ADVERTISEMENT

Yaaay!!! New flu record!!!

I wonder if this has much to do with the amount of people getting tested for COVID.

Before COVID, if I got the flu I got the flu and that was it without a thought of even seeing a doctor about it.

Now, I'm likely going in to get tested for COVID, which results in a positive flu test.

Disclaimer: This is not me downplaying the impact of this year's flu numbers or discrediting the data in the tweets. This is just me wondering if some, or much, of this is due to more people being tested that would have previously just ridden it out at home for a few days.

Last edited:
Get the flu shot every year due to work. And, I'll say in 20 years I had the flu once when the strain I had wasn't included in the shot I received that year. I asked why all strains aren't included and don't recall the answer... just know that they aren't for some reason. Anyway, never had side effects and I'd say it's been effective.

Posts like the OP are just fear mongering.

1. Influenza has not changed. If you are at high risk of getting severely ill, wear a mask. They work, as evidenced by the current increase in flu.

2. 65+ are the most affected by Influenza. If you fall in that age group, wear a mask and don't stand by people who are coughing.

3. There are a lot of positive tests, most of these are due to people getting tested because they are worried about covid. In past years, they would have continued going to work.

4. Everyone being admitted to the hospital is likely getting a covid test and most are getting an influenza test. This is falsely showing higher rates of influenza hospitalizations.

5. Your body develops some immunity after an influenza infection. So this is equivalent to getting the vaccine.

I am guessing we have a really high influenza rate now, but I think it will taper off in a month and this year will end up not as bad as 2017/18.
Edit: we will have higher numbers of influenza tests and flu hospitalizations, but deaths will be the same or lower than average.

Last edited:
Get the flu shot every year due to work. And, I'll say in 20 years I had the flu once when the strain I had wasn't included in the shot I received that year. I asked why all strains aren't included and don't recall the answer... just know that they aren't for some reason. Anyway, never had side effects and I'd say it's been effective.

Some strains emerge after production of the flu shot for that year

• Wow
Reactions: FranIsNotAGoodCoach
There are 131 subtypes of influenza. It is unnecessary to vaccinate for all types.

They vaccinate for the types that are predicted to be most prevalent that year.

I wonder if this has much to do with the amount of people getting tested for COVID.

Before COVID, if I got the flu I got the flu and that was it without a thought of even seeing a doctor about it.

Now, I'm likely going in to get tested for COVID, which results in a positive flu test.

Disclaimer: This is not me downplaying the impact of this year's flu numbers or discrediting the data in the tweets. This is just me wondering if some, or much, of this is due to more people being tested that would have previously just ridden it out at home for a few days.
I'm sure that is a large part of it.

Reactions: Finance85
It's almost as if distancing, masks, and improved sanitary awareness reduced the spread the last few years.

The “hygiene theatre” did nothing to help.

The socially and economically unsustainable measures did temporarily reduce flu numbers, but weakened our immune systems, damaged our economy, and set our children’s social and academic education backwards permanently. But, hey, flu was down for a couple seasons!

Now it's correct. You are welcome.
giphy.gif

There are 131 subtypes of influenza. It is unnecessary to vaccinate for all types.

They vaccinate for the types that are predicted to be most prevalent that year.
Well apparently 'they' did a sh!tty job predicting this year and should all become meteorologists.

Well apparently 'they' did a sh!tty job predicting this year and should all become meteorologists.
Nope

But people have to GET the vaccine. And we all know how half of Americans feel about "vaccines" nowadays. Gonna mean more dead MAGAs this year...but at least they'll Own The Libs!

This is only partly true

Vaccinations provide you a consistent level of protection; depending on your exposure to actual flu (your viral inoculum), your level of actual protection may vary.
Same for the vaccine. The vaccine only reduces the risk of flu illness by 40-60% during seasons that are well matched to the ones used to make the vaccine.

Needless to say, there is reason to question how necessary it is for anyone outside the at risk population.

Same for the vaccine. The vaccine only reduces the risk of flu illness by 40-60% during seasons that are well matched to the ones used to make the vaccine.
Generally, even in less-matched seasons, it reduces the severity of the illness people have, if they get exposed.

Which is another reason the vaccines are very useful/effective: they can shorten the duration of infectiousness for those who are exposed, and thus lower the R0 rate of spread.

This suppression will have a wide range of consequences, not the least of which include the reactivation of latent viral infections and the reduced ability to effectively combat future infections.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35436552/

WOW...CHECK OUT those author affiliations!!!!

I see ZERO actual immunologists and experts in the field here:

• Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA, 02139. Electronic address: seneff@csail.mit.edu.
  • 2Immersion Health, Portland, OR, 97214, USA. Electronic address: drnigh@immersionhealthpdx.com.
  • 3Research and Development, Nasco AD Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Research and Development, Sachtouri 11, 18536, Piraeus, Greece. Electronic address: antkyriak@gmail.com.
  • 4Truth for Health Foundation, Tucson, AZ, USA. Electronic address: peteramccullough@gmail.com.

NO ONE with a medical appointment or university appointment, AT ALL!!!!

Generally, even in less-matched seasons, it reduces the severity of the illness people have, if they get exposed.

Which is another reason the vaccines are very useful/effective: they can shorten the duration of infectiousness for those who are exposed, and thus lower the R0 rate of spread.
You can justify your ideas all you want, but what I said was straight from the cdc website. I have a feeling that they are not underselling the effectiveness of the vaccine. The best case is 40-60% effectiveness.

Reactions: FranIsNotAGoodCoach

Yes, that has to be part of it. When someone comes in with respiratory symptoms we do a broad panel of testing now including flu.

The other part is flu was non-existent for almost two years so there is some waning immunity since the majority of people don't actually get annual flu shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT