ADVERTISEMENT

Yes this is Kenyon Murray

Kenyon, loved watching you as a player and look forward to cheering on your sons.

You were a part of some of my favorite teams when you, Chris Street, Acie Earl, James Moses, Val Barnes, Wade Lookingbill and others all played.

So glad you took the opportunity to address the fans..It’s refreshing to hear from a well thought of Hawkeye player and parent of current Recruits..
I don’t always enjoy “all things Fran”.. but I know Fran excelles at evaluating players...I Expect after 4 yrs of competition we will all know what Fran envisioned and will be proud of the Twins as they represent the Hawkeyes..and I’ll be 4 years closer to retirement...Go Hawks

I just got a month membership to make that post. I don't plan on being on here. I have played, coached at multiple levels and studied the game for a very long time. There are a lot of things that go into why a program offers certain players. With the 3pt line moving out, it is imperative for teams to have shooters to spread the floor and allow for dribble drives/post ups. Positionless basketball is a REAL thing. I appreciate your advice on not being in the message boards, but I love my boys and my alma mater. I am fine with any criticism that comes my way and my boys are too. Go Hawks!!

Congrats to your entire family. I only have one question...being a GrandPa of twin boys...I get asked all the time how I am able to tell them apart. Which we have no problem in doing so. Is that the same for you & your wife?

The very best...

Reactions: perryhawk
I don't think I've ever bashed any Hawkeye football or basketball player on here. The one thing I always remind myself is I've never received any type of offer! Best wishes for good health and success to you and your family.

Reactions: PHawkKenyon
Interesting thread, it isn't often that a parent chooses to weigh in here...and I certainly understand why. :) I think it shows class to stand up for your sons and do so in such a polite manner. I truly don't know how your sons, or any of the other incoming players, will fare athletically in their Hawkeye BB career...BUT...it is quite clear that you are a true stand up guy and it sounds like your boys are too. Congratulations on that for sure!

Therefore, I wish you all the very best success over the next 4-5 years and as others have said...don't ever let the opinions of others get to you.

Interesting thread, it isn't often that a parent chooses to weigh in here...and I certainly understand why. :) I think it shows class to stand up for your sons and do so in such a polite manner. I truly don't know how your sons, or any of the other incoming players, will fare athletically in their Hawkeye BB career...BUT...it is quite clear that you are a true stand up guy and it sounds like your boys are too. Congratulations on that for sure!

Therefore, I wish you all the very best success over the next 4-5 years and as others have said...don't ever let the opinions of others get to you.

The ONLY opinion that truly matters is that of my Lord and Savior. Knowing that God is laying not only my life’s path, but my boys’ path is all the affirmation I need. But I will always speak the truth. Go Hawks!!

Last edited:
Congrats to you, to your sons and to your family.

Lets face it. No one on here knows how to evaluate a basketball or football player. But you know who does? Fran McCaffery.

Bashing players and player commitments is one bad thing about anonymous message boards. Anybody can say anything with little to no consequences.

And Twitter is even worse. People create fake accounts, pose as Hawkeye fans, and then go after players and the parents of players. We have seen this with a couple of Iowa football moms (Tyler Goodson's mom; Justin Britt's mom).

Just curious, as a parent, what do you tell your boys when ti comes to the negative tweets? To simply ignore them & then block the sender?

I don't know what the solution is for players & players' parents other than to ignore the noise and block the senders of the noise.

Fran hates Twitter for many reasons, even though his own kids are on it & have had "fans" come after them. I remember him saying that Margaret monitors their Twitter accounts and is a momma bear if someone comes at their kids.

Kirk Ferentz, of course, has banned his players from Twitter, and I don't see how that decision was ever a bad one.

Also, what are your thoughts on

* The recent FBI investigation and the challenges Fran faces by playing by the rules?

* Are our facilities where they need to be?

As a reminder to all, Kenyon played at Iowa from 1992-1996.

Here are some of his highlights

My boys did their announcement and then turned off their notifications. They never wanted to do the showcases that “rate” players. They wanted to stay in the gym, work on their weaknesses and play the game the right way.

We have the facilities to compete with anyone, and I think having some very good home grown talent meshed with kids like Toussant, Ulis and Perkins (all major cities) will help open up recruiting in the future!

My boys did their announcement and then turned off their notifications. They never wanted to do the showcases that “rate” players. They wanted to stay in the gym, work on their weaknesses and play the game the right way.

We have the facilities to compete with anyone, and I think having some very good home grown talent meshed with kids like Toussant, Ulis and Perkins (all major cities) will help open up recruiting in the future!
Thank you for your feedback.

As you can see, there are posters on here like Legend12 that you simply want to ignore. Would you believe that he has a several years history of telling people on here to kill themselves?

Its incredibly sick.

It's crazy how people who are anonymous (on here, on Twitter, etc) can say anything they want with zero to no consequences.

Reactions: hooper56
Hey Kenyon, congrats on the commitments of your two boys. I am excited to see them grow and develop as basketball players for our Hawkeyes. Tell them to prove the recruiting ranking wrong! I know you can't speak on other recruits behalf but how well do you and your boys know Xavier Foster and do we have a decent shot to land him? We have to keep the Cyclones hands off this kid!

As you can see, there are posters on here like Legend12 that you simply want to ignore. Would you believe that he has a several years history of telling people on here to kill themselves?

Its incredibly sick.

It's crazy how people who are anonymous (on here, on Twitter, etc) can say anything they want with zero to no consequences.
Really?

Congrats, Kenyon. Great to hear from you, you must be extremely proud. If you would, what former Hawk would you compare their style of game to?

Welcome to the HR boards Kenyon, loved cheering you on as a Hawkeye and I'm thrilled for you and your boys and the opportunity in front of them.

In fairness, I think a lot of the negativity that was witnessed here yesterday surrounding your sons commitments was interpreted by some as perhaps indicating that Fran's other recruiting targets were no longer viable. As you know, big time college hoops is an arms race and many of us fans desperately seek to see the Iowa program get to the next level and the pursuit of those 4 & 5 star recruits is a big part of that.

Looking forward to seeing your boys in the black and gold, tell them to keep working hard, there's no substitute for that.

Once you're here, you're always a Hawkeye!

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
As I stated above, Legend12 (who is anonymous to most) has encouraged others on here to take their own lives.

I have never lost a loved one to suicide but I am sure several posters on here have. It's a serious issue, yet Legend 12, as an anonymous internet poster, encourages others to do it.

Personally, I think it's incredibly sick, especially when you read this LA Times article from a few months ago.

JUNE 18, 2019, from the LA Times:

Suicide is now thought to be the second leading cause of death for Americans between 10 and 34.

The rate at which young Americans took their own lives reached a high-water mark in 2017, driven by a sharp rise in suicides among older teenage boys, according to new research.

In that year alone, suicide claimed the lives of 5,016 males and 1,225 females between 15 and 24 in the United States
, researchers reported Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Assn.

...the youth suicide rate — 14.6 per 100,000 — appears to be the highest it’s been since the government began collecting such statistics in 1960.

The grim escalation of self-destruction has followed a slightly different path for boys and young men. Their suicide rate saw modest, steady increases for just over a decade beginning in 2000. Then it turned up sharply starting three to four years ago, data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show.

By 2017, young men between 15 and 19 killed themselves at a rate of 17.9 per 100,000, up from 13 per 100,000 in 2000. Not since 1980 — when the HIV/AIDS epidemic touched off widespread despair among young gay males across the United States — has the suicide rate for this group been so high (it was 18 per 100,000 that year).

The increase among older teen boys raised the overall suicide rate for Americans ages 15 to 24 to its highest level since 1960, said Harvard University’s Oren Miron, the lead author of the new research.

Suicide rates have been rising among men and women across the age spectrum in the United States. In November, the CDC reported that an average American’s likelihood of dying by suicide at any given age rose 33% between 1999 and 2017.

Miron and his colleagues suggest a litany of factors that have contributed to the increase in reported youth suicides, including high rates of depression and anxiety, unprecedented levels of social media use, and a greater willingness of families and officials to acknowledge suicide as a cause of death.

LINK: https://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-suicide-rates-rising-teens-young-adults-20190618-story.html
Bro... He doesn’t care about your beef with Legend. For that matter, nobody does.

Before you all bash the Iowa Mens Basketball's 2020 recruiting class, why not ponder this. Am I proud that my boys will play at Iowa, ABSOLUTELY!! Did we as a family think people would question their commitment, YOU BET!! But if you haven't watch them play, or workout, or study, you might need to do that before you pass judgment on them and the class that isn't even completed.

How did Devyn Marble end up, Aaron White? As their Dad and coach, I would say that 6 months ago they would not be worthy of a B10 scholarship offer. But they took what Fran said to heart. They have both added 20+ lbs of muscle, increased their verticle jump by 3+ inches, will play at least 4 positions for their prep school team who will compete with the likes of IMG, Montverde and Prolific Prep during this season. They are still growing and could get another inch or so (Keegan 6'8 and Kris 6'7.5). So before you close the door on them, why not see what Fran sees in them. They are learning from Dan Pannagio (12 year NBA coach and World Champion with the Lakers). He is the basketball mind behind DME Sports Academy. I came to Iowa with all the accolades and people (myself included) would say I was a disappointment based on my "ranking". Only thing I had on them at this same age, was I was a more explosive athlete. They both shoot, handle and understand the game better than I did at 19 years old. If they can take what Fran and Billy Taylor say they need to work on before they get to campus to be able to contribute, they will do it. They have been underestimated and doubted for a long time, that has been their fuel. I appreciate all the comments that are posted in this message board. That passion is why I came to Iowa and have made it my home since 1992. God Bless and Go Hawks!!
Before you all bash the Iowa Mens Basketball's 2020 recruiting class, why not ponder this. Am I proud that my boys will play at Iowa, ABSOLUTELY!! Did we as a family think people would question their commitment, YOU BET!! But if you haven't watch them play, or workout, or study, you might need to do that before you pass judgment on them and the class that isn't even completed.

How did Devyn Marble end up, Aaron White? As their Dad and coach, I would say that 6 months ago they would not be worthy of a B10 scholarship offer. But they took what Fran said to heart. They have both added 20+ lbs of muscle, increased their verticle jump by 3+ inches, will play at least 4 positions for their prep school team who will compete with the likes of IMG, Montverde and Prolific Prep during this season. They are still growing and could get another inch or so (Keegan 6'8 and Kris 6'7.5). So before you close the door on them, why not see what Fran sees in them. They are learning from Dan Pannagio (12 year NBA coach and World Champion with the Lakers). He is the basketball mind behind DME Sports Academy. I came to Iowa with all the accolades and people (myself included) would say I was a disappointment based on my "ranking". Only thing I had on them at this same age, was I was a more explosive athlete. They both shoot, handle and understand the game better than I did at 19 years old. If they can take what Fran and Billy Taylor say they need to work on before they get to campus to be able to contribute, they will do it. They have been underestimated and doubted for a long time, that has been their fuel. I appreciate all the comments that are posted in this message board. That passion is why I came to Iowa and have made it my home since 1992. God Bless and Go Hawks!!

Thanks Kenyon! Looking forward to cheering on your boys in the coming years! They could be like MJ and Pip on the defensive end, creating turnovers and easy buckets. Go Hawks!

Kenyon, thanks for posting.
I’m glad you addressed some of the issues facing your boys & your family. My end zone football tickets one year had me sitting next to a former player. Some booing occurred after a few incomplete passes & I asked the player what he thought. Basically, he said if people realized how many hours it takes to make it onto the field for 1 play in the Big Ten, they would never boo again. Most people think they have an idea, but unless they’ve gone through it, they don’t.
Don’t let the naysayers get you down. It’s easy for people to be negative & give a million reasons why something won’t work out. Fortunately our best & brightest don’t listen, they just find ways to make it happen. I have a good feeling about your sons. And p.s. you sound like a great dad. Go Hawks!

Congrats and best of luck to you and your sons. Glad they are Hawks

I just got a month membership to make that post. I don't plan on being on here. I have played, coached at multiple levels and studied the game for a very long time. There are a lot of things that go into why a program offers certain players. With the 3pt line moving out, it is imperative for teams to have shooters to spread the floor and allow for dribble drives/post ups. Positionless basketball is a REAL thing. I appreciate your advice on not being in the message boards, but I love my boys and my alma mater. I am fine with any criticism that comes my way and my boys are too. Go Hawks!!

Make it permanent brother. You already know the shit that comes along with the glitter of being a celebrity. This forum, and hence the larger fanbase, your insight, intelligence and perspective. Thanks for input.

Kenyon, it is too easy for doubters and naysayers hiding behind a bulletin board. IF the coaches saw something in the twins, then there IS something there. I am in 100% support of their Decision.

Kenyon, it is too easy for doubters and naysayers hiding behind a bulletin board. IF the coaches saw something in the twins, then there IS something there. I am in 100% support of their Decision.

Its incredibly sick.

It's easy do like I did and put him on the ignorant list.

Good to hear from you. Always proud of how you represented Iowa win or lose.
Looking forward to seeing your boys on the court. D1 sports is a tough road to hoe for the vast majority of the population and I salute any and all that can carry that level of commitment.
Good luck to you and your boys.
P.S.-things are different from when you played so please try to limit your exposure to social media as there is a huge segment of the population that get their joys from bringing others down.

Its incredibly sick.

Lol
giphy.gif

Good to hear from you. Always proud of how you represented Iowa win or lose.
Looking forward to seeing your boys on the court. D1 sports is a tough road to hoe for the vast majority of the population and I salute any and all that can carry that level of commitment.
Good luck to you and your boys.
P.S.-things are different from when you played so please try to limit your exposure to social media as there is a huge segment of the population that get their joys from bringing others down.

You can’t bring down what the Lord holds up. My faith keeps me centered and focused on what is important. People for the most part don’t like to hear the truth, but when laid out in a logical (sometimes matter of fact) way, people usually can except it.

Well said, and do yourself a favor. Stay faarrrr away from this board. It's often a cesspool of negativity and unrealistic expectations.

You can’t bring down what the Lord holds up. My faith keeps me centered and focused on what is important. People for the most part don’t like to hear the truth, but when laid out in a logical (sometimes matter of fact) way, people usually can except it.

my age 'old' keeps me centered..most days. ;)

you mentioned something about your ranking coming to Iowa & some disappointment(s). Sometimes I think these site rankings don't do kids any favors (both ways). As you know huge difference between high school & Big Ten ball.

realize you wont toot your own horn..you had one hell of a career. Over 1200 pts (11th all-time at the time)...all-time steal leader..I think Ryan Bowen caught you later ..but still. Don't know when the Big Ten finally started recognizing All-Defensive teams...if they had it back in your day you would have been All-Big Ten more than once.

ADVERTISEMENT