ADVERTISEMENT

Your 2022-2023 Starting Hawk Lineup and how will they do:

Are we all missing the part where PK lost to Peyton Hall? He's no sure-fire top 4 guy right now. Can't wait to be proven wrong, but yeah, that weight class could have a special guy like PK not placing.
He also beat Hall a few months ago two straight times at U23. The only takedown he gave up In those two matches was off his own shot, it looked like he stumbled and Hall hipped him down. This was after taking out Peyton Robb in the semis. He looked damn good at U23’s.

I expect PK to climb the ranks fast. I’m not at all worried about how he will finish. 165 is loaded but I wouldn’t be surprised if PK’s mentioned among the other “hammers” at that weight by the end of the season.

Are we all missing the part where PK lost to Peyton Hall? He's no sure-fire top 4 guy right now. Can't wait to be proven wrong, but yeah, that weight class could have a special guy like PK not placing.

PK lost an OT match to him at the Scuffle. Just beat him twice at U23. Lived on Hall's legs in the first match scoring 4 TDs, physically controlled him in both. Looked like the smaller guy against both Hall and Robb.

Are we all missing the part where PK beat Peyton Hall twice at U23’s this summer? Hall didn’t sniff a takedown in the second match.
Big difference between free and folk. PK has far more experience in free than Hall does. In folk Hall can scramble circles around kennedy. I think it’s close either way.

Hall wrestled 152 as a senior in hs not cutting. He’s def not a big 165. I don’t think either one of them is small. PK is short tho.

Its PK’s third year. If he doesn’t AA I’d say that’s a disappointment.

Can he make 57? I heard we need someone there and he should be favored to wrestle Saturday night at that weight. Serious though, he is the type you think will win every time he goes out there, no matter who is facing, well cept the Bull last year. I would think he is training some with Marinelli which should really help him.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Can he make 57? I heard we need someone there and he should be favored to wrestle Saturday night at that weight. Serious though, he is the type you think will win every time he goes out there, no matter who is facing, well cept the Bull last year. I would think he is training some with Marinelli which should really help him.
PK gave The Bull all he wanted.

In the immortal words of Allen Iverson...

"Freestyle?! We talkin bout Freestyle?!"

This board is a bit more cultured than that. Hall's best weapon, and PK's biggest weakness right now is folk scrambling.
You clearly didn’t watch the matches…. Sit this out until you do.

Not to mention PK was wrestling at much less than 100% at the Scuffle…. You’re sources should’ve told you this.

You clearly didn’t watch the matches…. Sit this out until you do.

Not to mention PK was wrestling at much less than 100% at the Scuffle…. You’re sources should’ve told you this.

Yeah. I did actually, and especially the pin - that doesn't happen in folk. Do you want to sit in the chair instead?

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
PK is a 165

Reactions: Gobblin
Yea, it was Robb he pinned in the semis…thanks for the offline correction. Too many damn Peytons.

But yea, it reminded me of Spencer’s folkstyle <ahem> fall over NATO. Robb tried to leg dive and that was that.
Every single TD PK scored in that tournament made zero difference if they would’ve been in folk as well. I remember thinking that as I watched it live. He did benefit from some push out points, but he was absolutely abusing Hall and it definitely would’ve resulted in at least a couple stall calls in folk. He won that tournament because he was the best wrestler there, in any style, period.

100%

the "i focus on what i do, not what he does" mindset is from the stone age. if you aren't scouting and gameplanning, you are behind. that's one aspect the hawks have gotten their asses to handed them in march. how many close matches/rematches have they lost the last couple tournies. got to adapt.

i think this as much as anything accounted for marinelli's stuggles at ncaa's and decline in offense late in his career. he had 2 set ups, both posts. left hand post to his hi-c and double. overtie post (some call it a perry sweep) to his single. very rarely hit anything other than these two set ups. they're very easy to scout and the elite guys just sat on them the whole match.
Yip, Carl is the master of scouting and gameplanning. One of the reasons PSU is so good.

Dude’s a stud, no doubt. But, 165 is a meat grinder and The Bull couldn’t take better than 5th. I would be happy with 7th and another year to build confidence off AAing in that field…
It's a meat grinder for sure - but you don't have to wrestle all of them.

It's a meat grinder for sure - but you don't have to wrestle all of them.
Every quarterfinal match the Bull ever had was a stud and it only gets harder after that. To place top 4 you almost guaranteed will have to beat at least 3 of the top 8 guys because I just don't see any of them getting upset. They are all just that good...

Every quarterfinal match the Bull ever had was a stud and it only gets harder after that. To place top 4 you almost guaranteed will have to beat at least 3 of the top 8 guys because I just don't see any of them getting upset. They are all just that good...
165 last year was nuts! Looking at the bracket, O'Toole had Valencia, Kharchla, Amine, Griffith. Brutal draw for a 2 seed and this season it will be a tougher weight! Wick, taking 3rd, had to beat Marinelli and Amine on the backside.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrstlrev
I understand and agree with you - my point was simply while it may be 8-10 deep, you don't have to beat them all. You never know, a favorable style matchup here and there and viola, a higher place finish than maybe anyone could have expected.

I really want to work on my Likes to Posts ratio and I think this is the type of topic to get this DONE!

With the recent addition of Teske, I am ready to make some bold predictions. I admittedly think PSU is just too far ahead to catch, but I now believe Iowa can hold off ASU and tOSU for 2nd.

125: Lee I can't wait to see this guy finish out his career in top fashion. I have a hard time seeing anyone go 7 minutes with him. 1st place-28 points

133: Teske I like Schriever, but I gotta go with Teske having the stones to come to Iowa knowing what will need to be done to be the man. 7th place-8.5 pts

141: Woods This kid is really hard to score on. A 3-2 loss to Nick Lee confirms that. With a little TNT coach-up, he is the man to beat. 1st place-22 points

149: Murin Is it wrong of me to want him to finish R12 again, simply because I like uniformity? Honestly, I really want to see him AA, but I see R12 again. R12-4 points

157: Reyna I just can't see anyone scoring points at NCAA's. Hopefully someone proves themselves during the season and then proves me wrong in March. (0-2)-Zero points

165: Kennedy Brutal weight, but this kid wrestles kind of brutal to begin with. This weight is so stacked, that I can't pick him to finish higher than the Bull ever did. 7th place-8 points

174: Brands If he could wrestle the way he climbs mountains, he would be a surefire AA. But, for now, R12 is all I can predict. R12-3 points

184: Assad He shows some very nice flashes. But, I need to see more consistency. Especially in March. R16-2.5 points

197: Warner I like this guy. He has become my favorite wrestler on the team. Hate his style all you want, with the Ford Focus set for Prison, this is your NCAA Champ! 1st place-22 points

285: Cass Please tell me last year's injury was minor and he comes back 100%. If so, and Gable is back wrestling, he is the 2nd best guy at the weight if he can learn how to beat Parris. 3rd for now-17.5 points

So, that is 115.5. Pretty damn good in most years. But, PSU is almost certainly getting 100+ from RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean and Kerkvliet. They aren't going to get 5 AA's from their young, unproven guys, but at least 1 of them will AA and they will get a bonus win or 2 from the rest. I just don't see them scoring under 120 when the rubber hits the road.

As far as the race for 2nd goes, ASU is tough as nails, but I don't see a Champ on that team. 6 or 7 mid level AA's is enough to get the a Team Trophy, but I just don't see them scoring over 100. tOSU is the true Wild Card. Ryan has gone on record as saying he will put his best guy(with the exception of Feldman) on the mat, regardless of age. He truly thinks they have a shot at winning it all.

I have to admit, this lineup has the potential to be a monster:

125: Heinselman
133: Bouzakis
141: D'Emilio
149: Sasso
157: Gallagher
165: Kharchla
174: Smith
184: Romero
197: Hoffman
285: Orndorff

Thoughts? Don't forget to click on the like button ;)
Since "Carl" moved to Centre County Iowa has had 3 finalists 4 times, and multiple champs once, 2 in 2010. To count 3 individual Iowa wrestling champions Iowa much reach back to 2014, Lee, Clark and Ramos. 3 finalists certainly seems doable, and a great tournament would be 2 champions with a hundred points scored. A more realistic guess would be a couple finalists, one champ with 5 or 6 AAs.

As far as finishing second to Penn State, the Hawks have never been good enough to be the second best team when Penn State wins the title. I have no idea if it will be Ohio State, ASU or somebody else, but the best guess is someone other than the Hawks will be the best team not named Penn State.

Since "Carl" moved to Centre County Iowa has had 3 finalists 4 times, and multiple champs once, 2 in 2010. To count 3 individual Iowa wrestling champions Iowa much reach back to 2014, Lee, Clark and Ramos. 3 finalists certainly seems doable, and a great tournament would be 2 champions with a hundred points scored. A more realistic guess would be a couple finalists, one champ with 5 or 6 AAs.

As far as finishing second to Penn State, the Hawks have never been good enough to be the second best team when Penn State wins the title. I have no idea if it will be Ohio State, ASU or somebody else, but the best guess is someone other than the Hawks will be the best team not named Penn State.
We won't be good enough for 2nd, we'll be too good and finish first.

Spencer will score 28, Woods 22, Warner will beat Dean and score 21. Cass will place higher than Kerk. PK will be top four. That should match up well with your top 5 guys.

It'll then be down to the 2nd 5. I like our guys.

See you in March

Spencer will score 28, Woods 22, Warner will beat Dean and score 21. Cass will place higher than Kerk. PK will be top four. That should match up well with your top 5 guys.

See you in March
Spencer will do Spencer things. Other than that you are sticking with what did not happen before, well that is gonna happen this time. Best of luck with that.
Finishing second when PSU wins is not something Iowa has been good enough to do. 3 champs in a single year? Yeah, when was the last time that happened? The thing I love about HR Hawk fans is the faith they have in their fantasies.

See you in March

I appreciate your optimism. WFL bet?

Spencer will do Spencer things. Other than that you are sticking with what did not happen before, well that is gonna happen this time. Best of luck with that.
Finishing second when PSU wins is not something Iowa has been good enough to do. 3 champs in a single year? Yeah, when was the last time that happened? The thing I love about HR Hawk fans is the faith they have in their fantasies.
You've got a serious case of inferiority. Your presence here is the first indication and your 2nd sentence is the 2nd.

We were the top rated team in 2020

We won in 2021

You won in 2022, when we had serious injuries.

I believe we win in 2023, we'll see pal

Ok, go back in your Den and lick yourself

I LOVE your full committment to being a douche on an IOWA board when someone picks IOWA to take 2nd to your own team!!! Do you not see how dickish that is? Instead of saying, yeah even a prediction on a major rival's board picks us to win. You have to deficate on Iowa being picked 2nd?

Make ZERO mistake, if healthy, Iowa is CLEARLY the 2nd best team in DI. The 3 guys I picked to win it all are ranked 1st at 125(by a country mile), 2nd at 141 and 2nd at 197. Not sure how it is ANY type of stretch to pick them all to win...

But, shame on me to pick them 2nd when even the updated, recent ranking sources hav them 2nd as well...

Intermat: PSU, Iowa, ASU, tOSU
Wrestlestat: PSU, Iowa, Missouri, ASU
FLO: Hasn't done their's since March

Finally, who exactly is going to leapfrog Iowa? When I did the math, it honestly wasn't even close.

Iowa Intermat individual rankings:

125: Lee-1st
133: Schriever-14th
141: Woods-2nd
149: Murin-8th
157: Reyna-32nd
165: Kennedy-17th
174: Brands-15th
184: Assad-13th
197: Warner-2nd
285: Cass-4th

ADVERTISEMENT