ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestlemania or women's college basketball?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Was kind of hard to tell Monday night! Which is what I wrote about in this week's Tuesdays With Torbee:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by:Tory Brecht

2024_03_25_IowaWBBvWestVirginia_GSAB_0007-1200x897.jpg

Women’s basketball fans tuning in to ESPN last night eager to watch Caitlin Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes continue their quest for a second-consecutive Final 4 run may be forgiven for thinking the Leader in Sports, rather than Netflix, was the new home for WWE’s Monday Night Raw.

Head slaps, body slams, hook-and-holds and all manner of other moves more common to a wresting cage match were judiciously employed by the West Virginia Mountaineers in their attempt to slow down the Hawkeye scoring machine.

It almost worked.

The Mountaineers’ felonious, er, make that aggressive, defense held the high-flying Hawks 28 points below their college basketball leading 92-point scoring average. Of course to do so West Virginia needed to commit 27 called fouls (and likely twice as many non-called offenses.) Iowa made them pay for that overzealousness, shooting a scintillating 83% from the free throw line on the way to a bruise-inducing, 10-point victory and into the Sweet 16.

As they shiver in their ice baths today, the Iowa women should feel elated they took a team’s literal best punch and emerged victorious. It is no secret the blueprint to beat Iowa’s high-scoring, fast-paced, often finesse style is to muck it up and turn free flowing games into street fights (apologies to South Carolina coach Dawn Staley if that description offends her delicate sensibilities.)

Monday night in front of a deafening Carver crowd, the Hawkeyes showed a toughness they have sometimes lacked in the past. It was a gut check game proving they have the grit, tenacity and ability to win ugly, physical games if needed. With heavyweights LSU and South Carolina looming further down the bracket, it is a valuable lesson for a team chasing a difficult dream.

It should also be noted that Iowa held West Virginia to 54 points and itself played lockdown defense at times. Unlike the Hawkeye men, the Iowa women have the capacity to clamp down and stop the opponent from scoring, even on nights when their own offense struggles.

Hawkeye haters – and that’s a growing demographic due to the unprecedented and unrelenting publicity the Caitlin Clark Show generates – were quick to whine about the 27 to 12 foul call disparity, insinuating the officiating favored Iowa. What they fail to note is the Mountaineers likely could have been called for 50-plus fouls. West Virginia coach Mark Kellogg employed the old Tom Izzo strategy of physically harassing every opposing ballhandler and daring the officials to call every foul. To their credit, Monday’s crew did call the most egregious ones, while letting minor misdemeanors go for the most part. They also managed to prevent the game from descending into the kind of chippiness that marred recent games, like that between LSU and South Carolina, where a literal basketbrawl erupted.

It is likely every opponent remaining in the tournament will attempt to intimidate, physically harass and bully the Hawkeyes. The good news is Iowa appears not only better equipped to overcome, but to return the favor a bit. There was an edge and feistiness to not only Clark, but teammates like Kate Martin and Hannah Stuelke as well Monday night. It seems to me the Hawks are sick and tired of being pushed around and are willing to mix it up a bit, which will be key down the stretch.

Personally, I prefer the “beautiful game” of crisp passing, freedom of movement and cascade of three pointers. That is also where the Iowa women’s team thrives best. Unfortunately, that free-flowing style is not shared by any of the teams remaining on Iowa’s side of the bracket, so players and fans alike need to strap in and prepare for more bare knuckle basketball.
Or as Ric Flair once said, “If you don’t like it, learn to LOVE IT!”

Refs aside I love games like this. I love it when absolutely every basket is crucial yet a war to get.

I went to a good many WV games this year. They were more aggressive in this game than normal. Everyone is complaining about the 30-5 free throw discrepancy. I hate when people do that. You're going to have a gap in the number of free throws if you press the entire game and just play more aggressive. But my goodness, the no contact fouls were bullshit. There were at least 5 of those.

Yes, teams that foul a lot send the other team to the line more often.

Thanks for this insigihtful commentary on the game of basket ball.
Well, you're probably more familiar with the game than an NBA player or college coach, so I'll defer to your knowledge.

You are probably correct as it pertains to women's college basketball.

Thanks!
Aaron Kallhoff
@CoachAKallhoff

HEAD WOMEN’S BASKETBALL COACH
@SacStateWBB
. I enjoy recruiting and coaching the best players in the world. Proud Autism Parent and Advocate.

LMFAO

I'm not going to look it up, but there's a tweet showing 3 or 4 different West Virginia games this year that they had over 20 fouls, and the opposing team had less than 10. It's their style. That game was not a random occurrence, that's just how they play.

They're about as smooth as Jameis Winston stealing food.
Yeah, probably just me.

• Love
Reactions: McLovin32
Fox News.....you're stooping low, my friend. Keep up the very mediocre troll job.
Sporting News work?

Bleacher Report?

Sports Illustrated?

Iowa won, be happy. But don't try to pretend that the refs didn't suck.

Sporting News work?

Bleacher Report?

Sports Illustrated?

They did suck. Had they been worth a shit West Virginia may have had a couple players foul out by halftime.

The refs did suck per usual, they could have called way more fouls on WVU than they did. Anyone who just uses the "foul discrepancy" to try and make a point is a simpleton. 22% of their fouls were in the last ~2 minutes of the game. They shot 35 threes. They played full court aggressive defense the entire game. Context matters.

Maybe West Virginia should have attempted to drive the ball instead of chucking up 35 3s.
Exactly. Watch the game again if you think differently. Iowa was playing zone and triangle and 2 most of the game. Those defense are prone to allow more 3 attempts a team has to be conscious about getting it inside and WV was not. You aren't going to foul a lot when the other team is taking a lot of jump shots. Iowa on the other hand was going inside regularly. More fouls are going to happen that way. People who just look at the foul numbers are simpletons.

Sporting News work?

Bleacher Report?

Sports Illustrated?

Let me guess, the articles are just reposts of Tweets?

Let me guess, the articles are just reposts of Tweets?
ESPN said when they covered the game "The only people happy with the officiating are Iowa fans."

Look, sometimes the calls go your way. It's not a knock, but it's true. Iowa got the calls.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
that's fine, you're still obsessed.
It's his thing. Last year he wouldn't stop trolling everyone on here about Angel Reese's antics. He can't troll us about Iowa Football or Basketball because they suck so bad, so he just goes for the only sport that we're currently good at. It ran it's course last year quickly, everyone realized he was a bad troll. Apparently he thinks he's improved since then.

It's his thing. Last year he wouldn't stop trolling everyone on here about Angel Reese's antics. He can't troll us about Iowa Football or Basketball because they suck so bad, so he just goes for the only sport that we're currently good at. It ran it's course last year quickly, everyone realized he was a bad troll. Apparently he thinks he's improved since then.
You think the game was called well?

Oh I know, just couldn't resist. I'm sure somebody like that doesn't cry when FSU gets shafted by the refs.

Oh I know, just couldn't resist. I'm sure somebody like that doesn't cry when FSU gets shafted by the refs.
Of course I complain when FSU gets shafted.
I also recognize when we get a call our way when we shouldn't have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT