ADVERTISEMENT

With Drew Tate, Beathard or Stanzi we would be undefeated and top 10

One won the B1G. One won an Orange Bowl, and the last one won the division including the only undefeated regular season in Iowa history. If Stanley can lead his team to any of these Id guarantee the narrative on him would change.

I don’t recall anyone saying Stanley is the worst QB ever. But way to over exaggerate. Those QBs did lose games, but they also won a lot of big games too.

I wasn't suggesting that those three weren't excellent QB's for the Hawks - they were. My point was Stanley is getting crushed here by many for the last 2 losses (and OP thinks these other QB's would have won them), but those other QB's lost important games against good opponents too. Heck, Stanley's 2010 team was one of the most talented in the KF era, and they lost 5 games. (I'm not saying that's Stanzi's fault - and I don't think the last 2 losses are Stanley's fault).

As far as Stanley's legacy, I've seen many references to him being "horrible", or that he's a "statue" that has a "deer in the headlights look". I've seen many calls for Petrus, a RS Freshman with practically no playing time. If he loses to Purdue, NW or Nebby those comments are going to get a lot worse.

Nate Stanley is a good quarterback but he is not very mobile,... mobility becomes a desirable trait when you are called upon to throw accurate passes while running for your life....

Tate and Stanzi were best when rolling out of the pocket, the guys were money on the run. Stanzi's senior year they beat ball security into him and made him less dangerous. Stanley has accuracy issue even in the pocket, best improvement for him is to recognize the pocket collapse and take the yards with his feet.

I wasn't suggesting that those three weren't excellent QB's for the Hawks - they were. My point was Stanley is getting crushed here by many for the last 2 losses (and OP thinks these other QB's would have won them), but those other QB's lost important games against good opponents too. Heck, Stanley's 2010 team was one of the most talented in the KF era, and they lost 5 games. (I'm not saying that's Stanzi's fault - and I don't think the last 2 losses are Stanley's fault).

As far as Stanley's legacy, I've seen many references to him being "horrible", or that he's a "statue" that has a "deer in the headlights look". I've seen many calls for Petrus, a RS Freshman with practically no playing time. If he loses to Purdue, NW or Nebby those comments are going to get a lot worse.

My point was those guys actually lead Hawkeye teams that won meaningful games.

My second point was that absolutely no one has called Stanley the worst QB ever, because he’s not.

Last edited:
My second point was that absolutely no one has called Stanley the worst QB ever, because he’s not.[/QUOTE]

Of the Ferentz era, that would be JC, who Stanzi replaced.

Iowa has never been good at QB development. Tate is still the best pure QB and he showed up on campus that way. CJ had off season QB coaching outside of Iowa.

My second point was that absolutely no one has called Stanley the worst QB ever, because he’s not.

Iowa has never been good at QB development. Tate is still the best pure QB and he showed up on campus that way. CJ had off season QB coaching outside of Iowa.
Wow.

Last edited:

Wow.[/QUOTE]

Of the Ferentz teams if you need clarification. I know people claim Banks as best, but look at the line he had in 2002. Almost every lineman for BB played in the NFL, Tate had nowhere the supporting cast and did outstanding things his Jr year, injuries and lower performing line really impacted what he could have done.

Its interesting both Beathard and Stanzi werent even starters heading into the season and ended up with some of the memorable seasons the year after.

What's interesting about these guys behind older guys on the depth chart one season and a year later with a spring and fall camp under their belts having big seasons when they were starters? Seems pretty normal. Banks had a similar junior year behind senior Kyle McCann. Freshman Drew Tate sat behind Nate Chandler.

Of the Ferentz teams if you need clarification. I know people claim Banks as best, but look at the line he had in 2002. Almost every lineman for BB played in the NFL, Tate had nowhere the supporting cast and did outstanding things his Jr year, injuries and lower performing line really impacted what he could have done.[/QUOTE]
My reply (just "Wow") got wrapped in to redghost1974's post because he effed up his formatting. You probably meant to reply to him.

I guess I’m delusional. Please tell me again how Stanley out performed both Patterson and Clifford? You realize there is more to being a QB than just passing yards right?

Clifford 50% passing 117yds - 1TD/0 INT
16 carries for 52 yds 3.3 avg - qb rat 104.7

Stanley 58.1% passing 286 yds - 1 TD/1 INT
6 carries for -5 yds -.8 avg - qb rat 117

———————-
Patterson 53.8% passing 147 yds 0TD/1 INT
7 carries 25 yds for 3.6 avg. qb rat 93.6

Stanley 54.8% passing 260 yds
0TD/3 INT
8 carries -65 yds for -8.1 avg. qb rat 92.5

The only thing that is delusional is believing Stanley out performed both of these QBs. The defense’s are fairly close but Iowa’s is the best of the three.

Are you saying both clearly outplayed him? I'd argue that at worst it's a draw. Both games were lost in the trenches. I'd argue 3 of the 4 picks thrown in the two games were forced by pressure, or at least a combination of pressure/poor decision.

Are you saying both clearly outplayed him? I'd argue that at worst it's a draw. Both games were lost in the trenches. I'd argue 3 of the 4 picks thrown in the two games were forced by pressure, or at least a combination of pressure/poor decision.
Not everything that has gone wrong is all on Stanley, but his interceptions have been poor decisions. Especially the second one against Michigan in 2q.

Reactions: iahawks10

If you read it correctly, you’d have seen that I was responding to someone who said Stanley outplayed both PSU’s and Michigan’s QBs. I provided the numbers asking that poster how exactly Stanley outperformed them. Maybe you could provide that information. I’m willing to listen.

As the last poster said all have been poor decisions made by Stanley. All three in the Michigan game were 100% on Stanley. None of the Michigan picks were forced one bit. That is completely false. The one in the PSU game he was getting hit when thrown which ultimately made him overthrow it. Regardless, it still comes back on Stanley.

Edit: I have never blamed just NS for any loss. The losses are on pretty much the entire offense from the top down. The only argument you could make would be the WR core.

Last edited:
If you read it correctly, you’d have seen that I was responding to someone who said Stanley outplayed both PSU’s and Michigan’s QBs. I provided the numbers asking that poster how exactly Stanley outperformed them. Maybe you could provide that information. I’m willing to listen.

As the last poster said all have been poor decisions made by Stanley. All three in the Michigan game were 100% on Stanley. None of the Michigan picks were forced one bit. That is completely false. The one in the PSU game he was getting hit when thrown which ultimately made him overthrow it. Regardless, it still comes back on Stanley.

Edit: I have never blamed just NS for any loss. The losses are on pretty much the entire offense from the top down. The only argument you could make would be the WR core.
Without going back again and rewatching, Stanley's 1st int was a jump ball to Tracy where he didn't see the free safety come over. The 2nd was a one-on-one to Tracy that I believe the announcer or color guy said that Tracy kind of quit on. The 3rd was on a 4th and 5 where everyone was covered and he tried to force to Ragaini (I believe) hoping that he could squeeze it in or a PI, but it was a do or die situation and the Hawks actually gained 6-8 yards with the intercept. The first two can be put on Stanley and or Tracy but the 3rd no way.

Without going back again and rewatching, Stanley's 1st int was a jump ball to Tracy where he didn't see the free safety come over. The 2nd was a one-on-one to Tracy that I believe the announcer or color guy said that Tracy kind of quit on. The 3rd was on a 4th and 5 where everyone was covered and he tried to force to Ragaini (I believe) hoping that he could squeeze it in or a PI, but it was a do or die situation and the Hawks actually gained 6-8 yards with the intercept. The first two can be put on Stanley and or Tracy but the 3rd no way.

Keep telling yourself this and you’ll believe it.

The one “Tracy quit on”, he was beat off the LOS. The defender had inside position and was over the top. At no point was Tracy open in that route. That ball should not have been thrown. The ball was slightly over thrown in regards to Tracy (tough to believe I know) but right where Michigan has position.

The first one was just thrown to a Michigan player, who Stanley did not see.

The third one was thrown behind Ragaini and tipped by a Michigan defender to another Michigan defender.

Like I said, all three were on Stanley without question. But hey, they gained 6-8 yards of field position, so there’s that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT