ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin

Jrjt0518

HR All-American
Dec 22, 2019
Looks like they are looking for a new assistant coach. McDonough looks to be moving on. Reported on the mat.com. Wow

Did McD or Gross coach one of your kids? or how did you come to your conclusion on who"s a better coach?

Did McD or Gross coach one of your kids? or how did you come to your conclusion on who"s a better coach?

You gotta go away, it’s getting old. It depends on who and what you want to be. Do you have riders? Maybe go with Gross. Do you want to be a great all around wrestler from all positions? I’m taking McD. I don’t believe that’s how it went down though. McD is harder than gross all day, but you can’t go wrong either way besides choosing to wrestle for Bono.

HC is a clown. He can't keep and doesn't want assistants to stay. Put all his assistants in a room and there would be one in his corner. Dude treats them all like garbage - except one. Felt bad for McD when he took the job. He should have done his homework.

HC is a clown. He can't keep and doesn't want assistants to stay. Put all his assistants in a room and there would be one in his corner. Dude treats them all like garbage - except one. Felt bad for McD when he took the job. He should have done his homework.
McD will learn from the experience one way or the other. He will be better because of who he is.

Reactions: tumorboy
I think Matt really likes Madison and that probably factored into to his decision to take the job. Nice place for a young family. That and it was still a short drive to CR.

Reactions: SASHmoney
First of all, I don't know if McD resigned, or if he was told by Bono he wasn't being retained. If he was dismissed, my thoughts are:
I would have guessed Gross would stay in Madison and train through the RTC, but, that RTC really doesn't have much money in comparison to others. Therefore, Gross was probably being courted by many RTCs with money. Bono knew, or Gross told him, he was leaving the program because he would be paid X by another RTC. Plus, Gross is Bono's golden child and the cause of his meal ticket. Without Gross, does Bono achieve the notoriety at SDSU which leads to him getting the WI job? The only way to keep Gross there was to go where there was money, the assistant coach salary. He wasn't going to dismiss Reader. Also, due to the injuries that ended McD's competing, I am not sure how much actual wrestling on the mat McD can do. Gross obviously is going to be coaching as well as going live with guys. The decision may make sense, even though it shows there is no loyalty with outsiders with Bono.. He's loyal to Gross and Reader, his guys going back to ISU, and SDSU... McDounough should feel a bit miffed, and pissed.

I think Matt really likes Madison and that probably factored into to his decision to take the job. Nice place for a young family. That and it was still a short drive to CR.
I totally disagree. It is called "Mad City" for a good reason. The people there are the most unfriendly I have ever run across. So many nuts running around. My wife is from nearby. Wisconsin people are good people other than a large percentage that reside in Madison.

Reactions: HIWILLE
At the risk of getting booed off this forum, there's a school in Central Iowa that could use a lightweight coach.;) And since they wanna be like Big Brother...........

i was really surprised how cocky some Wisconsin people are and rude...I was part of an east coast team (asst. coach) that competed at The Clash in late 2000's and it was our 1st real National competition and 1st time anyone from our state wrestled there...Everyone was so nice until we ran into the Wisconsin Rapids fans and parents the night before Tournament...We told them were not highly nationally ranked right now (had zero transfers just homegrown kids) but had a solid team...They basically laughed at us because they were pretty high and told us they are loaded and they are going to Win this...A couple of them said maybe you'll have a good Tournament and finish in the 5th or 6th pool...We were like oh boy maybe their right...Well after day 1 we Won our pool and beat Apple Valley in our final.. they ended up 3rd in their pool...After day 1 we ran into them again and it was nothing but excuses...We had a good laugh that night...We finished 2nd overall and they finished 9th...looked it up it was 2005...Our program finished 3rd the next year...We were very fortunate to have a great HC and He was the 2019 NCAA Tournament Coach of Year.

Last edited:
Wisconsin Rapids is not indicative of Wisconsin... Wisconsin Rapids however is notoroiuous for some questionable behavior and parents through about 2012. They have since cleaned up their act or been humbled. From 1974-2012 they won 21 state titles... The graduating class of 2012 was the class that got into all the trouble for hazing (some of it overtly sexual). After that, parents and kids alike weren't so cocky anymore and the program also hit the skids. They have recently reached a respectable level of performance but are no where near what they once were. Their youth and middle school programs have recovered after a big drop in participation after the scandal as well. Wisconsin fans (except those on campus at a Badger football game) are usually pretty easy going and respectful, even the Rapids fans today. However, I believe everything you posted if it was in 2012 or earlier.

Last edited:
I’d guess if he continues coaching he ends up at Oregon state or in Ames

ISU doesn’t have an open position and their OTC is cash strapped at best. They missed their 2019 fundraising goals and now covid has gutted the ag economy.

Bono seems like a terrible coach to wrestle for . Can't keep wrestlers, left SDSU absolutely bare, had Title IX allegations against him, etc

Reactions: OneRoughneck
ISU doesn’t have an open position and their OTC is cash strapped at best. They missed their 2019 fundraising goals and now covid has gutted the ag economy.
Looks like Palmer is no longer with the crtc and they have began fundraising efforts again.

Looks like Palmer is no longer with the crtc and they have began fundraising efforts again.
I think Matt is going to be very particular about the next job he takes. Probably wants the right fit. After the Bono experience.

I totally disagree. It is called "Mad City" for a good reason. The people there are the most unfriendly I have ever run across. So many nuts running around. My wife is from nearby. Wisconsin people are good people other than a large percentage that reside in Madison.
Used to love Mad City. Full of nuts? Yes, just like Iowa City, Ann Arbor, Boulder, Ithaca, Portland, Seattle, and Berkeley.
However it is a big, urban city now, not a hippie college town anymore, and with that come serious urban problems.
Some universities offer a tuition waver for their coaching assistants, and that's big draw for guys to get a grad degree on the cheap.

Last edited:
Used to love Mad City. Full of nuts? Yes, just like Iowa City, Ann Arbor, Boulder, Ithaca, Portland, Seattle, and Berkeley.
However it is a big, urban city now, not a hippie college town anymore, and with that come serious urban problems.
Some universities offer a tuition waver for their assistants, and that's big draw for guys to get a grad degree on the cheap.

I like Madison, and all of the other cities mentioned that I’ve visited. (Never been to Ithaca.)

But you forgot to mention the nut capitol of the entire lower 48...

Ok. Never mind. No idea.

Coached there for what, a year? And got fired. Going to doubt it was a great experience overall.
2 years to be fair. Didn't say it was a bad experience just called it the Bono experience. :).

San Francisco used to lead the pack until the freaks got priced out of the city.

I might be biased, but my current home of Eugene is the craziest place I’ve ever visited.
I will remember to stay away from Eugene.

In SF, they just erected tents. Just sniff the air, the poop on the sidewalks will guide you to the location where they live.

Reactions: el dub
Every time I've seen McD coach I've been impressed. He'll be a hell of a get for whichever program ends up nabbing him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT