ADVERTISEMENT

You know what really grinds my gears?

I guess it depends on what situation we are talking about. Is it already f’d and a bottleneck or are we being proactive to prevent a bottleneck. If it’s already a bottleneck the. You’re correct. If it’s not a bottleneck then I’m correct.

But in those instances when traffic is free-flowing through a lane drop (like in the photo below), then the early merge is the best thing to do. Merging early in this situation is safer and helps to maintain the free-flow of traffic because, as mentioned before, drivers who wait until the very last minute often need to slow considerably or even come to a stop in order to merge, or will sometimes just shove themselves into the through lane. Someone in the through lane then has to slow considerably or even stop to allow them to merge, which then causes the person behind them to slow or stop, and the dominoes fall from there and becomes the genesis of a traffic jam or, worse, a rear-end collision. Merging well in advance in that situation allows drivers to find and enter a gap when other drivers only need to make minor adjustments to their spacing while maintaining speed, thus preserving the traffic flow.
Quit while you’re behind, lol.

Reactions: ping72
Quit while you’re behind, lol.

Like I said in my post, that apparently you can’t read. I’ll add that one to the things that grind my gears.

The upshot
So to summarize (and because many people like things boiled-down to simple bullet points):

• When traffic is already slowing or congested, use the Zipper Merge.Merging early is pointless and even counterproductive in this situation.
  • When traffic is free-flowing, merge early. Doing so in this situation is safer and can prevent congestion from forming.
I guess I prefer to keep things from getting congested in the first place.

An open thread with anyone with something innocuous to complain about...

image-asset.jpeg

For me: My laptop's fan is on the same side as where the mouse/mousepad is, so I spend the day frustrated by the hot air that blows out onto my hand.
You actually made a good choice upgrading to the Pron-Pro edition. That fan is designed to do two main things:
- Warm up your hand before each fap
- Dry out the splooge on your hand after the fap
- I guess it also cools inside components FWIW

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Like I said in my post, that apparently you can’t read. I’ll add that one to the things that grind my gears.

The upshot
So to summarize (and because many people like things boiled-down to simple bullet points):

• When traffic is already slowing or congested, use the Zipper Merge.Merging early is pointless and even counterproductive in this situation.
  • When traffic is free-flowing, merge early. Doing so in this situation is safer and can prevent congestion from forming.
I guess I prefer to keep things from getting congested in the first place.
You do not realize merging early is why things get congested in the first place?

But, yeah… if there are hardly any cars on the road then who cares. But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen one lane backed up for miles with the other one wide open. And then idiots try not to let cars in…because since they’re stupid and waited in a slow line needlessly, everyone else should.

You do not realize merging early is why things get congested in the first place?

But, yeah… if there are hardly any cars on the road then who cares. But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen one lane backed up for miles with the other one wide open. And then idiots try not to let cars in…because since they’re stupid and waited in a slow line needlessly, everyone else should.
It all depends on the situation.
If you have a pretty open road where you could merge well in advance and keep traffic moving but decide you want to wait until the last minute, you are causing the problem as someone will have to stop or slow down for you.
Zipper merging in a bottleneck does work best but that means everyone needs to be doing it and in a way zipper merging is being done in those situations with the mile long lines. It’s just that they are doing it at an earlier point and then again having to do it farther down the road because you want to have a second zipper merge.

If you have a pretty open road where you could merge well in advance and keep traffic moving but decide you want to wait until the last minute, you are causing the problem as someone will have to stop or slow down for you.
Zipper merging in a bottleneck does work best but that means everyone needs to be doing it.
Right.

Zipper merging in a bottleneck does work best but that means everyone needs to be doing it and in a way zipper merging is being done in those situations with the mile long lines. It’s just that they are doing it at an earlier point and then again having to do it farther down the road because you want to have a second zipper merge.
Yes… and I’m saying the idiots doing it early are the ones causing a second merge.

The least amount of distance with 1 lane instead of 2 is just faster.

To keep with the "driver" angle: people who you see coming up on your rear in the passing lane so then you get over to let them pass and they get next to you and then slow to your speed. I'm courteous enough to pull over so you can keep your speed. KEEP IT!
You're not being courteous you're doing what you're legally supposed to. Get out of the left lane after completing your pass. Left lane loungers grind my gears.

I don't like the people who immediately stand up and then try and move forward as many rows as they can before everyone else starts standing up. Like, congratulations, you were able to make it from row 16 to row 12 before being stymied by the rest of the passengers.

I really like standing up and then not moving anywhere, so they're screwed. I still let everyone in my row get out before I go, and it slows down the "row jumpers" behind me. NDallasRuss: airplane vigilante.
Yes box those people out. If they have a flight to catch just let me know and I'll move

To keep with the "driver" angle: people who you see coming up on your rear in the passing lane so then you get over to let them pass and they get next to you and then slow to your speed. I'm courteous enough to pull over so you can keep your speed. KEEP IT!
the people that come flying up behind me, so I get over to let them pass, and then they merge right behind me and keep riding my tail.

instant rage.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Yes… and I’m saying the idiots doing it early are the ones causing a second merge.
And the idiots doing a second merge are causing longer lines.
The least amount of distance with 1 lane instead of 2 is just faster.
No shit? I suppose next you will say the least amount of distance with 2 lanes instead of 3 is faster and so on.
I wonder if that’s why bigger cities have more roads and more lanes to drive in.
You’re so smart ping, someone effin stupid like myself could really learn a lot from you.

Do you understand what I’m saying? 😆

If I'm constantly passing people on the right then I'm good, no?
Then typically all good but if nothing on right then you should get over. Or if someone behind you wants to go faster then you should get over. There are people who think I'm doing 5 over and passing so no need to yield to the guy behind me who wants to go 10, but I think we are on the same page.

Reactions: Tailgater371
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT