ADVERTISEMENT

Windmills in Iowa

ihhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
Fort Lauderdale
So I’m sitting here in the Henry County Iowa courthouse to listen to the supervisors discuss the windmill proposals. Looks like they are wanting to build some 650ft tall turbines.

Anyone have experience dealing with these. It looks like the land around my property is all signed up for the easement.

It appears that the locals are super pissed off about them. There are about 10,000 no signatures and 140 yes signatures.

Live shot of OP, Iowa’s own “man of La Mancha.”

704FE3D1-4A7D-495F-A742-2D8456861F60.gif

I live in western Dallas county near the Guthrie county line, There are a ton of windmills near Stuart ( guthrie). The lights are fine when you don't have to see them 24/7 but if my view went from a beautiful country view to a red blinking light I would be pissed.

So I’m sitting here in the Henry County Iowa courthouse to listen to the supervisors discuss the windmill proposals. Looks like they are wanting to build some 650ft tall turbines.

Anyone have experience dealing with these. It looks like the land around my property is all signed up for the easement.

It appears that the locals are super pissed off about them. There are about 10,000 no signatures and 140 yes signatures.
Caused huge issues here in Page County

We have a lot around us. Some people living close said it screwed up their TV. I assume they had Dish.

They do make noise kind of spooky to ride bike past them in the dark and hear the swoosh.

I think it’s like winning the lottery if they build one on your land.

Reactions: nelly02
Dim Kim's administration keeps cutting revenue to local governments, so County BOS need to generate income in other areas.

This is the end result.

BAU

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Most years they are pests…. This year the weather ****ed us
I call them the bird that doesn't exist. There are 400 million of them and they are nowhere to be found.

Not to be "that guy" but do you know anyone in your area that would be worth building a relationship.with yo possibly hunt them next year?

I got brain cancer from a wind farm.

650ft? Are you sure that number is accurate? That's more than twice the height of the Statue of Liberty.

We have a lot around us. Some people living close said it screwed up their TV. I assume they had Dish.

They do make noise kind of spooky to ride bike past them in the dark and hear the swoosh.

Well you better save your lotto winnings because you are responsible for disposing of that giant eyesore once they start to fall apart and they are no longer being used.

Can’t imagine it’s very cheap to get rid of that thing.

That’s what I have heard anyway. Maybe that has changed the last few years

Well you better save your lotto winnings because you are responsible for disposing of that giant eyesore once they start to fall apart and they are no longer being used.

Unless the laws in Iowa are different removal of the wind turbine after it's time of use is over should be on the company that owns them and that should be written into the original contract.

There used to be a "turbine dump" near Lake Mills years ago.

I believe wind turbines today have more recyclable material in them.

They started building wind farms in Benton County, Indiana about 15-20 years ago and I think it has been very well embraced. Construction of these farms has also spread to surrounding counties, like White County, Indiana. One of the side benefits has been improvements in the county roads as the turbine construction crews need heavy duty roads to handle the construction equipment, not to mention the improved local revenues.

How Benton County Created a Lasting Economic Impact with Wind Energy

White County, Indiana saves money and boosts the economy with wind energy

I’m a Henry county resident. It is interesting to me that farmers who were all about being able to determine what happens to their land, when it pertained to eminent domain for pipelines, are now all about government regulation for wind turbines.

Hog lots that make the surrounding land uninhabitable are fine. A windmill is not. I wonder what the difference is?

There's a large stretch of them near the FILs place. Maybe a mile away. Can't hear them ever and only really notice them at night when you see the red lights. During the day you sort of get used to them being there. Sounds like the handful of farmers in that area that have them make out quite well for allowing them placed.

Not true. The company that owns them does all maintenance on the roads and structure and if they ever decide to deactivate it they would also remove it at their cost. There's zero cost to the land owner except the small space they lose to crops where these are placed, but I'm told the $$$ they are paid far greater.

I'd much rather have them nearby than a hog lot.

I’m a Henry county resident. It is interesting to me that farmers who were all about being able to determine what happens to their land, when it pertained to eminent domain for pipelines, are now all about government regulation for wind turbines.

Hog lots that make the surrounding land uninhabitable are fine. A windmill is not. I wonder what the difference is?
The pros for this are the farmers getting the easement payment. Most of the folks there against the. are residents of the small towns or very small farmers.

Not true. The company that owns them does all maintenance on the roads and structure and if they ever decide to deactivate it they would also remove it at their cost. There's zero cost to the land owner except the small space they lose to crops where these are placed, but I'm told the $$$ they are paid far greater.

I'd much rather have them nearby than a hog lot.
The hog buildings are in unbearable. I only have 2 in the area around me and the winds are such that I never smell them. My parents are 1/4 mile to the east and they get a direct hit

My niece's husband is pretty thankful for the ones they built on his land.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

You heard wrong. They are owned and fully maintained by the power company. There is a course at DMACC for maintenance and repair of these things.

Hate it when technology interrupts my view of GPS planted rows of genetically modified corn and soybeans.
When was the last time you drove to a place that had almost zero light pollution and looked at the stars?

The night sky is one of my favorite parts about living in the country, I'd be pissed if one of these were in my neighbors yard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT