ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin-System-How do we end the frustration?

The way I look at it 2018 hurts even more... Iowa had them but made so many bad mistakes. I can handle losing to great teams and Wisconsin is truly great at college football, but man I hate outplaying a team and still losing... in fairness they probably say that about the 2015 game for all I know.

Their style on both defense and offense work against our style. Their 3-4 defense works well against a zone, their front 3 just sort of eat up bodies and that allows their LB'ers to flow to the ball against our zone scheme, lbers are faster to fill the lanes than Dlineman are. Hopefully this year with a faster back in Goodson and if Laporta takes the next step it will allow us to PA and get over top their Lb'ers.

Their offense is one where they don't make mistakes and they just maul you. What do we do on defense? We bend but don't break and wait for other teams to make that mistake. Well when you can average 5 yards a rush it takes them out of those 3rd and 9 situations where we might get a INT. Teams that give Wisky troubles are teams that can put 8-9 in the box and leave their CB's on a island. We just don't do that, we play mostly zone in pass coverage.

We just have to out execute them and keep them honest on defense. I'm not too worried about our defense cause it's not like we are giving them 35 points, we just need to turn them over and limit out turnovers. Something we haven't done the past few years, plus with their All American rb gone maybe we get them this year.

I tortured myself and watched some of the Iowa-Wis game from this last season....shouldn't have because it just gets me very frustrated. We made some mistakes that helped them win the game, but the bottom line is they just man handled us up front with their Oline and when you can't stop the run it's game over.

I had to stop watching after a little while...but what I did see is that the oline just walls you off, the talented running backs(pick any year) are patient behind the line and then just hit a seem as soon as it shows itself. Then Wisky is just body on body and they keep pounding away....all obvious and yet we can't stop them.

Defensively they just seem to overwhelm at the point of attack.....I hate losing to these guys. WHAT is the answer? How do we beat these guys?

Thoughts? I am not offended by someone asserting other or more issues, I just would like to read something that appears to present a way that we can beat these guys.
Don't try to beat them at their own game - if we played with more of an offensive calling like vs USC we would probably have more success. We seem to play pretty close to the vest against them, need to gamble more.

Their style on both defense and offense work against our style. Their 3-4 defense works well against a zone, their front 3 just sort of eat up bodies and that allows their LB'ers to flow to the ball against our zone scheme, lbers are faster to fill the lanes than Dlineman are. Hopefully this year with a faster back in Goodson and if Laporta takes the next step it will allow us to PA and get over top their Lb'ers.

Their offense is one where they don't make mistakes and they just maul you. What do we do on defense? We bend but don't break and wait for other teams to make that mistake. Well when you can average 5 yards a rush it takes them out of those 3rd and 9 situations where we might get a INT. Teams that give Wisky troubles are teams that can put 8-9 in the box and leave their CB's on a island. We just don't do that, we play mostly zone in pass coverage.

We just have to out execute them and keep them honest on defense. I'm not too worried about our defense cause it's not like we are giving them 35 points, we just need to turn them over and limit out turnovers. Something we haven't done the past few years, plus with their All American rb gone maybe we get them this year.
I think you have said it best. Their 3-4 Defense does mess up our zone blocking scheme when it is humming. And, their running attach, post/double teams, traps, cross buck with their typical size, seams to win the day more often then not.

Their style plays well against ours late in November when you have to run the ball more than throw.

So it seems that with our oline we could both zone block and have plays where we use a standard blocking scheme.....and use the scheme that works best against whatever defense you’re calling it play against?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT