ADVERTISEMENT

With Drew Tate, Beathard or Stanzi we would be undefeated and top 10

Stanley doesn't have the moxie of those QB's but KF and BF allowing the OL to decline the way it has this decade has been unacceptable. I've seen enough of BF. Thought the OL decline started under him and he has shown he has no business being the OC.

If it were any of those guys leading this team we are looking at a different season. Can't hide QB play and the modern college game requires some level of mobility.
We would likely be undefeated with Stanley if Yanda or Carl Davis could replace one of the guards on this OL.

Reactions: bman546
Stanzi and Tate maybe. Did Beathard ever play well against a decent team? His two biggest wins were Wisconsin in 2015 (9/21 for 77 yards) when they fumbled over themselves at the goalline and Michigan in 2016 (8/19 for 66 yards) when he threw a pick that should've ended the game, and for some reason Michigan chose to throw the ball and not run out the clock, punt and commit a phantom facesmask and then give up a game winning FG. He lost four bowl games (I count LSU since we were only down a score with the ball when Rudock got hurt), a B10 title game (where he only really made one memorable play), and got destroyed his only game vs PSU.

False. Our interior OL is brutal. Stanley isn’t playing we’ll but our OL is equally as responsible.

Reactions: HemiHawk
I hate to bash on a guy who has done so much for the Iowa program, but the past two games have made it clear Stanley is not good at pre-snap reads and his non-existent mobility is why he’s getting tee’d off on. I honestly think Beathard with a sports hernia was more elusive. Iowa has to ride him out and he’s gonna lead the team to 4 or 5 more wins, but this team is definitely a top 10 team if his feet didn’t each weigh 20 pounds.

I dont know how you guys always bash the QB, this is nothing new. We have some of the worst play calling in college football and have for years. Everyone blamed KO, then it was GD, now its BF. The common denominator is KF. Get a clue, not one of our QB's has ever developed to there full capability under KF. As for the Oline, it's been years since we have had a good line. Zone blocking is what is killing us . If you watch the game , the oline was struggling in the zone. Our line is just to slow for zone blocking. Again none of this is nothing new

Reactions: Thunderlips71
He had dang near 300 yds passing and completed just shy of 60%....against one of the best Ds in the county. Some of you guys are really not good w/ this football thing,

That’s why I’m not willing to blame this just on him. While the yards are respectable he also is missing receivers(think slant to the end zone that was behind his receiver), making poor decisions under duress which is leading to sacks and negative yardage and making ill advised throws that are resulting in turnovers.

I’d say OL play and lack of overall rhythm/offensive cohesiveness are equally as impactful to our poor offensive play.

Reactions: K OKeefe
What does Stanley have in common with those 3 QB's? They all regressed their senior year.
You think Stanley has regressed because the team has lost 2 straight, 1 score games vs teams almost certain to finish in the top 15, called Mich and Penn State? By the way, in each, statistically out preforming the qb from those two schools, while hit exponentially more than them, and not having close to the running production behind him.

you are delusional.

stanley will blow past Tate next week, and be a solid #2 in history of the program for TD passes.
Get a grip

That’s why I’m not willing to blame this just on him. While the yards are respectable he also is missing receivers(think slant to the end zone that was behind his receiver), making poor decisions under duress which is leading to sacks and negative yardage and making ill advised throws that are resulting in turnovers.

I’d say OL play and lack of overall rhythm/offensive cohesiveness are equally as impactful to our poor offensive play.
We need a bell cow running back. It has been the difference of being good, but not great ... basically since Gordon flipped to Wisconsin

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I hate to bash on a guy who has done so much for the Iowa program, but the past two games have made it clear Stanley is not good at pre-snap reads and his non-existent mobility is why he’s getting tee’d off on. I honestly think Beathard with a sports hernia was more elusive. Iowa has to ride him out and he’s gonna lead the team to 4 or 5 more wins, but this team is definitely a top 10 team if his feet didn’t each weigh 20 pounds.

supposedly he audibled into the teeth of 2 blitzes.. I remember one.

IN ALL FAIRNESS.. .he saved you 6/7 sacks last night by getting the ball off.. (see the Purdue game from last week ) He is not a dumb QB.

He throws a great deep ball... but he constantly has to UNDERTHROW b/c Iowa WR's NEVER get separation.... once again.. bad skill recruiting and you are missing a good TE as well.

IN ALL FAIRNESS.. .he saved you 6/7 sacks last night by getting the ball off.. (see the Purdue game from last week ) He is not a dumb QB.

He throws a great deep ball... but he constantly has to UNDERTHROW b/c Iowa WR's NEVER get separation.... once again.. bad skill recruiting and you are missing a good TE as well.
He also hesitates and double pumps on nearly every throw, long or short, making the OL look like they're doing a horrible job.

That’s fair but the Iowa wide receivers are actually pretty good. Do they beat their man every time? No. But if Stanley has the ability to elude the rush (even half of the time) and get out of the pocket, that gives Iowa’s receivers 2-3 more seconds to get open. That’s how you win in today’s college game. Look at Brock Purdy. He’s not taking 5 step drops and hitting open receivers every time. He uses his feet to bounce around the pocket and wait for someone to come open so he can use his arm. If the opposing defense gets penetration on Stanley it’s a sack or ball thrown away 9/10 times. Iowa doesn’t need Russell Wilson, but it’d be nice to have someone who can occasionally buy a little time with his legs.

I'll counter: With Yanda, Scherff, Welsh, Blythe, or Bulaga, Iowa would be undefeated and in the top 10. It's the O-line much more than the QB. Everyone wants to put in Petras, but why? Like he wouldn't get sacked 4 times per game and be constantly under pressure leading to fumbles and picks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT