ADVERTISEMENT

Would you have rather had OUR season or VIRGINIA’s season?

The Hawkeyes season was a stain, but it's a stain we can get over. Virginia on the other hand just got stained for the rest of their program future. Not just a loss either, blown the hell out. That video will be played every NCAA tournament for the remainder of time. So as painful as the Hawkeyes season was, I'd rather not be reminded of historical failure on an annual basis. Having to see the video of the Hawks losing as a 3 seed is painful enough, but at least that's more common.

Everybody will remember this years Virginia squad. In twenty years , people will bring up this squad. A number one overall seed, ACC regular season, and tournament champions. Two losses all year, they play so unselfish and great defensively. The team that was assured of a date with Villanova, the safest pick not to go out the first weekend. The heavyweight Virginia Cavaliers, they lost to who?

UMBC had never won a single NCAA game before. This game will go down in history. We might not remember who won the title this year, but we will remember the time the number one overall seed ACC champions of '17-18 Virginia Cavaliers were beaten by twenty to the number sixteen seed University of Maryland Baltimore County Retrievers, who became the one in 135-1.

Live in infamy, or die anonymously?

As a diehard Seattle Supersonics fan, Ol' Doodle was a sad witness to the first ever 1 seed to lose to an 8 seed in the NBA playoffs when Dikembe Mutumbo's Denver Nuggets beat them in the mid 90s. The only reason that team isn't more memorialized for that dubious accomplishment is because the franchise no longer exists.

Virginia isn't going to move to a new city or change it's name, so it is now immortalized for all time as the first 1 to lose to a 16 in the dance. No matter how good the regular season was....and their's was remarkably good....there is NO way to rationalize this loss so that you feel better about it as a UVa fan. None. Zero. Period.

Iowa's season was abysmal. But it will be forgotten if the team progresses in the next year or two. Virginia's 2017-18 season will NEVER EVER EVER be forgotten and ultimately cannot logically be considered anything other than a complete and utter failure of historically epic proportions..

Man I had UVA going deep. Bracket busted. Agree that the loss is historically bad. Feel bad for the kids.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Two different kinds of pain (as expressed by Doodle). Both hurt, but Virginia players, coaches and fans just got a gut punch that's going to hurt for ever. I'm still sick about the '70 Hawks and Pembroke Burrows III. Still sick about the '86 Hawks loss to UNLV.

If Virgina was Duke, UNC, Kansas or Kentucky with the #1 seed it would be a little different in my eyes. but after what Iowa fans put up with this year being able to win as many games and conference tourney champs and seeded # 1 would have been a great ride even if the wheels feel off and a egg was laid in the first round! Lol

If Virgina was Duke, UNC, Kansas or Kentucky with the #1 seed it would be a little different in my eyes. but after what Iowa fans put up with this year being able to win as many games and conference tourney champs and seeded # 1 would have been a great ride even if the wheels feel off and a egg was laid in the first round! Lol

Everyone thinks this until you get there and have that happen. Keep in mind how heightened expectations would be at that point for us as fans heading into an opening matchup with mighty UMBC.

I still remember the deep pain of NW LA State or whoever the freak they were. Blowing an 18 point lead in both halves no less. That was a MASSIVE gut punch with a freaking 3 seed the likes we almost never see! Alford did some bad things during his tenure but we’ve never fully recovered from that loss and have never got back to that kind of seed again.

Last edited:
I would gladly take a conference regular season title . Even with a humiliating ncaa tourney loss
Not like that one. Three months of “chest thumping” about a conference title that no one will ever remember, would not be worth hearing about the tourney loss everytime you told someone you graduated from Iowa.

It would be like if your parents named you Michael Bolton.....you’re now humiliatingly tagged for life

Not like that one. Three months of “chest thumping” about a conference title that no one will ever remember, would not be worth hearing about the tourney loss everytime you told someone you graduated from Iowa.

It would be like if your parents named you Michael Bolton.....you’re now humiliatingly tagged for life

Disagree . While that was an epic loss, it is also beyond pathetic that we have not won a conference title in 40 years. I would gladly make that trade

Reactions: sandiegohawk
Our season, everyone will remember history of the first number 1 seed to lose to a 16.....and they lost by 20!!! That is more pathetic that anything I’ve ever seen in college basketball, our season wasn’t the most pathetic ever like Virginia.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Ridiculous question! Don't justify our horrible season! I'd take their players, their coach, and their last 4 seasons compared to ours. I would take 31-2 with a choke in the end anyday over not watching our horrible pathetic season. It's absurd to prefer a last place finish in a conference of 14 teams with our best player looking to get out of here.

Also whoever chooses Virginia’s is stupid, we would be made fun of by everyone for atleast the next 50 years. It isn’t even close IMO. Virginia will never live this down. They didn’t just lose they got killed by a 16!!!!

Ridiculous question! Don't justify our horrible season! I'd take their players, their coach, and their last 4 seasons compared to ours. I would take 31-2 with a choke in the end anyday over not watching our horrible pathetic season. It's absurd to prefer a last place finish in a conference of 14 teams with our best player looking to get out of here.

Your an idiot nobody will remember are bad season in a year or 2, nobody will ever forget this about Virginia’s.

The question wasn’t if you’d trade the program’ players coaches and last 4 seasons.....just our season for their season, including their humiliating gut wrenching loss, that every opposing fan will remind them of, for decades to come. No thanks.

Reactions: The_Joker13
I will forget this season really no worse for the wear. Unlike some am even looking forward to next year as I think this young team takes a big step forward.

I am still sick when I think about the collapse against NW St. This Virginia loss would be unbearable.

I take this Iowa season knowing 2 years from now it was just a bump in the road. Virginia fans will be sick over this for years to come and always reminded because every year come March this game will be talked about...no thanks.

How as a Virginia fan do you look forward to next season other the hopes to have this one truly over?

So Virginia fans are all wishing they would have rather finished last in their conference?

I would, but then again we didn’t finish last. If Iowa got a number one seed and we’re the first to lose to a 16 I would be humiliated and never read this board again. Because it would be flooded by trolls and we could NEVER talk shit about another team ever again.

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
The Hawkeyes season was a stain, but it's a stain we can get over. Virginia on the other hand just got stained for the rest of their program future. Not just a loss either, blown the hell out. That video will be played every NCAA tournament for the remainder of time. So as painful as the Hawkeyes season was, I'd rather not be reminded of historical failure on an annual basis. Having to see the video of the Hawks losing as a 3 seed is painful enough, but at least that's more common.

That says it all right there. FOREVER tarnished. They'll be the laughing stock for eons. Always noted as That Team.... Iowa on the other hand will recover. Fran has been getting some fairly highly rated recruits of late. If he pulls in a couple of athletic guards with some decent defense(OR Moss & Dailey do all that they are capable of, consistently), we will be a very good team...

Iowa's garbage season will be quickly and easily lost in the mass of bad seasons by bad teams this year. No one cares.

uva's clusterf#%* of epic proportions on the biggest stage in all of college basketball is now immortalized for all time. College b-ball fans will remember this for years.

Disagree . While that was an epic loss, it is also beyond pathetic that we have not won a conference title in 40 years. I would gladly make that trade

I'd take a conference title. Who gives a shite a 1st seed lost to a last seed. OSU moved on after the got their ass kicked by Iowa in football

The most memorable thing about iowa football recently is that we went 12-0. Not that we choked away the big 10 championship game vs MSU or the worst rose bowl performance ever vs Stanford. You have to take as much success as you can get when it rarely happens.

The most memorable thing about iowa football recently is that we went 12-0. Not that we choked away the big 10 championship game vs MSU or the worst rose bowl performance ever vs Stanford. You have to take as much success as you can get when it rarely happens.
The difference being Virginia actually played and beat teams with a pulse

Virgina because they set school records and ACC records. Yeah they got bounced early, but hell you knew it was bound to happen at one point. My buddies and I were joking that if Iowa ever got a #1 seed they would be the first one to lose to a 16seed. Well i guess that feat is done, so we don't have to worry about that.

Lol, speak for yourself. I was at that rose bowl and am still trying to get the taste of that embarrassment out of my mouth.

I'd take Virginia's season over ISU's any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's a no brainer. I seriously can't even believe that this is a question for some people.

Duke and Kansas get upset every few years in 2v15, 3v14, 4v13 matchups, yet their reputations coming into each season still stay as "one of the best teams in college basketball". People will remember that Virginia lost, but it's going to be that it was such a fluke game and a fun story, not that Virginia is terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT