ADVERTISEMENT

Your guys take on the TOM article about transfers

I don't have too much of a problem with them bring up DeSanto's last match. The thing is. 1) they don't mention any of his big wins. Then at the end say "it remains to be seen if he will fit in."

Nothing like that with anyone else. Certainly not a big deal. Can't wait to see this kid kicking A next year!!!

I don't have too much of a problem with them bring up DeSanto's last match. The thing is. 1) they don't mention any of his big wins. Then at the end say "it remains to be seen if he will fit in."

Nothing like that with anyone else. Certainly not a big deal. Can't wait to see this kid kicking A next year!!!

Nothing they said about him was false no matter where he transferred, so it doesn’t bug me at all.

Reactions: el dub
TNT are in your face wrestlers. They are great at teaching wrestlers ways to channel this energy. why would their tutelage of AD be in question? Guilty until proven innocent? I can feel the set up jab.

Reactions: el dub and IRONBIRD
Don’t see a jab, given the unusual circumstances of desantos end of year. No doubt tnt are great coaches, but I am curious to see whether the whole “mentor” theory plays out assuming ad’s issues in fact have a medical root to them.

Separately, this got me contemplating what seems to be the emerging free agency trend which is of course not unique to the hawks. Can’t say I like it - maybe it’s my quaint belief in four year college programs. But I can’t help but think it just contributes to competitive oligopoly like the nba. Or maybe it’s just a symptom of it and the talent pool isn’t as deep as it is portrayed. Perhaps only a handful of guys can actually make a difference.

How about speculating on the positive side? I wonder if AD’s parents, were involved? Did the wrestling staff confer with medical and psychological physicians?
Point is, there has been an abundance of surface issues concerning AD.
The Whole Iowa Wrestling staff did their due diligence. Until such time there is an issue, there is not an issue.
Hence the short set up left jab.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
How about speculating on the positive side? I wonder if AD’s parents, were involved? Did the wrestling staff confer with medical and psychological physicians?
Point is, there has been an abundance of surface issues concerning AD.
The Whole Iowa Wrestling staff did their due diligence. Until such time there is an issue, there is not an issue.
Hence the short set up left jab.
I’m sure they did and that they did so sincerely, as they did with Downey, and I truly wish all the best of luck. Seeing others achieve their potential is a source of great joy, and I think ad is potentially a “captures the imagination” kind of talent. And if ad’s issues are not medical, then shame on me and apologies to him and his family.

But in virtually any personnel decision (including ones in my own business) involving high risk/reward people, there is often a very difficult-to-resist temptation to think “we can change him/her for the better in our environment”. Unfortunately in my experience it’s often just wrong. But who knows, if there is a medical issue here and it’s being recognized and dealt with as such, maybe that makes it easier to deal with effectively. Hopefully so. But if it’s medical and dealt with thru “mentoring” which some seem to have suggested as the magic bullet, well, you may need a little good luck as well. Personally I don’t think one can mentor ones way thru mental health issues any more than one can mentor ones way thru a broken leg.

I’m sure they did and that they did so sincerely, as they did with Downey, and I truly wish all the best of luck. Seeing others achieve their potential is a source of great joy, and I think ad is potentially a “captures the imagination” kind of talent. And if ad’s issues are not medical, then shame on me and apologies to him and his family.

But in virtually any personnel decision (including ones in my own business) involving high risk/reward people, there is often a very difficult-to-resist temptation to think “we can change him/her for the better in our environment”. Unfortunately in my experience it’s often just wrong. But who knows, if there is a medical issue here and it’s being recognized and dealt with as such, maybe that makes it easier to deal with effectively. Hopefully so. But if it’s medical and dealt with thru “mentoring” which some seem to have suggested as the magic bullet, well, you may need a little good luck as well. Personally I don’t think one can mentor ones way thru mental health issues any more than one can mentor ones way thru a broken leg.

LOL I disagree. Mental health isn’t necessarily the same as a “medical,” issue.

https://news.theopenmat.com/blog/20...ail&utm_term=0_0b256fb8bf-7d9b12ad9a-33161177

Just wanted to get everyones opinion see if the way I am reading it is off base or not? Seems like(at least to me) that everyone takes a little jab at IOWA. Maybe I am getting too thin skinned in my old age!?!?!
You have to kinda wonder about a guy that gets a 6th season and then transfers. If I'm right you don't get a 6th season without your present school doing a lot of the dirty work. Of course, I don't know all the circumstances of his seeking the extra year.

My friend, Respectfully, i could not possibly disagree with you more on that.

Natural supports have been put in place to help AD succeed at Iowa. A doctor may prescribe his meds but has nothing to do with curing him of anything or deeming him fit to compete.

You have to kinda wonder about a guy that gets a 6th season and then transfers. If I'm right you don't get a 6th season without your present school doing a lot of the dirty work. Of course, I don't know all the circumstances of his seeking the extra year.

Well many times said person has graduated from their original school and is looking for find a graduate program that is a good fit. See no problems with that at all...

Well many times said person has graduated from their original school and is looking for find a graduate program that is a good fit. See no problems with that at all...
That and some institutions only provide 4 or 5 yrs worth of athletic aid regardless of NCAA eligibility so some are choosing whether to pay to stay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT