ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes, U of Washington Football

McLovin32

HR Legend
Feb 1, 2008
This sure isn't a good look for Washington/Kalen DeBoer. The team was aware that he was being accused of the first rape and let him play anyways after a brief break for some "challenges he had off the field."

University of Washington football player arrested, charged with raping 2 women​

Associated Press
Tue, Apr 9, 2024, 10:02 PM CDT·3 min read

SEATTLE (AP) — A University of Washington football player has been arrested and charged with raping two women in Seattle and court documents say he played in two College Football Playoff games for the school after at least one of the allegations was known to the university.
Seattle police officers arrested 18-year-old Tylin “Tybo” Rogers on Friday and booked him into King County Jail, KING-TV reported. He was charged Tuesday with second-degree rape and third-degree rape and his bail was set at $150,000 in each case, according to court documents.
It wasn’t immediately known if Rogers, of Bakersfield, California, has an attorney to comment on his behalf. Jail records show he was released on bond. Efforts to contact him by The Associated Press weren't immediately successful.
Rogers has been suspended from all team activities until further notice, the University of Washington athletic department said in a statement Tuesday. The university will continue to gather facts and cooperate with police, as requested, the statement said.
A Seattle Central Community College student told police she was raped in the city's Capitol Hill neighborhood last year. According to court documents, Rogers and the 19-year-old woman met and started messaging each other after matching on the Tinder dating app in August 2023. Rogers went to her apartment to hang out on Oct. 23 and assaulted her, according to court documents.
Authorities said in court documents that the woman reported the alleged rape to police on Oct. 28, and completed a sexual assault kit at Harborview Medical Center.
A 22-year-old University of Washington student reported that she was raped in November 2023 in the University District, police said.
The woman met Rogers at a Halloween party at the university and then matched with him on Tinder, according to court documents. Police said the two made plans a couple weeks later to hang out and that upon entering her apartment Rogers was immediately forceful and assaulted her. The woman told police at one point Rogers “used one of his hands to strangle her.”
The second woman reported the alleged rape to the university on Nov. 28, police said. Rogers allegedly called her on that date to confront her about the allegations, police said in court documents.
He was also suspended from team activities around late November 2023, according to court documents. The freshman running back did not travel with the team for its victory over the Oregon Ducks in the Pac-12 Championship game on Dec. 1.
At the time, offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb said during a news conference that Rogers was “working through some things, some challenges he’s had off the field,” court documents said. Rogers returned to team practices by mid-December, documents said.
Multiple emails were also sent within the University of Washington athletic department confirming Rogers should be taken off the team’s travel roster for the Pac-12 championship game, but no documentation of reasons for such an action were given, the documents said. He was allowed to appear in the Huskies’ two College Football Playoff games a month later, however.
Rogers recorded five carries for 19 yards in the Huskies’ semifinal win over the Texas Longhorns on Jan. 1. The 18-year-old rushed for two yards in the National Championship Game against the Michigan Wolverines on Jan. 8.
Washington was coached last season by Kalen DeBoer, who left following the national championship game to take the head job at Alabama. Jedd Fisch is now Washington’s head coach.
After practice Tuesday, Fisch told local news media that nothing about Rogers being suspended last year, or the reasons for it, had been brought to his attention.
“I wasn’t here for that,” Fisch said. “As soon as I found out about the allegations, as soon as it was brought to our attention, he’s been suspended indefinitely. I have no comment about what happened in the past. That has nothing to do with me.”

• Wow
Reactions: h-hawk
Gonna be hard to get anything with new AD and fb coach

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

This sure isn't a good look for Washington/Kalen DeBoer. The team was aware that he was being accused of the first rape and let him play anyways after a brief break for some "challenges he had off the field."

University of Washington football player arrested, charged with raping 2 women​

Associated Press
Tue, Apr 9, 2024, 10:02 PM CDT·3 min read

SEATTLE (AP) — A University of Washington football player has been arrested and charged with raping two women in Seattle and court documents say he played in two College Football Playoff games for the school after at least one of the allegations was known to the university.
Seattle police officers arrested 18-year-old Tylin “Tybo” Rogers on Friday and booked him into King County Jail, KING-TV reported. He was charged Tuesday with second-degree rape and third-degree rape and his bail was set at $150,000 in each case, according to court documents.
It wasn’t immediately known if Rogers, of Bakersfield, California, has an attorney to comment on his behalf. Jail records show he was released on bond. Efforts to contact him by The Associated Press weren't immediately successful.
Rogers has been suspended from all team activities until further notice, the University of Washington athletic department said in a statement Tuesday. The university will continue to gather facts and cooperate with police, as requested, the statement said.
A Seattle Central Community College student told police she was raped in the city's Capitol Hill neighborhood last year. According to court documents, Rogers and the 19-year-old woman met and started messaging each other after matching on the Tinder dating app in August 2023. Rogers went to her apartment to hang out on Oct. 23 and assaulted her, according to court documents.
Authorities said in court documents that the woman reported the alleged rape to police on Oct. 28, and completed a sexual assault kit at Harborview Medical Center.
A 22-year-old University of Washington student reported that she was raped in November 2023 in the University District, police said.
The woman met Rogers at a Halloween party at the university and then matched with him on Tinder, according to court documents. Police said the two made plans a couple weeks later to hang out and that upon entering her apartment Rogers was immediately forceful and assaulted her. The woman told police at one point Rogers “used one of his hands to strangle her.”
The second woman reported the alleged rape to the university on Nov. 28, police said. Rogers allegedly called her on that date to confront her about the allegations, police said in court documents.
He was also suspended from team activities around late November 2023, according to court documents. The freshman running back did not travel with the team for its victory over the Oregon Ducks in the Pac-12 Championship game on Dec. 1.
At the time, offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb said during a news conference that Rogers was “working through some things, some challenges he’s had off the field,” court documents said. Rogers returned to team practices by mid-December, documents said.
Multiple emails were also sent within the University of Washington athletic department confirming Rogers should be taken off the team’s travel roster for the Pac-12 championship game, but no documentation of reasons for such an action were given, the documents said. He was allowed to appear in the Huskies’ two College Football Playoff games a month later, however.
Rogers recorded five carries for 19 yards in the Huskies’ semifinal win over the Texas Longhorns on Jan. 1. The 18-year-old rushed for two yards in the National Championship Game against the Michigan Wolverines on Jan. 8.
Washington was coached last season by Kalen DeBoer, who left following the national championship game to take the head job at Alabama. Jedd Fisch is now Washington’s head coach.
After practice Tuesday, Fisch told local news media that nothing about Rogers being suspended last year, or the reasons for it, had been brought to his attention.
“I wasn’t here for that,” Fisch said. “As soon as I found out about the allegations, as soon as it was brought to our attention, he’s been suspended indefinitely. I have no comment about what happened in the past. That has nothing to do with me.”

Why? He was still able to go to class and walk about in society at the time. Why shouldnt he be able to play football? He's less of a threat playing football.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
What an idiotic question. The resident incel sees nothing wrong with someone accused of rape being able to continue on with their athletic career in college.
God you're dumb. Explain why an (accused) person can freely participate in society - where he might be an actual threat to women - but it's some terrible moral violation that he plays a sport?

How does that make sense? Why are you so concerned about his playing a sport but not his presence on campus or in society where he might harm people?

The floor is yours, idiot.

God you're dumb. Explain why an (accused) person can freely participate in society - where he might be an actual threat to women - but it's some terrible moral violation that he plays a sport?

How does that make sense? Why are you so concerned about his playing a sport but not his presence on campus or in society where he might harm people?

Calling someone an idiot while being an idiot is a bold strategy, Cotton.

Oh I see the incel thing hit a nerve. Not surprised the guy that comments on underage girls in bikinis wouldn't like that.

Regardless of what I say, you aren't going to change your mind, we all know that. For a coaching staff to be aware of such horrendous allegations and think that 2 weeks without practice and 1 missed game is punishment enough, speaks volumes about the coaching staff and program.

Oh I see the incel thing hit a nerve. Not surprised the guy that comments on underage girls in bikinis wouldn't like that.

Regardless of what I say, you aren't going to change your mind, we all know that. For a coaching staff to be aware of such horrendous allegations and think that 2 weeks without practice and 1 missed game is punishment enough, speaks volumes about the coaching staff and program.
And he completely ducks the question.

The incel thing is just a misplaced insult - the fact that you got all over my case decent reasoning means you're in for it.

(What you're doing with the incel thing is basically what people did with the word racist -- turn it into a loosely used pejorative)

You don't actually think, like most of them.

Again, please answer why it's terrible morality to posit what I did.

Obviously my logic isn't very problematic.

So he wasn't arrested until this week, 5 months after the alleged events?

I guess I need to figure out where everyone stands on when accusations should start having penalties.
Accusation?
Arrest?
Conviction?
Depends on the crime?
Depends on who is accused?
Depends on if they’re multiple victims. A couple in two months. Is decent grounds imo.

I guess I need to figure out where everyone stands on when accusations should start having penalties.
Accusation?
Arrest?
Conviction?
Depends on the crime?
I think if it's a credible, legitimate accusation, that should be grounds for some sort of punishment. Two accusations regarding the same type of thing from 2 different people, starts to get bad. The school said it was working with police, so I think they knew these were credible allegations.

In these cases, you'd think the Universities would move the accused to online attendance and removal from all athletics... and not being allowed "on-campus" until cleared.
I can agree with this, 100%. Hopefully that makes @Colonoscopy happy.

Explain why an accused person gets to participate in society, where he might be a real threat, but not on the football field.

Again... Thinking required.
Participating in a sport representing a university is a privilege, not a right. Certain actions come with consequences that may and should forfeit that privilege. The university funding your participation doesn't want ( unless run by sleezebags) the scandal associated with a possible rapist representing them. It has nothing to do with the prevention of future rapes and everything to do with the image of having a rapist on your team. Not to mention allowing an accused rapist to continue to play is sending a message that there arent consequences to a players behavior. It's not complicated.

Evading. Running away. Won't answer why my logic is so terribly flawed and problematic.
I literally tagged you in a reply above.

I think if it's a credible, legitimate accusation, that should be grounds for some sort of punishment. Two accusations regarding the same type of thing from 2 different people, starts to get bad. The school said it was working with police, so I think they knew these were credible allegations.

I can agree with this, 100%. Hopefully that makes @Colonoscopy happy.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Participating in a sport representing a university is a privilege, not a right. Certain actions come with consequences that may and should forfeit that privilege. The university funding your participation doesn't want ( unless run by sleezebags) the scandal associated with a possible rapist representing them. It has nothing to do with the prevention of future rapes and everything to do with the image of having a rapist on your team. Not to mention allowing an accused rapist to continue to play is sending a message that there arent consequences to a players behavior. It's not complicated.
Right. Great deleniation.

The rights side vs the privilege side.

Which is more meaningful?

Obviously the rights side. That's where the important stuff happens. Not the side where we're talking about "image" -- right?

Privilege? Football, games, image...etc

Which is exactly why I don't care that much whether an accused plays football or whatever sport. The ****ing sports participation question pales in comparison to the society question where significance is concerned. (which the law already has a handle on)

Which is why it's not a major moral blunder to let someone like this play football. (it ceases to be a major moral question)

Now we can talk about actual actions and what's fair within the context of a privilege like playing football. Even if not governed by the law of rights, the law of rights possesses certain logic that's rather universally applicable and lauded in handling questions like this. Like innocent until proven guilty and etc...

Where I'm at with it? Unless the coach is privy to certain inside information that the legal system isn't, or if he knows an arrest is eminent or whatnot, I'm fine with him letting the athlete continue to participate while the investigation is ongoing. Because it's just football.

Accusation?
Arrest?
Conviction?
Depends on the crime?
200w.gif

Right. Great deleniation.

The rights side vs the privilege side.

Which is more meaningful?

Obviously the rights side. That's where the important stuff happens. Not the side where we're talking about "image" -- right?

Privilege? Football, games, image...etc

Which is exactly why I don't care that much whether an accused plays football or whatever sport. The ****ing sports participation question pales in comparison to the society question where significance is concerned. (which the law already has a handle on)

Which is why it's not a major moral blunder to let someone like this play football. (it ceases to be a major moral question)

Now we can talk about actual actions and what's fair within the context of a privilege like playing football. Even if not governed by the law of rights, the law of rights possesses certain logic that's rather universally applicable and lauded in handling questions like this. Like innocent until proven guilty and etc...

Where I'm at with it? Unless the coach is privy to certain inside information that the legal system isn't, or if he knows an arrest is eminent or whatnot, I'm fine with him letting the athlete continue to participate while the investigation is ongoing. Because it's just football.

For whatever reason, I heard Dennis Reynolds’ voice when I read this. Now I can’t read it without hearing it.

tumblr_o8bx3b0JZi1r0j1p1o5_400.gif

images

This guy, his attorney and Judge Colleen Lawless (interesting last name for a judge), completely disagree with your opinion on the matter.

• Sad
Reactions: lucas80
Explain why an accused person gets to participate in society, where he might be a real threat, but not on the football field.

Again... Thinking required.
I totally get what you’re asking. They can go on in life but they can’t participate in a sport. If he proves to be innocent then you just screwed the kid out of playing in some big games. If he can’t play in a football game because of what he allegedly did, then why isn’t he in jail for what he allegedly did.
What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Side note and I’m joking. But if you match with someone on tinder and decide to meet up in person, isn’t that basically giving consent? Isn’t tinder just a hookup site?

Side note and I’m joking. But if you match with someone on tinder and decide to meet up in person, isn’t that basically giving consent? Isn’t tinder just a hookup site?
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Tinder is a dating app people use to hook up. If you are ever confused about consent, just assume that you do not have consent until told otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT