ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Nwankpa?

I think it is highly likely he is on pace to see the field as a regular player in some capacity next year. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Defensive Backfield next year. We know Moss and Merriweather will be gone but will have Harris back and is that correct Roberts could come back if he wants to with his Covid year?

If he did come back, that means you have - once again - a plethora of options with talent and experience with DeJean, Schulte, Roberts, Harris, Castro (who has looked good when out there this year) and adding two highly-talented guys in X and Hall into the mix.
Not sure on Harris. Hard to see X and Hall not getting major time next year.

Reactions: owenhawk
If dumb and dumber had a clue they would get him in the offense somehow. If he's a playmaker get him on the field. I know that would be to sexy
A agree with Kirt Warner - put great athletes on the field and good things will happen. Having KF-BF coach ‘em up, not a good idea.

Right. So, let's put a defensive player in out wide who hasn't worked with the offense (like Brecht) and just hope for better.
Fine. Maybe see what Ostrenga can do split out wide then. He spent his high school career split out wide and has been practicing with the offense since he arrived. He looked great catching the ball in the fall.

AllenTrieu

Allen TrieuNATIONAL RECRUITING ANALYST

PROJECTION​

Power-5 Starter

COMPARISON​

Daniel Helm OAKLAND RAIDERS

Played split out in high school and showed the ability to run routes and catch the ball like a receiver. Looked a little bit faster and more sudden as a senior. Showed run after the catch ability and acceleration and also got stronger, was showed up in his blocking. Will have to adjust to playing on the ball and we assume with his hand down more although he is going to be able to continue to split out and stand up in the slot if a school needs hi, to. Former baseball commit who shows athleticism, coordination and has good upside as a tight end prospect. Has some weight room work to do but ceiling is high.

question for you… My Lord I can’t believe I let you guys keep sucking me in here…

anyWho if Fry was such a genius with all his situational players why didn’t he have a better record against the elite teams he played and why did he have so many games where they scored 10 points or less?

Just confused is all…
Its pointless cmhawk. I've tried for months to get this clown to stop posting all this made up crap about high scoring Hayden, and what he supposedly did against GOOD teams. No one listens or responds , (because there is NO response to make). The facts are out there, and all they have to do is look it up. Of course since the facts don't back this shit up, we get this never ending babble about how Iowa used to score at will against all these good teams. TOTALLY false of course, but since it doesn't fit the narrative its ignored, and instead the ongoing attempt to baffle us with bullshit. .

Reactions: cmhawks99
Practice? One can only wonder what the brain trust is cooking up over there in the laboratories right now.

My fear is this is one of those games where they think they are geniuses and want to show fans that they are wrong. I really think that KF thought he could sneak this team through to 3-0 in the normal ugly fashion and be ranked vs Michigan with a chance to shock the world and shut up the fans. Unfortunately that didn’t happen. Now he’s got BF over there with some beakers and tape trying to devise a plan to get to 17 and hold on for dear life.

Disagree 100%. Playing both positions provides perspective and depth of understanding offenses. Again, it’s not about the Xs and Os, it’s about the Jimmies and Joes.

That shouldn’t be up to the player, and his coaching staff?

Practice? One can only wonder what the brain trust is cooking up over there in the laboratories right now.

My fear is this is one of those games where they think they are geniuses and want to show fans that they are wrong. I really think that KF thought he could sneak this team through to 3-0 in the normal ugly fashion and be ranked vs Michigan with a chance to shock the world and shut up the fans. Unfortunately that didn’t happen. Now he’s got BF over there with some beakers and tape trying to devise a plan to get to 17 and hold on for dear life.

Remarkably disrespectful for a 23 year tenured coach who quite frankly has even more success at the end of his career than he did when he started… Odd stuff how you guys articulate things. Does anybody treat you like that in your life?

Reactions: owenhawk
The game was way way different when Hayden took over the Iowa job. You're correct about Snyder, he was so innovative and creative, as evidenced by what he did at K-State w/all the different ways he used QB's there. He went from pocket Qb's like Chad May to dual threat Qb's like Michael Bishop. Harmon his Sr Year ran for over 1100 yards and caught 49 passes for almost 600 yards. So yes, we were pretty innovative over the years. I don't think it's wrong to believe that a 3rd year starting QB and an offensive coordinator who's been around football his whole career can't design an offense to get a running back or wide receiver the ball in space 4-5 times a game. Petras had his best game. Credit where credit is due. However, objectively, is he anywhere near where you thought he would be 3 years ago when he started his first game or anywhere near he should be at this point in his career? These are golden days of Iowa defenses. This defense has 4-5 guys who will be not just pros, but really good ones. It's not wrong to expect better from our offense.
I don't disagree that it's fine to expect more from the offense. The offense has been just plain bad the last 2 years, and marginally better than that in previous years.

Snyder is arguably the best football coach not named Saban in the last 30-40 years in college FB. And I'm not certain Saban could have done what Snyder did at K-State. What Snyder did at K-State is one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen.

To Iowa, I'm not sure if it's just lack of talent on the offensive side or scheme that is the issue. If I were to guess, it's probably both.

Remarkably disrespectful for a 23 year tenured coach who quite frankly has even more success at the end of his career than he did when he started… Odd stuff how you guys articulate things. Does anybody treat you like that in your life?
I continue to be amazed that people think KF and his staff create gameplans specifically to thumb their noses at fans. Does anyone really believe this? They want to win just like anyone else would. He (KF) probably does think the best way to win this Saturday is to be opportunistic on offense and not put the defense in bad positions. Given the limitations that Iowa has on offense, it's probably the only path to victory.

I continue to be amazed that people think KF and his staff create gameplans specifically to thumb their noses at fans. Does anyone really believe this? They want to win just like anyone else would. He (KF) probably does think the best way to win this Saturday is to be opportunistic on offense and not put the defense in bad positions. Given the limitations that Iowa has on offense, it's probably the only path to victory.
I'm always amazed that people actually come on here and post that our HC coach does anything because he's directing it as an FU at the fans. Like he actually is taking their feelings into the thought process. Its the height of narcissism to even think that......(The fans, not KF).....

The hawk defense isn’t some super complex equation particularly relative to other power 5 systems. One of its strengths is how simple it is. Consistent. They do what they do and do it well. There arent many opponent specific schemes implemented weekly that aren’t the base 4/2/5 or 4/3/3. The biggest change was adding the cash cornerback which is what we play a majority of the time.

I know every fan base has ridiculous fans but I continue to be amazed by the pure ignorance of some or Iowa's fanbase.

You are correct about that. And if I remember we were not strong at QB any of those years which really held us back. Believe Sherman was the QB at least the final 2 years.
Yeah, he was not good. I don't understand why Fry just didn't pull a great athlete from the track team to play QB and run Wildcat with Dwight and Banks in the backfield. Would have been unstoppable and a National Championship.

It pretty much is at most places--like Purdue. Think Charlie Jones.

And way back in the day, as I've mentioned before, Hayden Fry took a kid off the Iowa track team who hadn't played football since high school. He joined the Hawkeye football team on a Monday during the season and caught a long TD pass the next Saturday. He raced down the west sideline, caught the ball in stride, and kept on running to the end zone. Turns out it wasn't so difficult. Plug and play.

I've played and coached quite a bit of football, and it just ain't that hard. KF just likes to make it sound that way. A week is plenty of time to coach up a 5-star athlete like X. Fry did it with a track guy--in a week. And you can look that up.

BTW: LeVar Woods said last week the staff is looking for ways to get X on the field more often. If it's not as a WR, a position of need, then where? Why would Woods even say that? What other options are there--left guard? Maybe QB?
Spot on. Kirk excells at managing the program, recruiting, character of the team, etc...
He's freaking horible at offense. You think he told Norm or tells Phil how to run the D?
Nope.
His fingerprints are all over the O year after year.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT