ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA upgrades foul on Caitlin Clark to Flagrant 1 . . . the day after the game

Beattheohiostate

HR All-State
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
You read that right. Here's what the Chicago Sun-Times story says today:

"Chennedy Carter’s foul on Clark came as both players stood waiting for the ball to be inbounded, and officials did not review it in the moment. Had officials reviewed Carter’s foul in the moment and upgraded it to a Flagrant 1, Clark would have shot two free throws instead of one."

The upgrade still does matter though, because players who accrue enough flagrant 1 fouls can be suspended for a game or two, so that's something. But to not make the call at the moment and to not review one of the most thuggish intentional fouls you'll ever see is still another egregious indictment of the WNBA and the incompetence of the league and, especially, its so-called "officials." And because it was such a physical takedown and because Carter can be seen calling CC "a bitch," it also should have been a technical foul. That aspect wasn't addressed by the WNBA. I guess their officials are deaf as well as blind, and no one there can read lips.

And the fact remains that if you did to a person on the street what Carter did to Clark on the basketball court, you'd be facing an assault charge. And I'm gonna go ahead and say this too, because it's true: What do you think the reaction would have been if a white player had said that and done that to a black player? Exactly . . . there would have been a riot on the floor.

Again, gotta respect the integrity and saavy of CC who keeps taking the cheapest shots the WNBA can muster, aided and abetted by a biased and incompetent set of officials. I'm sure I wouldn't have such grace and composure.

Last edited:

"Chennedy Carter’s foul on Clark came as both players stood waiting for the ball to be inbounded, and officials did not review it in the moment. Had officials reviewed Carter’s foul in the moment and upgraded it to a Flagrant 1, Clark would have shot two free throws instead of one."

The upgrade still does matter though, because players who accrue enough flagrant 1 fouls can be suspended for a game or two, so that's something. But to not make the call at the moment and to not review one of the most thuggish intentional fouls you'll ever see is still another egregious indictment of the WNBA and the incompetence of the league and, especially, its so-called "officials." And because it was such a physical takedown and because Carter can be seen calling CC "a bitch," it also should have been a technical foul. That aspect wasn't addressed by the WNBA. I guess their officials are deaf as well as blind, and no one there can read lips.

And the fact remains that if you did to a person on the street what Carter did to Clark on the basketball court, you'd be facing an assault charge. And I'm gonna go ahead and say this too, because it's true: What do you think the reaction would have been if a white player had said that and done that to a black player? Exactly . . . there would have been a riot on the floor.

Again, gotta respect the integrity and saavy of CC who keeps taking the cheapest shots the WNBA can muster, aided and abetted by a biased and incompetent set of officials. I'm sure I wouldn't have such grace and composure.
Agree with most of the post, but the bolded part is unnecessary hyperbole.

She's accustomed to being the one player the other teams want to hate. The rest of the league is going to have to figure out what's best for the league and I think that's going to happen sooner rather than later now that it's become national news.

F it. Let’s see CC throw a punch. Ain’t no one else got her back!
Probably the MOST disappointing thing so far, (and was actually brought up in the first half of tonights game.)NO ONE on her team is coming to Clarks defense on these fouls. NO ONE even hustled over to help her up which is SOP in College and the Pro's. There is a real lack of culture on this team, (a coaching issue), and players out there playing for them selves. (Yes I'm looking at you especially Mitchell). She has to be the worst team player I've ever seen....

Probably the MOST disappointing thing so far, (and was actually brought up in the first half of tonights game.)NO ONE on her team is coming to Clarks defense on these fouls. NO ONE even hustled over to help her up which is SOP in College and the Pro's. There is a real lack of culture on this team, (a coaching issue), and players out there playing for them selves. (Yes I'm looking at you especially Mitchell). She has to be the worst team player I've ever seen....
People talk “chemistry” on teams all the time. What they are really talking about is trust. And right now I’m afraid there’s very little of it on this Fever team.

Was telling Mrs. spider (no pic) that while it’s obvious that a big part of CC’s woes shooting the three have been physical (injury, PT, shear exhaustion), I think just as significant has been the lack of having another teammate she can trust to shoot the three with her.

At Iowa, everyone on that team trusted everyone else. CC could be herself and shoot from the logo with confidence because she knew that even if she had a rare off night shooting, she could trust Kate or Gabby or Molly or McKenna or Sydney to help fill the void. And each of them in turn trusted that she was going to do the right thing much more often than not. On this Fever team, there is literally nobody else CC can trust to consistently knock down an open three. So I think she’s feeling that every one she takes must go in. She doesn’t have the supporting cast she did in college. Add to that the fact she doesn’t trust her coach to continue to let her play her game unless she delivers. It’s affecting her shot. As well as her teammates’ trust in her. I saw a lot of “I’m gonna get mine” tonight. The opposite of trust.

Add in what happened/didn’t happen yesterday and the ensuing sh!tstorm and I’m sure that CC’s trust in her teammates was further eroded. Her demeanor just seemed off tonight. It’s getting very difficult to watch.

Maybe having the week off will make a big difference. Maybe getting Fagbenle will be a big key. I’m worried though that this is a mess that’s going to be awfully hard to make much better.

Never bite the hand that feeds you...WNBA gnawing it off!!
They wanted more eyes on them and they're showing why no one was watching before this year. They have a few more weeks before they self-destruct their golden opportunity. In their case, extra exposure has shown it to be an inferior product. They have advance ticket sales for many games, but I doubt that will carry over after this season. There are just better forms of entertainment to blow your money on.

If the league is allowing the officials to ignore the CC mugging,then they are in on it. Why? What do they possibly gain by not doing their most to protect their cash cow? Unless they don't want her to be and are happy being the minor leagues.

Reactions: Torg
I mean to be fair to her teammates, Boston was the only one within 50 feet of her when she got hit and she helped her up. The other three were running down court with their backs turned and probably didn’t realize what happened.

F it. Let’s see CC throw a punch. Ain’t no one else got her back!
That's not quite true. I seen Boston walk over and help her up. Didn't dare confront that other girl and cause racial problems from her teammates.....

Last edited:
Reactions: goodbyebobby
I mean to be fair to her teammates, Boston was the only one within 50 feet of her when she got hit and she helped her up. The other three were running down court with their backs turned and probably didn’t realize what happened.
Not like its the first time. Has ANYONE but her coach said anything publicly about this crap, like we got you Cc. You think thats how it would go if she played for the Aces or Liberty? I think not.....

The upgrade still does matter though, because players who accrue enough flagrant 1 fouls can be suspended for a game or two, so that's something. But to not make the call at the moment and to
I totally agree with you and the reffing is just brutally bad. The wnba refs make the ncaa women's refs look like the best which I cant believe. Wnba is roller derby in sneakers with elbows, pushes, trips, and hits all over the place. I was at my son's last nite and they had the fever game on and it was brutal besides even the score

Reactions: amahawk
I totally agree with you and the reffing is just brutally bad. The wnba refs make the ncaa women's refs look like the best which I cant believe. Wnba is roller derby in sneakers with elbows, pushes, trips, and hits all over the place. I was at my son's last nite and they had the fever game on and it was brutal besides even the score
The problem is if CC plays like these thugs and returns the punishment,the scream will be she's a privledged white racist.

The gal who assaulted CC was terminated from the Atlanta team. Get this for threatening her teammates. Then add in she was booted off her team in turkey. S(He) is a walking time bomb. This league has a big image problem now as if they didn t have before.

The problem is if CC plays like these thugs and returns the punishment,the scream will be she's a privledged white racist.
She just needs to remind them there is one reason they're flying charters now.

Unfortunately, I really don't think they're intelligent enough to connect those dots and think they're in a prison yard versus the free market.

I have never been impressed with Mitchell. Good player, yes, but went to Ohio State after they hired her dad as an assistant. Always seemed to play with an entitled attitude.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Carter + Reese + Weatherspoon =
7ihj99.jpg

Agree with most of the post, but the bolded part is unnecessary hyperbole.
Necessary, and completely true. It's a racial jealousy thing going on with Caitlin. Some of the black players can't handle that a white girl is by FAR the most popular women's basketball player in the world. They think the game belongs to them, and they don't understand that they only reason people give a crap about watching the league on TV this season is because Caitlin's in it.

We need more like this man to step up and let it be known. I applaud this guy.
Yes and No. It's on the officials to call the game right. That said, if her teammates stepped in it would just escalate things. Maybe that's what it would take to get the officials' and league attention but it could get ugly. There's definitely a racial component to this, like it or not. That may have something to do with why the league is avoiding it.

Yup, th
The thing that really caught my eye on the Carter foul on C.C was the real anger/hatred displayed by Carter, There was no message sending just pure rage.
Yup, that was a deranged/psychotic look…in her presser she mentioned that CC had hit her in the head the play before…was hoping someone would have called her out. Chicago sky trying to emulate the bad boy Detroit Pistons of old…which is sad/pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT