ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestlemania or women's college basketball?

Of course I complain when FSU gets shafted.
I also recognize when we get a call our way when we shouldn't have.
Sure Jan GIF

At least you're consistent.
They employed an obvious strategy.

It also almost worked, which I pointed out in the column.

And if you read carefully, I also did not criticize them at all for employing the Izzo strategy (constant physical harassment knowing that refs will not be willing to call every infringement.) It is the best strategy to slow down Clark and Iowa and it will be every team remaining's strategy as well.

It's amusing that you are so blinded by some weird obssession that you couldn't recognize a very obvious (and quite successful) basic basketball strategy.

Exactly!

LSU uses the exact same Izzo-ball strategy and it is a detriment to women's college basketball.

The officials should reward freedom of movement and skill and not reward bully ball that violates the rules.

Same goes for the thyroid case at Purdue, they let that galoot ride people like mules and reward HIM with foul calls even as he tramples people like a clydesdale on cocaine.

This is why the NBA is the superior basketball product.

They employed an obvious strategy.

It also almost worked, which I pointed out in the column.

And if you read carefully, I also did not criticize them at all for employing the Izzo strategy (constant physical harassment knowing that refs will not be willing to call every infringement.) It is the best strategy to slow down Clark and Iowa and it will be every team remaining's strategy as well.

It's amusing that you are so blinded by some weird obssession that you couldn't recognize a very obvious (and quite successful) basic basketball strategy.
Very ironic.
Yes, WVU played physical. That doesn't change the fact that the officiating favored Iowa.
As your previous tweets show, you can recognize that when Iowa is not the beneficiary.

Wife and I were cheering for Iowa, but that doesn't change the fact that the calls were not balanced.

Very ironic.
Yes, WVU played physical. That doesn't change the fact that the officiating favored Iowa.
As your previous tweets show, you can recognize that when Iowa is not the beneficiary.

Wife and I were cheering for Iowa, but that doesn't change the fact that the calls were not balanced.
The officiating did not favor Iowa in the least. Had it, Iowa would have won by 20-plus and fouled out several Mountaineer players.

Iowa overcame the poor officiating because it is the better team with better players and a better coaching staff.

The officiating did not favor Iowa in the least. Had it, Iowa would have won by 20-plus and fouled out several Mountaineer players.

Iowa overcame the poor officiating because it is the better team with better players and a better coaching staff.
Isn't it amazing how only Iowa fans believe that. Perhaps you all watched a different feed than the rest of the country.

My favorite no call of the night was in the fourth when a WV player caught a pass, took about three steps, hesitated, took some more steps and shuffled her feet. She never dribbled and it didn't get called. I thought it was the most hilarious missed travel ever. She started about midway on the arch to the top of the arch.

There was also that hook and hold they were looking at as possible intentional foul, a play or two before that there was a super obvious hook and hold that was missed on WV.

Seems like Gabbie Marshall got the memo because after the half she started playing crazy aggressive essentially daring the refs to call her, but the refs were so clueless that it didn't really happen.

The refs lost control of the game early and did not have the talent to actually get it back under control at any point in the game.

As much as some recent players have helped NCAAW positive exposure the refs have done about as much to dull the positivity.

If the refs can keep being this incompetent the whole game then this will end up being the worst officiated game I have watched.

They delivered.

There was also that hook and hold they were looking at as possible intentional foul, a play or two before that there was a super obvious hook and hold that was missed on WV.
The hook and hold before the one that was reviewed was BLATANT. Even my fiance no pics screamed at the TV when that happened, and she doesn't even watch basketball except when I've got it on.

Reactions: torbee and Moral
I also just remembered that situation in the 1st quarter maybe, where the West Virginia player had the ball out of bounds, and then their guard starting limping, and the refs didn't call the play dead, and like 7-8 seconds went by w/ the player standing out of bounds ready to inbound the ball, then they called it dead for the hurt player......and gave the ball to West Virginia.

My favorite no call of the night was in the fourth when a WV player caught a pass, took about three steps, hesitated, took some more steps and shuffled her feet. She never dribbled and it didn't get called. I thought it was the most hilarious missed travel ever. She started about midway on the arch to the top of the arch.

Seems like Gabbie Marshall got the memo because after the half she started playing crazy aggressive essentially daring the refs to call her, but the refs were so clueless that it didn't really happen.

The refs lost control of the game early and did not have the talent to actually get it back under control at any point in the game.

As much as some recent players have helped NCAAW positive exposure the refs have done about as much to dull the positivity.

They delivered.

I forgot about that obvious travel. They scored a basket on that play as virtually everyone stopped expecting a call. Nothing.

Reactions: JWolf74 and Moral
Isn't it amazing how only Iowa fans believe that. Perhaps you all watched a different feed than the rest of the country.
I DGAF about sour grapes from butthurt rival fanbases. They are jealous of the publicity and hype from the Caitlin Clark show.

None of the commentators AT THE GAME or in the post-game show had anything to say about alleged Iowa-biased officiating so it is obviously whining and crying from losers.

BAU

Near the end of the second quarter, I noticed Gabby started following Harrison around the court, playing some constant “in your face” defense that looked like Gabby had finally had enough of their bullshit and was gonna start feeding it back to WV. If there had been more time on the clock, I think we’d have seen Harrison either shove her or throw a punch.

I was like “you go, Gabby, shove that crap right back in their face!”

Near the end of the second quarter, I noticed Gabby started following Harrison around the court, playing some constant “in your face” defense that looked like Gabby had finally had enough of their bullshit and was gonna start feeding it back to WV. If there had been more time on the clock, I think we’d have seen Harrison either shove her or throw a punch.

I was like “you go, Gabby, shove that crap right back in their face!”
One of the positive takeaways I had from Monday's game was Iowa going toe-to-toe on the physicality and not backing down.

Too often in the past, they'd get frustrated and flustered at physical play and let that that throw them off. Monday, instead, they got pissed and gave it back. Love it.

Another thing that I don’t think has been mentioned much, in response to those claiming an unfair foul-call discrepancy, is this:

Before the start, or near the beginning of the game, they played a clip of the WV coach giving his team a pregame talk. It was all about playing defense as “tight” as they could. Paraphrasing:

“Play ‘em tight. If they get around you, play ‘em tighter! If they push you off, play ‘em tighter! If they call a foul on you, play ‘em tighter!”

It should have been clear to anyone watching the game that their whole strategy was to push Iowa around and get them out of their comfort zone. People complaining about the refs not being “fair” are idiots. NBA players and sports commentators included.

Another thing that I don’t think has been mentioned much, in response to those claiming an unfair foul-call discrepancy, is this:

Before the start, or near the beginning of the game, they played a clip of the WV coach giving his team a pregame talk. It was all about playing defense as “tight” as they could. Paraphrasing:

“Play ‘em tight. If they get around you, play ‘em tighter! If they push you off, play ‘em tighter! If they call a foul on you, play ‘em tighter!”

It should have been clear to anyone watching the game that their whole strategy was to push Iowa around and get them out of their comfort zone. People complaining about the refs not being “fair” are idiots. NBA players and sports commentators included.
Everyone are idiots except Iowa fans.
Amazing.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
There are more people praising Iowa and not crying than there are little bitches whining about officiating by a large margin.

You just are zeroing in on the crybabies.
You know torbs...both can be true.
Iowa is a good time and Clark is amazing.
And they still got the calls.

• Haha
You know torbs...both can be true.
Iowa is a good time and Clark is amazing.
And they still got the calls.
Nope.

Should have been additional fouls called on WVU.

Gotta get that strategy out of the college game the way the NBA has. Reward freedom Of movement, punish overly handsy defense.

Nope.

Should have been additional fouls called on WVU.

Gotta get that strategy out of the college game the way the NBA has. Reward freedom Of movement, punish overly handsy defense.
LOL and people wonder why I like to poke you.

• Haha
Very ironic.

And they shouldn't have been balanced. Iowa mainly deployed a zone defense, WVU was jacking 3's all game, and WVU was playing whack-a-mole on Iowa. There were many calls that should have been made that weren't, against both teams.

It's going to be interesting how Colorado plays defense. They are good, but pushing, grabbing, and general thuggery will get you in trouble foul wise .

Reactions: Kelsers and torbee
I didn't watch. But good. Iowa deserves a few games where the refs don't screw them over.

Reactions: Bierhalter
And they shouldn't have been balanced. Iowa mainly deployed a zone defense, WVU was jacking 3's all game, and WVU was playing whack-a-mole on Iowa. There were many calls that should have been made that weren't, against both teams.

It's going to be interesting how Colorado plays defense. They are good, but pushing, grabbing, and general thuggery will get you in trouble foul wise .
Again, it's interesting how Iowa's opponents are always 'thugs' and Iowa is just comprised of virtuous players who play the game right.
Every team should model their defense after what WVU did when playing Iowa - it was effective.
Might not get so lopsided calls as they play higher seeds.

• Haha
Again, it's interesting how Iowa's opponents are always 'thugs' and Iowa is just comprised of virtuous players who play the game right.
Every team should model their defense after what WVU did when playing Iowa - it was effective.
Might not get so lopsided calls as they play higher seeds.
I respect your commitment to the troll, despite how friggin' bad your argument is. /Hat tip

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT