ADVERTISEMENT

World Population Implosion

LuteHawk

HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
50 years ago the world was in a panic about the prospect
of a population explosion. However, today the world faces
the opposite problem of population implosion.

The population is dropping rapidly in Europe, Asia, South
America and North America. Only Africa is still growing.
In the next 50 years the global birth rate will fall below the
replacement level.

The replacement rate in advanced nations is 2.1 children
per woman. In Japan it is 1.42, In Thailand it is 1.52,
in Taiwan it is 1.11 and in the United States it was 1.7
in 2018.

This information was gathered from the First Things
journal of November 2019.

Why is this a problem? This seems like a good thing.

tenor.gif

Reactions: tumorboy
FWIW from a Google factoid.

"The UN as of 2017 predicts a decline of global population growth rate from +1.0% in 2020 to +0.5% in 2050 and to +0.1% in 2100. ... Randers' "most likely scenario" predicts a peak in the world population in the early 2040s at about 8.1 billion people, followed by decline."

So by the time it may decline, most of us will be dead anyway.

Reactions: naturalmwa

"The UN as of 2017 predicts a decline of global population growth rate from +1.0% in 2020 to +0.5% in 2050 and to +0.1% in 2100. ... Randers' "most likely scenario" predicts a peak in the world population in the early 2040s at about 8.1 billion people, followed by decline."

Considering climate change is going to end the world in 12 years, we'll all be dead. There will be massive population decline. Likely 100%. - AOC, probably

China had a "one child policy" which was a response
to the old population explosion fears. They employed
mandatory sterilization and forced abortion.

China's one child policy was from 1979 to 2015. Boys
were the child of choice and abortion claimed the lives
of girls.

Last edited:
George Will just wrote an interesting column on the geopolitical consequences of varying birth rates.

Thanks. That was an interesting read.

One surprising statement made:

So, by 2040, when the U.S. population is around 380 million, its population will be younger than that of almost any other rich democracy, and the working-age population will still be expanding. In 2015, America had twice as many working-age people with undergraduate or graduate degrees as China had -- almost one-sixth of the world's total.

After the 2008 financial crisis, however, the fertility rate fell and, Eberstadt says, "shows no sign of recovering." Furthermore, the employment rate for men ages 25-54 is comparable to its level in 1939 -- during the Depression.

I was under the assumption that with a near zero unemployment rate, the employment rate would be correspondingly high. I didn't realize that isn't necessarily the case.

Thanks. That was an interesting read.

One surprising statement made:

So, by 2040, when the U.S. population is around 380 million, its population will be younger than that of almost any other rich democracy, and the working-age population will still be expanding. In 2015, America had twice as many working-age people with undergraduate or graduate degrees as China had -- almost one-sixth of the world's total.

After the 2008 financial crisis, however, the fertility rate fell and, Eberstadt says, "shows no sign of recovering." Furthermore, the employment rate for men ages 25-54 is comparable to its level in 1939 -- during the Depression.

I was under the assumption that with a near zero unemployment rate, the employment rate would be correspondingly high. I didn't realize that isn't necessarily the case.
A guy I know that worked for NASA his entire career in Spain said the problem they have is that college is free. When the economy went bad people went back to school or just wouldn't work because college grads think they're above a lot of occupations.

Reactions: MplsHawk
In the next 50 years experts are predicting that India
will outgrow China. The roughly 35 years of the one
child policy in China has effected the female population
dramatically.

I hope I'm still alive in the early 2040s.

Reactions: seminoleed
True but also a recipe for disaster.
Yep, the EU is poised for a long slow deflationary spiral beginning very soon. That is one of the reasons why many in England want out. They feel an economic future tied to the USA and the Commonwealth gives them more opportunity.

In the next 50 years experts are predicting that India
will outgrow China. The roughly 35 years of the one
child policy in China has effected the female population
dramatically.

So that is why the OPs mom has been learning Mandarin.

Families in India who are Hindu have always favored
boys over girls when it comes to giving birth. So
abortion and other means to make the male population
increase were used.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT