ADVERTISEMENT

you guys paid the refs well last night

Honestly, I was trying to figure out if the one ref was the same from NCAA championship last year where the crew was rated worst in recent history.
In the second quarter, W Virginia got away with a ton of fouls.
The refs would call some fouls, then look at stat sheet and say, swallow whistle, despite fouls on floor.
Clark got offensive fouls after getting hit 3 times on same play at one point.
The offensive fouls were good calls, unfortunately, because we extend our arms. WVU players do a nice job of selling the contact, though, which is something that's clearly taught, because it wasn't just one player.

However, we can't put ourselves in that position when driving. Caitlin figured out that she just needed to rely more on her feet for her step back dribble and not lean so much, so as to end up relying on that shoulder, and by extension forearm, to brace herself on her step back.

The others, more or less, just didn't dribble drive as much, or at all, especially if they picked up an offensive foul.

Reactions: littlez
So here's the thing and sometimes our fans do it as well. Fouls do not ( and should not ) be 50-50. West Virginia has a reputation, and well deserved at that, as a physical, tough defensive team. And they certainly lived up to that. Kudos to them, they did not back down 1 inch. They also fouled a lot as they played aggressive man to man defense 94 feet. We on the other hand sat in a zone and dared them to make shots, which they didn't. West Virginia plays old school John Thompson Georgetown defense. Or current day Iowa St-Houston defense. Nobody was complaining about Houston having 4 guys foul out of the game the other night because they foul a lot. As does West Virginia. Women's basketball officiating is not great but the game was called correctly last night.

So here's the thing and sometimes our fans do it as well. Fouls do not ( and should not ) be 50-50. West Virginia has a reputation, and well deserved at that, as a physical, tough defensive team. And they certainly lived up to that. Kudos to them, they did not back down 1 inch. They also fouled a lot as they played aggressive man to man defense 94 feet. We on the other hand sat in a zone and dared them to make shots, which they didn't. West Virginia plays old school John Thompson Georgetown defense. Or current day Iowa St-Houston defense. Nobody was complaining about Houston having 4 guys foul out of the game the other night because they foul a lot. As does West Virginia. Women's basketball officiating is not great but the game was called correctly last night.
"Correctly" is a bit strong....if called correctly, I doubt WV could've fielded a team halfway thru the second half

Good post.
Level headed at that. So what’s it doing on this board? 😁

Reactions: northernboarderhawk
1_Horrifying-secrets-of-Americas-most-notorious-inbred-family.jpg

I bet you can guess where this family is from!!!! LOL
(the most inbred family in America!!!)
(Hint: WV)
Iowa's not much better man. Just saying.

Reactions: SVRHawkeye
don't try to say you didn't.....the entire sports world saw it and knows it........you won't get the chance against South Carolina...they have more money
Who are you?? Did you watch the game? If you watched the game and didnt see WVU doing hack and bump and hand check and reach around on every defensive possession you are blind. Could of should have been easily 10-15 more fouls called on WVU. Not good defensive basketball with a good reffing crew.

A lot of free throws came late and Moore was close to a thug and she fouled in the last few seconds when the hawks were trying to dribble out the clock iirc.

Baby is one word in your username that is correct

Reactions: onionman1
don't try to say you didn't.....the entire sports world saw it and knows it........you won't get the chance against South Carolina...they have more money
You're cute. Did you even watch the game? West Virginia brought that free throw discrepancy on themselves. Slapping, bumping, grabbing, mugging, the whole damn game. I told my dad early on that their over-physicality was going to get them in foul trouble and put Iowa at the line early and often. Boom. Nobody to blame but themselves. Learn more about the game.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Lucky they didn't call more. Should have had a hook and hold flagrant and a technical for arguing. Your physical style doesn't work against a disciplined team. Quit being a cry-baby.
And add a technical for throwing the ball across the court right in front of the official. They were given breaks on at least two T's that should have been called but weren't. They actual got off easy.

Two other WVU games where the fouls were incredibly lopsided:

WVU shot 34 threes, had 6 fts. ISU shot 17 threes, shot 21 fts

Looks like lots of teams are paying off the refs against WVU!!!

…or WVU plays intentionally over-aggressive defense….

I feel we are getting into race again. A lot of black players don't like a white girl getting attention. It happened last year with LSU, Staley, etc.

I'm a Hawkeye fan, and I think any Hawkeye fan is lying to themselves if they sit here and don't acknowledge the fact Iowa received beneficial treatment from the officials last night. I think many people are blowing it way out of proportion though.

Was the officiating skewed? Yes.

Is Iowa the #1 seed, playing at home, with the best player in women's college basketball? Yes.

So should it really be a shock to anyone that the #1 seed, with the #1 player, with the most watched women's basketball team in history gets the calls at home vs. #8 seeded, neck tattooed West Virginia? No.

Deal with it.

If you read this board enough the poster would know their is a NCAA conspiracy to prevent Iowa football and men’s and women’s basketball from winning national titles.

Some day the documents will be uncovered.

Of course anti Iowa officiating by the NCAA would be the dumbest thing ever because Clark drives ratings to heights never seen before.

You can break down tape of any football and basketball game and see missed calls.

The majority of bitching comes from butt hurt fans.

If and when Iowa loses it will be because the refs let the game get too physical and missed too many calls. Book it. 100% that will be the message on here a 100 times.

What is simply incomprehensible is the blatant inconsistency that I see from the stripes every game. Whether it’s for or against the Hawks it’s become the norm anymore. So seeing the mugging that goes on in many of the games right in front of the stripes with no call on one end and the touch foul on the other that’s an anticipated contact get a whistle……………I’m not surprised anymore. It sucks but it’s reality.

How is this thread 2 pages….the guy drops by, drops a deuce on this message board and then disappears, laughing and you guys keep it going…

That is actually the definition of a Troll….

thanks for the compliment. i’ve been waiting a long time for iowa sports to make the transition into blue blood territory. it appears that day has finally arrived.

Reactions: cmhawks99
What is simply incomprehensible is the blatant inconsistency that I see from the stripes every game. Whether it’s for or against the Hawks it’s become the norm anymore. So seeing the mugging that goes on in many of the games right in front of the stripes with no call on one end and the touch foul on the other that’s an anticipated contact get a whistle……………I’m not surprised anymore. It sucks but it’s reality.
Southern Illinois men at one time were a mid major power. Their philosophy was be over the top physical all the time. Their idea was, be over the top and the refs will not call much because they can’t call it all.

That’s a bit extreme but in concept I think it does work to some degree on the refs.

Also reffing is a tough gig. I don’t envy them. Even at low low levels the coaches and parents work them over something terribly.

It helps to be good enough where you can outplay the opponent past the margin of officiating errors.

Also a very strong player can get away with more because they don’t need to contort their body as much to apply physical force. Shaq could push a guy by just flexing his arm, a weaker player would have to lean into the opponent which draws more attention.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I saw a USA Today column about how there were complaints from NBA players as well as the social media world over the refs doing WVU wrong

Couldn’t be further from the truth.

Only truth about the game was it being the worst basketball I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t even basketball, it was roller derby and rugby.

Every time Iowa had the ball they were mugged. I’d say they let WVU get away with a lot of on the ball bs, and maybe some make up calls when Iowa drove to the basket.

But anyone without bias couldn’t honestly say that Iowa was favored by the refs.
se
WVU clearly wanted to play physical and there’s a cost to that style. They got into foul trouble. I think the refs gave them a lot more slack in first half

If you are an unaffiliated, neutral observer, rewind your recording and watch this game. How the Iowa players got through without broke limbs is amazing.

WV's game plan was to throw up brick walls and alley fights.

If a brawl broke out on the court, I would definitely bet on the WV girls. I don't watch a lot of women's BB, but that is the most physical women's team I have seen. I am still trying to figure out why the face plant of Stulke (sp?) by the large WV center toward the end of the game was not a hook and hold. Lucky there was no injury.

OP, Could you please provide the spreadsheet on what it costs to buy the refs as the tourney progresses, As an Iowa fan I accept the challenge that S Carolina has more money and if you could provide the numbers it would really help us set goals in our buy NCAA’s refs GoFundMe page.
Thank you in advance!

Hannah was lucky to escape without injury. I thought she might have broken some teeth on one of those takedowns. How did it even get to that point? Should have been whistled to a halt, but they just let so much go. Reach, hold, push, hook.

Truly an intentional style of play. If every drive to the hoop is going to be met with fouls, maybe start driving to the hoop? It was late in the game, but Iowa finally figured that much out.

This whole narrative is bringing haters out of the woodwork. Seems Iowa is the defacto underdog now from here on out.

And add a technical for throwing the ball across the court right in front of the official. They were given breaks on at least two T's that should have been called but weren't. They actual got off easy.
Was that where the ball was thrown up in the air and came down and hit her teammate in the head or back?

Southern Illinois men at one time were a mid major power. Their philosophy was be over the top physical all the time. Their idea was, be over the top and the refs will not call much because they can’t call it all.

That’s a bit extreme but in concept I think it does work to some degree on the refs.

Also reffing is a tough gig. I don’t envy them. Even at low low levels the coaches and parents work them over something terribly.

It helps to be good enough where you can outplay the opponent past the margin of officiating errors.

Also a very strong player can get away with more because they don’t need to contort their body as much to apply physical force. Shaq could push a guy by just flexing his arm, a weaker player would have to lean into the opponent which draws more attention.
Don’t disagree. But at least be consistent with what you’re not going to call for both teams. One game this past weekend a team made 26 of 37 freethrows……….. the other team 6 of 9.

The muscular WV player with spiders on her eyes, who seemed to be the team leader, got away with a lot of trash that should have sent her to the locker room. It was like she was testing the officials.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT