ADVERTISEMENT

You know what really grinds my gears?

NDallasRuss

HB Legend
Dec 5, 2002
An open thread with anyone with something innocuous to complain about...

image-asset.jpeg

For me: My laptop's fan is on the same side as where the mouse/mousepad is, so I spend the day frustrated by the hot air that blows out onto my hand.

People that run the first 2 seconds of a red light, making the turn lane wait during an already short green light.
This! And also the first person in that turn lane who CREEPS after waiting five seconds to be sure no one is running the light. When you can see everyone did in fact stop but you sit there in a fog. You just kept three cars behind you from getting through but okay. 😡

People who see a sign that says a lane is closing ahead in several miles… So they merge early, and then they get pissed at anybody would use the wide open lane at normal speed instead of going 30mph slower in their lane.

Bonus points if they think illegally straddling both lanes to try and block traffic is a good idea.

Bikers on these bikes riding in the middle of traffic with their kids in the bucket.

People who see a sign that says a lane is closing ahead in several miles… So they merge early, and then they get pissed at anybody would use the wide open lane at normal speed instead of going 30mph slower in their lane.

Bonus points if they think illegally straddling both lanes to try and block traffic is a good idea.
Yeah, I’ve never understood why people don’t drive all the way up to the lane closure then zipper vehicles into the open lane. Iowa needs to promote this to speed up the process of a lane closure and getting through it.

This. People don't know how to zipper merge..

When people, while explaining something to you, add at the end: "does that make sense"?

Like yes, I am just a small child, please explain slower and in a simpler way so I can understand you condescending POS.

How about if I don't understand, I'll say "I don't understand."

Reactions: goldmom
When people, while explaining something to you, add at the end: "does that make sense"?

Like yes, I am just a small child, please explain slower and in a simpler way so I can understand you condescending POS.

I'm guilty of this. In some cases though, it's helpful because otherwise sometimes (esp younger) people can feel like they'd be perceived negatively for not understanding or asking questions. I'm giving them a chance - especially before getting it wrong or coming back afterwards to ask - to make sure everything's clear.

I'm guilty of this. In some cases though, it's helpful because otherwise sometimes (esp younger) people can feel like they'd be perceived negatively for not understanding or asking questions. I'm giving them a chance - especially before getting it wrong or coming back afterwards to ask - to make sure everything's clear.

I understand this train of thought, especially with greenhorns like you say........but its the people that just assume you are a dipshit and talk to you that way even when they don't even know you that pisses me off.

Oh and to end this post formally:

Stupid Question Understand GIF by Your Happy Workplace

Last edited:
When leaving town and traffic merges down to a two lane highway and people hammer on it to get out in front of the pack and then drive a max of 5 mph over the speed limit or don’t use their cruise and are inconsistent with their speed. But the ones that are the worst are the ones a mile or two down the road that have to turn and make you slow down/wait for them to make their turn.
If/when I get to pass them, they get the sarcastic thumbs up.

Also - I've been getting really annoyed at the door to door salespeople that come by in the middle of the day looking to sell me something like changing internet providers, roofing, etc. I used to be pretty understanding - they have a job to do. Now I'm just annoyed by them. I can't believe there's a very high success rate for these people.

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
Also - I've been getting really annoyed at the door to door salespeople that come by in the middle of the day looking to sell me something like changing internet providers, roofing, etc. I used to be pretty understanding - they have a job to do. Now I'm just annoyed by them. I can't believe there's a very high success rate for these people.
Our neighborhood has NO SOLICITING signs at all entries plus our city has an ordinance against it. Most of our neighbors tell the very rare person they’re calling the cops if they don’t leave ASAP.
You shouldn’t have to put up with randoms like that.

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Our neighborhood has NO SOLICITING signs at all entries plus our city has an ordinance against it. Most of our neighbors tell the very rare person they’re calling the cops if they don’t leave ASAP.
You shouldn’t have to put up with randoms like that.
Oh!!! And the random mid-week "bag of ads" that get throw on everyone's lawns every week. Someone comes by and throws that on my lawn, and now it becomes my responsibility to pick up their garbage!

There should be a "no call list" equivalent for all junk mail!

Reactions: JWolf74

To be honest I do this every once in awhile and every time it's not because I think the other person is stupid it's because I feel like I explained it like a moron and wasn't coherent at all so I'm trying to confirm it made sense because I feel I ****ed up not the other way around.

Just landed in Chicago on my way up to Iron mountain Michigan.

People who immediately stand up when the plane gets to the gate.
This! I just flew back from a trip to Colorado. Some asshole not only jumped up early, but made a rush pushing past people to try to get towards the front.

Now normally I assume they are late for a connecting flight and don’t make a stink, but (a) we landed early and (b) we landed after 11pm…there were no other outbound flights. Wait your turn or buy a better seat next time.

I not only courtesy flush for the sake of masking the smell, but the flush mid-push also is vital to masking the sound assuming there are others in the bathroom.

So you are concerned that others might suspect that you are actually defecating in the restroom?... Interesting.

I'll sometimes say 'if that makes' because I'm a dumbass and can't explain things very well and/or don't fully understand my own explanation.

I do this a lot.

In fairness to myself, there are a lot of really stupid people out there and I've found that it is easiest to assume the person I'm explaining things to is an idiot until they prove otherwise.

To be honest I do this every once in awhile and every time it's not because I think the other person is stupid it's because I feel like I explained it like a moron and wasn't coherent at all so I'm trying to confirm it made sense because I feel I ****ed up not the other way around.
Yeah, I think that as nelly explains, most of the time when someone does this, I think its because they don't have confidence in their ability to clearly explain versus thinking the person isn't smart enough to understand.

Reactions: nelly02
People who immediately stand up when the plane gets to the gate.

I don't like the people who immediately stand up and then try and move forward as many rows as they can before everyone else starts standing up. Like, congratulations, you were able to make it from row 16 to row 12 before being stymied by the rest of the passengers.

I really like standing up and then not moving anywhere, so they're screwed. I still let everyone in my row get out before I go, and it slows down the "row jumpers" behind me. NDallasRuss: airplane vigilante.

My wife ALWAYS leaves 2-3 seconds left on the goddam microwave so I have to hit “clear” before entering the time for my food.

Such a bitch 😡
Why don’t you just add the 30 seconds or more as needed. Sounds like she’s doing you a solid.

I don't like the people who immediately stand up and then try and move forward as many rows as they can before everyone else starts standing up. Like, congratulations, you were able to make it from row 16 to row 12 before being stymied by the rest of the passengers.

I really like standing up and then not moving anywhere, so they're screwed. I still let everyone in my row get out before I go, and it slows down the "row jumpers" behind me. NDallasRuss: airplane vigilante.
Add in the people that have their phone volume up and on speaker while talking or playing music on a plane. I had the double whammy of a lady that was playing her music on speakerphone right behind me on a 5:30 am flight last month. Then she was going to try and move to the front of the plane to DFW with a 20 minute early arrival. I got up and threw my leg out to block her. She was trying to push on me till we were able to deplane. I made sure our entire row got to go first before she tried to exit. Once we got into the terminal I told her to buy some ear buds too, wait her turn, and quit being rude, learn airplane etiquette. Tired of people not knowing how to act on a plane.

When leaving town and traffic merges down to a two lane highway and people hammer on it to get out in front of the pack and then drive a max of 5 mph over the speed limit or don’t use their cruise and are inconsistent with their speed. But the ones that are the worst are the ones a mile or two down the road that have to turn and make you slow down/wait for them to make their turn.
If/when I get to pass them, they get the sarcastic thumbs up.
That reminds me of driving 2 lane Iowa highways. The old farts that drive 50 in a 55, but you just can’t get a good spot to pass.

Then you drive through a small town so the speed limit drops to 45, then 35, then 25. The old fart drives… 50 straight through the entire town.

So you don’t have the ability anymore to drive the speed limit in the middle of nowhere. Yet your lightning quick reflexes can go 25 over the speed limit in the middle of a town??

Oh shit, I do this a lot. But it’s not because I think the audience is dumb, it’s because sometimes I worry I’m rambling incoherently 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT