ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder if Kirk can talk to recruits about OC?

tony0051

HR MVP
Mar 29, 2006
Certainly would think it would be in his interest to talk to key offensive skill guys they are targeting about general philosophy. Lester made it a point to have a system guys want to play in. Be curious if Iowa can get couple 4* WR in 25. Got a 4* TE already.

Reactions: AlvySinger
I'm sure he does. They want players that "fit". It would make no sense to try to convince someone into joining the team by being less than transparent and have them be unhappy and leave.

KF's "philosophy" is a double edged sword. "Not sexy", win with defense

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I'm sure he does. They want players that "fit". It would make no sense to try to convince someone into joining the team by being less than transparent and have them be unhappy and leave.

KF's "philosophy" is a double edged sword. "Not sexy", win with defense
Winning goes a long way with recruits.

The problem has obviously been the bad notoriety with the Iowa offense. Turn that around to being respectable and more P5 recruits will take a serious look at a stable program that’s in one of the two premier conferences in the country.

TEU already has a solid reputation. If Kirk is serious about being balanced, then get the wide receivers involved. If a guy like Kaleb Brown has a good year, it’s much easier to sell your program, as you can legitimately pitch, “We see you filling Kaleb’s role.” No high school WR wants to hear “getting WRs involved might make some sense moving forward.” No one with any talent is looking at a school because they’re trying to learn how to block in college.

Reactions: uihawk82

The problem has obviously been the bad notoriety with the Iowa offense. Turn that around to being respectable and more P5 recruits will take a serious look at a stable program that’s in one of the two premier conferences in the country.

TEU already has a solid reputation. If Kirk is serious about being balanced, then get the wide receivers involved. If a guy like Kaleb Brown has a good year, it’s much easier to sell your program, as you can legitimately pitch, “We see you filling Kaleb’s role.” No high school WR wants to hear “getting WRs involved might make some sense moving forward.” No one with any talent is looking at a school because they’re trying to learn how to block in college.
Agreed, except that I don't think the Hawks have a "reluctance" to get the WR's involved - they simply haven't had the ability. I'm hoping Lester can bring some much needed sophistication to the passing game.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Agreed, except that I don't think the Hawks have a "reluctance" to get the WR's involved - they simply haven't had the ability. I'm hoping Lester can bring some much needed sophistication to the passing game.
Yeah, I agree it’s ability that’s the issue. My point was jokingly referencing Kirk’s comment about it making some sense to get the WRs involved. I didn’t see the context that Kirk said it in, and I’m guessing it was said facetiously, even if he said it in a serious tone to whatever reporter had posed the question, but the greater point is perception matters a lot when it comes to recruiting.

And the perception of the Iowa offense ain’t too good (in case you hadn’t noticed 😉).

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Agreed. If I was a recruit on the offensive side of the ball, and had other good offers, I don't think I'd consider Iowa as things are, UNLESS I was a tight end. Based on their track record of putting TE's in the NFL. From what I've seen in recent years, if I was a QB or WR, no way in hell.

Defense? Yep, where do I sign?

Agreed. If I was a recruit on the offensive side of the ball, and had other good offers, I don't think I'd consider Iowa as things are, UNLESS I was a tight end. Based on their track record of putting TE's in the NFL. From what I've seen in recent years, if I was a QB or WR, no way in hell.

Defense? Yep, where do I sign?
If the current transfer portal has taught us anything, these players are going to schools where PT is available.

Certainly would think it would be in his interest to talk to key offensive skill guys they are targeting about general philosophy. Lester made it a point to have a system guys want to play in. Be curious if Iowa can get couple 4* WR in 25. Got a 4* TE already.
I don’t know….For me, I think the excitement may be a wait and see approach. He has had success with wr’s he might be able to sell that. Can’t say our qb room screams excitement to a wr, though.

If the current transfer portal has taught us anything, these players are going to schools where PT is available.
I think this is true.

I think, as fans, we believe that players have the following priorities -

1. Playing time and ability to put up numbers for NFL scouts
2. Winning championships

But a young man knowing he's going to be spending a few years somewhere, it's more complex.

For example - in no particular order, they also consider some of these -
Culture
Ability to fit in a make friends
Distance from home
Facilities
Campus
Weather
Comfort with the coaches
Conference
Academics and field of study (yes, it's important to some)

Doubt they have any schollies this spring. Currently 7 over 85. If they do find one, it should be for a QB.

They will have scholarships, this stuff works itself out. They will have transfers out and there are a few guys who will likely be medically retired. It'd be very surprising if they don't try to add a QB and at least one WR.

Reactions: INXS83
They will have scholarships, this stuff works itself out. They will have transfers out and there are a few guys who will likely be medically retired. It'd be very surprising if they don't try to add a QB and at least one WR.
While Iowa FB doesn't 'run guys off', there will have to be some heart-to-heart conversations with anybody on scholarship who's been in the program 2+ years and is still not close to being in the 2-deeps after spring ball.

It's great the team culture is such that guys are reluctant to leave, but sometimes the fledglings need to be pushed from the nest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT