ADVERTISEMENT

Yes this is Kenyon Murray

"This recruiting class is terrible. The twins aren't good enough!!!"-Everyone here

(Kenyon Murray walks in the room) "What's that you said?" -Kenyon Murray

Oh my God!!! We love your kids and we are so glad they will be Hawks". -Everyone here

my age 'old' keeps me centered..most days. ;)

you mentioned something about your ranking coming to Iowa & some disappointment(s). Sometimes I think these site rankings don't do kids any favors (both ways). As you know huge difference between high school & Big Ten ball.

realize you wont toot your own horn..you had one hell of a career. Over 1200 pts (11th all-time at the time)...all-time steal leader..I think Ryan Bowen caught you later ..but still. Don't know when the Big Ten finally started recognizing All-Defensive teams...if they had it back in your day you would have been All-Big Ten more than once.

Guys can be busts for a lot of reasons....lack of effort...off court issues...attitude....etc.

The most impressive stat of Kenyon's career to me is that he played in 124 games out of 124 during the 4 years he was there. And I know he battled some injuries as well, which held him back at times, but he was always ready to play.

And how many times has someone posted over the last few years....."Can we please get someone to guard like Kenyon Murray did?" To be remembered for defense adds to any offensive stats that players are often measured by.

I hope the Murray twins are highly successful at Iowa. I think some of the initial comments were made out of lack of knowledge, surprise, or from people who saw them play a year or two ago in the MVC Conference. Kids make big leaps forward with outstanding coaching and maturity. I do know that their dad was one of my favorite players, and if these kids are of the same ilk, that is fine with me.

images

Keegan has a game similar to Uthoff and Kris a 6’7.5 (left handed) Devyn Marble

If they can grow to be near the play of Uthoff and Marble, that would be fantastic! Fingers crossed here...

What are their wingspan now? Someone posted they were long, Uthoff was near 7 feet, Dev around 6'9".

Congrats to you and your family! Has be a great feeling.

Reactions: 750075
Sounds like quality young men/citizens. It is always nice to see former players stick around in Iowa and be part of the program. That said, it is Div1 B-ball, so lots of pressure to win.

Growing to Ute and R. Dev Marble status means first team All Big Ten and is pretty rare Hawkeye company. Two legacy kids from Hawkeye royalty ex going from no names to 1st Team All Conference is the kind of stuff that gets movies made, well not about Iowa but I suppose the fictional version could be Duke.

And one thing should be clear about the majority of posters. Some of us may be sceptics but we are fans first. Once you're in the family only best wishes follow. Because a sceptic that doesn't have best wishes and hope to be surprised is not a fan.

Plus twins freak out opponents. Never sure which one you're guarding.

You can’t bring down what the Lord holds up. My faith keeps me centered and focused on what is important. People for the most part don’t like to hear the truth, but when laid out in a logical (sometimes matter of fact) way, people usually can except it.
As a Christian I love that Fran brings in a lot of players with strong beliefs, and moral values. A National Championship, although great, shouldn't be the ultimate goal.

By the way there are no membership dues for the Basketball Board. It's free Kenyon.

Before you all bash the Iowa Mens Basketball's 2020 recruiting class, why not ponder this. Am I proud that my boys will play at Iowa, ABSOLUTELY!! Did we as a family think people would question their commitment, YOU BET!! But if you haven't watch them play, or workout, or study, you might need to do that before you pass judgment on them and the class that isn't even completed.

How did Devyn Marble end up, Aaron White? As their Dad and coach, I would say that 6 months ago they would not be worthy of a B10 scholarship offer. But they took what Fran said to heart. They have both added 20+ lbs of muscle, increased their verticle jump by 3+ inches, will play at least 4 positions for their prep school team who will compete with the likes of IMG, Montverde and Prolific Prep during this season. They are still growing and could get another inch or so (Keegan 6'8 and Kris 6'7.5). So before you close the door on them, why not see what Fran sees in them. They are learning from Dan Pannagio (12 year NBA coach and World Champion with the Lakers). He is the basketball mind behind DME Sports Academy. I came to Iowa with all the accolades and people (myself included) would say I was a disappointment based on my "ranking". Only thing I had on them at this same age, was I was a more explosive athlete. They both shoot, handle and understand the game better than I did at 19 years old. If they can take what Fran and Billy Taylor say they need to work on before they get to campus to be able to contribute, they will do it. They have been underestimated and doubted for a long time, that has been their fuel. I appreciate all the comments that are posted in this message board. That passion is why I came to Iowa and have made it my home since 1992. God Bless and Go Hawks!!
Good luck to you and your sons may they have a great time on and off the court at Iowa. Probably most Iowa fans have never seen your sons play so wondering about the unknown is there it isn’t meant as a criticism.

Before you all bash the Iowa Mens Basketball's 2020 recruiting class, why not ponder this. Am I proud that my boys will play at Iowa, ABSOLUTELY!! Did we as a family think people would question their commitment, YOU BET!! But if you haven't watch them play, or workout, or study, you might need to do that before you pass judgment on them and the class that isn't even completed.

How did Devyn Marble end up, Aaron White? As their Dad and coach, I would say that 6 months ago they would not be worthy of a B10 scholarship offer. But they took what Fran said to heart. They have both added 20+ lbs of muscle, increased their verticle jump by 3+ inches, will play at least 4 positions for their prep school team who will compete with the likes of IMG, Montverde and Prolific Prep during this season. They are still growing and could get another inch or so (Keegan 6'8 and Kris 6'7.5). So before you close the door on them, why not see what Fran sees in them. They are learning from Dan Pannagio (12 year NBA coach and World Champion with the Lakers). He is the basketball mind behind DME Sports Academy. I came to Iowa with all the accolades and people (myself included) would say I was a disappointment based on my "ranking". Only thing I had on them at this same age, was I was a more explosive athlete. They both shoot, handle and understand the game better than I did at 19 years old. If they can take what Fran and Billy Taylor say they need to work on before they get to campus to be able to contribute, they will do it. They have been underestimated and doubted for a long time, that has been their fuel. I appreciate all the comments that are posted in this message board. That passion is why I came to Iowa and have made it my home since 1992. God Bless and Go Hawks!!

Looking forward to watching your boys the next 3-4 years! Saw them play at Prairie a few times. Very heady players who understand the game and allow it to come to them. Should be a fun season!

"This recruiting class is terrible. The twins aren't good enough!!!"-Everyone here

Oh my God!!! We love your kids and we are so glad they will be Hawks". -Everyone here

Job 4:8 "According to what I have seen, those who plow iniquity And those who sow trouble harvest it.“

I have fond memories of Kenyon's performance as a Hawkeye. He was one of my favorites because he could do so many things on the court and he never took a possession off. It was like he was always planning ahead. And, anytime a former Hawkeye sends his sons back to Iowa that just makes me proud to be an Iowan. I love legacy players.

I have fond memories of Kenyon's performance as a Hawkeye. He was one of my favorites because he could do so many things on the court and he never took a possession off. It was like he was always planning ahead. And, anytime a former Hawkeye sends his sons back to Iowa that just makes me proud to be an Iowan. I love legacy players.
Exactly why baer was loved, gave it his all every time on the court and did the non stat sheet stuff.

Reactions: mtown66

Kenyon,

Thank you for sticking up for your Boys and the Hawks. There are some posters that are miss informed or jump to conclusions. I have always thought Fran was a good evaluator of talent. If he offers a kid, he sees something others may not.

I feel good about this class, good shooters and athletes. If we can add at least one big, I'll be very happy.

Best of luck to your Boys, hope they enjoy their Hawkeye experience. I know you and your family will enjoy watching them play close go home.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: keosauquahawk

One of my all-time favorite Hawkeyes and your kids commit! We all saw the work ethic that you had on the court and there is no doubt in my mind that you have instilled the same values in your children. Can't wait to see them thrive on the court inside Carver! Go Hawks!

Reactions: keosauquahawk

You are the man.

Welcome to the Hawkeye family Messrs K & K---we look forward to watching you help set a higher standard for Iowa basketball

That's about right, LOL. I'm a "show me" kind of guy and I may be a pessimist/skeptic by nature, but I always give every incoming recruit a chance to prove themselves before passing any kind of judgment. Some pan out, some don't, but why write anyone off until they've been given a chance to show what they can do? I'm also not a "star ratings don't mean anything" kind of guy, but there are also exceptions - As stated by Kenyon, Aaron White and Devyn Marble come to mind as examples of players that weren't heavily recruited who ended up being very good. Maybe the same can happen with the Murrays.

If Kenyon's kids are anything like their old man, then they should have, at minimum, solid careers in Hawkeye jerseys and represent the school well.

As an Iowa fan, I wish them all the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 so far

Which posters have made both of those type of comments?

thank you being an optimist myself I always think the best. And I'm also always happy that have young men want to be part of the Iowa Hawkeye Nation. Thanks for all you did and I look forward to watching your boys mature.

I just got a month membership to make that post. I don't plan on being on here. I have played, coached at multiple levels and studied the game for a very long time. There are a lot of things that go into why a program offers certain players. With the 3pt line moving out, it is imperative for teams to have shooters to spread the floor and allow for dribble drives/post ups. Positionless basketball is a REAL thing. I appreciate your advice on not being in the message boards, but I love my boys and my alma mater. I am fine with any criticism that comes my way and my boys are too. Go Hawks!!

Well written.

2021-2022 starters. All Iowa Kids :)

1- Connor McCaffery 6'5" RS Sr.
2- Kris Murray 6'7" RS Fr.
3- Keegan Murray 6'7.5" RS Fr.
4- Patrick McCaffery 6'9" Jr.
5- Xavier Foster 7' Soph.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcgolfer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT