ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

Sooo he's basically Kirk ferentz without the outlier season every 6 years?

Yup, just imagine if Fran would have won 2 conference titles (shared) and made a couple of elite eight runs and a couple more to the sweet 16.

Pretty much the equivalent of what KF did in the first half of his career at Iowa with 2 shared titles, 2 bcs games (1 win), and a handful of finishes in the Top 10.

Last edited:
It's Chris Williams, he thinks he's cool because he drinks Busch Light, and gave enough handy's to Keith Murphy and Andy Fales to finally fit in their group.

And has ISU beating OU tomorrow night after saying last week that he thinks ISU finishes the season 3-1 and assumes the loss will be in Norman.

Seriously, is there a bigger homer that "covers" ISU or Iowa than that guy?

He has had them winning every game this year in his preview columns. Its like he cant think rationally when its time to make his picks the week of the game.
Oh man, he had a Tiny chubby the other day about Iowa opponents name.

And has ISU beating OU tomorrow night after saying last week that he thinks ISU finishes the season 3-1 and assumes the loss will be in Norman.

Seriously, is there a bigger homer that "covers" ISU or Iowa than that guy?

He has had them winning every game this year in his preview columns. Its like he cant think rationally when its time to make his picks the week of the game.
I don't honestly listen much as I'm out of the area now, but most Des Moines radio is garbage, outside of Condon who actually knows his stuff and doesn't come across as a homer. I think his time slot got moved. Ross just kisses Williams a$$, Murph and Andy just talk random things, while loving to prove how smart they think they are, and kiss Pollards a$$ every chance they get. The other guys (can't remember their name) at 4 are unlistenable(RIP Wolfgang).

Reactions: perryhawk
Honest question, who are you talking about? I think they've all been very good speakers that I've heard recently.
Don't think to much into his comment. You will find alot of subtle racism on here. He means since 85% of ISU's scholarship players are black they all talk like they are "thugs".

Don't think to much into his comment. You will find alot of subtle racism on here. He means since 85% of ISU's scholarship players are black they all talk like they are "thugs".
You're the only person bringing race into it. Don't you have some halfway important people to tweet, in order to try to get attention?

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
If you want a virus, I would say go do it. That site is one of the worst sites I've ever visited with all the malware and stuff. I won't ever go back it was that bad.
I went there to check out the XF posts to see what others were talking about, never again. Man, what a sensitive group, they hate everything Iowa.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I went there to check out the XF posts to see what others were talking about, never again. Man, what a sensitive group, they hate everything Iowa.
I have nothing to add other than, that every time I see your handle pop up in a thread it makes me chuckle. That is all, carry on.

So he was left with 7 scholarship players, one that was an all conference type player (Oliver).

This says those 4 played that season and 3 out of the 4 played more than 10 games:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa/2000.html
Fascinating - Bauer was a walk-on, so I don't really count him, but none of them are not listed in Wikipedia nor do I remember them playing for Alford but, based on the field goals made (2 total for all 3) for the other 3 mentioned, I can see why. The Minutes Played column is blank on that site so it is really hard to tell if they even got into games.

Blast from the past!

Fascinating - Bauer was a walk-on, so I don't really count him, but none of them are not listed in Wikipedia nor do I remember them playing for Alford but, based on the field goals made (2 total for all 3) for the other 3 mentioned, I can see why. The Minutes Played column is blank on that site so it is really hard to tell if they even got into games.

Blast from the past!

Thanks for the info on Bauer.

Its hard to argue that Fran was given a bare cupboard and Alford wasnt. Not saying you did but someone in this thread threw out Fran's first year when comparing his and Alford's winning % but counted Alford's full tenure at Iowa.

Thanks for the info on Bauer.

Its hard to argue that Fran was given a bare cupboard and Alford wasnt. Not saying you did but someone in this thread threw out Fran's first year when comparing his and Alford's winning % but counted Alford's full tenure at Iowa.
Read my earlier post. Alford had the table set for a great recruiting class the next few years until he screwed up with Pierce and his attitude. The fans were rabid. What McC walked into was far worse from that perspective and it's not even close.

Nah. For basketball there’s about 20 programs that historically dominate final four appearances (5 or more) and teams like Virginia, Arizona, Wisconsin and Villanova aren’t even among them...yet. Basketball is far, far, far more wide open than football.

The “we’re not elite” card is a poor argument for excusing Iowa’s irrelevance in the modern era. How many Big Ten teams have been to the final four since Iowa’s last trip? 7— Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State and Minnesota (plus Maryland as an ACC team). All of those teams except Minnesota have been there more than once since Lute did it.

A list of teams nationally that have been to the sweet 16 (lots multiple times) since Iowa’s last appearance would sober you. The list of teams that have made it just since Fran took over would sober you, and many of those teams aren’t even close to “elite”.

I think Fran has done a solid job at Iowa. Players develop and graduate. No one has to hold their nose while cheering for any of our players. Our teams are mostly competitive in the league and the staff is impeccably squeaky clean. There’s a heck of a lot to be proud of..... BUT zero sweet sixteen appearances in 9 seasons? Zero league titles (never close)? Zero conference tourney titles (never close)? Three tourney wins with an average seed of 9? ....Hardly terrible but .... no one outside of Iowa City is the least bit impressed by that body of work. Why should they be?

You don’t have to be a blue blood or “elite” to be nationally relevant. Ask Wisconsin (who is also squeaky clean and develops and graduates players and has been to the sweet sixteen SIX times since Fran took over at Iowa).

Fans will continue to make endless excuses for Fran not because his body of work is impressive but because they don’t want to risk another Likliter. And in the end, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Somebody has to finish in the middle of the pack every year. Better than the bottom.

So much this ^

Heck, we played Virginia in the NIT several years ago. It's all about getting the horses out on the recruiting trail, though. There's diamonds in the rough ,there's guys who develop and become great players like Aaron White. But by and large, either you have the guys or you don't, and if you don't, you can't expect a lot better than .500 in the league and sneaking into the tournament.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Per my source, “my boss’s old golf coach is his grandpa and lives here in CR. Boss talked to him a couple weeks ago and said it was Iowa v isu a day or two before it was announced. Said he likes ISUs staff more but like Iowa’s players more. Then after the gf news he was fairly confident in the hawks. Plus he likes those Murray twins and knows em well apparently. Fran made a point to tell foster they were committing before they announced.”

Those murray twins commitments make sense now if this is true

Per my source, “my boss’s old golf coach is his grandpa and lives here in CR. Boss talked to him a couple weeks ago and said it was Iowa v isu a day or two before it was announced. Said he likes ISUs staff more but like Iowa’s players more. Then after the gf news he was fairly confident in the hawks. Plus he likes those Murray twins and knows em well apparently. Fran made a point to tell foster they were committing before they announced.”

Those murray twins commitments make sense now if this is true

Your source's boss's old golf coach? No disrespect, but please forgive me if I don't take this to the bank.

I've made my peace with this whole saga, and I hope everyone else can, too. If Foster picks Iowa on Monday, great. If not, so be it. I'm not going to freak out about it.

Your source's boss's old golf coach? No disrespect, but please forgive me if I don't take this to the bank.

I've made my peace with this whole saga, and I hope everyone else can, too. If Foster picks Iowa on Monday, great. If not, so be it. I'm not going to freak out about it.
I’m just passing along info I received on this situation.

I report, you decide.

Cyclone fans are claiming it's a done deal that he's going to State, for whatever that's worth.

You should visit there the 48 hours after a loss to Iowa. This year it was the phantom holding call, year before it was the weather and for bball was because Wigginton didn't play. About the only time I go there is to get a good laugh to hear their excuses. Talk about a group that would fit in well for a remake of one flew over the cuckoos nest.

Reactions: owenhawk

I believe that @BrunoMars420 said that his source's info came from his boss,... and that the boss got the info from his old golf coach, who is Foster's grandfather,.. do I have that right?

Cyclone fans are claiming it's a done deal that he's going to State, for whatever that's worth.

Cyclone fans claim a lot of things.

They don't know anymore than anyone else. And it's quite possible Xavier is really torn on this decision. That is my guess.

They don't know anymore than anyone else. And it's quite possible Xavier is really torn on this decision. That is my guess.

From what I've heard, the plan was for XF to let his family know by today what his choice was so they could make arrangements. I don't think he's undecided anymore. It's possible that he told the Iowa staff his decision last night.

We know more about a great many things than anybody else. Foster's future may not be one of them, but still......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT