ADVERTISEMENT

Zone Defense The Rest Of The Year!

Daisy Mae

All-Conference
Dec 25, 2015
I think Fran figured something out, for a change. Also, hats off to J-Bo and Kreiner, what ever you ate the past 24 hours, continue the diet thru March. Great game Hawks!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
3-21 from 3 made the zone look good. Nebraska had a lot of good looks and missed and had some poor shot selection on critical possessions. The game should not have gotten as closes as it did but their zone caused what 4 straight almost unforced turnovers? Getting Connor out and Moss in brought some stability to dealing with the guy at the of their zone. Connor looked lost out there for most of the game and is a liability when he presents himself as a non-factor offensively. Needs to be able to take an open jumper when it's there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Well much like FB you can't be stuck to one MO.
I liked how they stopped penetration much of the game. Its unfortunate that Iowa has no one who can face up and stop "that guy" but this will work as long as they recover on the help position.

I think the Hawks mixed up the D quite well. 1-3-1 . then to 2-3 . then to 3-2
Nebraska never knew which D they were going to face each time down.

I think Fran figured something out, for a change. Also, hats off to J-Bo and Kreiner, what ever you ate the past 24 hours, continue the diet thru March. Great game Hawks!

Iowa literally plays zone at least some of the game against any team not named Savannah State or Grambling. It appears that Fran would like to play man predominantly but is not so stubborn that he won't go to another defense to slow down the opponent. The biggest thing the zone did was slow Nebraska down and stop the layup and dunk line of the first 7-10 minutes.

I don't think Iowa can succeed playing nothing but zone. There are opponents who will carve it up. Northwestern has less footspeed than does Nebraska so Iowa will have more of a chance to stay in front of them in man defense.

Iowa’s defense was alright, but they still gave up 80 points. I’m as thrilled with the win as anybody, but thought Nebraska came into the game with a terrible defensive approach.

MSU and Purdue showed that the key to slowing down Iowa’s offense is to make Bohannon’s life hell up and down the court. He was a non factor both games because of how hard they made him work. This game, Nebraska didn’t seem to pressure him (or Iowa in general) much at all, and to Jordan’s credit, he carved them up. Especially with an experienced, solid PG like Glynn Watson, I definitely thought they could have been more aggressive defensively. Miles messed up on that one. If they take Iowa out of their rhythm, this game could have easily swung heavily in Nebraska’s favor

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT