ADVERTISEMENT

Younger, Sicker, Quicker: The Changing Face of the U.S. Pandemic

As I said in another thread, just wait until schools reopen, and the virus has all of those young, unvaccinated bodies in close proximity to each other to spread around in.

Patients will be younger relative to previous demographics of covid infections because they constitute a much high proportion of persons able to be infected now.

And I'm still not seeing a lot of evidence that delta is actually any more deadly. (just much more infectious)

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
As I said in another thread, just wait until schools reopen, and the virus has all of those young, unvaccinated bodies in close proximity to each other to spread around in.
Yeah we did that in Iowa the last 12 months. Pretty sure most normal kids had Covid by now.

That doesn't necessarily counter anything I just said. It's more infectious, that much is clear, and we still have plenty of unvaccinated people susceptible to it. Being much more infectious is a big deal to public health, even if individual outcomes aren't any different.

Looser restrictions + a virus that spreads more easily could do absolutely what you're seeing there.

There was one study that I read that indicated it may be more deadly, but the quality/quantity of study isn't there yet to confirm anything. (from my research thus far)

There is some indication that the Delta variant may also result in more severe disease. A study in Scotland, published in the Lancet, found the hospitalization rate of patients with that variant was about 85 percent higher than that of people with the Alpha variant. But because of the time lag between hospitalizations and deaths, there is not enough data to say whether or not Delta is more deadly than other variants. “The thing we were surprised by is just how rapidly the Delta variant took hold,” says Aziz Sheikh, a professor of primary care at the University of Edinburgh and lead author of the Lancet study. “We were again in an exponential phase of growth of cases.” This should be a lesson for the U.S., he says.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I think the experiment that's about to unfold with delta -- provided it actually does cause another appreciable wave of infections -- will be really interesting to watch. It should move a bunch of people off the fence in regards to vaccines in the US, I would think. The die hard anti-vaccers will then really stand-out.

(or maybe I'm expecting too much)

Reactions: sob5
I think the experiment that's about to unfold with delta -- provided it actually does cause another appreciable wave of infections -- will be really interesting to watch. It should move a bunch of people off the fence in regards to vaccines in the US, I would think. The die hard anti-vaccers will then really stand-out.

(or maybe I'm expecting too much)
I really wish I could agree with your assessment. Cases taking off in Louisiana and my Trump-luving in-laws - including my nearly 80 year old MiL - still refuse to get jabbed.

I really wish I could agree with your assessment. Cases taking off in Louisiana and my Trump-luving in-laws - including my nearly 80 year old MiL - still refuse to get jabbed.
Yeah, may be more of them than we'd imagine. I'm starting to think it's really not anti-vacc sentiment, but more-so idiotic poli-tribal attachment that has been woven wayyy too deeply into many people's identities.

Of course their man, Trump, actually had the vaccine. Maybe if he was vocally supporting it? Who knows.

Yeah, may be more of them than we'd imagine. I'm starting to think it's really not anti-vacc sentiment, but more-so idiotic poli-tribal attachment that has been woven wayyy too deeply into many people's identities.

Of course their man, Trump, actually had the vaccine. Maybe if he was vocally supporting it? Who knows.
We had a family friend couple where both ended up in the hospital. One was in really bad shape and finally released. They said it was absolutely horrible and neither were vaccinated. So we asked if they would get vaccinated now and they confidently said no way. "It changes your DNA!" Asked where they heard it from and they said from doctors. We know the primary physician and there is zero chance she told them that. Just a lost cause for the cult. Really eye opening that they believe some quack on Fox or Facebook despite being extremely ill.

And that's exactly what needs to happen. 75,000,000 people in the U.S. 18 and under so far Covid has killed 340 with half of those already having a serious illness before getting infected.

And that's exactly what needs to happen. 75,000,000 people in the U.S. 18 and under so far Covid has killed 340 with half of those already having a serious illness before getting infected.
How do I make an appointment at your clinic, doc?

We had a family friend couple where both ended up in the hospital. One was in really bad shape and finally released. They said it was absolutely horrible and neither were vaccinated. So we asked if they would get vaccinated now and they confidently said no way. "It changes your DNA!" Asked where they heard it from and they said from doctors. We know the primary physician and there is zero chance she told them that. Just a lost cause for the cult. Really eye opening that they believe some quack on Fox or Facebook despite being extremely ill.
10s of Millions more.

You know an article is garbage when it states:

“Historically, outcomes are vastly better for younger patients, but they’re not risk free. Nationwide, patients 75 and over with Covid died about 16% of the time compared with 25-39 year olds who died less than 2% of the time, according to March data from Premier Inc., a health-care consultancy.”

16%? Get real. And claiming “less than 2%”. Is it 1.9% or .001%? What a joke. Those numbers assume everybody who got Covid tested positive. We didn’t catch a 1/4 of the positives.

Last edited:
Reactions: TylerJ76
16%? Get real.

That's exactly what the numbers show.

As of July 19th:

13% of 75-84 yr olds who were diagnosed with Covid died
>25% of those 84+ died

You can look up the most current numbers for yourself, here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT