ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ puts asterisk by Clark's upcoming record

Someone should tell all the detractors this little piece of info:

It took 139 games for Lynette Woodard to score her 3,649 career points at Kansas (from 1978-1981).

It will take 130 games for Caitlin to pass Lynette Woodard's mark (all Caitlin has to do is average 27 ppg in the next 6 games). Game #130 for Caitlin, when she breaks Lynette's all time scoring record, is Sunday, March 3rd vs Ohio State (Senior Day), 12:00 pm CT Tip, TV: FOX. This, of course, is the last game of the regular season.

Last edited:
The point of them including Clark is purely for the attention.

They could've easily written the story just to shine a light on these other women who set scoring records in the older versions of women's college basketball.

I just watched a video the other day about Jackie Stiles. Nothing about puffing up her stats compared to others, or putting asterisks on anything. Just bringing a light to a woman that was once the all-time leading scorer in WCBB and probably at this point is somehow also one of the most underrated women's players in this current era.

The point of them including Clark is purely for the attention.

They could've easily written the story just to shine a light on these other women who set scoring records in the older versions of women's college basketball.

I just watched a video the other day about Jackie Stiles. Nothing about puffing up her stats compared to others, or putting asterisks on anything. Just bringing a light to a woman that was once the all-time leading scorer in WCBB and probably at this point is somehow also one of the most underrated women's players in this current era.
Yea. I found it strange too. The article itself wasn’t that controversial or really about Caitlin. The title and sub title I saw, sure made it about Caitlin though.

I don't understand why this is such an issue. Does one have to be from one of the coasts to be eligible to hold a record? It's not like she's breaking Babe Ruth's home run record that has stood for 100 years. Someone will likely break her record in our lifetimes. Are we going to throw a shitfit when a 7th year senior breaks her scoring record.

Actually, of course we are.

Maybe when talking about career records, people should let the careers play out.

Nobody respects JBo’s “records” because of the extra season. And if Clark comes back next year, her records will be diminished because everyone outside of Iowa will point to the extra year even though she’s going to break them this season.

I just don’t understand why people are up in arms about this until it happens. It will be really easy to point to total points scored and total games played. Divide one by the other to get scoring average, and her numbers will pop out at you compared to the others. The Joens girl is in the top 10 of scoring, but her average is massively lower because of the extra games from the extra season. Everyone sees that and nobody outside of central Iowa talks about her being one of the all time greats because of it.

Hate
Hate
Hate
Click bait
Click bait
Click bait

s reactions share GIF

Maybe when talking about career records, people should let the careers play out.

Nobody respects JBo’s “records” because of the extra season. And if Clark comes back next year, her records will be diminished because everyone outside of Iowa will point to the extra year even though she’s going to break them this season.

I just don’t understand why people are up in arms about this until it happens. It will be really easy to point to total points scored and total games played. Divide one by the other to get scoring average, and her numbers will pop out at you compared to the others. The Joens girl is in the top 10 of scoring, but her average is massively lower because of the extra games from the extra season. Everyone sees that and nobody outside of central Iowa talks about her being one of the all time greats because of it.
Yeah. Unfortunately, that's not true. There is a lot of hype growing about her being the leading scorer in all of college basketball, men's and women's. The press will celebrate it without a mention of the stats you state. Nobody will care that Pete Maravich scored 3667 points in just 83 games and averaged a whopping 44.2 points per game without a three-point line.

FYI. The DII record is over 4000 and the NAIA record is over 4200

Reactions: Ree4 and amahawk
Yeah. Unfortunately, that's not true. There is a lot of hype growing about her being the leading scorer in all of college basketball, men's and women's. The press will celebrate it without a mention of the stats you state. Nobody will care that Pete Maravich scored 3667 points in just 83 games and averaged a whopping 44.2 points per game without a three-point line.

FYI. The DII record is over 4000 and the NAIA record is over 4200
Kim Mulkey cares about Pete Maravich because he shot 40 times a game. He doesn’t have that record if his dad wasn’t the coach.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and Hawkman34

What do you mean by extra year? She's not coming back.

I don't understand why this is such an issue. Does one have to be from one of the coasts to be eligible to hold a record? It's not like she's breaking Babe Ruth's home run record that has stood for 100 years. Someone will likely break her record in our lifetimes. Are we going to throw a shitfit when a 7th year senior breaks her scoring record.

I mean, JuJu Watkins can easily break the record in just three seasons. Records come, records go. Just enjoy the basketball.

I mean, JuJu Watkins can easily break the record in just three seasons. Records come, records go. Just enjoy the basketball.
She might. She did score 51 points one time. We'll see if she can sustain that once defenses set up game plans to stop her. How has she been doing since then, anyway? I haven't heard much about her.

She might. She did score 51 points one time. We'll see if she can sustain that once defenses set up game plans to stop her. How has she been doing since then, anyway? I haven't heard much about her.
Averaging 27.5 ppg as a freshman. Defenses have been scheming against since the moment she set foot on a college court. Just like CC, it doesn't matter. Baller.

For the naysayers, she will likely end up with more points than her, too. So, someone will find fault with Caitlin topping Woodard's point total, too. No three point line, fewer minutes played, something. And this will come from people who 4 months ago didn't no Caitlin Clark from a Clark bar.

Not Woodard’s fault, because you play the teams on your schedule, but is anyone going to comment on the overall depth and quality of the women's college game in her day, and her playing many games against what was probably the equivalent of intramural teams. So, scoring a lot of points in games against far inferior talent did happen.

For Example: 1978-1979 Schedule

Point being, you can go round and round on this crap.

Hence, that is why there are asterisk, to highlight the differences. That is why Maris had an asterisk. Should Woodward's include that she played with a mens ball, no , 3 point line. Probably. Someone will come along and break Caitlin's record and the rules may have a 4 point shot. Should their be an asterisk then?

Hence, that is why there are asterisk, to highlight the differences. That is why Maris had an asterisk. Should Woodward's include that she played with a mens ball, no , 3 point line. Probably. Someone will come along and break Caitlin's record and the rules may have a 4 point shot. Should their be an asterisk then?
Almost every new record could be saddled with an asterisk by someone if they look hard enough. They're worthless and only seek to minimalize the performance of the new record holder. Maris got an asterisk because he wasn't deemed worthy of breaking Ruth's record, not just to highlight a difference.

Reactions: sober_teacher
The “Clark record asterisk” headline is just clickbait, the actual content is more about how AIAW-era stats should be rolled into the NCAA record book

Bachman seems to have some issue with Caitlin as she’s done this to her before (gratuitously adding in Angel Reese stuff in her Clark pieces, for example). I think she does it just to increase eyeballs on her pieces

It’s a cynical strategy that I strongly dislike

Reactions: Bierhalter

Well Barry Bonds broke Ruth's records...

Almost every new record could be saddled with an asterisk by someone if they look hard enough. They're worthless and only seek to minimalize the performance of the new record holder. Maris got an asterisk because he wasn't deemed worthy of breaking Ruth's record, not just to highlight a difference.
No he got an asterisk because of 162 games vs 154. I haven't looked, I wonder if anything has sn asterisk because of the steroid era.

What are the odds Caitlin comes back for the Covid year. NIL money would be good. WNBA playing for a team that won third of their games last year, not the best situation.

Averaging 27.5 ppg as a freshman. Defenses have been scheming against since the moment she set foot on a college court. Just like CC, it doesn't matter. Baller.

Recent Games​

See All

DateOPPResultMINPTSREBASTSTLBLKTOFG%FT%3P%PF
Fri 2/9vsASUASUW
81-63
Sun 2/4@CALCALW
79-69
Fri 2/2@STAN4STANW
67-58
Sun 1/28vsWASHWASHL
62-59
Fri 1/26vsWSUWSUW
70-62

The WSJ knows what moves the needle, and that is Caitlin Clark. Think of the article in the same way you think of a Pink Floyd reaction video on YouTube; the real talent is in the subject, not the creator of the video. That’s why you’re watching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT