ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz appreciation thread

I have the opinion that you gotta use wins and losses to judge a coordinator.
it was stupid for the Lesbian to fire the OC mid-season.
thankfully Brian has great character and stayed with it the entire season.

one thing that gets ignored... and that is the fact that those who hate BF..
will hate the next OC.

guaranteed.
Please kill yourself

I am of the belief that he was a decent coordinator. His downfall was being named QB coach. If you look at the numbers while O' keefe was QB coach the offense was a fairly efficient unit. Once they made him QB coach there was a very poor drop in passing efficiency every year.

Brian was a good player and representative of Iowa Football. And a better coach than people give him credit for.
Please tell me this is a poor attempt at trolling.

Reactions: peacehawk
Gee, let me see now. I can leave now or stay for 2 months and get another $300-500K. Touch choice....
would have been paid either way.

You're an

Idiot Reaction GIF

Reactions: F5n5

will hate the next OC.

guaranteed.
Annnnnd you’re a moron.

I agree.

I wish it were possible for Brian to go back to being the OL coach.

With that said, Brian’s message about being above the university and football program after it was publicly known he would be let go is the only thing I ever held against him personally.
Where is this quote that said he is above the UofI and the football program? Please provide this.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Read some of the comments about Brian from the players. They love the guy. His downfall (and our QB's) was the piss poor offensive line the past 3-4 years. Some of this is on Brian, but mostly on OL coach. Our immobile qb's didn't stand a chance behind this line. They had 1.5 seconds to throw the ball & never had a chance to scan the field for 2nd or 3rd options. I do fault Kirk & Brian for not playing the more mobile back ups and schemes to make them more successful behing a horrid line.

With most our defense returning next year & hopefully a healthy and improve Cade at qb, we challenge for a playoff spot. Which of course will be credited to the new OC & not Kirk, right?

He was a horrible OC who benefitted from decent assistants from 2017 - 2019

Offense skill position recruiting and retention also was a problem.

He was given a longer leash than anyone else in the country. Other OCs would have been fired after just one of his <200 yard performances, let alone the multiple times a year it seemed to happen.

Appreciate his love and support of the Hawks, but time to break free

I was mostly indifferent to BF until the most recent offseason when he proudly proclaimed that he would not change a thing about an offense that finished 130th out of 131 FBS teams.

"We are doing the same things but we are going to be doing them better", he said.

What a pathetic display of arrogance.... and it was delivered with all the condescending smugness of the son of the head coach who beleived he was untouchable.

I popped a couple when Goetz kicked the stool out from under him. I do hope he lands on his feet but I will not miss BF in the least.

Depends on your character….some people love a pile in. Others realize life can turn quick.

I’m not a BF fan but honestly most of these guys…are shitty people who likely are worse.
Brian got filthy rich for performing a job that would have gotten any other major college OC fired years ago. Instead of expressing humility and gratitude for his unbelievable luck and massive fortune, he stood up there with his nose in the air, above criticism, and acted like he was god's gift to Iowa football. I sincerely hope others would "pile on" if I ever conducted myself in such a manner.

Putting the offense in Brian's hands is like asking Ronnie Harmon to carry your giant bag of eggs.
Brian never threw anything and he did produce 55-24. Bitch slapped USC, and he won others as well.

He played on some great teams as well.

Dude didn't do what he wanted as OC but he bled black and gold like us.

We won much more than we lost so cheer tomorrow then move on.

Brian got filthy rich for performing a job that would have gotten any other major college OC fired years ago. Instead of expressing humility and gratitude for his unbelievable luck and massive fortune, he stood up there with his nose in the air, above criticism, and acted like he was god's gift to Iowa football. I sincerely hope others would "pile on" if I ever conducted myself in such a manner.

I imagine people pile on you routinely.

Read some of the comments about Brian from the players. They love the guy. His downfall (and our QB's) was the piss poor offensive line the past 3-4 years. Some of this is on Brian, but mostly on OL coach. Our immobile qb's didn't stand a chance behind this line. They had 1.5 seconds to throw the ball & never had a chance to scan the field for 2nd or 3rd options. I do fault Kirk & Brian for not playing the more mobile back ups and schemes to make them more successful behing a horrid line.

With most our defense returning next year & hopefully a healthy and improve Cade at qb, we challenge for a playoff spot. Which of course will be credited to the new OC & not Kirk, right?
Most Iowa fans are not arguing that the players didn't "love" BF. I agree...the O line coach needed to go too.

Brian never threw anything and he did produce 55-24. Bitch slapped USC, and he won others as well.

He played on some great teams as well.

Dude didn't do what he wanted as OC but he bled black and gold like us.

We won much more than we lost so cheer tomorrow then move on.
Very gracious. Even handed. The offense was in a rut. No progress was being made and he's responsible for that, and that's considering all factors. I have no problem with his contract not being renewed. It was a time for a new OC.

Reactions: littlez
it was stupid f
or the Lesbian to fire the OC mid-season.

will hate the next OC.

guaranteed.
It's hard to be wrong 4 times in such a short post. Congratulations.

I am of the belief that he was a decent coordinator. His downfall was being named QB coach. If you look at the numbers while O' keefe was QB coach the offense was a fairly efficient unit. Once they made him QB coach there was a very poor drop in passing efficiency every year.

Brian was a good player and representative of Iowa Football. And a better coach than people give him credit for.
I appreciate your not wanting to stomp on the man's grave, but outside of a few games, he was objectively a very poor OC ever since he took over the position, got worse and worse, then KF's doubling-down on the dumb and adding QB coach responsibilities turned him into possibly the worst OC/QB combination coach in major college football history. Shoulda been gone at least 3 years ago. And this debacle was very easy to predict from Day 1; several other posters joined me in calling it back in '17...

I thank Brian for his years of loyal service to the University of Iowa. He was a good player and position coach. A terrible OC, but that's not his fault. I'm sure he tried his best...he was just in over his head. I harbor no ill will against him.

I certainly don't hate him. I don't know him personally but I assume he's a decent guy. It's not like he throws bottles at his son at the breakfast table and hits him in the head with it.

(sigh) What's the upside?

I appreciate that he went ballistic on the "dead ball fumble" call in the CCG. I hope he can convince his dad (with equal fervor) to put a new QB into the game after Deac's third turnover tomorrow. Not optimistic.

I have no ill will towards BF as a person, but I'm glad change is finally coming, even though it had to be forced. He was probably fine as an OL coach but he was not a good OC and apparently an even worse QB coach, judging by the level of QB play the past few years.

I wish him well in whatever comes next.

will hate the next OC.

guaranteed.
Head coaches are judged on wins and losses. Coordinators are judged on the performance of their side of the ball. In that regard, BF was a total failure. It seems the lesbian knows more about being an OC than BF or you.

Oh, I believe there have so far been two references to OSU '17 and USC '19 in this thread.

Drink!
Drink!
It gets some tiresome hearing about these 2 games in his 80+ games in 7 years as OC. Even dochterman on the athletic had to throw these 2 games out there in some sort of defense. Osu was definitely his unicorn. Like that bball game where a team can’t miss and everything went right. Funny how ferentz defenders forget about all the rest of the clunkers that season. 66 yard following week where only scores on Jackson’s 2 pick 6s vs Wisconsin. Loss to MSU scoring 10, loss in ot vs NW scoring 10 and loss on sr day to Purdue putting up only 15.

As for usc their D that year as bad as their atrocious D this year. Of the 49 pts that game 21 came off a kick return, pick 6 and drive of 5 yards off a fumble.

He failed miserably and no matter how feverishly you polish a turd, at the end of the day you’re still holding a turd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT