ADVERTISEMENT

Miss Caitlin should watch tape of Aaron White

Wango Z Tango

Team MVP
Dec 31, 2004
Chicago
I have enjoyed Clarke's talent and entertainment. She has brought a lot of joy and "Iowa Pride" to the game, and the state. As skillful as she is, when she drives to the basket she is not real
talented at drawing contact for the refs to call a foul. And when she does not get a foul call she gets really angry, we have all seen it. I think at times she gets too worked up about not getting a call she thinks she deserves. Twelve turnovers last evening and I thought many were unforced errors. Against Penn St. I thought the lady Lions did a pretty good job of guarding the perimeter. It worked out to Hannah's advantage and show cased Clarke and others ability to feed the post.

Aaron White was one of the best players I ever watched draw contact, draw fouls on drives to the hoop. Study that part of the game Caitlin, and learn. But also learn that all the whining in the world is not going to help. One thing to be a competitor, quite another to be a cry baby----plenty of those in all levels of basketball.

I have enjoyed Clarke's talent and entertainment. She has brought a lot of joy and "Iowa Pride" to the game, and the state. As skillful as she is, when she drives to the basket she is not real
talented at drawing contact for the refs to call a foul. And when she does not get a foul call she gets really angry, we have all seen it. I think at times she gets too worked up about not getting a call she thinks she deserves. Twelve turnovers last evening and I thought many were unforced errors. Against Penn St. I thought the lady Lions did a pretty good job of guarding the perimeter. It worked out to Hannah's advantage and show cased Clarke and others ability to feed the post.

Aaron White was one of the best players I ever watched draw contact, draw fouls on drives to the hoop. Study that part of the game Caitlin, and learn. But also learn that all the whining in the world is not going to help. One thing to be a competitor, quite another to be a cry baby----plenty of those in all levels of basketball.
I get what you are saying about demeanor, but can you also please tell her how to grow 10 inches and increase her vertical 20 inches?

From the tip, I thought CC looked like she was feeling the stress of being the showcase of women's college BB. She seemed frustrated the whole game. 12 turnovers and some forced shots early in the shot clock were uncharacteristic of her play the last couple of years.

But, she is carrying the weight of women's college BB right now. She's chasing an epic record and she is the focus of every play on the court. Most people would simply crack.

Another big game on Sunday, so short turn-around. Hope she can calm herself a little.

From the tip, I thought CC looked like she was feeling the stress of being the showcase of women's college BB. She seemed frustrated the whole game. 12 turnovers and some forced shots early in the shot clock were uncharacteristic of her play the last couple of years.

But, she is carrying the weight of women's college BB right now. She's chasing an epic record and she is the focus of every play on the court. Most people would simply crack.

Another big game on Sunday, so short turn-around. Hope she can calm herself a little.
I actually think she just had a bad game, by her standards. You could be right, but she’s been playing with overwhelming attention for a long time. She had a couple of lazy passes, had some bad turnovers, missed a few good shots, got frustrated and missed a bad shot or two, and I think decided at some point it wasn’t her night and she was just going to push the pedal to the floor with assists.

I actually think she just had a bad game, by her standards. You could be right, but she’s been playing with overwhelming attention for a long time. She had a couple of lazy passes, had some bad turnovers, missed a few good shots, got frustrated and missed a bad shot or two, and I think decided at some point it wasn’t her night and she was just going to push the pedal to the floor with assists.
15 dimes is pretty amazing!

She does make a lot of high risk passes so she is going to have turnovers. Hard to believe your best player can have 12 turnovers and the team scores 111 against solid competition.

Let's face it. Teams try to be very physical with her even on the perimeter let alone when she drives the paint.
Most times she gets the foul call but when she doesn't get it she whines. Sometimes when she really was not fouled, she expects one called. I've noticed some of the other players doing it as it's rubbing off so to speak.
So many bad defensive calls last night on Martin and Hanna when they blocked the shot of number 0 lowering her shoulder into them to clear them out. I felt she was a bull in a china shop driving but not getting charging fouls.

How about you learn to spell the GOATs name first????? 🤦🏻

Reactions: peacehawk

Great player but big cry-baby.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk

I agree, though at the end, I decided she didn’t feel well. She didn’t smile and seem to enjoy herself like usual.

My beef with Caitlin’s game is when she feels jaded or throws a bad pass. She gets concrete in her feet to defend. Every game the opposition gets 3-4 baskets because she’s busy sulking or yelling at the ref. It seems to have gotten worse with the fame.
That is overstating it. The only thing on the floor which I really wish she would do more of is to follow her shot on the long 3s. She hits a damn good amount of them, but when she misses, the rebound usually kicks out pretty far. Her teammates get a good chunk of them so it is not that big of a deal. But over the course of her career she could probably have another hundred rebounds just doing that.

Lisa has told her to shrug it off and let her bitch to the refs. Wish she did more of that. I'm sure it's frustrating when she gets contact almost every time she has the ball and then phantom calls happen on the other end. With those two fouls early, a technical would have benched her for a lot of the game.

As fr as defense, she is expected to do so much on offense she does appear to be passive. My guess is that she can play defense to if she has to. I would put her on the weakest wing player and let her relax on that end of the court.

Reactions: iowaathletes
Lisa has told her to shrug it off and let her bitch to the refs. Wish she did more of that. I'm sure it's frustrating when she gets contact almost every time she has the ball and then phantom calls happen on the other end. With those two fouls early, a technical would have benched her for a lot of the game.

As fr as defense, she is expected to do so much on offense she does appear to be passive. My guess is that she can play defense to if she has to. I would put her on the weakest wing player and let her relax on that end of the court.
As guess this is the part where I again marvel at how bad the refs are in women's college basketball. All around just horrible, both ways - this is not an Iowa/CC is getting screwed thing. They are remarkably bad, and are probably are looking forward to CC moving on to the WNBA, so they can continue on in relative obscurity again.

Disagree. On what basis do you make the statement that most people would crack. She's playing a game. One that has made her extremely wealthy. The pressure is really nothing compared to the single mother who is just one paycheck away from homelessness and who doesn't know if she's going to have enough money to feed her children.
What Clark is doing is great for the women's game, but the pressure is nothing compared to what the poor go through on a daily basis for their entire lives. The pressure Clark feels is the pressure of the privileged. If she fails people may say some nasty things or she may be disappointed, but it isn't the pressure of life and death.

Disagree. On what basis do you make the statement that most people would crack. She's playing a game. One that has made her extremely wealthy. The pressure is really nothing compared to the single mother who is just one paycheck away from homelessness and who doesn't know if she's going to have enough money to feed her children.
What Clark is doing is great for the women's game, but the pressure is nothing compared to what the poor go through on a daily basis for their entire lives. The pressure Clark feels is the pressure of the privileged. If she fails people may say some nasty things or she may be disappointed, but it isn't the pressure of life and death.
You win the Rant Out Of Left Field Award

@Hawk_4shur is a good, pleasant poster, so I promise you he didn’t mean it in slightful way. With that said, you are dead on. We attribute all this “pressure” to these famous figures and you are correct the pressure of real life. Constant, never ending pressure is way heavier than anything any of these people should ever feel….

It’s another reason why I don’t get people on a message board constantly pissing and moaning about a coach & a game🤷‍♂️

As guess this is the part where I again marvel at how bad the refs are in women's college basketball. All around just horrible, both ways - this is not an Iowa/CC is getting screwed thing. They are remarkably bad, and are probably are looking forward to CC moving on to the WNBA, so they can continue on in relative obscurity again.

They are equally bad….that tOSU game was bad for both teams and this PSU game was similar to that…

I guess for me it’s the consistency. Hannah Straight up and down, never once lowered her hands, stayed in front of her girl, the girl initiated contact multiple times and HS gets called. Then #O comes flying down the lane and runs people over and no calls all around…WTH?

Honestly, these charges and blocks should be real simple….

If a girl obviously flops, you know the type, where everyone in the stadium knows it was a flop. The offensive player comes in hard, but under control stops on a dime, and the other girl still flies backwards….that should be a Technical.

If you have you lrvhands straight up and down, facing the girl in good position, it’s a charge, period…if you come in out of control, with your head down, it’s a charge, period..,

If you reach in and there is any question, it’s a foul…

If you stay straight up & down, don’t bring your hands down, don’t swat, it’s a clan play and so on…

Penn State is No. 1 in the Big Ten in forcing turnovers.
Next to none of her turnovers were forced-they never are. We know she sometimes attempts the impossible pass to someone who won't finish anyway. They have to be eliminated, along with the logo 3's if this team is going very far in March. Not much margin for error when the competition gets tougher...

This is false - not anywhere close to a fair comparison. No doubt the single mothers / poor folks have tremendous stress and pressures, but that is not the same kind of stress as shouldering enormous expectations and then being put on display in front of millions of people to see your live performance. And many of them cheering for your failure. That is a silly comparison.

Next to none of her turnovers were forced-they never are. We know she sometimes attempts the impossible pass to someone who won't finish anyway. They have to be eliminated, along with the logo 3's if this team is going very far in March. Not much margin for error when the competition gets tougher...
I agree on the bridge to nowhere 3/4 court passes to Goodman and O'Grady running and trying to catch and finish those passes on the fly. Those are going to be successfully handled like 5% of the time. She can do it all day long to Stuelke and Martin, as far as I am concerned. She can also keep jacking up logo 3s, as that is part of what makes her special and opens up the floor for the rest of the offense to flow.

Let's face it. Teams try to be very physical with her even on the perimeter let alone when she drives the paint.
Most times she gets the foul call but when she doesn't get it she whines. Sometimes when she really was not fouled, she expects one called. I've noticed some of the other players doing it as it's rubbing off so to speak.
So many bad defensive calls last night on Martin and Hanna when they blocked the shot of number 0 lowering her shoulder into them to clear them out. I felt she was a bull in a china shop driving but not getting charging fouls.
Agreed. If the refs are going to allow the opposition to bull their way through our interior defense...then we are suddenly much more vulnerable than we really should be, or deserve to be if you will.

We lost the OSU game in large part due to this IMO. The refs swallowed their whistle in that game as it related to travel calls and charging fouls. While watching the PSU game last night I couldn't help but think that the PSU coaches had prepped number 0 to barrel to the basket until they start calling you for it...which they pretty much did not.

We might need a real "enforcer" down low to stop the drives...by whatever means necessary. :)

In the moment, I can find myself thinking, why did she just do that? But, I then recognize, that's who she is. You can't bridle that, and thank goodness Bluder doesn't. GOOD > Bad.

It seemed to me that the game plan was for CC to get as many assists as possible and not score as much. I guess so she can break the scoring record at home in a couple of games. CC then made several bad decisions with the ball/passing and had 12 TO's. Add to that that she did seem off last night and she had a tough night even though she had 27 and 15 assists, still a great game for most mortals. JMO

Huh…you didn’t watch last seasons tournament did you?

Reactions: kceasthawk
Definitely think the immense coverage is getting to Caitlin. Her whining to the officials on every single call is not only a bad look for her, but also for the team. I noticed too that she's more openly now expressing frustration on the court
with not only herself, but also the play of other teammates. This is something that Bluder has to put a stop to ASAP.

Reactions: TRE 12
You may say impossible pass, but they get through if it's a different team that's not as good at closing the passing lane. It's because of the defense.

Reactions: cmhawks99
This is false - not anywhere close to a fair comparison. No doubt the single mothers / poor folks have tremendous stress and pressures, but that is not the same kind of stress as shouldering enormous expectations and then being put on display in front of millions of people to see your live performance. And many of them cheering for your failure. That is a silly comparison.

It’s good for perspective….for both parties actually. It’s still a child’s game, that we all make too important. She has said similar things. It’s entertainment for people’s pleasure…why get nervous

I agree on the bridge to nowhere 3/4 court passes to Goodman and O'Grady running and trying to catch and finish those passes on the fly. Those are going to be successfully handled like 5% of the time. She can do it all day long to Stuelke and Martin, as far as I am concerned. She can also keep jacking up logo 3s, as that is part of what makes her special and opens up the floor for the rest of the offense to flow.

Agreed on all accounts. Plus last night was different in the fact that at least four, maybe five of those passes were knocked down immediately as she threw it… I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that happen once let alone four or five times…..she had an off game.

Definitely think the immense coverage is getting to Caitlin. Her whining to the officials on every single call is not only a bad look for her, but also for the team. I noticed too that she's more openly now expressing frustration on the court
with not only herself, but also the play of other teammates. This is something that Bluder has to put a stop to ASAP.

I’ll call her….

Caitlin has talked about her "complaining" to refs about a call - shes a fierce competitor and is actually friends with many of the refs. She makes her complaint and moves on. She's a generational player - she wasnt 100% herself from long range last night so she fed HS and others all night. She's the leader on the court. Despite all the bad reffing we won. Enjoy the victory, savor CC and stop whining about her please. This unfortunately may be her last year at Iowa.

Maybe the word "crack" was too much. Perhaps, many would succumb to the pressure. They might miss every shot or get tossed out of a game for poor sportsmanship.

And, if you want to talk about the pressure of a single mother or the poor, fine. I don't think that's a fair comparison, but the pressure people feel isn't based on how well they have it over others. The pressure to meet expectations and obligations can be overwhelming, no matter your status in life.

Agreed. If the refs are going to allow the opposition to bull their way through our interior defense...then we are suddenly much more vulnerable than we really should be, or deserve to be if you will.

We lost the OSU game in large part due to this IMO. The refs swallowed their whistle in that game as it related to travel calls and charging fouls. While watching the PSU game last night I couldn't help but think that the PSU coaches had prepped number 0 to barrel to the basket until they start calling you for it...which they pretty much did not.

We might need a real "enforcer" down low to stop the drives...by whatever means necessary. :)

Well at that point, I hope they take advantage of all 15 fouls, AO, Sharon & Edinger can use, because your premise is correct…..

I’ve never been a foul calls lost the game kind of guy, but if they call any charges and travels vs that girl it doesn’t go to OT. It was gross and not enjoyable basketball to watch people get bowled over and it not called.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying Caitlin had a bad game. She started off shooting cold, but that's hardly a new thing. There have been several games where it took her a quarter to find her shot, and she found it in the 2nd quarter again last night. If she needed to keep scoring, she would have, but PSU decided not to play any defense on Stuelke the 2nd half so Caitlin just kept feeding her for the easy baskets. I don't really see how that's a bad thing or her having an "off night". It's clear that Iowa's game plan was to use Stuelke down low because Bluder thought they had an advantage there and obviously they did.

As for "drawing contact", Caitlin draws plenty of contact while going through the lane. It's just that officials don't call 2/3 of the fouls other teams commit when trying to defend her. The fact that Caitlin still performs at the level she does despite that is a testament to how good she is.

Absolutely ridiculous. If CC doesn't play like CC we AREN"T winning shit anyway. This thread is hilarious. Its bad enough the crap she has to put up with from haters on OTHER teams, but here OUR fans picking her apart after a sub par, (for her) game, like she can't have an off game or something. Bunch of middle aged beer drinking couch potatoes ragging on a 22 year old kid. Sure a lot of those turnovers are unforced. Its also the reason she makes the incredible passes no one else can. Hey don't shoot those logo three CC, (even though her adjusted field goal % is just under 60% for the season). Thank God Lisa is coaching this team and not some of the posters on this site. Sounds like a common refrain doesn't it.......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT