ADVERTISEMENT

Windmills in Iowa

Not yellow and red light. They do not scatter like white/blue light and impact stargazing.
Make sure you keep a hand in the night-time wind turbine photos you take, so we know they are legit...
I will provide those photos, gladly, if you accept the bet. You going to put yourself in time out for a month when I prove you to be dumb?

Put your money where your mouth is

Here is another tidbit for those that think they are super awesome, while seeing them a handful of times a year.

According to the midamerican energy website there are 3400 wind turbines in Iowa that produce 7500 megawatts of energy a year. Rough math, each turbine produces 2.2 megawatts. Again MAE website, each single family home uses 861 kw of energy a month. So each of those turbines can power my one home for 2.5 months. You would need 5 for my 1 home and that doesn't account for thr energy it takes to produce the damn things and put them up, and they don't have an endless life.

That's why I say I'm OK with nuclear, you could have 1 place that powered the entire stste not 5 turbines per home. They are incredibly inefficient and frankly if it were nor for huge subsidies by thr government they never would have made it off the ground, subsidies the government doesn't care if it loses money on because we the tax payer foot the bill.

Here is another tidbit for those that think they are super awesome, while seeing them a handful of times a year.

According to the midamerican energy website there are 3400 wind turbines in Iowa that produce 7500 megawatts of energy a year. Rough math, each turbine produces 2.2 megawatts. Again MAE website, each single family home uses 861 kw of energy a month. So each of those turbines can power my one home for 2.5 months. You would need 5 for my 1 home and that doesn't account for thr energy it takes to produce the damn things and put them up, and they don't have an endless life.

That's why I say I'm OK with nuclear, you could have 1 place that powered the entire stste not 5 turbines per home. They are incredibly inefficient and frankly if it were nor for huge subsidies by thr government they never would have made it off the ground, subsidies the government doesn't care if it loses money on because we the tax payer foot the bill.
This is from the MAE website. "Our wind farms generate enough electricity to power over 2.3 million average households each year." There are just over 3 million people in Iowa. I don’t know that your numbers are accurate here.

This is from the MAE website. "Our wind farms generate enough electricity to power over 2.3 million average households each year." There are just over 3 million people in Iowa. I don’t know that your numbers are accurate here.

My apologies, I used the wrong number. I got the 7500 from the capacity. I'm telling you though, these things are not super awesome.

MidAmerican has over 7,500 megawatts of clean, renewable energy generated from more than 3,400 turbines across the state. Our wind farms generate enough electricity to power over 2.3 million average households each year. We're also exploring new technologies – like battery storage – to make wind energy go further.

This says the average yearly output for inshore is 2.75.

But it also says running at 1/3 capacity can "power" 460 homes. Indont get the math other than to say "power" means send some power to not fully power.

* that is better than I had thought they were.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
You are speaking out of your ass little man.

Again, I live here:

20240328-082955.jpg
The hand. Must see the hand.
White lights? Red lights?
What is the pic showing?
I think I am seeing towers in the distance, but no lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joes Place
I will provide those photos, gladly, if you accept the bet. You going to put yourself in time out for a month when I prove you to be dumb?

Put your money where your mouth is
You're not posting any "undoctored" photos, and we both know it.

Post one with your car w/ rear/side lights on, so we can see the relative brightness of everything.
Don't be a pussy.

You're not posting any "undoctored" photos, and we both know it.

Post one with your car w/ rear/side lights on, so we can see the relative brightness of everything.
Don't be a pussy.
If I put my lights in the foreground of a photo and have lights miles away in the background of course they are going to look miniscule you fukcing twat.

* to that point. If you put a big ass blinking light miles away and there is a little tiny dot of light millions of miles away it gets dimmer, which is the whole point.

Do you want the bet or not? There is going to be a white light and a blinking red light.

Rough math, each turbine produces 2.2 megawatts. Again MAE website, each single family home uses 861 kw of energy a month. So each of those turbines can power my one home for 2.5 months. You would need 5 for my 1 home

You're not making sense, again.

You need to learn what a MW-hr or kW-hr is. That's how you're billed for energy use.

If I put my lights in the foreground of a photo and have lights miles away in the background of course they are going to look miniscule
That's right. Because that's what they ACTUALLY look like at night.

When you set "night mode" on any phone, it will amplify things well beyond how they actually look to the human eye. Ergo, w/o some "standard" light source in the frame, your photos will be worthless in terms of viewing "light pollution".

Keep reading.

Bet or not?
I'll bet you that you cannot take a coherent photo.

Just admit you were wrong about viewing "stars" being affected by turbine lights. It is simply not true. Multiple posters have called you out on the stupidity.

So, post your pics. Show us how "terrible" things are.

That's right. Because that's what they ACTUALLY look like at night.

When you set "night mode" on any phone, it will amplify things well beyond how they actually look to the human eye. Ergo, w/o some "standard" light source in the frame, your photos will be worthless in terms of viewing "light pollution".
That's not the task, the task is showing you the lights. I have to assume you have enough intelligence to understand that dozens/hundreds of lights that can be seen from miles away put off light pollution for viewing the night sky.

I have to assume you have enough intelligence to understand that dozens/hundreds of lights that can be seen from miles away put off light pollution for viewing the night sky.

NOT red lights, Cletus. The light pollution that you see is from cities and towns. Told you this multiple times now.
Red and yellow are not scattered. Blue and white are.

I'll bet you that you cannot take a coherent photo.

Just admit you were wrong about viewing "stars" being affected by turbine lights. It is simply not true. Multiple posters have called you out on the stupidity.

So, post your pics. Show us how "terrible" things are.
Define "coherent photo". And as part of that, when I do so, you piss off for 30 days, not just jump on an alt. Right?

Lights that can be seen from miles away sure as shit impact the night sky viewing. Your bullshit about different colors is a typical Joe tangent. You want to know what else impacts your eyes ability to focus on a light millions of miles away? A giant red blinking one in line of sight 10 miles away.

These thongs are not pn the horizon they are hundreds of feet in the air.
Nobody but you has called me.out regarding the lights Joe, again you chose to lie. It's pathetic you have resorted to this.

You want to know what else impacts your eyes ability to focus on a light millions of miles away? A giant red blinking one in line of sight 10 miles away.

AGAIN, those lights are on the horizon. They are not more than a few degrees above the horizon. The stars are all across the sky, well above those blinking lights.

Multiple people in this thread have pointed this out to you, and you still don't appear to 'get it'.

AGAIN, those lights are on the horizon. They are not more than a few degrees above the horizon. The stars are all across the sky, well above those blinking lights.

Multiple people in this thread have pointed this out to you, and you still don't appear to 'get it'.
Again you lie. Why Joe?

You going to piss off for 30 days if I go take this photo or not?

Again you lie.

No, really. Yellow and red light DO NOT scatter in the atmosphere, and DO NOT impact the views of stars.

Blue light and white light DO scatter and create a "light fog" that obscures all but the brightest stars.
That is not a "lie"; that is a "fact".

Why do you wish to remain so uninformed on the most basic of topics? Is it because you have to defend your idiotic statement that the red blinking lights affect your ability to see the stars?

No, really. Yellow and red light DO NOT scatter in the atmosphere, and DO NOT impact the views of stars.

Blue light and white light DO scatter and create a "light fog" that obscures all but the brightest stars.
That is not a "lie"; that is a "fact".

Why do you wish to remain so uninformed on the most basic of topics? Is it because you have to defend your idiotic statement that the red blinking lights affect your ability to see the stars?
Not only do I not give a shit about any of that, I don't care about the price of tea in China.

What does impact viewing is two things, the giant white light on them, and the big ass blinking red light. Again, think of trying to look at a star if there were a blinking red Christmas light in your field of vision, and these things are ****ing huge.

You gonna piss off for 30 days or not? Last chance if you don't say yes in your next post I'm saying **** it and relaxing for the night.

Up here in NW Iowa we have a large wind farm...the taxes from theses turbines constitute a full 1/3 rd of the county budget...which keeps our property taxes lower.

They are couple miles away..red lights don't bother me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT