ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestlemania or women's college basketball?

I respect your commitment to the troll, despite how friggin' bad your argument is. /Hat tip
Again, I enjoy poking Torbee, but Iowa fans are the only people in the country that don't think the calls were lopsided.

"This is absurd. Absolutely infuriating," USA Today's Dan Wolken wrote. "I feel for the West Virginia team. They’ve played a better game than Iowa and they're not going to get rewarded at all. Hope these refs don't advance."

That doesn't take away from what Iowa or Clark has done. It's just what everyone without black and gold saw watching the game.

Again, I enjoy poking Torbee, but Iowa fans are the only people in the country that don't think the calls were lopsided.

"This is absurd. Absolutely infuriating," USA Today's Dan Wolken wrote. "I feel for the West Virginia team. They’ve played a better game than Iowa and they're not going to get rewarded at all. Hope these refs don't advance."

That doesn't take away from what Iowa or Clark has done. It's just what everyone without black and gold saw watching the game.
This country is full of morons. Who cares what the general public thinks? How did they play a better game? They missed so many open looks it would have been a crime if they won.

Dammit. Again, hat tip to the commitment

This country is full of morons. Who cares what the general public thinks? How did they play a better game? They missed so many open looks it would have been a crime if they won.

Dammit. Again, hat tip to the commitment
It's kinda funny because my twitter feed has been stacked w/ people that thought the officiating favored Iowa. Then when I click on their profiles, their WVU, OSU, and Indiana fans. The vast majority of folks that are loudly complaining, are all fans of teams that have been beaten by Iowa. I'm sure there's no sour grapes at all there.

Edit: Now I'm not saying nobody else complained. But I'm saying the loudest in the bunch are fans of other teams that think Caitlin gets treated special by the refs.

You didn't watch? WTF man?
I'm a big time jinx. I turned it on when it was 48 to 38. I turned it off when it was 48 to 48. **** that. It's not worth it for me to get worked up for a game I really don't care about.

Reactions: JWolf74

Jfc. How in the world did they play a better game? That is just dumb. Iowa led virtually the entire game and by as much as 16 points at one time. They didn’t play a better game. Period. Anyone that says that is being 100% biased.

Again, it's interesting how Iowa's opponents are always 'thugs' and Iowa is just comprised of virtuous players who play the game right.
Every team should model their defense after what WVU did when playing Iowa - it was effective.
Might not get so lopsided calls as they play higher seeds.
I never called WVU thugs, you did. WVU employed a defense that was over the top than what they usually do. They got called for it, and they should have been called for it. And they should have been called for a lot more shit than they were.

Little old Holy Cross tried to thug ball Iowa, WVU went psycho thug ball, and guess what, it didn't work. I expect Colorado to rough up Iowa, and if Iowa wins and plays LSU, I expect another rough game.

Also. All Iowa fans think the calls were lopsided. We just know they should have been lopsided.

All this pissing and moaning from all these clowns and I haven’t seen anything that should have been called on Iowa ior shouldn’t have been called on wvu. . I have however, seen about 6-8 that should have went iowas way but didn’t. Feel free to post all the bad calls against West Virginia and all the no calls against Iowa.

Reactions: Ree4
Seriously folks, another fine article by @torbee . Before any of you call me an ass kisser, Torbs and I have had differences, not many, but some in the past

Reactions: Moral
I was at the game. Iowa definitely got some favorable calls. But WVU definitely benefited from a bunch of missed calls as well. Perhaps towards the end they went more for Iowa than WVU. But on balance, pretty even.

Also... Clark needs to cool it on the refs. Looks like a bit or an entitled jackass.

They played better rugby.

I kind of respect that because one of my best friends told me my senior year at BBall practice, this isn't football Jimmy, this is bball. It worked though because he went on to play college bball. I was making him tougher.

I never called WVU thugs, you did. WVU employed a defense that was over the top than what they usually do. They got called for it, and they should have been called for it. And they should have been called for a lot more shit than they were.

Little old Holy Cross tried to thug ball Iowa, WVU went psycho thug ball, and guess what, it didn't work. I expect Colorado to rough up Iowa, and if Iowa wins and plays LSU, I expect another rough game.
WVU had a great strategy. If you have the athletes play physical man to man defense on Iowa all game. I know I would.

I didn't see anything dirty. Just aggressive and dared the refs to blow the whistle a good bit. Not that different than an Izzo coached team.

It would be great if someone with more time and talent could make a compilation of all the WV non-calls that happened during that game. I would wager for every favorable call/noncall that Iowa got, there were two or three noncalls for WV.

It would be great if someone with more time and talent could make a compilation of all the WV non-calls that happened during that game. I would wager for every favorable call/noncall that Iowa got, there were two or three noncalls for WV.
I don't have the time or care to take on such an inconvenience, but if you went by the letter of the rules, it would have been about 78-40 on actual fouls.

Reactions: torbee
Again, it's interesting how Iowa's opponents are always 'thugs' and Iowa is just comprised of virtuous players who play the game right.
Every team should model their defense after what WVU did when playing Iowa - it was effective.
Might not get so lopsided calls as they play higher seeds.
oh what a bunch of bullsh!t!
That wasn't basketball from WV. It was a rugby match or a roller derby.
WVU knew their only shot was to muck it up and foul so much the refs couldn't possibly call them all.
Bottom line is they had a strategy and hoped they wouldn't get caught doing it. They did. Refs caught em and it should have been worse.
At this point it's becoming about hatred for Caitlin Clark not just about Iowa. Really stupid we have arrived at this point but it goes to show you eventually people will hate you because you are great.
Of course the woke culture has to jump on board and scream bias due to race etc.... That's what this smells like to me.

Also. All Iowa fans think the calls were lopsided. We just know they should have been lopsided.

All this pissing and moaning from all these clowns and I haven’t seen anything that should have been called on Iowa ior shouldn’t have been called on wvu. . I have however, seen about 6-8 that should have went iowas way but didn’t. Feel free to post all the bad calls against West Virginia and all the no calls against Iowa.
This...I bet half the people bitching on social media didn't even watch the damn game.
This is the kind of sh!t that just takes the joy out of everything anymore. Bunch of entitled snowflakes running to the internet and social media to bitch . Just ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole

Here ya go:

Reactions: BelemNole
I know I'm the only WVU person here. They lost because they shit the bed from 3 and couldn't rebound worth a damn, not because of the refs. But refs make bad calls every game for both sides. And it's just as comical to defend these bad calls.

There are certainly a couple ticky tack fouls in there for sure. But quite a few of them were obvious fouls.

There are certainly a couple ticky tack fouls in there for sure. But quite a few of them were obvious fouls.
That 3 pointer at the end of Q3 was a complete hack on the wrist, I remember watching the replay. Look how much whining was done after the call.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
I know I'm the only WVU person here. They lost because they shit the bed from 3 and couldn't rebound worth a damn, not because of the refs. But refs make bad calls every game for both sides. And it's just as comical to defend these bad calls.
They lost because their strategy didn't pay off. It almost did, but they didn't get the same benefit that Tom Izzo's teams get. Their aggressive style of defense naturally generates more fouls. Many of those fouls went uncalled. It is just as comical to defend not calling obvious fouls. Did Iowa get some preferential treatment late in the game? Possible, but WVU was allowed to grab, slap, hook, and push the entire game. Had the entire game been called properly, The Mountaineers would have emptied their bench.
Just accept that your team came into a difficult environment and played a tough game against a superior opponent. Start thinking about next season and build on the fact that you almost pulled off a major upset.

he tramples people like a clydesdale on cocaine.
I normally enjoy your weekly articles, but this . . . this is next level poetic alliterative genius!

(and also true)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Very ironic.
Yes, WVU played physical. That doesn't change the fact that the officiating favored Iowa.
As your previous tweets show, you can recognize that when Iowa is not the beneficiary.

Wife and I were cheering for Iowa, but that doesn't change the fact that the calls were not balanced.

Is this your first time watching college basketball? The refs almost ALWAYS give the edge to the home team (especially when there are 15,000 rabid fans letting them hear it after every call/no call). It's part of the game.

I normally enjoy your weekly articles, but this . . . this is next level poetic alliterative genius!

(and also true)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
The credit goes to Mrs. Muench, the 9th grade AP English teacher at LaFollette High School in Madison.

She taught me alliteration and also was a proponent of utilizing hyperbole in persuasive writing - two techniques I employ regularly in my writing to this day.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
Is this your first time watching college basketball? The refs almost ALWAYS give the edge to the home team (especially when there are 15,000 rabid fans letting them hear it after every call/no call). It's part of the game.
Great, so you agree that the refs gave iowa the edge. Nice to see someone admit it

Great, so you agree that the refs gave iowa the edge. Nice to see someone admit it

I was at the game. Iowa may have received the benefit of the doubt on a couple 50/50 calls, but there were also some no calls that should have been whistled. Overall, the refs were fair. WVU was playing a full court press, tight man-to-man defense the entire game. Iowa wasn't pressing and was mainly playing zone. Of course there is going to be a foul discrepancy when the teams are playing such different styles.

Again, the home team almost ALWAYS gets favorable treatment from the refs.

"Pete Korner, an oddsmaker for the Las Vegas Sports Club, believes on average home-court advantage in college basketball is worth between 3.5 to 4.5 points."

Which one of those wasn’t a foul?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT