ADVERTISEMENT

You know what really grinds my gears?

An open thread with anyone with something innocuous to complain about...

image-asset.jpeg

For me: My laptop's fan is on the same side as where the mouse/mousepad is, so I spend the day frustrated by the hot air that blows out onto my hand.
When a company moves connection ports for absolutely no reason other to say, "We did something different from last year".

I got a new work laptop and all the connections got moved to the left side. What did I have to do? Buy all new connections and rerun everything that I had neatly cable wrapped.

Thanks, HP!

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
When a company moves connection ports for absolutely no reason other to say, "We did something different from last year".

I got a new work laptop and all the connections got moved to the left side. What did I have to do? Buy all new connections and rerun everything that I had neatly cable wrapped.

Thanks, HP!
I'm with you! I had everything laid out just right, then the new laptop made me go back and relocate everything. Some of those cables were just long enough for the way it was, not the way it is now.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Coworkers who message me and ask if "I have any available bandwidth"
  1. I'm not a computer network,
  2. Stop being coy and just tell me what the fck you want/ need help with
For me, it's when they start off with, "Quick question." Like, "Quick question, can you give me a rundown of all the objects available to me in your data warehouse?" Or, "Quick question, why is my one report from one system with 3 years of data off by $27 compared to a report from this completely separate system?"

For me, it's when they start off with, "Quick question." Like, "Quick question, can you give me a rundown of all the objects available to me in your data warehouse?" Or, "Quick question, why is my one report from one system with 3 years of data off by $27 compared to a report from this completely separate system?"
All right, I'll sometimes start with "I have a quick question I was hoping you could help me with.", and then list like 3-4 questions. They're usually pretty straightforward though.

When people, while explaining something to you, add at the end: "does that make sense"?

Like yes, I am just a small child, please explain slower and in a simpler way so I can understand you condescending POS.

How about if I don't understand, I'll say "I don't understand."
Well maybe they should just speak slower and in shorter sentences for you?

I'm guilty of this. In some cases though, it's helpful because otherwise sometimes (esp younger) people can feel like they'd be perceived negatively for not understanding or asking questions. I'm giving them a chance - especially before getting it wrong or coming back afterwards to ask - to make sure everything's clear.
As a life long Hyperactive ADHD person I say it to make sure I'm making sense to the person I am speaking to.

My wife ALWAYS leaves 2-3 seconds left on the goddam microwave so I have to hit “clear” before entering the time for my food.

Such a bitch 😡
We might be living in parallel universes and have the same wife. 2-3 mornings per week I walk into the kitchen and see the microwave flashing at the 15 second mark. All freaking night that thing flashed away. She makes a lot of tea at night, and whatever time she sets it for is 15 seconds more than she needs, so she opens the door and walks away.
Also, she is known to leave ice cream containers with no more than 1-2 small spoonfuls of ice cream left in them in the freezer.

We might be living in parallel universes and have the same wife. 2-3 mornings per week I walk into the kitchen and see the microwave flashing at the 15 second mark. All freaking night that thing flashed away. She makes a lot of tea at night, and whatever time she sets it for is 15 seconds more than she needs, so she opens the door and walks away.
Also, she is known to leave ice cream containers with no more than 1-2 small spoonfuls of ice cream left in them in the freezer.
Wives. Can’t live with ‘em.

Can’t leave ‘em out on the curb when you’re done with ‘em.

We have a local hardware store that have their employees harass you as soon as you step in, it drives me nuts. If I need help, I’ll find you!
Next time before you go to that store, prepare a list and hand it to them when you walk in. Something like this:
1. 2 ball peen hammers (purple grips)
2. 200 Yard bags
3. 14 cans Behr paint (HORT gold)
4. Yard rake
5. 2,000 wood screws
6. Outdoor lamps
7. One of those wrenches with the grippy thing

Thanks, see you at checkout, I will get the rest

An open thread with anyone with something innocuous to complain about...

image-asset.jpeg

For me: My laptop's fan is on the same side as where the mouse/mousepad is, so I spend the day frustrated by the hot air that blows out onto my hand.
Salt cell generator doesn’t quite keep up for the pool during the summer and I need to add a chlorine puck in the floaty thing.

• Sad
Wives that decide that since you are gone for 3 days, goes through your closet and drawers and organizes them....

Wait....that is good, bitching about my what have yous in the drawer, not so much.

Next time before you go to that store, prepare a list and hand it to them when you walk in. Something like this:
1. 2 ball peen hammers (purple grips)
2. 200 Yard bags
3. 14 cans Behr paint (HORT gold)
4. Yard rake
5. 2,000 wood screws
6. Outdoor lamps
7. One of those wrenches with the grippy thing

Thanks, see you at checkout, I will get the rest
Ball peen

Beavis And Butthead Lol GIF by Paramount+

K&K by any chance?
I avoid K&K unless it is absolutely necessary. Don't know how they can afford having so many employees standing around the store doing nothing except asking customers if they need help finding an item.

Reactions: torbee
When people, while explaining something to you, add at the end: "does that make sense"?

Like yes, I am just a small child, please explain slower and in a simpler way so I can understand you condescending POS.

How about if I don't understand, I'll say "I don't understand."
This one bothers me because I often say it after I don't believe I've been very articulate, implying the failure is on me and not you.

Add in the people that have their phone volume up and on speaker while talking or playing music on a plane. I had the double whammy of a lady that was playing her music on speakerphone right behind me on a 5:30 am flight last month. Then she was going to try and move to the front of the plane to DFW with a 20 minute early arrival. I got up and threw my leg out to block her. She was trying to push on me till we were able to deplane. I made sure our entire row got to go first before she tried to exit. Once we got into the terminal I told her to buy some ear buds too, wait her turn, and quit being rude, learn airplane etiquette. Tired of people not knowing how to act on a plane.
Was this lady white? Asking for research purposes

This one bothers me because I often say it after I don't believe I've been very articulate, implying the failure is on me and not you.
Same. When one is trying communicate something technical or nuanced to someone who does not have the same understanding of said technical nuance, I think it is a good question. If someone says that to me, which happens to me as well in my line of work, I reframe what they told me in my own words to see if it is consistent with what they told told me.

To keep with the "driver" angle: people who you see coming up on your rear in the passing lane so then you get over to let them pass and they get next to you and then slow to your speed. I'm courteous enough to pull over so you can keep your speed. KEEP IT!

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
If you walk into a convenience store with your envelope of powerball tickets/numbers between the hours of 7:00 and 8:00 am, you should immediately have your mouth punched loose.

People who see a sign that says a lane is closing ahead in several miles… So they merge early, and then they get pissed at anybody would use the wide open lane at normal speed instead of going 30mph slower in their lane.

Bonus points if they think illegally straddling both lanes to try and block traffic is a good idea.
I can understand this but also believe the opposite to be true.
You see a merge sign so maybe you should get over asap while still going at your same speed instead of waiting until the last moment causing the other lane to have to slow down to let you in because you don’t move over earlier.
If I am in the slower lane that merged when they should have, I will do everything I can to not let you in because you were too important to merge earlier when you had the chance.
Instead you caused a last second bottleneck.

Someone mentioned a zipper technique for merging. You should be starting the zipper technique well before the lane that needs to merge ends.
A zipper doesn’t work if you try and zip at the very end of the zipper.

Reactions: General Tso
You see a merge sign so maybe you should get over asap while still going at your same speed instead of waiting until the last moment causing the other lane to have to slow down to let you in because you don’t move over earlier.
If I am in the slower lane that merged when they should have, I will do everything I can to not let you in because you were too important to merge earlier when you had the chance.

Someone mentioned a zipper technique for merging. You should be starting the zipper technique well before the lane that needs to merge ends.
I have long held the belief that you were pretty effing stupid. This just cemented it.

Your thoughts on the zipper technique are 100% factually incorrect based on actual research. But go ahead and mess up everybody else’s drive because it “feels like it’s true.”

You grind my gears.

So you are concerned that others might suspect that you are actually defecating in the restroom?... Interesting.

I am not trying to literally hide the fact I am in the stall taking a dump.....I think that secret in out of the bag by the fact the door is shut and you can see my feet....

But I guess I feel better that the stranger in the bathroom only has to hear the sound of a flushing toilet instead of me blowing some explosive diarrhea after a night drinking and Casey's pizza.

Last edited:
  • Haha

This has been studied in the wild and practiced more effectively in other countries. You are 100% wrong. The most efficient way to zipper merge is for all cars to do it at the same point. They also lay out the cones at the zipper point to allow for a nice merge procedure.

Doing it beforehand means the cars behind invariably are slowing down and speeding up as cars randomly merge in. This creates the start/stop bottleneck which leads to unnecessary slowdowns.

Learn how to do it properly and then teach your fellow bad drivers the same.

Oh shit, I do this a lot. But it’s not because I think the audience is dumb, it’s because sometimes I worry I’m rambling incoherently 😂

I guess to clarify, its not the content or the actual asking of the phrase......its more the type of delivery combined with the person delivering it.

Me seeking guidance from someone who I know clearly has more knowledge on a topic and they say that to me in a genuine attempt to confirm I am understanding what they are trying to teach me? I totally get that.

Some snot nosed teenager or anyone for that matter, usually when trying to make a point or explain something that is either wrong or something that is in fact so simple, it doesn't need asked (and then asking it like you're a girl from the movie Clueless or something) bothers me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
This has been studied in the wild and practiced more effectively in other countries. You are 100% wrong. The most efficient way to zipper merge is for all cars to do it at the same point. They also lay out the cones at the zipper point to allow for a nice merge procedure.

Doing it beforehand means the cars behind invariably are slowing down and speeding up as cars randomly merge in. This creates the start/stop bottleneck which leads to unnecessary slowdowns.

Learn how to do it properly and then teach your fellow bad drivers the same.
I guess it depends on what situation we are talking about. Is it already f’d and a bottleneck or are we being proactive to prevent a bottleneck. If it’s already a bottleneck then you’re correct. If it’s not a bottleneck then I’m correct.

But in those instances when traffic is free-flowing through a lane drop (like in the photo below), then the early merge is the best thing to do. Merging early in this situation is safer and helps to maintain the free-flow of traffic because, as mentioned before, drivers who wait until the very last minute often need to slow considerably or even come to a stop in order to merge, or will sometimes just shove themselves into the through lane. Someone in the through lane then has to slow considerably or even stop to allow them to merge, which then causes the person behind them to slow or stop, and the dominoes fall from there and becomes the genesis of a traffic jam or, worse, a rear-end collision. Merging well in advance in that situation allows drivers to find and enter a gap when other drivers only need to make minor adjustments to their spacing while maintaining speed, thus preserving the traffic flow.

Maybe you need to teach your fellow bad drivers how to prevent a bottleneck to begin with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT