ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster - no longer a Cyclone

Here is how the truth is disseminated at Moo U:

"He hasn’t been available for practice yet, due to some medical and health things that I probably can’t discuss, unfortunately," first-season Iowa State coach T.J. Otzelberger told a handful of reporters Tuesday.

The Iowa State Daily account is pretty lurid.

At least they made the correct choice a year after the event occurred.

In fairness, he was missing due to what he allegedly did to harm the health of another young woman.

"He hasn’t been available for practice yet, due to some medical and health things that I probably can’t discuss, unfortunately," first-season Iowa State coach T.J. Otzelberger told a handful of reporters Tuesday.

I think it's possible that Ooodleberger got to the point that the public relations nightmare and distraction would create a problem in recruiting.

The Clone basketball team was going to suck with, or without, Foster. The dismissal only helps to reduce expectations for this season.

You have to wonder, given Pollard's relationship with the Ames Police, just when he was told that this young victim had come forward with this accusation in Oct of 2020.

While I enjoy the terrible publicity the Clowns are getting from this incident everyone should slow their role on the "perpetrator" and "victim". We do not know there even is a victim, only an accuser. No one knows all the facts. Like her "statement" might be full of holes that place her credibility in doubt. Scandals sell newspapers and website hits but until you see all of the facts we should avoid using labels like victim because we do not know if there is a victim.

Somewhere in America every day a woman lies about some sexual or physical encounter, usually to simply punish a guy for the crime of being insensitive to her post coital emotional needs. On the other hand, somewhere in America some dirty bully sexually or physically abuses a woman and lies about it when confronted.

Foster looks bad but we do not even know what he's saying to lawyers or coppers about the incident. Foster should not be punished until he admits wrongdoing or is proven guilty. Until then he is presumed innocent. ISU has egregiously and permanently wronged an innocent man if Foster turns out to be not guilty-the story will live forever on the internet. If he turns out to be guilty then the state needs to bust his balls hard to make a good high profile example of how we expect boys and men to treat women.​

Last edited:
While I enjoy the terrible publicity the Clowns are getting from this incident everyone should slow their role on the "perpetrator" and "victim". We do not know there even is a victim, only an accuser. No one knows all the facts. Like her "statement" might be full of holes that place her credibility in doubt. Scandals sell newspapers and website hits but until you see all of the facts we should avoid using labels like victim because we do not know if there is a victim.

Somewhere in America every day a woman lies about some sexual or physical encounter, usually to simply punish a guy for the crime of being insensitive to her post coital emotional needs. On the other had, somewhere in America some dirty bully sexually or physically abuses a woman and lies about it when confronted.

Foster looks bad but we do not even know what he's saying to lawyers or coppers about the incident. Foster should not be punished until he admits wrongdoing or is proven guilty. Until then he is presumed innocent. ISU has egregiously and permanently wronged an innocent man if Foster turns out to be not guilty-the story will live forever on the internet. If he turns out to be guilty then the state needs to bust his balls hard to make a good high profile example of how we expect boys and men to treat women.​

Allegedly is a word I like to use

Somewhere in America every day a woman lies about some sexual or physical encounter, usually to simply punish a guy for the crime of being insensitive to her post coital emotional needs. On the other hand, somewhere in America some dirty bully sexually or physically abuses a woman and lies about it when confronted.

While I agree with most of what you say, in Foster's case, I think it's more about lowering expectations for the new MBB coach at ISU. By booting him now before any guilty verdict or even any trial... Oodleberger can claim some moral high ground about culture and personal responsibility.

The ISU program will be lucky to surpass last year's win total. Now he's simply got another excuse by saying he booted a returning player. For all we know, and we don't know much, the fans seem to be ready to assume guilt.

ISU athletics is a mess right now. Pollard led the entire program from a level of success to a point of several bad hires in multiple sports in recent years.

There are some females who lie about being sexually assaulted….. but the vast majority who report assaults are truthful. There are many victims of sexual assault who don’t report the assault to law enforcement. There are many reasons they don’t report…a significant reason is the scrutiny and victim blaming that occurs to a person who has been subjected to significant trauma. These are very difficult cases.

I don't assume guilt, but the timing seems to suggest they have reason to believe the allegations.

I like having a good laugh at ISU, but this isn’t it. Regardless of how this plays out, there are only losers, not winners. And that’s tragic.

With that being said, the timeline of events is very troublesome.

The allegations go back a full year. I have a hard time believing the program wasn’t aware, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fast forward to July 2021, we know the Iowa
State student newspaper reached out to the program for comment. That request was denied.

XF has participated in team events since. The press asked about him and the coach didn’t address it. The team dismissed him at the same time the story hit.

Jamie Pollard has some serious questions to answer. I know a little about freedom of information requests and I’m confident that process has already started. This is only going to get worse before it gets better.

TLDR: ISU in trouble

I don't assume guilt, but the timing seems to suggest they have reason to believe the allegations.

I think PerryHawk would agree from a LEO perspective a nearly contemporaneous, and certainly a prompt report, is usually strong evidence of guilt.

The sweet spot from a report timing perspective is about 14 days. It takes some girls/women days to work up the courage to invite such an invasion of not just privacy but intimacy. Beyond that period you start getting into enough time to put together a story and think through details.

The Foster accuser made a report that was almost contemporaneous and that looks bad for Foster. The more I thought about the timing of the search warrant for DNA really sounds like just the last thing the prosecution felt it needed so they must already have conducted a broad social or direct media communication search. These nitwit young people make the stupidest admissions in social media, its amazing. The communications made public also sound very bad for Foster.

Perry, you know the cases from a prosecution perspective. Since Foster's DNA sample will always be available, given what we know of the case, would that be one of the last things the prosecution would bring in. After all, its evidence not subject to change over time.​

Last edited:
I like having a good laugh at ISU, but this isn’t it. Regardless of how this plays out, there are only losers, not winners. And that’s tragic.

With that being said, the timeline of events is very troublesome.

The allegations go back a full year. I have a hard time believing the program wasn’t aware, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fast forward to July 2021, we know the Iowa
State student newspaper reached out to the program for comment. That request was denied.

XF has participated in team events since. The press asked about him and the coach didn’t address it. The team dismissed him at the same time the story hit.

Jamie Pollard has some serious questions to answer. I know a little about freedom of information requests and I’m confident that process has already started. This is only going to get worse before it gets better.

TLDR: ISU in trouble
Another interesting unknown. What did Pollard know. If all he knew was someone made an accusation ISU really is not under any obligation to distance or discipline Foster, nor should they. I'm guessing questions were asked and Foster probably did not truthfully answer. The ISU people may have been recently undated with new facts known to law enforcement that disclose Foster lied to ISU. That gives ISU the ability to unload Foster without taking a position on the underlying accusations or risking any litigation if it turns out Foster is wrongfully accused. The fact that ISU took so long to act is, I think, also at least a smoke signal that law enforcement has assembled a very strong case and ISU needs to sever ties.​

does anyone have a quick time line of when the alleged incident happened and what happened between then and now? when did the police get contacted? when did the Clown U AD / head coach find out? Etc.

does anyone have a quick time line of when the alleged incident happened and what happened between then and now? when did the police get contacted? when did the Clown U AD / head coach find out? Etc.
I'm guessing most of that information has not been made public. No trial from either no charges or a plea deal and that information may never be publicly available. The alleged assault was October of 20 I think.

I think PerryHawk would agree from a LEO perspective a nearly contemporaneous, and certainly a prompt report, is usually strong evidence of guilt.

The sweet spot from a report timing perspective is about 14 days. It takes some girls/women days to work up the courage to invite such an invasion of not just privacy but intimacy. Beyond that period you start getting into enough time to put together a story and think through details.

The Foster accuser made a report that was almost contemporaneous and that looks bad for Foster. The more I thought about the timing of the search warrant for DNA really sounds like just the last thing the prosecution felt it needed so they must already have conducted a broad social or direct media communication search. These nitwit young people make the stupidest admissions in social media, its amazing. The communications made public also sound very bad for Foster.

Perry, you know the cases from a prosecution perspective. Since Foster's DNA sample will always be available, given what we know of the case, would that be one of the last things the prosecution would bring in. After all, its evidence not subject to change over time.​
I’ve only read the recent reports where Ames PD said he was a target and made some comment about decisions being “victim” led, basically….so my only “assumption” would be that it is one of the last things the prosecution would do. They might be dotting their I’s crossing their T’s in preparation for charging…or not?

I'm guessing most of that information has not been made public. No trial from either no charges or a plea deal and that information may never be publicly available. The alleged assault was October of 20 I think.

The ISU paper has had the most detailed account of what happened

Reactions: Franisdaman

Thanks, that puts some new information on the table for me. Did Foster know she was drugged? Did he force her into oral sex? Were there witnesses who saw her right before she left with Foster? Was Foster even in the truck or did she connect with him at a party?

Sexual assault is a specific intent crime-you have to know there is the absence of consent, which usually comes with the circumstantial evidence that surrounds the encounter. Now an even more interesting case.

I don't know anything about this case, but if it happened a year ago and they still haven't filed any charges I think it is best to allow the process to continue and not assume any quilt on his part at this time. It is a sad situation though and I hope they find the truth and achieve a just resolution.

Reactions: perryhawk
I’m sorry but are we already coming up with a juvenile nickname for Otzelburger?
I always want to call him Dewey Oxburger, but his friends call him Ox.
download_large.jpg

There are some females who lie about being sexually assaulted….. but the vast majority who report assaults are truthful. There are many victims of sexual assault who don’t report the assault to law enforcement. There are many reasons they don’t report…a significant reason is the scrutiny and victim blaming that occurs to a person who has been subjected to significant trauma. These are very difficult cases.
I think it makes a bit of difference when the sexual assault involves athletes, at least in the publics eye. There have been cases in the past with high profile athletes, of women chasing money and looking for a $ settlement. Now im not saying there aren’t sexual assaults that involve athletes, because there most certainly are. Im just making the point that some people are maybe a little more skeptical when it involves one simply because of some cases in the past. Sorry if im way off base, but that is kinda how i view it.

Might have been drugged....yikes
But who did the drugging and who knew about it are now important questions. Given what we know about the timing and duration of the investigation the police might already have a significant number of witness statements that answer some of those questions.

Kind of tragic for the people involved. Fascinating from a public interest perspective.

Some of the witness statements could involve other ISU athletes in an unflattering manner. That would be too bad.

Reactions: perryhawk

Thank you.

I wonder why there was an 8 month gap between the alleged assault & getting his DNA.

Here is a timeline:

Oct. 11, 2020: An 18-year-old woman reported the sexual assault when she went to Mary Greeley Medical Center. She believes she had been drugged. The woman says she met Foster at a party but doesn’t remember anything that happened there. The next morning, the woman woke up in a Copper Beech apartment, pants unzipped and missing her underwear and left shoe. The woman was told by another person at the same party that she was hanging out with Foster.

June 23, 2021: The Ames Police Department executed a search warrant to collect an oral DNA sample from Foster to compare it with DNA found on the woman, according to court documents.

June, 2021: The Iowa State Daily learned of the search warrant

July 28, 2021: Rep from Clown U told the ISU Daily that “This is the first thing I’m hearing of this.”

Good riddance. Good for TJ.

I've been out of the loop for a week or so. When I read TJ (not some juvenile nickname) dismissed XF, I was not upset or surprised. Never was terribly impressed, but xut him some slack due to his foot injury. I figured it was a work ethic, chemistry-type issue. When I read about the sexual assault, I'm glad he's gone. No number of wins is worth a puke like that representing your university + team.

I understand "presumed innocent", but the ISU legal counsel surely know enough to ok a dismissal.

Sadly, I'm sure situations like this are underreported.

Been listening to Williams + Blum podcast. Sounds like XF wasn't in the rotation. Assault allegations aside, he wasn't living up to program expectations. Hard to say - just what CW was reporting as an insider - gotta take his word I guess. Whatever the case, good riddance. Like CW said, this sets the program back a little, but long term it's better to get rid of any dead weight early.

Been listening to Williams + Blum podcast. Sounds like XF wasn't in the rotation. Assault allegations aside, he wasn't living up to program expectations. Hard to say - just what CW was reporting as an insider - gotta take his word I guess. Whatever the case, good riddance. Like CW said, this sets the program back a little, but long term it's better to get rid of any dead weight early.

Sadly college bball and football littered with guys like Foster who flame out. For either dumb off the field/court antics or not living up to the hype. Read how Wisconsin lost 2 rbs before the season now another one dismissed. A name others in Iowa may remember is Jerry Myles. Suppose to be next big time recruit out of Iowa little less than a decade ago. Goes to prep school and flames out and last I read was someone posting on here getting arrested for something and didn't even make it to college. Sometimes they were over rated by these recruiting services or they don't put in the work when they get to college. They've been told pre college during AAU ball and by all the college recruiting them how great they are then they step foot on campus and it's a whole different world. Sometimes it's interesting to looking back at top 100-250 list 4-5 years later and seeing how did and didn't live up to the expectations in both sports. But better to cut bait sooner than later with Foster.

This is shocking. Blum and Williams downplaying the loss of their best Center on the roster. Never.

Like I said, possibly a way for the coach to get rid of a player always injured or just not playing well, and freeing a scholie for someone else, something TJ knows how to do (did it for Fred).

Foster wasn’t even the best player on his high school team.

the kid UNI got worked his ass off and always have 100%.

Foster has the body to be a great great player. He doesn’t have the drive to be more than a bench warmer.

Reactions: bowlhawk

Foster is injured, we've known about it for a while before this news broke and that's what the quote was about.

ISU kicked him off the team as soon as chargers were brought. I don't know what you expect them to do before that. If he never gets charged you probably can't kick a guy off the team.

Student code of conduct on most campuses won’t require criminal activity to be involved before violations. Usually athletes must be even better than that.

Foster is injured, we've known about it for a while before this news broke and that's what the quote was about.

ISU kicked him off the team as soon as chargers were brought. I don't know what you expect them to do before that. If he never gets charged you probably can't kick a guy off the team.
He's been charged?

Reactions: hooper56
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT