ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark left off the Olympic team

What was I wrong about?

Taurasi attended Olympic tryouts.
Clark did not. There was not a "special tryout" schedule for her, that anyone "intentionally" set when the NCAA tournament was going on.

You're making up conspiracy shit where it doesn't exist.
No, the first post about rookies not being selected. In the past 5 Olympics, the #1 overall pick made the team more often than not.

No, the first post about rookies not being selected.
1 in the last 3 Olympics.

That is a simple FACT.

I asked you about past rookies who DID attend the Olympic camp. You have yet to clarify that - Taurasi apparently DID.

Don’t expect Joe to admit defeat
What do I need to "admit" here?

Taurasi was a rookie; she was able to attend the tryouts.
Caitlin did not attend the tryouts; which of the other rookies did not?

Your buddy doesn't appear to want to dig into any details, only feed his little "conspiracy" here.

1 in the last 3 Olympics.

That is a simple FACT.

I asked you about past rookies who DID attend the Olympic camp. You have yet to clarify that - Taurasi apparently DID.
Caitlin Clark is a once in a generation talent. FACT.
The Olympics, and sports in general is a business. FACT.
Eyeballs on TV pay the bills. FACT.

What do I need to "admit" here?

Taurasi was a rookie; she was able to attend the tryouts.
Caitlin did not attend the tryouts; which of the other rookies did not?

Your buddy doesn't appear to want to dig into any details, only feed his little "conspiracy" here.
Wanna bet money CC ends up on the roster? Not a conspiracy, just dumbfvckery.

Reactions: noleclone2
Caitlin Clark is a once in a generation talent. FACT.

And her play in her first games is on par with "good" WNBA players, but not the top tier ones. Yet.

Your buddy wants to tout the 30 pts she just put up in the last game, and ignore the 3 pts she put up in the game prior to that. That was the first WNBA game she has been a dominant force - the majority of their other games, she has been good, but not great (yet).

While this could happen, I think it would just compound the original mistake and make everyone even more resentful of CC.

It would not surprise me if CC put out a statement that praises the players named to the team and notes that she can use the time off to continue learning the game, blah blah blah.

Her go to move in situations like these is always to take the high road and relieve the pressure.

Nice call SL, her exact approach.
Really liked how she handles herself in front of the media

Do you also remember when we had segregation in this country? The times they are a changin. Why shouldn’t the best athletes our countries have to offer compete in the Olympics? I’ll hang up and listen.
Totally agree 100%

Only the best should participate. Why are there seperate mens and womens events? There needs to be only one class for the best.

Assuming you (and everyone liking your comment) agrees there should not be seperate segregated sports for inferior athletes?

Totally agree 100%

Only the best should participate. Why are there seperate mens and womens events? There needs to be only one class for the best.

Assuming you (and everyone liking your comment) agrees there should not be seperate segregated sports for inferior athletes?
So you don’t accept the fact that men and women are not equal as far as athleticism, and therefore we should not have separate competitions for each gender?

Minnesota Lynx head coach Cheryl Reeve is the coach of the Olympic team, so presumably she has a lot of input. She said she left Clark off the team because she hasn’t been in the trenches with her yet.

Incidentally, Reeve bitched about Clark on Twitter last month when the WNBA streamed Indiana’s preseason opener against Dallas on the league pass but didn’t stream Minnesota/Chicago the same night. She ended her tweet with the hashtags #12teams and #theWismorethanoneplayer.

So, yeah, she’s a little jealous of Clark.
I read that more with Reeve being upset with the WNBA not doing enough to promote the rest of the league. Which probably makes her resent Clark also, but I think her main beef is with the WNBA.

And anyne with a brain agrees it should be 2 of the last 3... so what exactly is your point?
It would be 2 of the last 4.

US WBB stated 'her WNBA play would be her tryout'. Her play has been "good" but not "dominating".
She accumulated lots of early fouls in her first games, scored just 3 pts two games ago.

That's not really a stellar "tryout" resume. I understand everyone wants her to dominate the game; she hasn't shown that yet.

US WBB stated 'her WNBA play would be her tryout'. Her play has been "good" but not "dominating".
She accumulated lots of early fouls in her first games, scored just 3 pts two games ago.

That's not really a stellar "tryout" resume. I understand everyone wants her to dominate the game; she hasn't shown that yet.
Derp

For the last FVCKING time, it’s not about her being dominant. It’s about eyeballs on tv. She would get more just being on the roster. If you refute that, you’re a liar.

For the last FVCKING time, it’s not about her being dominant. It’s about eyeballs on tv. She would get more just being on the roster. If you refute that, you’re a liar.
Her play more than warrants it, and anyone arguing against that is wrong. The fact there is precedence multiple times of #1 overall picks being on the team, and her being the greatest college player of all-time, makes it even more ridiculous. And then on top, to your point, the monumentally stupid decision to not capitalize on her globally has got to be one of the dumbest decisions i've ever seen. Laughably insane

For the last FVCKING time, it’s not about her being dominant.

It's not?

I thought the point of the Olympics was to win medals.
Take your best team. Not "take your most popular players".

Perhaps you recall Herb Brooks quote:

"I'm not looking for the best players; I'm looking for the right ones."

I'm not the Team USA coaches, and neither are you.
CC has not impressed me as a top tier WNBA talent in her first games; she has gotten into foul trouble more often than not, and has a poor assist/TO ratio thus far.

The fact there is precedence multiple times of #1 overall picks being on the team

I'd already posted for you that Taurasi was able to attend tryouts, and dominated at those tryouts in 2004.

CC was in the NCAA Final Four and did not attend tryouts. I've asked now 4 times which of the other rookie players (2 of them) did not attend the Olympic tryouts and were still put on the team.

No one has answered that question, yet.

So you don’t accept the fact that men and women are not equal as far as athleticism, and therefore we should not have separate competitions for each gender?
Women scream for being treated as equals so let them have it.

Zero need for mens and womens events. That isn't being treated as equals.

Why would they care about fouls? Are they worried about depth? Taurasi can’t play 30 minutes. Nobody seems to care about that. Rhyne Howard is playing on two different teams. That’s a terrible disadvantage.

CC can shoot and pass. Only a few people on the team can do both.

I'd already posted for you that Taurasi was able to attend tryouts, and dominated at those tryouts in 2004.

CC was in the NCAA Final Four and did not attend tryouts. I've asked now 4 times which of the other rookie players (2 of them) did not attend the Olympic tryouts and were still put on the team.

No one has answered that question, yet.
Quick talking about tryouts like thats your big point. She said she received a call that she wasn't on the team, so obviously she was expecting to be on the team or was in consideration. If you think this halfass fictional tryout process was more important.. one that by the looks of the final roster, was pre-determined wellllll in advice, is more important than everything else we outlined, I don't know what to tell you other than you sound ridiculous.

I thought it was her fans being upset about playing time something something was the reason.. now we're on to some workout? Lol, one of the most ridciulous things I've ever heard

Now get the your last word in because I don't feel like arguing aboutthis with you for four years

I don't watch any WNBA except for the occasional highlight I see on twitter. Can someone with more knowledge explain why Arike Ogunbowale didn't make the team? Just looking at the stats on ESPN and she's 2nd in scoring, 1st in steals, and 10th in assists.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Because if you foul out, you don't play.

In early WNBA games, CC got into foul trouble and did not play.
JFC, now you're on to fouls? Pretty sure she's played 30 minutes every game and is top 10 in minutes played. Why don't you do yourself a favor and sit this one out

It's not?

I thought the point of the Olympics was to win medals.
Take your best team. Not "take your most popular players".

Perhaps you recall Herb Brooks quote:

"I'm not looking for the best players; I'm looking for the right ones."

I'm not the Team USA coaches, and neither are you.
CC has not impressed me as a top tier WNBA talent in her first games; she has gotten into foul trouble more often than not, and has a poor assist/TO ratio thus far.
Her skills on the court more than qualify. That’s what makes your argument even more nonsensical. You’ll never admit it, but you’re wrong on all counts here.

?

Howard is not listed on the 5 roster
Sorry, USA Basketball hadn’t updated their roster online.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT