ADVERTISEMENT

You know if we just had a decent QB and offense....

Indiana ran a lot of odd fronts as well, and was blitzing from EVERYWHERE. I'm sure we prepared for the odd fronts, but its not what they've been going up against through spring and camp. I think we will see more success against teams that have a more traditional front. I could be wrong.
We had trouble with Wisconsin’s 3-4 for several years too, but have scored 22 and 28 the last two years against them. Hopefully that’s a sign that we’re figuring things out against those particular fronts.

Didn't say Petras has been wonderful. He has not. Didn’t say he'd never have to do more. He likely will. All the football guys I've listened to have said the exact same thing I'm saying. I agree with you AND them in that Iowa's offense hasn't HAD to do much of anything these first 2 games because the defense was so dominant. The jury is still out. Petras and the entire offense could not have played any more conservatively than they have. Why would they not? The Indiana game was over in the first quarter and the ISU game was over shortly after the half. The only time they've been down Petras responded in the 2nd quarter by going 8/10 and led the team to 2 touchdowns and an 11 point lead. What they have not been able to do with these leads is to simply impose their will on either team but I think that's more of a reflection of o-line struggles and the quality of the defenses they faced than anything to do with Petras.

The last game Iowa lost Petras threw the ball 50 times and was intercepted 3 times. They only ran the ball 17 times. They threw it 39 times the week before in a loss to a bad Purdue. Since that game Iowa averages around 25 passes per game and have won 8 in a row by playing great complementary football knowing they have an elite defense and special teams. Petras only has 2 ints that entire streak. They will continue to rely on that defense to win games. We have yet to see if the offense can come up big should the defense fail to dominate. That's all I'm saying.
I've listened this week to football coaches Rick Neuheisel (also former QB coach) and Houston Nutt, former QB and analyst Greg McElroy, current analyst Brock Huard(former Washington QB), and Matt Linehart, and each of them had good things to say about Iowa but also each said the #1 key is improvement at QB. That's good company of knowledgeable people whose judgement I trust.

I think this Iowa team is capable of huge things-- beyond a good performance in the West Division and New year's Day bowl game. They must have better offensive play to be that team, and Petras is the #1 key to that. I'm hoping he can be .

I may be as skeptical as anyone about Petras. But, it's fair to acknowledge that for the first two games this season I believe that he has largely done what's been asked of him. The O has been overall very pedestrian, and unimpressive. Really, though, they just needed to not have major screw ups. With the Iowa D completely dominating the games there was simply no reason for the Iowa O to take more chances.

This little tidbit I pulled off Twitter may surprise some of you, it certainly surprised me.

Iowa has won its last eight games. The #Hawkeyes have scored at least 25 points in every game during its winning streak. It is the first time in school history Iowa has scored 25 points or more in eight straight games.

We'd be 2-0 and ranked in the top 5 in the country. Oh wait... Some of you people are freaking ridiculous. You belong over on the Nebraska board where all they do is bitch about their QB when the entire program is a dumpster 🔥.

Given the dominant nature of Iowa's defense, there was no way that Iowa loses either one of those last 2 games unless the Iowa offense commits a bunch of turnovers. Given the defense they have and the conservative nature of our coaches do you think they were more likely to be telling Petras to go out and make a play or whatever you do, don't turn it over? Ohio State had over 600 yards of offense and lost. Iowa had under 200 and was never threatened after the half. Now I'm not going to tell you that Petras is even close to a finished product because he's not, but it's clear that the direction he's been given so far is you don't need to win games, you just can't lose them. Zero ints in the last 4 games and 2 total in the last 8 ain't no accident.
Ok……..:rolleyes:

I may be as skeptical as anyone about Petras. But, it's fair to acknowledge that for the first two games this season I believe that he has largely done what's been asked of him. The O has been overall very pedestrian, and unimpressive. Really, though, they just needed to not have major screw ups. With the Iowa D completely dominating the games there was simply no reason for the Iowa O to take more chances.
Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT