ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Nwankpa breaks down his final 7 schools

Neighbor's daughter (no pics) was a National Merit finalist. Got a full ride to Florida plus stipend for her to travel back to Iowa for family visits three times a year. Florida was particularly aggressive in their efforts to get her to go there. She received no comparable attention from either U of Iowa or ISU. Her Dad is a devoted ISU alum. Stunning that neither U of Iowa nor ISU made any type of push to keep a home grown National Merit finalist in-state. Shameful. With the caveat that I am under no impression that anything that I wrote would compel a change in approach, I wrote what I considered to be a scathing letter to the Admissions Office at Iowa regarding the lack of effort to keep her in state. It is my understanding that my neighbor wrote to ISU expressing a similar level of disappointment and disbelief.

Personally, I cannot stand Ron DeSantis and his politics. But, giving credit where credit it due, there has been a concerted effort in Gainesville to raise the profile of that institution. The University of Florida is extremely aggressive with economic incentives to get high performing in-state students and out-of-state student. Kudos to the decision makers in Florida who recognize the importance of attracting top-rate talent to that state school.

I see no comparable effort by U of Iowa or ISU. Embarrassing.

EDIT: I think that an objective reading of the DMR article wouldn't leave anyone with the impression that Iowa is one of the leading candidates.
Interesting post, except I disagree with your take on Ron DeSantis as I wouldn’t mind seeing him be the next Republican presidential candidate. He would be better than old men Trump or Biden. Sorry about my political “rant”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clownhater
Iowa doesn't have a car dealership giving out $1,000,000 NIL. No way he ends up at Iowa. Thanks Jordan!!
I don't see this being an issue, do you think that all 5* guys are going to get that kind of money? Actually I think schools like Iowa/wisconsin could really work in to their own niche wherein people are really all about developing great lines and the NIL money will be there for those guys.

Good game for them to be at. I know it’s probably a long shot, but you never know.
247 had a nice article with reactions from prospects after the game. They seemed excited well beyond the usual "I really enjoyed my visit/it was a family atmosphere" stuff.

Proctor was quoted, but nothing from Nwankpa.

“(They) played a great game for us,” the No. 1 prospect in the state in five-star 2023 offensive tackle Kadyn Proctor said. “First time in Kinnick was wild and a fun ride.”

Idk if we are supposed to link to other sites, but the title is "Atmosphere at Kinnick Stadium blows away Iowa recruits."

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
That was my feeling from some months ago, he's obviously showing interest still, at least it appears to be the case.

How many visits did MRD make to Iowa? But he's at Auburn now.
Don’t close the door quite yet. Auburn is a mess right now and Harsin is almost certainly going to get run out of there. MRD might just be the next Myslinski type flip.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Don’t close the door quite yet. Auburn is a mess right now and Harsin is almost certainly going to get run out of there. MRD might just be the next Myslinski type flip.
I wouldn’t be opposed to that. I was surprised when he verbally committed to them. There’s always a chance, hopefully no bridges were burned in the process.

Uhhh what? Harsin has a career record of 77-24 and just mauled Akron 60-10 in his coaching debut at auburn. Obviously monumental difference between Akron and the SEC schedule, but idk how you can say he is "certainly" getting run out of Auburn.

Reactions: nu2u
Uhhh what? Harsin has a career record of 77-24 and just mauled Akron 60-10 in his coaching debut at auburn. Obviously monumental difference between Akron and the SEC schedule, but idk how you can say he is "certainly" getting run out of Auburn.

Its an internal politics thing at Auburn - he is a horrible fit there and almost no one there likes him. He hired a bad staff too. Also - the team (and him) is not vaccinated and down there while you would think people would by and large like that given the red state politics - it is viewed as a competitive disadvantage given the testing rules. On top of that he is viewed as not being a good recruiter there.

Give it a few weeks - Akron is a bottom 5 team in FBS. They’ll struggle to go much higher than 7-5 or 6-6, which Auburn people think they’re better than even with a year 1 coach.

Not to mention the best football team in the history of Iowa high school football. Nobody touches '93 City High.
Bettendorf beat them. Perhaps you meant the class of ‘94 during the 1993 season?

Last edited:
What’s going on? He’s only coached one game lol
Harsin has not made many friends in Auburn thus far. You can't really run a program like that in college football unless you're an established coach with a winning reputation, and he isn't that.

He has a very abrasive coaching style, hasn't gotten his team & himself vaccinated which has came off poorly given the forfeit rule, hired a questionable coaching staff, recruiting issues, etc.

Right now, Harsin at Auburn is looking like a bad hire. Winning cures all woes though.

I believe Xavier Nwankpa is a lot smarter than what some of you are giving him credit for... he's going to be a Hawkeye.

tonight SE Polk has a big game against Waukee
does anybody have a link for that game ?

I believe Xavier Nwankpa is a lot smarter than what some of you are giving him credit for... he's going to be a Hawkeye.

tonight SE Polk has a big game against Waukee
does anybody have a link for that game ?
Nwankpa and Proctor can be big time stars as Hawkeyes, one of the top 14 brands in college football according to the revenue rankings published in the Wall Street Journal and USA Today, discussed in other threads. Those rankings show the new reality in CFB - the B10 and SEC will dominate, and the b12 and other conferences just haven’t kept up and the gap will grow.

As Hawkeyes they can have big followings with NIL, not just one of 100 “big stars” at a place like Alabama or OSU or Clemson.

stars get made when stars get to PLAY right away, preferably all four years, and they will do that at Iowa, or at least until they take their NFL-level coaching and training at Iowa, and join the 50 or 60 other Hawkeyes currently in the League.

How many programs can get two guys at the same position drafted in the first round? There are only so many snaps for TEs, but Iowa’s development and coaching got Fant and Hock to the top simultaneously.

No program in the country develops talent better than Iowa. Many articles written about it over the years.

Iowa is Offensive Line U
Iowa is Defensive Back U

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT