ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Nwankpa?

Doing dumb shit the fans think of isn't the answer either.

Throwing X in for a handful of snaps at WR just to run a few fades or posts is gonna do nothing but tire him out a little bit since opposing DCs are gonna realize he's a DB playing WR, and thus focus all their coverage on the actual receiving threats.

As Buddy Ryan said, "if you listen to the fans, you'll be up there with them." This board proves that on a daily basis.
I only disagree with one thing, “is actual receiving threats” I am not seeing too many of those these days.

Right. So, let's put a defensive player in out wide who hasn't worked with the offense (like Brecht) and just hope for better.
I think you're trying too hard to dismiss the thought of someone potentially coming in for a few plays to augment a position of extreme weakness on the offense. It's not as if it's never been done before whereby an active DB with excellent ball skills was used as a receiver. You seem almost angry at the very thought of it.

My comment was actually in response to you saying we haven't really gone deep for lack of time. We went deep 3-4 times during the Nevada game.

Reactions: littlez
Its not going to happen so doesn't really matter.

Kirk has fully committed himself to being terrible on offense and trying to win with defense.

Iowa will have to score on d/st to beat any decent teams.

Thats what this season is. Accept it because nothing is going to change with this guy.

Man you are angry. What is wrong with trying something new or different when the offense is the worst in college football. I guess some people have way less than a half empty glass.
Because X is focused on becoming a great DB. You start messing around playing different positions , pretty soon you are slowing his progress on the defensive side of the ball.

LOL, thank you coach Warner for your brilliant insight.
X has been on the team like a few months. We all know with this highly complicated, specialized offensive scheme that it takes years to learn it. Kirk tells us that all of the time. So no X on O til maybe 2024.

Reactions: iahawks10
One thing for sure, these studs playing O a few plays here and there could certainly help the O. I mean, can it get worse?
As far as them being tired...... maybe we actually get a first down here and there. Lol
They might be less tired. 🤣

Reactions: littlez
Now that is a good and honest answer actually. But I would bet x would love to play on the other side some. I could be wrong though too 😧
You aren't wrong, he's a fing football player. I'm guessing half the D wants to play on O too.
They recognize the shit show. They all played both ways in high school. You know they aren't impressed with this crap. Especially the ones that were really good high school qb's and receivers.
Cooper got D1 QB offers.

No one plays for Parker until they are ready. His turn will come. Right now the guys playing are playing lights out- even Castro is ready and is hitting guys like Bob.

Reactions: Ree4
Its not going to happen so doesn't really matter.

Kirk has fully committed himself to being terrible on offense and trying to win with defense.

Iowa will have to score on d/st to beat any decent teams.

Thats what this season is. Accept it because nothing is going to change with this guy.
If Kirk would do what he does, let Phil run the D which he does. Hire a brilliant O coordinator and let him make all the decisions, Iowa could actually be a playoff threat. Kirk is so good at many things of building a team but he can't let the offense go. I'll guarantee you he doesn't mess with special teams or D.
Kirk needs to stay completely out of the offensive side of the game.
We literally could have a shot at a national championship occasionally.
The team discipline, the character of the team, top 5 lowest penalties year after year.
The offense is the only part of the puzzle consistently missing.
He's Saban with no offense.

I think if you played him at a wide receiver position where it was fly pattern, deep post, or a simple comeback pattern, they he could handle it.

You do this kind of stuff when it is really necessary.

And someone posted that he played wide receiver in high school so he has had coaching and practice on how to release from the LOS, which feet to cut of off, and how to position his hands to catch a ball
and will he know how to read the defense and adjust his route if they change their coverage?

Of course X is playing behind what maybe the best defensive backfield in the country so clearly he will transfer, rather than learn study and play some early in season. That's kind of the PP way. X will start in KM's safety spot next season, and he will be a star. Think of TJ, CDJ and the X Man all in the backfield-and Schulte is far from a dog thus far. That's a very fast, talented and brutal hitting backfield.

If X has hands and speed, he certainly could learn a route or two.
Nothing permanent tho.
But who are we kidding, Petras ain't throwing it to you unless your last name starts with La and ends with porta

Aren't defensive backs playmakers? I would like to see a limited usage of both X and CDJ on a few offensive sets. That would probably help recruiting and it would be cool to have a couple of 3 way players cuz X can return punts and kicks. Plus a three way player would garner a shit ton of good PR on social media and earned legacy media so people would know about it.

However, both guys know they are going to get drafted or signed by an NFL team on the strength of their defensive skills so they may not want to add offense to special teams and defense.

Maybe he doesn't want to play Wr. If he wants to play in the NFL, db is his path.
What do you mean? College football is just like playing Madden and if you just throw him in there he will dominate from the get go because he is a 5 star recruit. No training or development needed. And if KF or BF (aka Dumb and Dumber to Kurt Warner) had any clue - which they don't despite what their record and actual verifiable facts say - they would immediately start playing him and moving him around to every Offensive skill position on his way to a late season Heisman run.

Nwankpa literally has played more snaps than any other freshman per the Tracker. They are using him the way he should be used
Great post!

Some of the numb-nuts here don't understand football. Nwankpa is developing at DB ... and learning to play at the speed of collegiate ball through special teams first.

Cooper DeJean ... he didn't really start playing more last season until toward the end of the season when our depth in the secondary was hurting too much. Nwankpa has been playing since game ONE.

What I wonder is if Phil has been giving him work at CB ... to help bolster our depth there.

Anyhow, as soon as X becomes increasingly more consistent at positional play ... that's when we'll start seeing him rotate in more for positional action. I trust Phil completely to ultimately help "get him there" ... because I also trust that X will put in the work on his end.

This is NOT a situation where I have any concerns.

Also ... for the fans who think that X should be seeing snaps at WR ... take your complaints up with Phil. That one is Phil's call ... and I'm willing to stake money on Phil not wanting anything that will disrupt X's development at DB. You see ... Phil has the best interest of his guys in mind when he makes these sorts of decisions.

Ah yes, we’re at the point of “play RANDOM PLAYER at WR” now, as if it’s just plug and play.
It pretty much is at most places--like Purdue. Think Charlie Jones.

And way back in the day, as I've mentioned before, Hayden Fry took a kid off the Iowa track team who hadn't played football since high school. He joined the Hawkeye football team on a Monday during the season and caught a long TD pass the next Saturday. He raced down the west sideline, caught the ball in stride, and kept on running to the end zone. Turns out it wasn't so difficult. Plug and play.

I've played and coached quite a bit of football, and it just ain't that hard. KF just likes to make it sound that way. A week is plenty of time to coach up a 5-star athlete like X. Fry did it with a track guy--in a week. And you can look that up.

BTW: LeVar Woods said last week the staff is looking for ways to get X on the field more often. If it's not as a WR, a position of need, then where? Why would Woods even say that? What other options are there--left guard? Maybe QB?

Last edited:
Well...if Sebastian Castro played poorly last night I believe it was likely that you would see X in the game at cash. Castro looked like a veteran. He is like a missile against the running game. I was really impressed with him...had a nice break up of a pass over the middle and always seemed to be in great position.

Really happy for him...for he waited his turn and executed when he got the chance. It allows us to get one more athlete with some size on the field too. So, if Roberts is hurt for a long period or someone else goes down...we can plug and play Castro.
Castro looks like the real deal….we have quality depth in defense

Well he is smart enough to run a sprint fly pattern and at least stretch the defense and I am sure he is really good at high pointing and catching a ball.

If he is fast then do it unless the coaches and he will do a less that 5 game redshirt
We want more high pointers.

And way back in the day, as I've mentioned before, Hayden Fry took a kid off the Iowa track team who hadn't played football since high school. He joined the Hawkeye football team on a Monday during the season and caught a long TD pass the next Saturday. He raced down the west sideline, caught the ball in stride, and kept on running to the end zone. Turns out it wasn't so difficult. Plug and play.

I've played and coached quite a bit of football, and it just ain't that hard. KF just likes to make it sound that way. A week is plenty of time to coach up a 5-star athlete like X. Fry did it with a track guy. And you can look that up.
compare Purdue’s record to Iowas the last 10 years then explain why we should emulate them ….. I’ll hang up and listen

compare Purdue’s record to Iowas the last 10 years then explain why we should emulate them ….. I’ll hang up and listen
Who said anything about records over the last 10 years except you? We're talking about Iowa, owner of the nation's WORST OFFENSE, and PURDUE, annually one of the best offenses in the country. We're talking about Iowa, a team that his few WRs of any repute, and Purdue, where two former Iowa wide receivers are thriving, especially Charlie Jones, a young man who wanted to stay in Iowa City but who was forced to take up residence in West Lafayette if he wanted a shot at catching passes. And he's doing that at a pretty good pace as one of the country's top receivers right now, over 40 catches, 500 yards, and 7 TDs in four games. Compare those stats with the entire WR group in Iowa City. You really can't, can you . . .

At least you got the last part right: you would do well to listen more and post less.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman

I've played and coached quite a bit of football, and it just ain't that hard. KF just likes to make it sound that way. A week is plenty of time to coach up a 5-star athlete like X. Fry did it with a track guy--in a week. And you can look that up.

BTW: LeVar Woods said last week the staff is looking for ways to get X on the field more often. If it's not as a WR, a position of need, then where? Why would Woods even say that? What other options are there--left guard? Maybe QB?
Back in those days teams didn’t have the last 5 seasons worth of film at their fingertips, and players could fall under the radar far too easily in recruiting.

I too have played and coached a lot of college football, and it’s not that simple.

Reactions: owenhawk

Charlie Jones? The career WR that has been playing WR his entire college career? That's not a random player.

Reactions: owenhawk
Who said anything about records over the last 10 years except you? We're talking about Iowa, owner of the nation's WORST OFFENSE, and PURDUE, annually one of the best offenses in the country. We're talking about Iowa, a team that his few WRs of any repute, and Purdue, where two former Iowa wide receivers are thriving, especially Charlie Jones, a young man who wanted to stay in Iowa City but who was forced to take up residence in West Lafayette if he wanted a shot at catching passes. And he's doing that at a pretty good pace as one of the country's top receivers right now, over 40 catches, 500 yards, and 7 TDs in four games. Compare those stats with the entire WR group in Iowa City. You really can't, can you . . .

At least you got the last part right: you would do well to listen more and post less.
ohhh silly me I thought the goal was winning games……. so sorry

Um, yes, it is. It's like telling any stranger to the offense to line up wide and execute an assigned play. Do you think he has any understanding or knowledge of Iowa's offense by designated play call?
This is not rocket science. It's ridiculous to think competent coaches can't coach up a talented HS receiver to run a few plays in key situations. To claim otherwise is to admit to the lack of creativity, innovation, and competency of the coaching staff.

And how much would half an hour a day at WR slow his development as a DB? Virtually, non at all.

Have you coached in College Football at P5 level? Do you really believe it is as simple as "plug and play"?

I have coached a lot of baseball at youth level and played college baseball yet I don't think I have near the knowledge of Coach Heller and that I can step in and do his job easily. Maybe you should apply to some of the D1 HC jobs that will be opening up like Nebraska.

Charlie Jones?

Reactions: cmhawks99
This is not rocket science. It's ridiculous to think competent coaches can't coach up a talented HS receiver to run a few plays in key situations. To claim otherwise is to admit to the lack of creativity, innovation, and competency of the coaching staff.

And how much would half an hour a day at WR slow his development as a DB? Virtually, non at all.
X is at Iowa to be a DB. That is what he was recruited as at a national level and I am sure the discussion for when he was coming to Iowa was that we are going to do everything in our power to make you an NFL 1st Round pick as a DB by the time you leave Iowa.

And I am sure PP has a lot to say about what X does and how he does it. Don't you think a huge selling point to recruits - one of the big recruiting advantages Iowa can actually point to - is that they are a great Developmental program, especially at a position like DB where PP is probably the best in the nation at coaching that unit?

It's ridiculous that you think that the coaches are just going to throw him out there randomly and risk his development and injury because he was a big-time recruit. Guess what - most of these guys playing high D1 football played both sides of the ball in HS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT