ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Articles now on WrestleStat

andegre

HR Heisman
May 18, 2004
Urbandale, IA
One of the features I've been anxious to add this offseason was an RSS feed reader service. I designed it to combine all wrestling-related articles and blog posts into a single source so they are all visible in one spot so people don't have to go hunting for them. Obviously, there are RSS readers out there where individuals can specifically sign up for their favorite feeds, but the purpose of this was to combine all of these for the general wrestling public, and/or for fans that may not be that familiar with all of the different outlets.

Right now there are about a dozen feeds loaded into the system. The page linked below will then display all of the feeds that have come from these services, and display them strictly by their publish date.

In the next few days, there will be a team-specific view (tab) that will be added to the schools profile pages so if there are any feeds that are specific to a team (like @Todd Conner blog is specifically for Iowa), then only those feeds will show up on the schools page.

Right now, the feeds are not automatically updating, I just need to toggle that feature on after one more quick code change, but what is in the system is current as of about midnight this morning.

If there are anymore feeds that are college wrestling related, please send them to either myself (wrestlestat@gmail.com), or @obrats (obrats@aol.com), or just reply to this thread. Also in the future, I'll either add a "mailto:" option somewhere on the site where it will automatically open a new email where the user can enter the URL, then send, or I'll open up the "Add Feed" page to some more users so they can add them themselves.

Let me know what you think of this:

https://test.wrestlestat.com/feed/list

Nice work!

My RSS feeds are old as dirt in Feedly, the only one I see which is regularly updated that I don't think you have on there is Five Point Move

http://www.fivepointmove.com/

Their feed name is unfortunately "RSS 2.0" but I'm sure you can change that.

Reactions: andegre
eIM.gif

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
He knows what’s right. No company that doesn’t match HWC donations is worth your employment. Andre doesn’t need me to tell him that. That little mini Gable on his shoulder has already told him.

Quick little update...

Feed stuff is all done.

There are a few new pages:

• Feed Sources
  • Feeds by Source
  • Feeds By School

On the main feeds page (linked above), the feed source on the left is now a hyperlink so you can view all of the feeds for just that source.
If a specific feed is for a school, there's a note at the bottom of the feed saying "Feeds are for.... | See all feeds for {school}". Click that and you can see all of the feeds that are assigned to that school.

Also, the feeds are updated every 15 minutes, per feed source. The trick is, you have to navigate to the "Feeds by Source" page for it to actually retrieve any new feeds. Sometime in the future, when I get my batch job service updated, I'll have these feeds updated automatically every 15 minutes, instead of having to go to that particular feed source page.

We're all ready to go, start sending any new feeds to us.

Lastly, WrestleStat now has official email addresses:

andegre@wrestlestat.com
obrats@wrestlestat.com (@obrats hasn't turned his on yet...)
support@wrestlestat.com

Reactions: depelland
This all sounds really awesome now if someone could explain all that in senior citizen..... kidding kind of...... did just check out the test page and your site is really easily navigated.... nice job

Reactions: andegre
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT