses. You sound like one that has all the excuses already lined up.

Not bitter, just don’t want to hear pathetic excuses. You sound like one that has all the excuses already lined up.

Is it because I complained that I was 33 and struggling to get into the middle class when the great recession happened? Is it because I complained about having to start over?!!!

You are what you complain about, which is why I asked you if you were intending to be ironic.

Then I assumed you were just especially bitter, you say that's not the case, then I assumed you're just dumb, but you claim to be really smart...

So here we are.

Reactions: dgordo
Is it because I complained that I was 33 and struggling to get into the middle class when the great recession happened? Is it because I complained about having to start over?!!!

You are what you complain about, which is why I asked you if you were intending to be ironic.

Then I assumed you were just especially bitter, you say that's not the case, then I assumed you're just dumb, but you claim to be really smart...

So here we are.

Haha...... someone sure likes to make a lot of assumptions. Hopefully not as many excuses. Not hopeful though.

And I wasn’t complaining. Just stating that every generation has their down economies. If the millennial generation didn’t take advantage of one of the greatest stretches of prosperity, that is on them and their excuses.

Last edited:
No, didn't read as advised by @jellyfish10, however I know only about 33% of the population over 25 graduates college with a 4 year degree so 66% of millennials have zero student debt. With interest rates at 4% for years everyone should own a home vs. rent...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/millennials-are-screwed-recession/596728/

Pretty good article on how the next recession will effect my generation.

“The trade war is dragging on. The yield curve is inverting. Investors are fleeing to safety. Global growth is slowing. The stock market is dipping. The Millennials are screwed.

Recessions are never good for anyone. A sputtering economy means miserable financial, emotional, and physical-health consequences for everyone from infants to retirees. But the next one—if it happens, when it starts happening—stands to hit this much-maligned generation particularly hard. For adults between the ages of 22 and 38, after all, the last recession never really ended.

Millennials got bodied in the downturn, have struggled in the recovery, and are now left more vulnerable than other, older age cohorts. As they pitch toward middle age, they are failing to make it to the middle class, and are likely to be the first generation in modern economic history to end up worse off than their parents. The next downturn might make sure of it, stalling their careers and sucking away their wages right as the Millennials enter their prime earning years.

Derek Thompson: Millennials didn’t kill the economy. The economy killed Millennials.

It was the last downturn—the once-a-century Great Recession—that set them on this doddering economic course. The Millennials graduated into the worst jobs market in 80 years. That did not just mean a few years of high unemployment, or a couple years living in their parents’ basements. It meant a full decade of lost wages. The generation unlucky enough to enter the labor market in a recession suffers “significant” earnings losses that take years and years to rebound, studies show, something that hard data now back up. As of 2014, Millennial men were earning no more than Gen X men were when they were the same age, and 10 percent less than Baby Boomers—despite the economy being far bigger and the country far richer. Millennial women were earning less than Gen X women.

Kids of the 1980s and 1990s have had a new, huge, financially catastrophic demand on their meager post-recession earnings, too: a trillion dollars of educational debt. About a quarter of Gen Xers who went to college took out loans to do so, compared with half of Millennials. And Millennials ended up taking out double the amount that Gen Xers did. No wonder, given that the cost of tuition has gone up more than 100 percent since 2001, even after accounting for inflation.

MORE BY ANNIE LOWREY
The toxic combination of lower earnings and higher student-loan balances—combined with tight credit in the recovery years—has led to Millennials getting shut out of the housing market, and thus losing a seminal way to build wealth. The generation’s homeownership rate is a full 8 percentage points lower than that of the Gen Xers or the Baby Boomers when they were the same age; the median age of home-buyers has risen all the way to 46, the oldest it has been since the National Association of Realtors started keeping records four decades ago.

Read: How WeWork has perfectly captured the Millennial id

As a result, Millennials have not benefited from the dramatic rebound in housing prices that has occurred since the financial collapse and the foreclosure crisis. Millennials have also been forced to shell out hundreds of billions of dollars in rent as housing costs have skyrocketed in many urban areas. This represents a large generational transfer of wealth from the young to the old. Boomers own the houses and bar municipalities from building more of them, thus benefiting from rising prices and soaking up endless rent checks forked over by younger and poorer families.

Cost pressures have also made it difficult or impossible for Millennials to save or invest. The share of Americans under the age of 35 who own stocks has meandered down from 55 percent in 2001 to 37 percent in 2018, in part because employers are less likely to offer retirement-savings plans and in part because Millennials have nothing left over at the end of the month to put away. Virtually all members of the cohort are “not saving adequately,” experts warn, and two-thirds of Millennials have zero retirement savings. This means that Millennials have benefited not a bit from the decade-long boom in stock prices, as their parents and grandparents have.

Millennials are worth less on paper than members of older generations are, and are worth less on paper than members of older generations were at the same point in their lives. The net worth of your average Millennial household is 40 percent lower than for Gen X households in 2001 and 20 percent lower than for Baby Boomers’ households at the end of the 1980s.

Read: The myth of the Millennial entrepreneur

Could the Millennials make up this lost ground? Perhaps, if wage growth suddenly and dramatically accelerates, urban cores start to build millions of new homes, and Congress announces a student-loan debt jubilee. But financial experts consider it unlikely. Millennials missed out on the big asset boom that occurred between 2010 and the present, and “appreciation is unlikely to be as rapid in the near future as it was during the recent period,” argue economists at the Federal Reserve. “With the baby boomers occupying most of the top jobs and much of the housing, Millennials are doing less well than their parents,” concluded Credit Suisse. “We expect only a minority of high achievers and those in high-demand sectors such as technology or finance to effectively overcome the ‘millennial disadvantage.’”

The next recession—this year, next year, whenever it comes—will likely make that Millennial disadvantage even worse. Already, Millennials have put off saving and buying homes, as well as getting married and having babies, because of their crummy jobs and weighty student loans. A downturn that leads to higher unemployment and lower wages will force Millennials to wait even longer to start accumulating wealth, making it far harder for them to accumulate any wealth at all. (Compound interest is magic, after all.) Their trajectory, already terrible, might get even worse.

And Millennial suffering won’t just hurt Millennials. There is accumulating evidencethat the economy is more sclerotic and slower-growing than it might be if the Millennials were able to buy homes, have families, start businesses, and spend like other generations—if the young were not existing just to pump up asset values for the old. Which reminds me—there’s one generation that might fare even worse than Millennials: Generation Z. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.”
Freaking cause recessions are “too hard” is the most millennial thing ever #BrunoMars420

Reactions: unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT