ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Nwankpa?

It pretty much is at most places--like Purdue. Think Charlie Jones.

And way back in the day, as I've mentioned before, Hayden Fry took a kid off the Iowa track team who hadn't played football since high school. He joined the Hawkeye football team on a Monday during the season and caught a long TD pass the next Saturday. He raced down the west sideline, caught the ball in stride, and kept on running to the end zone. Turns out it wasn't so difficult. Plug and play.

I've played and coached quite a bit of football, and it just ain't that hard. KF just likes to make it sound that way. A week is plenty of time to coach up a 5-star athlete like X. Fry did it with a track guy--in a week. And you can look that up.

BTW: LeVar Woods said last week the staff is looking for ways to get X on the field more often. If it's not as a WR, a position of need, then where? Why would Woods even say that? What other options are there--left guard? Maybe QB?

question for you… My Lord I can’t believe I let you guys keep sucking me in here…

anyWho if Fry was such a genius with all his situational players why didn’t he have a better record against the elite teams he played and why did he have so many games where they scored 10 points or less?

Just confused is all…

Who said anything about records over the last 10 years except you? We're talking about Iowa, owner of the nation's WORST OFFENSE, and PURDUE, annually one of the best offenses in the country. We're talking about Iowa, a team that his few WRs of any repute, and Purdue, where two former Iowa wide receivers are thriving, especially Charlie Jones, a young man who wanted to stay in Iowa City but who was forced to take up residence in West Lafayette if he wanted a shot at catching passes. And he's doing that at a pretty good pace as one of the country's top receivers right now, over 40 catches, 500 yards, and 7 TDs in four games. Compare those stats with the entire WR group in Iowa City. You really can't, can you . . .

At least you got the last part right: you would do well to listen more and post less.

Your probably aware then that Purdue scored 13 points in 4 of 5 games mid season, right?

I wonder if they grabbed any players from the D or track team?

You should check with them…

Reactions: Ree4 and owenhawk
This is not rocket science. It's ridiculous to think competent coaches can't coach up a talented HS receiver to run a few plays in key situations. To claim otherwise is to admit to the lack of creativity, innovation, and competency of the coaching staff.

And how much would half an hour a day at WR slow his development as a DB? Virtually, non at all.

Friend your one of those cats that, if you told me the sky was blue I’d get a couple of extra opinions. Your way out on the edge of someone I’d trust !

Nwankpa, Hall or Hilson should be moved to WR for the rest of this season if KJ is being shut down.

Other teams have moved players to WR in emergency situations. Not ideal, but can be done.

Alec Wick and Jack Johnson just don’t have the ability to get open and make tough catches versus any top level Power Five defensive backs.

Maybe he doesn't want to play Wr. If he wants to play in the NFL, db is his path.
Well, since he's not seeing the field as a DB right now - put him in on offense.

Since when do guys get a CHOICE what and where they play? And any superior athlete at this level would be HAPPY to see snaps and confident on either side.

I looked at PFF and X has played a total of 6 snaps so far this year outside of special teams. Is that not correct?
That may be correct, I am looking at the true freshman tracker and it just says 4 games and 64 snaps. He has still played more than any of the the true freshman. Based on the history of Iowa special teams, you start there and then eventually move into a starting role somewhere for the defense. That is what I would anticipate for Nwankpa.

That may be correct, I am looking at the true freshman tracker and it just says 4 games and 64 snaps. He has still played more than any of the the true freshman. Based on the history of Iowa special teams, you start there and then eventually move into a starting role somewhere for the defense. That is what I would anticipate for Nwankpa.
That's probably correct then. Lots of punt coverage 😊

• Haha
Reactions: briggshawk
Also, I see this referenced a lot here, just because you are the best athlete on your HS team and they play you at WR does not ensure success at the college level. I cannot imagine that at some point along the way they didn't evaluate his hands, route running, position preferences...........

Reactions: owenhawk
He is not a random player. He is a five star athlete with very good catching skills. Watch some of his high school film, he can high point a football and has great wheels. For that matter, Dejean's interception last night was the best catch made by the team this year. Using top athletes to improve our WR speed might help.

I remember Hayden using guys off the track team for a few plays each game. It stretched the field.
I can only imagine the meltdown this board would have if Kirk tried that 😂🤣

If he is on punt tean he will definitlely earn his letter this year.

If he is on punt tean he will definitlely earn his letter this year.
Right! Also on the silver lining side of things, we'd be witnessing far fewer spectacular Tory Taylor punts and his legendary status would be a fraction of what it is today if we had an effective offense. :)

Reactions: cmhawks99
Right! Also on the silver lining side of things, we'd be witnessing far fewer spectacular Tory Taylor punts and his legendary status would be a fraction of what it is today if we had an effective offense. :)

THAT is indeed funny and sadly true!

And way back in the day, as I've mentioned before, Hayden Fry took a kid off the Iowa track team who hadn't played football since high school. He joined the Hawkeye football team on a Monday during the season and caught a long TD pass the next Saturday. He raced down the west sideline, caught the ball in stride, and kept on running to the end zone. Turns out it wasn't so difficult. Plug and play.

I've played and coached quite a bit of football, and it just ain't that hard. KF just likes to make it sound that way. A week is plenty of time to coach up a 5-star athlete like X. Fry did it with a track guy--in a week. And you can look that up.

BTW: LeVar Woods said last week the staff is looking for ways to get X on the field more often. If it's not as a WR, a position of need, then where? Why would Woods even say that? What other options are there--left guard? Maybe QB?
Not true dude ... the WRs still have to learn how to read the Ds, know their hot reads, and know where the QB expects them to be based upon their reads.

Given that X is trying to get down Iowa's D ... he already has more than enough on his plate. You're clueless if you don't appreciate how detail-oriented Phil Parker is. If a guy doesn't get down the details ... and then execute with consistency ... then the dude doesn't play ... PERIOD.

Phil is not so dumb to do anything that would undermine the development of X. If he did ... then we'd never see a skilled 5-star guy ever go to Iowa again. I trust Phil to not screw this up.

Not true dude ... the WRs still have to learn how to read the Ds, know their hot reads, and know where the QB expects them to be based upon their reads.

Given that X is trying to get down Iowa's D ... he already has more than enough on his plate. You're clueless if you don't appreciate how detail-oriented Phil Parker is. If a guy doesn't get down the details ... and then execute with consistency ... then the dude doesn't play ... PERIOD.

Phil is not so dumb to do anything that would undermine the development of X. If he did ... then we'd never see a skilled 5-star guy ever go to Iowa again. I trust Phil to not screw this up.

DEAD on!! It’s also why for the first time maybe ever our D-backs, from their first start are walking onto the field ready to go!

This defense is deeeeep and when X steps on the field, 9th game this year or 5th next year he’ll be ready to go!

Weve always had really good D-backs but there has been a learning curve. But due to our recruiting and being able to retain guys, these fellas are stepping on the field ready to rock!!

The track guy Hayden put in for a long TD pass versus Indiana (Homecoming game of 1981) was also named Charlie Jones.

question for you… My Lord I can’t believe I let you guys keep sucking me in here…

anyWho if Fry was such a genius with all his situational players why didn’t he have a better record against the elite teams he played and why did he have so many games where they scored 10 points or less?

Just confused is all…
Hayden was a much better Offensive coach than our $7 million genius, Used Ronnie Harmon as a WR in 1982 very successfully and then a RB after that. I know some think Harmon pooped the Rose Bowl. But he was a 4 year talent!

Nwankpa, Hall or Hilson should be moved to WR for the rest of this season if KJ is being shut down.

Other teams have moved players to WR in emergency situations. Not ideal, but can be done.

Alec Wick and Jack Johnson just don’t have the ability to get open and make tough catches versus any top level Power Five defensive backs.
Maybe Hilson ... but definitely not Hall. You're clearly not aware of how tenuously thin we're currently at as it relates to the cornerback position.

With Harris out for the season ... and with Terry already dinged early in the season ... we're having to have DeJean play CB ... when it's more ideal to have him at CASH for us.

Hayden was a much better Offensive coach than our $7 million genius, Used Ronnie Harmon as a WR in 1982 very successfully and then a RB after that. I know some think Harmon pooped the Rose Bowl. But he was a 4 year talent!

So, again…. Who had more games where his team scored 10 points or less? Hayden in 20 years or Kirk in 23?

Yeah, I wish we'd go for actual receivers in the portal than these random walk ons too. He's not a receiver but I don't see why we don't get him some snaps at safety or let him return a kick when the game is in hand. If DeJean or Merriweather would have gotten injured last night when game was over it woulda been a big problem
I believe the X-man played some wide receiver in high school at SE Polk.

i assume you are talking about bashir yamini. per internets he caught 1TD pass for iowa in his career and that td came in his third year as wr. it wasn’t a overnight story.

Reactions: 2bagger22
Maybe Hilson ... but definitely not Hall. You're clearly not aware of how tenuously thin we're currently at as it relates to the cornerback position.

With Harris out for the season ... and with Terry already dinged early in the season ... we're having to have DeJean play CB ... when it's more ideal to have him at CASH for us.
Correct. Iowa is an injury to Moss or Dejean away from having TJ Hall, a true freshman, having to play corner full time. Dejean is versatile enough he can play a good CB, but safety/Cash is his best position in the future. There he is closer to the ball and you can use him to blitz, run fits, etc.

It's highly likely that Hall does have to play CB at some point this year. If even for a series or part of a game when Moss or DeJean gets dinged up.

So, again…. Who had more games where his team scored 10 points or less? Hayden in 20 years or Kirk in 23?
Be careful, CM, you are going to roil the troops here. I know the answer to this question as you've shared the information before for those that care to look at it. We have been so fortunate to have Hayden and KF back to back here at Iowa. Both had their weak points, but man, both of them also had a lot of great attributes and thank goodness they ended up here.

The Iowa offense in the mid-1980s when Snyder was still here and they had skill position talent like Long, Hartlieb, Harmon (both brothers), Early, Cook, the other TE's, the other good WR's and the great OL was great to behold. Fans tend to think that was the offense during Hayden's entire tenure. Not correct. I'll leave it at that.

i assume you are talking about bashir yamini. per internets he caught 1TD pass for iowa in his career and that td came in his third year as wr. it wasn’t a overnight story.
Bashir was not a natural receiver. He was a long jumper and was very fast but didn't have the best hands at first. Did play a few seasons in the league, though.

Be careful, CM, you are going to roil the troops here. I know the answer to this question as you've shared the information before for those that care to look at it. We have been so fortunate to have Hayden and KF back to back here at Iowa. Both had their weak points, but man, both of them also had a lot of great attributes and thank goodness they ended up here.

The Iowa offense in the mid-1980s when Snyder was still here and they had skill position talent like Long, Hartlieb, Harmon (both brothers), Early, Cook, the other TE's, the other good WR's and the great OL was great to behold. Fans tend to think that was the offense during Hayden's entire tenure. Not correct. I'll leave it at that.
The game was way way different when Hayden took over the Iowa job. You're correct about Snyder, he was so innovative and creative, as evidenced by what he did at K-State w/all the different ways he used QB's there. He went from pocket Qb's like Chad May to dual threat Qb's like Michael Bishop. Harmon his Sr Year ran for over 1100 yards and caught 49 passes for almost 600 yards. So yes, we were pretty innovative over the years. I don't think it's wrong to believe that a 3rd year starting QB and an offensive coordinator who's been around football his whole career can't design an offense to get a running back or wide receiver the ball in space 4-5 times a game. Petras had his best game. Credit where credit is due. However, objectively, is he anywhere near where you thought he would be 3 years ago when he started his first game or anywhere near he should be at this point in his career? These are golden days of Iowa defenses. This defense has 4-5 guys who will be not just pros, but really good ones. It's not wrong to expect better from our offense.

Reactions: Macbride79
I think it is highly likely he is on pace to see the field as a regular player in some capacity next year. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Defensive Backfield next year. We know Moss and Merriweather will be gone but will have Harris back and is that correct Roberts could come back if he wants to with his Covid year?

If he did come back, that means you have - once again - a plethora of options with talent and experience with DeJean, Schulte, Roberts, Harris, Castro (who has looked good when out there this year) and adding two highly-talented guys in X and Hall into the mix.

Your probably aware then that Purdue scored 13 points in 4 of 5 games mid season, right?

I wonder if they grabbed any players from the D or track team?

You should check with them…
They should have just got the whole 4x100 team on board on a Monday and they could have practiced for a few days and been ready for a Saturday game and blew by defenders for a handful of TD's on long bombs.

Also, I see this referenced a lot here, just because you are the best athlete on your HS team and they play you at WR does not ensure success at the college level. I cannot imagine that at some point along the way they didn't evaluate his hands, route running, position preferences...........
I am pretty sure the crew that keeps acting like it would be so easy not only didn't play college athletics, but likely didn't play in HS and their athletic careers ended somewhere around the end of elementary school.

Almost all of the guys playing this level of D1 football are superior athletes and were easily the best athletes in their schools.

This is the perfect post and should stop anymore ridiculous comments around this idea.

If you listen to any of the previous DB's talk about PP, they all say exactly this. PP excepts perfection in the details from his guys - which is why they have continuously great units - and just being a "great athlete" doesn't mean you see the field. It is also the exact reason Schulte is starting at FS. He is not the "best" athlete but he completely understands where he is supposed to be, the right coverages based on formations, the details, and the calls to be made. He likely will have the FS locked down through graduation because PP will trust him completely.

Reactions: Ree4
You don't think Fry would also be making $7 million if he was coaching now? You understand the economics were different 25+ years ago?

I am not sure what Harmon pooping has to do with anything?

This is the perfect post and should stop anymore ridiculous comments around this idea.

If you listen to any of the previous DB's talk about PP, they all say exactly this. PP excepts perfection in the details from his guys - which is why they have continuously great units - and just being a "great athlete" doesn't mean you see the field. It is also the exact reason Schulte is starting at FS. He is not the "best" athlete but he completely understands where he is supposed to be, the right coverages based on formations, the details, and the calls to be made. He likely will have the FS locked down through graduation because PP will trust him completely.

Agreed, although I’d wager he is a much better athlete than people assume!

I love Hayden as much as anyone and appreciate what he did and accomplished. But it is very similar to the Dr. Tom and Fran comparison. I grew up as a Hawkeye fan during their heyday but there is still quite a few fans that seem to think that Fry and Dr. Tom were some sort of gods that were far superior coaches to KF and Fran.

Reactions: pistachio1999
The game was way way different when Hayden took over the Iowa job. You're correct about Snyder, he was so innovative and creative, as evidenced by what he did at K-State w/all the different ways he used QB's there. He went from pocket Qb's like Chad May to dual threat Qb's like Michael Bishop. Harmon his Sr Year ran for over 1100 yards and caught 49 passes for almost 600 yards. So yes, we were pretty innovative over the years. I don't think it's wrong to believe that a 3rd year starting QB and an offensive coordinator who's been around football his whole career can't design an offense to get a running back or wide receiver the ball in space 4-5 times a game. Petras had his best game. Credit where credit is due. However, objectively, is he anywhere near where you thought he would be 3 years ago when he started his first game or anywhere near he should be at this point in his career? These are golden days of Iowa defenses. This defense has 4-5 guys who will be not just pros, but really good ones. It's not wrong to expect better from our offense.
I get what you are saying but going back to Fry, he had literally two of the most explosive offensive talents Iowa has ever had in Dwight and Banks and finished a pedestrian 29-17 over their career.

Think of the outrage KF/BF would receive to have two generational talents at once like that and to be an average 7-5 team! Hell, Iowa has won at a 75% clip the last 5 years and a portion of this fan base wants KF run out of town right now.

When the offense is on the field, Phil and the other coaches are teaching on the sideline. We want Nwampka and Hall hearing those conversations. It is invaluable training.

I get what you are saying but going back to Fry, he had literally two of the most explosive offensive talents Iowa has ever had in Dwight and Banks and finished a pedestrian 29-17 over their career.

Think of the outrage KF/BF would receive to have two generational talents at once like that and to be an average 7-5 team! Hell, Iowa has won at a 75% clip the last 5 years and a portion of this fan base wants KF run out of town right now.
You are correct about that. And if I remember we were not strong at QB any of those years which really held us back. Believe Sherman was the QB at least the final 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT