ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, we are "little brother" to Iowa st. in basketball. We have descended to the bowels of futility.

2 of those schools fired their coach, and a 3rd could be coming soon. Izzo is a HOF coach who has accomplished more than Fran can even comprehend. He can afford a down year, but will still be in the Dance.
We’ve had more than enough patience for Fran to give us something memorable.

It hasn’t happened. Start the coaching search.

Iowa State basketball has been better in every category that matters this century. If we want to be Nebraska football and talk about the good old days before the turn of the century, well have at it.

We’re all aware of Iowa’s inability to advance in the NCAA tournament, but if you find other categories “meaningful,“ you’d find that ISU’s edge is not really all that significant. At least to me, because I do not use ISU’s results in MBB as a benchmark for Iowa. You have to admit there are plenty of Clone fans out there who genuinely think our histories are comparable when they are not—that’s being “little brother.”

That said, I’d like to see Iowa do better—never said I didn’t.

• Haha
Reactions: NI hawk and Ycusi
Great title by the way! Are you willing to step in to become Iowa's sugar daddy? Iowa St has one, Iowa does not. Fran is ham strung with no money to lure 1 and done players.
Fran has done ok with what he's strapped with, just not good enough for fans like you. I'm going to see how this years freshmen class along side the sophomores turn out in the next couple years before I'm ready to jettison Fran. That's the only reason I'm keeping him around as if I have any say in it. LOL
What exactly has Fran been strapped with? Please don’t tell me you can’t recruit to Iowa. You are right about one thing. Fran has done ok. Ok is mediocre. Just what all of us fans are looking for.

We’re all aware of Iowa’s inability to advance in the NCAA tournament, but if you find other categories “meaningful,“ you’d find that ISU’s edge is not really all that significant. At least to me, because I do not use ISU’s results in MBB as a benchmark for Iowa. You have to admit there are plenty of Clone fans out there who genuinely think our histories are comparable when they are not—that’s being “little brother.”

I’m not sure exactly what the categories are but since the turn of the century:

Conference Regular Season Titles:
Iowa State 2 ( Granted both of those were in 2000 and 2001)
Iowa 0

Conference Tourney Titles:
Iowa State 5 (Four in the last ten years and trying to make it five out of 11 tonight)
Iowa 3 (But two of those years were a long time ago and they have a tendency to win a conference title and then get bounced in the first round.)

NCAA Appearances:
Iowa State - 13 including this season
Iowa - 10

NCAA Sweet Sixteen or better:
Iowa State - 4 (Most likely five after this tourney)
Iowa - 0

Throw in the fact that Iowa State constantly produces NBA rotational talent to superstars and Iowa has only produced Keegan Murray in that category.

I don’t see Iowa even being close to Iowa State.

I’m not sure exactly what the categories are but since the turn of the century:

Conference Regular Season Titles:
Iowa State 2 ( Granted both of those were in 2000 and 2001)
Iowa 0

Conference Tourney Titles:
Iowa State 5 (Four in the last ten years and trying to make it five out of 11 tonight)
Iowa 3 (But two of those years were a long time ago and they have a tendency to win a conference title and then get bounced in the first round.)

NCAA Appearances:
Iowa State - 13 including this season
Iowa - 10

NCAA Sweet Sixteen or better:
Iowa State - 4 (Most likely five after this tourney)
Iowa - 0

Throw in the fact that Iowa State constantly produces NBA rotational talent to superstars and Iowa has only produced Keegan Murray in that category.

I don’t see Iowa even being close to Iowa State.
I had not considered conference titles because wa are not in the same conference. I was mostly referring to head to head and total wins. Didn’t say they aren’t better I just don‘t see this as a great divide other than the aforementioned lack of tourney success. Tourney titles I’ll give you. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: NI hawk
ISU could teach us a thing or two about defense—really taking it to Houston. After all the crying from opposing schools about the huge turnout by Clone fans in Kansas City I find myself cheering for them.

ISU could teach us a thing or two about defense—really taking it to Houston. After all the crying from opposing schools about the huge turnout by Clone fans in Kansas City I find myself cheering for them.
This is why the tourney is signed to 2031 in KC. The west schools and Houston talk about it rotating to Dallas or Vegas, not going to happen. With the addition of 4 eastern schools coming, KC is the central point of the league in the future.

We’re not doing the whole thing where we go back and consider season’s from 25, 30, 40 years ago.

You know, like Nebraska football fans do when we talk sh*t because we’ve essentially made them our “little brother” on the gridiron.

Recent history = ISU easily superior in bball. Therefore.. You could see why some would consider us “little brother”

How about the full 14 years of Fran? ISU had some bad years under Prohm, and guess what, we fired him. But overall, we have had some exciting years as well. At ISU, Fran would have been fired years ago. But for some strange reason, Iowa and the fans seem to think that they could end up worse if they fire Fran. Sometimes you just have to go for it in coaching hires, you have to take a chance. Frans buyout is huge, but can you afford to NOT fire him? Do any of you believe he is going to go to the Dance most every year, and get to the sweet 16 some of those years? I really doubt any of you does. Which is why the students don't show up, which is why CHA 1/3 to half empty for most games. When is the last time Iowa sold out the arena in season tickets? Iowa could do so much better. Lute and TD were far better. That arena was packed. Fran, not so much. You're selling yourselves short.
I also think thats it better to have turnover. 10 years is long enough for any coach unless he's a hall of famer. Barta was a moron that gave big long contracts that ties our hands. It would be nice to have a benefactor who could pays buy outs and bring in top NIL players.

Watching Iowa State compared to Iowa is like watching D-League team compared to a pretty good Iowa High School 3A team.

Reactions: Legs94
Watching Iowa State compared to Iowa is like watching D-League team compared to a pretty good Iowa High School 3A team.
But we are just little ole Iowa, some delusional fans expect too much. Fran is a good guy. We should just settle for being totally mediocre. Remember are last shitty coach?

All stupid arguments

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
Great title by the way! Are you willing to step in to become Iowa's sugar daddy? Iowa St has one, Iowa does not. Fran is ham strung with no money to lure 1 and done players.
Fran has done ok with what he's strapped with, just not good enough for fans like you. I'm going to see how this years freshmen class along side the sophomores turn out in the next couple years before I'm ready to jettison Fran. That's the only reason I'm keeping him around as if I have any say in it. LOL

Fran has not proven he is a good investment for nil $$$.

What
Iowa is actually better than ISU in men’s BB in head to head, tournament appearances, advancing to each round in the tournament. It may not seem like it, but this includes fairly recent history. They are a very good team and clearly better than Iowa right now, to be sure. 🤷‍♀️
What time frame are you referencing?

Since 1989, they have not been comparable. Iowa State has been better with the exception of the Prohm years.

How about, tOSU, Indiana, Michigan St, Michigan, should they be better than any of those?
My point about how bad it is though that Iowa hasn't won the conference in 45 years. There are plenty of years where the the B1G just isn't that good.....

Reactions: cmhawks99
What we have with Fran is not changing. HE will not change his style of play and will continue to recruit to his style. Next year will be more of the same. Sometimes we win because the offense looks great. Many games we will lose because the offense is off, and the defense is really never part of the game. Sometimes we will just plain get our butts kicked like ISU did to us this year. It's not going to change with Fran.

Reactions: DewHawk
What time frame are you referencing?
The one he pulled out of his bunghole.

1980s: 6-4 Iowa
1990s: 5-5
2000s: 6-5 Iowa (because of an NIT game)
2010s: 6-4 Iowa State
2020s: 2-2

At no point in recent history, has Iowa been better head-to-head, and certainly not in the way of conference championships and tournament runs.

Literally. I can't remember the last time ISU had 5 white guys on the floor at the same time.
Because that’s a recipe for failure in basketball. However, if it’s a Pottery Barn sales floor, they’ll be right at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT