ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Twedt cool story

That is an awesome story… Yes it’s awesome because he represents us Iowa fans but, see… the thing is that kind of stuff happens a lot, with no name people. It needs to be spread along every media outlet there is that there are these kinds of people in the world!!!

We need more people that stop to help, we need more people that pick up trash cans in the middle of the subdivision, we need more people that open doors for others… Yet this kind of story never gets covered unless of course… And I’m not being a party pooper. I’m super excited to find out that Zac Twedt did that…but it’s just as much because he’s a human being as anything else!!

I have been all over the country in competitive and no small amount of cutthroat endeavors. Iowa nice is real, not me per se, but in general. People here are more courteous, more helpful and less confrontational than almost any place I can think I've been.
There are great people and there are horrible people everywhere. In my travels I've found that, in general, you get what you give.

There are great people and there are horrible people everywhere. In my travels I've found that, in general, you get what you give.

The truest, thing ever said and it follows along most religious lines and just being good stewards of your humanity!!

I am a man of Faith and I believe it helps me to grow and become that kind of man, but in all honesty what’s wrong with just being a good human being anyway?! We can all be so selfish and alienated and self-destructive!

I always thought Iowa nice was real but learned early in my 20's it is very situational.

When I was about a sophomore at Iowa I was driving back to Iowa City in the middle of the summer and my car broke down on I-80 right at the Victor exit. It was mid-afternoon and it was approaching 100 degrees. This was well before cell phones so I walked to the closest building (a restaurant that is no longer there). I called a tow truck and also someone to come pick me up.

The tow truck came and took me into Victor (about 2.5 miles), told me they would look at the car in the morning as it was about closing time. The owner of the shop told me I could wait at the restaurant across the street because he was going home for dinner. I had told my ride to pick me up out at the restaurant on 80, told the guy that and he said I would have to walk (first bit of non-Iowa nice).

I grabbed my team bag (obviously Iowa branded) and started walking, wearing Iowa shirt and shorts. As I walked back I was passed by dozens of cars, trucks, tractors, and motorcycles; many of them gave me the Iowa nice wave but not a single one stopped to see if I needed help or a ride.

When I finally made it back to the restaurant I was dehydrated and looked like a drowned rat. I sat at the counter and asked for a glass of water. I was told they would not give me water until I ordered food (more non-Iowa nice) so I explained I would order but had just walked from Victor, in the 100 degree heat, carrying a heavy bag and just needed some water to start. I was told no I had to order food first.

I ordered, got my water, and started recovering. The guy down at the end of the counter decides to strike up a conversation and I am thinking this is the Iowa nice I expected. Nope, he just wanted to tell me he passed me by and thought about stopping but figured I was just out for some exercise.

When I finished my meal and paid the check the waitress told me I had to leave. I explained my situation and that I was waiting for a ride that should be there within an hour. She said tough, you have to leave (the restaurant was not busy) so I had to go sit on the curb in the parking lot.

Ever since that day I have flipped off the exit every time I drive I-80 and was ecstatic the day I drove by and saw the restaurant being torn down. Maybe it was just the day or the town but not Iowa nice.

I know CSB.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Maybe it was just me, but didn’t everyone have to learn how to change a tire as part of drivers Ed?

or is there now an app for that?
😜
Lol. Have had two daughters go through drivers ed and can tell you positively not. At least not during drivers ed in the Des Moines area. Taught them myself.

Reactions: chuck285
Maybe it was just me, but didn’t everyone have to learn how to change a tire as part of drivers Ed?

or is there now an app for that?
😜

Lol. Have had two daughters go through drivers ed and can tell you positively not. At least not during drivers ed in the Des Moines area. Taught them myself.
A lot of newish vehicles don't come with a spare, not even the small donut spare anymore.

Reactions: Ree4
Hmmm, and she would be wrong. Iowa is far safer and by definition nicer than New York city. Once you and she take a ride on the NY Subway, come back and tell me where you think she is most comfortable.
How many years have you lived in New York City?

How many years have you lived in New York City?
I lived there and NJ for 6 years. It was ok. People not real friendly but I never felt threatened or not safe. BUT then I have traveled back within the last year a few times on business. It’s an armpit now. Kind of like before Rudy was the mayor as I went there a few times before he cleaned things up. It’s such a shame because it can be such a fun and vibrant place.

I live in Oakland, a city well-known for its high crime rate. But I’ll tell you a true story about a friend of mine who had a terrible car accident earlier this year here in Oakland.

A good samaritan came upon his car, which was on its side. In order to try to get my friend out of the car, the gentleman opened the rear hatch of my friend’s vehicle. He didn’t realize my friend’s two dogs were in the car. One of the dogs jumped out of the car and sprinted away because she was scared senseless after the accident.

The good samaritan got my friend out of the car and helped him get medical attention, but the dog was long gone. Within about an hour of the accident, there were 30+ Oaklanders searching for the dog. Some of them were acquaintances of my friend. Others had never met him before in their life. I got lucky and ending up finding the dog, but there was a whole squadron of people scouring the city.

It’s comical to me that people want to use crime stats to comment on the “niceness” of cities. Of course there’s going to be more crime in cities due to the greater income disparities and concentration of resources in a relatively small geographical area. But if you spend time in cities and get to know the people around you, you’ll see myriad examples of niceness.

Hmmm, and she would be wrong. Iowa is far safer and by definition nicer than New York city. Once you and she take a ride on the NY Subway, come back and tell me where you think she is most comfortable.
She got pulled over for DWB in my hometown. But sure, you go right on believing you can tell people where they feel safer. #IowaNice is a myth.

Reactions: chaneccooms
She got pulled over for DWB in my hometown. But sure, you go right on believing you can tell people where they feel safer. #IowaNice is a myth.
I’m sorry to hear about how your wife was treated. No excuse for that. But it’s just a bit of a leap to conclude that “Iowa nice” is a myth. I bet you’re acutely aware of how foolish blanket statements like that are, as are stereotypes of all kinds.

Born and raised in Iowa City and have lived in central Iowa for 23 years. Also lived in 3 other states, traveled most of the US, traveled throughout Europe, and lived there for the better part of a year. Of course, there are all kinds in all places, but I think I have a pretty decent experiential basis to conclude that Iowa stacks up very favorably in terms of its degree of “nice”. Far from a myth.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear about how your wife was treated. No excuse for that. But it’s just a bit of a leap to conclude that “Iowa nice” is a myth. I bet you’re acutely aware of how foolish blanket statements like that are, as are stereotypes of all kinds.

Born and raised in Iowa City and have lived in central Iowa for 23 years. Also lived in 3 other states, traveled most of the US, and traveled throughout Europe. Of course, there are all kinds in all places, but I think I have a pretty decent experiential basis to conclude that Iowa stacks up very favorably in terms of its degree of “nice”. Far from a myth.
Oh, I don't disagree that some people in Iowa are nice. I have traveled to or lived in 49/50 states and have encountered nice people everywhere. I challenge the notion that simply being from Iowa makes one a nice person. #IowaNice is as much a myth as NYers are assholes is a myth.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Oh, I don't disagree that some people in Iowa are nice. I have traveled to or lived in 49/50 states and have encountered nice people everywhere. I challenge the notion that simply being from Iowa makes one a nice person. #IowaNice is as much a myth as NYers are assholes is a myth.
I suspect your definition of “Iowa nice” probably differs from most. Being from Iowa, or any place, doesn’t make you nice any more than being born in a McDonalds makes you a Big Mac.

I think most would define “Iowa nice” as a tendency for Iowans to be relatively kind-hearted, generous people. At least by that definition, I think it’s quite descriptive. I have a hard time believing that anyone actually believes that all Iowans are nice. Anyway, we’ve beaten this dead horse pretty good by now. I certainly hope your wife never encounters another ignoramus in Iowa.

My wife is a black Haitian immigrant woman with an accent. Guess where she is more comfortable.
I've heard that people in New York are more comfortable with Voodoo than the people in Iowa are.:oops: I have also been told that MS 13 gang members blend in better in NYC than they do in Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT