ADVERTISEMENT

Windmills in Iowa

Not true. The company that owns them does all maintenance on the roads and structure and if they ever decide to deactivate it they would also remove it at their cost. There's zero cost to the land owner except the small space they lose to crops where these are placed, but I'm told the $$$ they are paid far greater.

I'd much rather have them nearby than a hog lot.
Sounds like I was given false information. Good to hear land owners don’t have to pay.
Although if one was on my land, I’d still set aside some of that money to be on the safe side.
Company could go bankrupt or put some fine print in there or pretty much anything to weasel out of having to repair/dispose of their garbage.

Sounds like I was given false information. Good to hear land owners don’t have to pay.
Although if one was on my land, I’d still set aside some of that money to be on the safe side.
Company could go bankrupt or put some fine print in there or pretty much anything to weasel out of having to repair/dispose of their garbage.
Wind Farm contracts have escrow accounts in them for decommissioning.
It's b******* no matter how many times people say it

When was the last time you drove to a place that had almost zero light pollution and looked at the stars?

The night sky is one of my favorite parts about living in the country, I'd be pissed if one of these were in my neighbors yard.

Yawn. OP is talking about land he doesn't even live near, don't care

They started building wind farms in Benton County, Indiana about 15-20 years ago and I think it has been very well embraced. Construction of these farms has also spread to surrounding counties, like White County, Indiana. One of the side benefits has been improvements in the county roads as the turbine construction crews need heavy duty roads to handle the construction equipment, not to mention the improved local revenues.

How Benton County Created a Lasting Economic Impact with Wind Energy

White County, Indiana saves money and boosts the economy with wind energy

Also pushes a ton of $$ into the local economies.

Reactions: TheCainer
The pros for this are the farmers getting the easement payment. Most of the folks there against the. are residents of the small towns or very small farmers.

So, the "Party of Less Government" wants to restrict what farmers can do with their land, which does not impact the adjacent lands with any form of pollution, whatsoever (unlike CAFOs, which can pollute watersheds for miles around the site, along with the air pollution/smells)

To give you an idea of how fuked I’ll be, my acreage I bought is the little rectangle surrounded by the acres that have the easement on it.

Oh, yeah....ur gonna get the Wind Cancer Rays from all sides there.

Uh...they don't contribute to "light pollution" that affects stargazing. Those are city lights, Cletus.
You have no ****ing clue how much light a windmill farm puts off , do you?

I live about 8 miles from one "cleatus", they sure as shit put off light pollution and when you move out to open space, to enjoy open space, a giant white light and a big ass blinking red light you can see from miles awy are sure as shit light pollution.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
We have about 225 of them in our district. They are huge money makers for the school and have helped reduce the property tax rate for other property owners by a fairly significant amount.

Lots of people complained when they first put them up, but I'm sure they appreciate it now, or at least they should. Also there's just corn fields and a few rolling hills around here so I can't say that it really messed up anyone's view, unless they're just generally unhappy people.

So, the "Party of Less Government" wants to restrict what farmers can do with their land, which does not impact the adjacent lands with any form of pollution, whatsoever (unlike CAFOs, which can pollute watersheds for miles around the site, along with the air pollution/smells)
I’ve asked this question on Facebook in the local groups and there are simply no answers given. Republicans, and the people here protesting this are diehard republicans, are all about private land use until they see it being used for something they see as green, or lefty. Then those individual landowners are absolutely wrong and need to be beaten down by the government.

What a bunch of local yokels thinking that wind farms are an eye sore or simply don’t want them

I’m a Henry county resident. It is interesting to me that farmers who were all about being able to determine what happens to their land, when it pertained to eminent domain for pipelines, are now all about government regulation for wind turbines.

Hog lots that make the surrounding land uninhabitable are fine. A windmill is not. I wonder what the difference is?

Their cult leader told them they are bad

I’ve asked this question on Facebook in the local groups and there are simply no answers given. Republicans, and the people here protesting this are diehard republicans, are all about private land use until they see it being used for something they see as green, or lefty. Then those individual landowners are absolutely wrong and need to be beaten down by the government.
Based on what I witnessed today at the meeting, politics weren’t t discussed at all.

So they blocking new roads and urban development as well? New subdivisions not an eyesore? Des Moines metro no longer allowed to expand? Highways and interstates (and their actual noise and cancer-causing particulate pollution) getting banned by counties? Why weren't coal and gas power plants built out in the countryside with lights visible for miles banned?

It’s accurate. There is only one that tall in Iowa so far.
Most of them in Iowa measure 300’ from the ground to the rotor/hub. If you include a blade length extending vertically up from the rotor it’s closer to 400’ from the ground.

You’re going to be buried in bird carcasses soon and on a daily basis thereafter.

Better invest in a large and sturdy shovel.
We have a ton of eagles here. I was at dad’s place and he had a goat have twins. They were about 4 hours old. We were standing along the fence and a freaking eagle swooped down and grabbed a baby goat and flew off.

It got the 2nd one a few hours later

Yes.

Basically, none, aside from the blinking red warning lights for airplanes.
You continue to speak out of your ass. When you live in an area of pitch black, those put out a ton of light pollution.

Spend some time off concrete and you might start to appreciate what it is I'm speaking of.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
We have a ton of eagles here. I was at dad’s place and he had a goat have twins. They were about 4 hours old. We were standing along the fence and a freaking eagle swooped down and grabbed a baby goat and flew off.

It got the 2nd one a few hours later
Dang, nature is just savage sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT