ADVERTISEMENT

Would Cassioppi be ready to go this year?

russelscout

HR All-State
Dec 31, 2015
I have not been able to follow fargo near as close this year as I have in years past, nor really any high school wrestling like I would want to. Considering where we are with Stolls future eligibility, do you guys think Anthony Cassioppi will be ready to go next year from what you have seen? I always saw heavyweight as one of the tougher weights to gauge because of the sharp increase in talent from HS to College, but what are your thoughts?

I apologize if this has been brought up several times as I have been away from the boards recently.

I have not been able to follow fargo near as close this year as I have in years past, nor really any high school wrestling like I would want to. Considering where we are with Stolls future eligibility, do you guys think Anthony Cassioppi will be ready to go next year from what you have seen? I always saw heavyweight as one of the tougher weights to gauge because of the sharp increase in talent from HS to College, but what are your thoughts?

I apologize if this has been brought up several times as I have been away from the boards recently.

I think hwt is a grown mans weight class (no disrespect to light weights but the transition from wrestling Hs and college 133 lbs vs hwt is huge). You have to be once in a generation talent level to step in and “be ready”.

Cass will probably be a great wrestler, just not yet. These aren’t pudgy Hs lineman looking for a winter sport to keep coach off their Case. These are grown men with goals. In a TRue freshman campaign a guy like cass is probably a qualifier at best.

I think hwt is a grown mans weight class (no disrespect to light weights but the transition from wrestling Hs and college 133 lbs vs hwt is huge). You have to be once in a generation talent level to step in and “be ready”.

Cass will probably be a great wrestler, just not yet. These aren’t pudgy Hs lineman looking for a winter sport to keep coach off their Case. These are grown men with goals. In a TRue freshman campaign a guy like cass is probably a qualifier at best.
I'd also add that it/he would probably be similar to Warner last season...some great wins, mixed with some head-scratchers.

I'd also add that it/he would probably be similar to Warner last season...some great wins, mixed with some head-scratchers.

Agreed, there are VERY FEW Adam Coons, let alone Steve Moccos at 285. Hell, even Steveson would probably stumble a time or 2 if he goes as a TF and he looks even more DI ready than Mocco did!

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I do think big Cass could go as a starter this season if needed and could make some noise come march. I would also add no matter what the weight class some athletes are just more mature maybe need a little more hair on the chin as was the case with Warner and will be with Big Cass. I hope Sam is good to go and still is Castello so mute point.

Reactions: el dub
Sam will be fine physically. If he misses any time it will be minimal and one of the others fills in while Cass redshirts. My take is the Cass wouldn't AA this year but would qualify and win some matches. But he will not be needed.
Good to hear about Sam and I forgot about Holloway

I think Cass AAs this year if he were to wrestle. Gable is a heavy favorite for the title imo.

I have to admit, I almost always fight against overwhelming TF success. But, that is because I have witnessed guys like Kolat and Mocco(both of whom I expected to just run through their 1st years) take some lumps.

Still, these kids are coming in more college ready by a LARGE margin compared to back then.

With all of that said, 285 is a MAN weight. It may be thin overall, but once you get to NCAA's, the top 33 is full of big guys with man strength and a ton of experience in DI level mat wrestling. Guys like Dhesi, Stoll, Nevills and Hall will all have 5 years of DI mat experience along with a significant physical maturity gap.

If it were me, I would shirt them both no matter what. Stoll will eventually take the mat, so there is no benefit to wrestling Cass and what does Minnesota truly gain putting Gable out there this year? They had a really strong recruiting class with Gable, B. Lee, Ryan Thomas and little McKee. They are pretty young with the exception of Lizak, Thorn and Bleise.

I guess, just like with Spencer, if it is best for Gable, they put him out there. But, I think it benefits the team more if he shirts.

I have to admit, I almost always fight against overwhelming TF success. But, that is because I have witnessed guys like Kolat and Mocco(both of whom I expected to just run through their 1st years) take some lumps.

Still, these kids are coming in more college ready by a LARGE margin compared to back then.

With all of that said, 285 is a MAN weight. It may be thin overall, but once you get to NCAA's, the top 33 is full of big guys with man strength and a ton of experience in DI level mat wrestling. Guys like Dhesi, Stoll, Nevills and Hall will all have 5 years of DI mat experience along with a significant physical maturity gap.

If it were me, I would shirt them both no matter what. Stoll will eventually take the mat, so there is no benefit to wrestling Cass and what does Minnesota truly gain putting Gable out there this year? They had a really strong recruiting class with Gable, B. Lee, Ryan Thomas and little McKee. They are pretty young with the exception of Lizak, Thorn and Bleise.

I guess, just like with Spencer, if it is best for Gable, they put him out there. But, I think it benefits the team more if he shirts.

I think Minny is in a bit of a "win now" mode. Plus I think Steveson is right up there with Spencer in terms of P4P talent. That said I think wrestling him could move Stoll down the podium so I say shirt him.

Lots coming back at HWT. Cass is good but AA is somewhat of a reach. Not impossible. If something happens to Sam I would be on board with pulling his RS. Also, you mentioned Tanner Hall. He would be what, 10 years older than Cass? Haha

I agree with all except the last sentence. Definitely a qualifier with an outside shot to AA as a true freshman. After redshirt, barring injury, 4x AA.

Reactions: Gobblin

I am always reminded of hearing how highly John Oostendorpf spoke of Steve Mocco who he would wrestle with when he came in to iowa City late in the summer of his Freshman year. The Big O was was a stud in his own right and it shocked me at the time to hear how an 18 year old kid could compete with a man that big and agile. Mocco went on to prove he was a force right away and they Oostendorpf was correct in his assessment.

I am always reminded of hearing how highly John Oostendorpf spoke of Steve Mocco who he would wrestle with when he came in to iowa City late in the summer of his Freshman year. The Big O was was a stud in his own right and it shocked me at the time to hear how an 18 year old kid could compete with a man that big and agile. Mocco went on to prove he was a force right away and they Oostendorpf was correct in his assessment.
Ask Telford what he thinks about Tony. You’ll get a LOT of VERY high praise.

Ask Telford what he thinks about Tony. You’ll get a LOT of VERY high praise.
This is the Inside stuff guys like me love to hear. Some of us are very big Hawkeye fans but live far away, we do not get the skinny on things and thats why I spend the time on this forum. Always appreciate views from the guys that have more connection with the program.

“Is it would, or is it wouldn’t? Long time Iowa wrestling fan here. So here is the story; Cass will be on the mat for Iowa this year! Tommy wouldn’t redshirt him after he has been in the room.

Sam will be on ice this year. If not due to his recent injury, then he will have major problems with the NCAA (guns), then The University of Iowa wants some answers (student conduct), then the Iowa City Police Department will have a few questions, and then maybe civil court issues.

I have watched Cassioppi wrestle the last two years, said it before and will say it again, Cassioppi would beat Stoll today. Big Sam has no mobility, a statue. A typical heavyweight, push, pummel, no leg offence. Until you have actually seen Cass wrestle, you wouldn’t appreciate the pure talent this kid has. Great mobility.

Said This Before, keep your eye on Keegan O’Toole (Arrowhead, WI) 138 lbs champion at Fargo, N.D. Kid will be a sophomore this fall, but he is for real. Put him on your short list for 2020. Video interview below.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
“Is it would, or is it wouldn’t? Long time Iowa wrestling fan here. So here is the story; Cass will be on the mat for Iowa this year! Tommy wouldn’t redshirt him after he has been in the room.

Sam will be on ice this year. If not due to his recent injury, then he will have major problems with the NCAA (guns), then The University of Iowa wants some answers (student conduct), then the Iowa City Police Department will have a few questions, and then maybe civil court issues.

I have watched Cassioppi wrestle the last two years, said it before and will say it again, Cassioppi would beat Stoll today. Big Sam has no mobility, a statue. A typical heavyweight, push, pummel, no leg offence. Until you have actually seen Cass wrestle, you wouldn’t appreciate the pure talent this kid has. Great mobility.

Said This Before, keep your eye on Keegan O’Toole (Arrowhead, WI) 138 lbs champion at Fargo, N.D. Kid will be a sophomore this fall, but he is for real. Put him on your short list for 2020. Video interview below.

Well it sounds like he is committed to Mizzou already. So the list is about as short as it can be. :)

Reactions: Wink8 and el dub

Billshite. Sammy was shot. There might be internal repercussions for the shooter but the victim won’t be in trouble with the university or NCAA.

and i believe burk is NW fan

To be honest, I’d just as soon see the shooter get booted from the team.​

I'm not saying I'm some sort of big time insider but almost nothing of what I understand of the Stoll situation aligns with your post. Not saying things won't shake out more in the direction you state but I'm confident when I say people who usually know things and are closer to the situation than both of us would be surprised if they did.

Sam will not be "on ice" this year.

The NCAA has nothing to do with "guns" not did Sam Stoll misuse a gun in this instance.

The ICPD has already stated they consider the matter closed. The university has not, however. A safe bet is that Stoll won't face the most consequence here.

Cass is a great prospect and may very well have a better career than Stoll (even ignoring Stoll's injury issues) but at this point Stoll's sheet power and experience will or would win out more often than not. Pinning some big guy from SD in a freestyle match isn't in the same galaxy as facing a tough, strong, battle hardened and talented wrestler in Stoll.

So you’re saying Sam is in triple Dutch (IC police, Iowa, NCAA ) because he got shot and committed two misdemeanors that any half assed lawyer will get tossed for community service? Like Dub said, if anything, whoever shot him (if on the team) is the one that has to worry.

Also, glad you like Cassioppi so much...so do I. His best win to date is against Parris who in reality, was probably the 5th or 6th best college Hwy prospect. I have it Gable, Cass, Kerk, Schultz, Parris, Nevills. The last two are interchangeable. Yes, Parris beat Schultz but Cohlton has the body type of a true HWY and will fill out even further in H.S. Still, going from beating 5th or 6th best H.S. HWY to beating a top 4 college HWY is quite the leap. The only drawback I can see with Cass is that he actually looks the part of a high school hwy...meaning, he can still gain muscle and lose some fat. Being in a college weight room year around is going to help him immensely. A guy like Parris looks like has lived in a weight room...I don't know how much bigger he can get.

Just listened to FRL. All of Flo picked Mason Parris to win at HWY (knowing he didn't have much freestyle experience). He gets rolled by Cass and all of a sudden its, he doesn't know how to wrestle yet and Cass is the more finished product. Comments like, it wasn't a purely freestyle thing (not to knock Cass) but...and went on to explain why it was and that Parris is still maybe the better prospect. Nomad answered Pyles and Willie to point out that Cass's feet were just as quick and that Cass is lot better on top in folk. They dinged Mason's freestyle but he steamed rolled everyone else (who are also known freestyle guys) to include a decent Reeves, McConkey, and top ten Emerson. He had some trouble with Emerson the second time but that was soon after he wrestled Cass. IMO, the most athletic move of the match was when Parris had Cass in a single leg standing almost straight up and Cass was able to limp leg out of it fairly easy.

The guy hits a lighting quick snatch double like it’s a snatch single and guys can’t even react. It’s insane.

Yeah, he will be ready to go. Hell freaking yeah, the guy is gonna be one of the best.

Reactions: IAChief32
Love Cass, but he sounded pretty clear in his post-Fargo interview that a Red Shirt was in the works and he planned to focus on strength and conditioning. I think the young man has a great head on his shoulders and a great future, but I doubt we see him burn the shirt. That said, I didn't think Spencer would burn the shirt either and here we are.

Only makes sense to redshirt Cass and wrestle Stoll.

If Cass were to go, I think he's right there in AA contention. Hwt is a bit down this year.

I like Stoll's chances at a title if he's healthy as well.

I think if Gable wrestles this year, he will be the favorite to win it.

What I will definitely concede across all styles is Cass is a better Heavyweight wrestler than Parris. The more I looked at it, Parris is much more suited for 220. His offense doesn't get stymied by size and his gas tank wears out everyone(may still play a strong role in DI).

Sort of like Snyder vs. Coon(not to say Parris is ANYWHERE near Snyder at this point), a high leg attack rate, especially high crotches and dumps only gets you in trouble against a big, strong, athletic Heavyweight.

Parris does have a great work out partner and UofM has a pretty solid track record with 285's, but Parris will be playing catch up and I am interested to see how much they focus on his size and if/how that will effect his offensive skill set.

Hvys like Stoll and Cass wrestle less than two minutes a match their last two years of high school. College hvy matches seem destined for more than 7 minutes. If Cass is in a spot where he had to wrestle this year, I'd be curious how much power that snatch double would have in OT.

Just listened to FRL. All of Flo picked Mason Parris to win at HWY (knowing he didn't have much freestyle experience). He gets rolled by Cass and all of a sudden its, he doesn't know how to wrestle yet and Cass is the more finished product. Comments like, it wasn't a purely freestyle thing (not to knock Cass) but...and went on to explain why it was and that Parris is still maybe the better prospect. Nomad answered Pyles and Willie to point out that Cass's feet were just as quick and that Cass is lot better on top in folk. They dinged Mason's freestyle but he steamed rolled everyone else (who are also known freestyle guys) to include a decent Reeves, McConkey, and top ten Emerson. He had some trouble with Emerson the second time but that was soon after he wrestled Cass. IMO, the most athletic move of the match was when Parris had Cass in a single leg standing almost straight up and Cass was able to limp leg out of it fairly easy.
Parris had a slick duck/slide-by on Cass, and Cass had a slick double to a lift and plant. Both of these guys are quite talented and fun to watch. The fact that Cass teched him says more about the strengths of Cass than the weaknesses of Parris.

Of course Flo chose Parris. Of course.

I agree. I think
Only makes sense to redshirt Cass and wrestle Stoll.

If Cass were to go, I think he's right there in AA contention. Hwt is a bit down this year.

I like Stoll's chances at a title if he's healthy as well.

I think if Gable wrestles this year, he will be the favorite to win it.
Cass will be a four time AA, after redshirting. He may AA this year, but the hwts are a bit bigger,plus Gable will wrestle. Who needs to wrestle Gable Stevenson four times a year for next four years? That kid is on Spencer Lee and Mark Hall’s Superman level. Cass ain’t there.

I agree. I think

Cass will be a four time AA, after redshirting. He may AA this year, but the hwts are a bit bigger,plus Gable will wrestle. Who needs to wrestle Gable Stevenson four times a year for next four years? That kid is on Spencer Lee and Mark Hall’s Superman level. Cass ain’t there.

If Mark Hall is Superman what is z. Valencia?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT