ADVERTISEMENT

you guys paid the refs well last night

If you are an unaffiliated, neutral observer, rewind your recording and watch this game. How the Iowa players got through without broke limbs is amazing.

WV's game plan was to throw up brick walls and alley fights.
Which of course is the way BB was designed to be played. :>)

• Haha
Reactions: cmhawks99
Basketball is supposed to be free-flowing, that's impossible when thug ball is being played. It takes away iowa's beautiful offense that is unmatchable. So sick of the way some of these dips play so called bb
Minus the thug part, I agree. I really don’t watch men’s hoops outside of Iowa but I do watch a lot of women’s basketball. IMO the tournament has been far too physical across the board. Without reining it in, officials are asking for trouble. Not only that, but the games can be clunky to watch because of constant riding with forearm’s on drivers, handchecking, and overly physical play. Just my two pennys.

Basketball is supposed to be free-flowing, that's impossible when thug ball is being played. It takes away iowa's beautiful offense that is unmatchable. So sick of the way some of these dips play so called bb
Exactly...basketball should be a finesse game...for years it's been devolving into effing rugby...I'm an old bastard and remember (as a point guard) when someone put there hand on me eventually they called an effing foul.

Which of course is the way BB was designed to be played. :>)

Basketball is governed by rules to be enforced by officials. There were bad calls last night like every game. Some missed and over calls. Like every game.

Aggression was rewarded. WV's game plan was to shut down Iowa's offense which required over-guarding; their only means to be competive.

Exactly...basketball should be a finesse game...for years it's been devolving into effing rugby...I'm an old bastard and remember (as a point guard) when someone put their hand on me eventually they called an effing foul.
Sadly it’s gone from just a hand to a forearm. You call that right away and players will learn. The problem is they are allowing that garbage early and it just gets more and more physical. This isn’t Iowa specific either.

Exactly...basketball should be a finesse game...for years it's been devolving into effing rugby...I'm an old bastard and remember (as a point guard) when someone put there hand on me eventually they called an effing foul.

Remember when hand-check was a foul? They rode Caitlin's sides and hips on every possession and hacked inside her arms on inside shots. Hannah was mugged constantly.

Iowa players aren't saints but are basketball players.

1_Horrifying-secrets-of-Americas-most-notorious-inbred-family.jpg

I bet you can guess where this family is from!!!! LOL
(the most inbred family in America!!!)
(Hint: WV)
The WHITTAKERS!! Ole Ray barks like a dog when he talks.

• Haha
Reactions: *hawksrock*
Remember when hand-check was a foul? They rode Caitlin's sides and hips on every possession and hacked inside her arms on inside shots. Hannah was mugged constantly.

Iowa players aren't saints but are basketball players.
Exactly what I said last night.

don't try to say you didn't.....the entire sports world saw it and knows it........you won't get the chance against South Carolina...they have more money
No, You're wrong. As everybody saw last year in the championship game who bought the refs it was clearly ESPN and the SEC.

Reactions: amahawk
Don’t disagree. But at least be consistent with what you’re not going to call for both teams. One game this past weekend a team made 26 of 37 freethrows……….. the other team 6 of 9.
And is that a problem? Maybe one team fouled way more than the other team? A refs job is not to make sure the 2 teams shoot the same amount of free throws. West Virginia fouled a lot more than Iowa last night. Their style of play all year when you look at a box score says this happens almost every night when they play. Same with Houston. They had 4 guys foul out the other night. Because they foul a lot. That doesn't mean the refs should foul out Texas A & M guys as well.

There's a 'freedom of movement' rule in WCBB, WV violated that rule on nearly every single possession multiple times. Some were called, but the majority the refs swallowed their whistles ignoring that rule. They play a style that dares the refs to call it, when it happens they lose and complain rather than play by the rules. Once I saw Camerion Inouye was reffing the game, I knew this would happen. Her and Gina Cross have no business being allowed to officiate another game again.

I understand there is going to be physical play, which I'm fine with but the refs have to do better at calling it when it crosses the line. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Kim Mulkey when she said during the last South Carolina vs. LSU game that the refs only calling a single foul on each team in the 4th quarter until the fight broke out had something to do with the incident (I don't agree with anything else she says).

You can bet if Iowa plays LSU it is going to be extremely physical. If the refs don’t call it tight Iowa will get rolled if they don’t get a lot tougher than last night.

You can bet if Iowa plays LSU it is going to be extremely physical. If the refs don’t call it tight Iowa will get rolled if they don’t get a lot tougher than last night.
Yep. Them having Morrow and Reese grabbing rebound after rebound is going to be a problem. We are going to have to play our best game of the year. I'm still hoping UCLA can knock them off, they are the higher seed. We just seem to match up better w/them in my opinion.

And is that a problem? Maybe one team fouled way more than the other team? A refs job is not to make sure the 2 teams shoot the same amount of free throws. West Virginia fouled a lot more than Iowa last night. Their style of play all year when you look at a box score says this happens almost every night when they play. Same with Houston. They had 4 guys foul out the other night. Because they foul a lot. That doesn't mean the refs should foul out Texas A & M guys as well.
It’s only a problem when one team is hacking as much, or more, as the other but not getting whistled for it. I could care less about the quantity of each. It’s the consistency of the calls that I have an issue with the stripes. Which in some cases result in the lopsided freebies taken

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I don't like watching thug ball, which is how WV plays this year and how some of our fav Men's B1G teams (MSU, Wisky, etc) have often played many years under their current coaches. On the other hand, I also don't like the totally non-physical play-like-it-is-an-offensive-exhibition approach of basketball. Defense should be a big part of the game, not just shooting. There is a degree of physical play that officials need to allow, and the better officials seem to usually control the game, yet allow some physical play. The players usually know quickly what will be tolerated with the better officials.

don't try to say you didn't.....the entire sports world saw it and knows it........you won't get the chance against South Carolina...they have more money
They could have called a dozen more fouls on WV with all the hand and body checking. WV players were dirty players and should have had more.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I have a question. I hear that your football stadium Milan Puskar Stadium holds 60k people, so does that mean it holds 120k teeth?

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4
If you read this board enough the poster would know their is a NCAA conspiracy to prevent Iowa football and men’s and women’s basketball from winning national titles.

Some day the documents will be uncovered.

Of course anti Iowa officiating by the NCAA would be the dumbest thing ever because Clark drives ratings to heights never seen before.

You can break down tape of any football and basketball game and see missed calls.

The majority of bitching comes from butt hurt fans.

If and when Iowa loses it will be because the refs let the game get too physical and missed too many calls. Book it. 100% that will be the message on here a 100 times.
And most likely true.

This is…actually, a deep philosophical basketball question. We’re mad as a hell because we don’t play good enough defense. Guess who does? Iowa State… that’s what good defense is.

And I’m not embarrassed or sad to say Iowas states level of basketball defense is very much akin to Iowa’s level of football defense. They should be applauded
and people should look at them remarkedly at how intense they are…

Minus the thug part, I agree. I really don’t watch men’s hoops outside of Iowa but I do watch a lot of women’s basketball. IMO the tournament has been far too physical across the board. Without reining it in, officials are asking for trouble. Not only that, but the games can be clunky to watch because of constant riding with forearm’s on drivers, handchecking, and overly physical play. Just my two pennys.

This is a very good observation that I didn’t even think about. I toggle back-and-forth between the thought process of the officiating is horrible, and it is, and also incredibly difficult…🤷‍♂️

By the letter of the law, the level of defense, that Iowa State and several subsequent big 12 teams, and various teams across the nation… I – E: the kind of teams that win championships, is honestly thuggery, and they should foul out twice over.

And a sidenote, I don’t remember seeing any of us overly talk about the level of defense that we had to play in that game. Of course West Virginia isn’t an offensive juggernaut, but fellas, they only scored less than 60 I think four times this year!!!

We kicked some ass. As much applaud as we have gotten and honestly it’s sickening and I say that to also say this, we also are only thought of as Caitlyn Clark. This is a gutsy damn team, that was a gutsy ass win, we’re OK I honestly believe we’re gonna make it to the final four after that I really don’t know..🤷‍♂️

This is a very good observation that I didn’t even think about. I toggle back-and-forth between the thought process of the officiating is horrible, and it is, and also incredibly difficult…🤷‍♂️

By the letter of the law, the level of defense, that Iowa State and several subsequent big 12 teams, and various teams across the nation… I – E: the kind of teams that win championships, is honestly thuggery, and they should foul out twice over.

And a sidenote, I don’t remember seeing any of us overly talk about the level of defense that we had to play in that game. Of course West Virginia isn’t an offensive juggernaut, but fellas, they only scored less than 60 I think four times this year!!!

We kicked some ass. As much applaud as we have gotten and honestly it’s sickening and I say that to also say this, we also are only thought of as Caitlyn Clark. This is a gutsy damn team, that was a gutsy ass win, we’re OK I honestly believe we’re gonna make it to the final four after that I really don’t know..🤷‍♂️
I’ll just say this, and I’ll take the blowback, but we need to get rid of the term thug, thuggery, etc. The implications are pretty obvious. Not calling you out sir, but I’ve been around long enough to feel the origin of that word. Everything else you said I agree with.

I’ll just say this, and I’ll take the blowback, but we need to get rid of the term thug, thuggery, etc. The implications are pretty obvious. Not calling you out sir, but I’ve been around long enough to feel the origin of that word. Everything else you said I agree with.

I actually agree with you good sir, truly, but as a side note, as a 53-year-old man that is pretty pretty middle of the road.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment, but I’ll also point out to me and I think to people 200 years ago thuggery still had a meaning outside of a black connotation.

I think there are way too many people in this society that immediately read a “extra” negative into everything. I wholeheartedly understand where you’re coming from And I actually strongly support your opinion, but there is some truth to the other side of the fact that man alive. We are way too sensitive now…. just my six cents, if you will.😊

On a very quick aside that I’ve fought for a couple minutes about before I went ahead and added it… It may sound racial, but I’m a very linear, logical, spiritual, kind of thinker, and right is right and wrong is wrong and I am fairly black-and-white, but with an extreme consideration of human nature And sin and our likelihood to fail .

It isn’t a worse crime to hate Black people than it is to hate everyone. I really don’t understand where we’ve gotten to in society, and that does not mean I don’t believe that black folks or Native Americans didn’t get a shorter end of the straw, I really truly actually believe that and it’s a very complex situation, but hate is hate fellas And murder is murder 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, got a little off the deep in there, I guess that was more like $.17😛

I actually agree with you good sir, truly, but as a side note, as a 53-year-old man that is pretty pretty middle of the road.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment, but I’ll also point out to me and I think to people 200 years ago thuggery still had a meaning outside of a black connotation.

I think there are way too many people in this society that immediately read a “extra” negative into everything. I wholeheartedly understand where you’re coming from And I actually strongly support your opinion, but there is some truth to the other side of the fact that man alive. We are way too sensitive now…. just my six cents, if you will.😊

On a very quick aside that I’ve fought for a couple minutes about before I went ahead and added it… It may sound racial, but I’m a very linear, logical, spiritual, kind of thinker, and right is right and wrong is wrong and I am fairly black-and-white, but with an extreme consideration of human nature And sin and our likelihood to fail .

It isn’t a worse crime to hate Black people than it is to hate everyone. I really don’t understand where we’ve gotten to in society, and that does not mean I don’t believe that black folks or Native Americans didn’t get a shorter end of the straw, I really truly actually believe that and it’s a very complex situation, but hate is hate fellas And murder is murder 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, got a little off the deep in there, I guess that was more like $.17😛
I will keep politics out of this as it has no place but JFC how high are you? I’m gonna get on your wavelength…give me a minute.

Ok I’m back. It’s not 200 years ago. I’m not saying the term thug is inherently racist, but when I see that term used on these boards, it almost always applies to people of color.

I will keep politics out of this as it has no place but JFC how high are you? I’m gonna get on your wavelength…give me a minute.

Ok I’m back. It’s not 200 years ago. I’m not saying the term thug is inherently racist, but when I see that term used on these boards, it almost always applies to people of color.

I’m going to go with theoretically; yes that’s very plausible, maybe even likely, but it doesn’t apply to everyone and it certainly doesn’t apply to me…🤷‍♂️

I’m not going to list off my “credentials“ of not being racist or prejudiced I’m gonna go the opposite direction. We are all insensitive, naive and utterly incapable of deeply understanding things outside our comfort zone, we can really just acknowledge that we can’t truly understand it, and empathize to the best of our abilities…

All this to say: we all play a part in the way things are perceived in this current media driven environment we find ourselves…🤷‍♂️

Yes, still high I guess & unless you say some really crazy shit you’re not gonna drag me into political conversation

Reactions: jellyfish10

Brad Davidson says hold my beer, while Greyson Allen drinks it.

Reactions: Ree4 and shudaddy
I mentioned "thug ball" in my post about how the WV women played, but then went on to talk about men's programs, mentioning MSU and Wisky. Wisconsin BB certainly is not Black, so the term can be used more generally. I agree that we need to be very careful with the names we use to describe individuals, because they do often have connotations.

I am curious. Did anyone else get a bad vibe watching the game that there was something more than basketball going on, especially toward the end of the game with a couple of the WV players?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT