ADVERTISEMENT

Your 2022-2023 Starting Hawk Lineup and how will they do:

Fosu is going to be good but I truly believe we are better 125, 141, 165, 197 and hwt. Murin is super close to beating Sasso or being rd of 12 again. Sasso & Romero are top 3 guys but other than that I just don’t see anything that is better than top 5 maybe Kharchia but 165 is brutal this year so the margin for error is razor thin bottom line we are better there anyway. I could see 7 or maybe and that’s a big maybe 8 AAs for them but lower end ones for most of them.
if shrive or teske do not beat their freshman 133, we have a problem

Also there could be a bit of a surprise at 184 not saying Assad does not deserve the spot he is just going to have to earn it
Who?! Are we talking Wilson? Think Assad needs challenged for sure - hasn’t reached his potential yet whether is be injury or just lack of determination.

I agree with Lee should stay 125 where he has been best. Nothing against Teske/Schreiver but a healthy Ayala definitely outscores them.
That would depend on Ayala bringing horsepower to 133 which is yet to be seen at 125 with him.

Who?! Are we talking Wilson? Think Assad needs challenged for sure - hasn’t reached his potential yet whether is be injury or just lack of determination.
I think Wilson moved on. Glazier would be my guess.

He has had 2 years in the room, and wick leaves this year. He just beat hall in freestyle. I think the only dudes who Kennedy can't beat right now are griffith o Toole and maybe kharchla and amine
Kennedy beat Kharchla a couple times in high school so I’m not sure why you think Kharchla may be out reach. Amine was 20-7 last year. He had a nice end of year but he’s not elite like O’Toole.

He has had 2 years in the room, and wick leaves this year. He just beat hall in freestyle. I think the only dudes who Kennedy can't beat right now are griffith o Toole and maybe kharchla and amine
Kennedy is good enough to beat everybody! Will he remains to be seen? For those using the BULL as an example. You seem to forget he was a FOUR time B1G Champion!!! He beat some of the best doing this. Some injuries. covid, and not being able to put it all together kept him from being a NCAA Champion, but implying he was not good enough is dumb, and Kennedy may be even better!

Last edited:
Kennedy beat Kharchla a couple times in high school so I’m not sure why you think Kharchla may be out reach. Amine was 20-7 last year. He had a nice end of year but he’s not elite like O’Toole.
Amine beat Kharchla, Hamiti and Marinelli in March 2022. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandor45
Kennedy, as good as he already has been, is going to put a branding iron on the 165lb. weight class this year. I still don’t think some of our fans realize what we have in a healthy and starving Patrick Kennedy.

And as far as Carr goes. PK is a match up nightmare for him. I expect that to be the match that puts everyone on notice about PK.
can you explain why you think that is? i would have said the reverse. i think carr's speed and length will give PK trouble. i think carr will live on his legs and give him some scrambling problems. curious about your perspective.

Kennedy, as good as he already has been, is going to put a branding iron on the 165lb. weight class this year. I still don’t think some of our fans realize what we have in a healthy and starving Patrick Kennedy.

And as far as Carr goes. PK is a match up nightmare for him. I expect that to be the match that puts everyone on notice about PK.
I have been high on PK since day 1 . Glad your starting to as well. He's always in good position and wrestle where his is good.

He also lost to Marinelli and Julian Ramirez, Bubba Wilson, and Brady Berge.
amine is weird because he's almost two different guys. the postseason amine was way different than the amine that lost to berge. and then he looked bad again at the US Open a couple months later. when he's on, he's elite. just has a big gap between floor and ceiling.

amine is weird because he's almost two different guys. the postseason amine was way different than the amine that lost to berge. and then he looked bad again at the US Open a couple months later. when he's on, he's elite. just has a big gap between floor and ceiling.
Yeah, I edited my post to say those three good wins were all in March.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I have been high on PK since day 1 . Glad your starting to as well. He's always in good position and wrestle where his is good.
“Starting to”? I’ve been as high as can be on Kennedy since the first time I saw him come in for a workout while still in HS and put it on a couple of guys. I knew from that moment how special he was. I haven’t ever been shy about my thoughts on this.

Last edited:
The big difference with Kharchla is his dad intentionally held him back from wrestling until he was much older than most. As a result his upward trajectory has been huge in a short manner of time. His ceiling is super high and I am not sure we have even seen him near that ceiling yet.

Amine is now a 2xAA and also has a very strong pedigree like Kharchla. I expect a similar trajectory like his cousin(Myles).

With that said, I don't think anyone is really saying Kennedy can't beat all these guys, including O'Toole. However having to beat at least 3 of them to place top 4 is going to be beyond hard. Plus, he has yet to wrestle NCAA's. It is really hard to pick a new guy over returning AA's. They have been there and done it and now know exactly what it is like and what to do to improve on that.

Again, it isn't that anyone on here thinks Kennedy isn't great. I think everyone pretty much agrees he is special. However, there are 6-8 other guys at that weight that have an argument that they are just as special or even better...

The big difference with Kharchla is his dad intentionally held him back from wrestling until he was much older than most. As a result his upward trajectory has been huge in a short manner of time. His ceiling is super high and I am not sure we have even seen him near that ceiling yet.

Amine is now a 2xAA and also has a very strong pedigree like Kharchla. I expect a similar trajectory like his cousin(Myles).

With that said, I don't think anyone is really saying Kennedy can't beat all these guys, including O'Toole. However having to beat at least 3 of them to place top 4 is going to be beyond hard. Plus, he has yet to wrestle NCAA's. It is really hard to pick a new guy over returning AA's. They have been there and done it and now know exactly what it is like and what to do to improve on that.

Again, it isn't that anyone on here thinks Kennedy isn't great. I think everyone pretty much agrees he is special. However, there are 6-8 other guys at that weight that have an argument that they are just as special or even better...
This is as fair and objective as you could put it. Nice post.

can you explain why you think that is? i would have said the reverse. i think carr's speed and length will give PK trouble. i think carr will live on his legs and give him some scrambling problems. curious about your perspective.
Like Corby mentioned, not many are better than wrestling where they’re good and staying in his positions better than Patrick. He will crowd Carr and force him into bad shots. He’ll also have a distinct hand fighting, size and strength advantage. And far as scrambling goes, I’ve never viewed that as a huge strength of Carr. I think if there’s scrambling situations, it will likely be due to PKs ability to limit clean finishes from Carr. I wish like hell Kem was still going to be around to help continue to hone PKs few weaknesses.. Just an idiots opinion.

Like Corby mentioned, not many are better than wrestling where they’re good and staying in his positions better than Patrick. He will crowd Carr and force him into bad shots. He’ll also have a distinct hand fighting, size and strength advantage. And far as scrambling goes, I’ve never viewed that as a huge strength of Carr. I think if there’s scrambling situations, it will likely be due to PKs ability to limit clean finishes from Carr. I wish like hell Kem was still going to be around to help continue to hone PKs few weaknesses.. Just an idiots opinion.
that's a good argument. i'd really like kennedy to get to his underhook to take away carr's attack hand and close space, then punish him in short offense. that's where kennedy is best. i think his ceiling this year will depend on his ability to finish cleanly.

that's a good argument. i'd really like kennedy to get to his underhook to take away carr's attack hand and close space, then punish him in short offense. that's where kennedy is best. i think his ceiling this year will depend on his ability to finish cleanly.
Oh I’m sure he will. His under hooks are his bread and butter. He’s going to frustrate the hell out of a lot of guys that way this year and alot of heads are going to be bounced off the mat. I know we’ve had a lot of guys with “heavy hands” come through the program, but PK is already in elite company there. Young man throws absolute sledgehammers. He reminds me a ton of a bigger Eric Juergens.

Reactions: wrstlrev and el dub
Oh I’m sure he will. His under hooks are his bread and butter. He’s going to frustrate the hell out of a lot of guys that way this year and alot of heads are going to be bounced off the mat. I know we’ve had a lot of guys with “heavy hands” come through the program, but PK is already in elite company there. Young man throws absolute sledgehammers. He reminds me a ton of a bigger Eric Juergens.
I don't know about that. The top guys at 184 figured out how to stop Trent Hidlay's underhooks and I can't say that PK is quite to that level yet. 165 has a lot more top guys than 184 and I would expect them all to know how to negate underhooks, or at least minimze them.

What I would rather see is Iowa guys, across the board, develop some offense outside ties. As good as most Iowa guys are at short offense, they are equally lost in space. Granted, usually only the best are able to exploit it, but RBY did it to DeSanto, several did it to Alex, a bunch did it to Murin, Young, Brands and Assad. Warner and Cass were just lucky that almost all 197's and 285's wrestle that way anyway.

Kemerer was really the only recent guy with solid offense from space and even though it even works to slow down Lee, he is just so good that he almost always can close the distance.

Simply put, I worry that all the neutral eggs are too closely stored in one basket. The best teams scout now phenomenally well and implement that in March. Iowa desperately needs an answer to this...

I don't know about that. The top guys at 184 figured out how to stop Trent Hidlay's underhooks and I can't say that PK is quite to that level yet. 165 has a lot more top guys than 184 and I would expect them all to know how to negate underhooks, or at least minimze them.

What I would rather see is Iowa guys, across the board, develop some offense outside ties. As good as most Iowa guys are at short offense, they are equally lost in space. Granted, usually only the best are able to exploit it, but RBY did it to DeSanto, several did it to Alex, a bunch did it to Murin, Young, Brands and Assad. Warner and Cass were just lucky that almost all 197's and 285's wrestle that way anyway.

Kemerer was really the only recent guy with solid offense from space and even though it even works to slow down Lee, he is just so good that he almost always can close the distance.

Simply put, I worry that all the neutral eggs are too closely stored in one basket. The best teams scout now phenomenally well and implement that in March. Iowa desperately needs an answer to this...
100%

the "i focus on what i do, not what he does" mindset is from the stone age. if you aren't scouting and gameplanning, you are behind. that's one aspect the hawks have gotten their asses to handed them in march. how many close matches/rematches have they lost the last couple tournies. got to adapt.

i think this as much as anything accounted for marinelli's stuggles at ncaa's and decline in offense late in his career. he had 2 set ups, both posts. left hand post to his hi-c and double. overtie post (some call it a perry sweep) to his single. very rarely hit anything other than these two set ups. they're very easy to scout and the elite guys just sat on them the whole match.

the "i focus on what i do, not what he does" mindset is from the stone age. if you aren't scouting and gameplanning, you are behind. that's one aspect the hawks have gotten their asses to handed them in march. how many close matches/rematches have they lost the last couple tournies. got to adapt.

This is a Crash Davis/Nuke Laloosh statement made by many wrestlers. They have a media room for film sessions.

This is a Crash Davis/Nuke Laloosh statement made by many wrestlers. They have a media room for film sessions.
i figured they do some film study, but i also think the gameplanning has been a weak point for this staff. nit-picky because it's an elite program, but it's part of the difference between winning once in the last decade or 9 times. psu seems to have the perfect gameplan and execution on friday and saturday night. there's some insane that that they're like 30-1 in the semis over the last several years or something like that.

I love the enthusiasm, but this one isn't happening. I don't see anyone beating O'Toole. He's had an off season to get healthy. There was something going on last year but nobody was talking about it, at least outside the program. PK could very well finish high at NCAA's, but I don't see him or anyone else beating O'Toole.

I love the enthusiasm, but this one isn't happening. I don't see anyone beating O'Toole. He's had an off season to get healthy. There was something going on last year but nobody was talking about it, at least outside the program. PK could very well finish high at NCAA's, but I don't see him or anyone else beating O'Toole.
To say “this one isn’t happening” is disingenuous at best. That said, Keegan is the one guy in the weight class where I’ll definitely have to see it to believe it.

To say “this one isn’t happening” is disingenuous at best. That said, Keegan is the one guy in the weight class where I’ll definitely have to see it to believe it.
I think Keegan finishes 2nd in Hodge voting, behind Lee. I don't see him losing this season, like last year. Could very well be wrong, but I doubt it.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I concur…he’s an animal with super funk skills. Can’t see him losing next year. But do see PK figuring out the others before March…top 4.

Reactions: WrestleEveryDay
PK doesn't take losing well so I expect that some early season rookie losses will keep him up at night and game planning to avenge them. After he lost to the Bull at Luther last year he was pissed, he totally thought that was his spot. Expect a few faces to bounce off the mat later in the year after he adjust to being the man.

Are we all missing the part where PK lost to Peyton Hall? He's no sure-fire top 4 guy right now. Can't wait to be proven wrong, but yeah, that weight class could have a special guy like PK not placing.

At the same time, I could see him beating amine, kharchla and amine. Man... what a weight class.

Reactions: Tcalumet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT