ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz appreciation thread

Brian gave it everything he had. He’s a Hawkeye thru and thru. Wish him nothing but success in life and his career from here on. It didn’t work out as the Hawkeye OC, but he can absolutely learn from the experience and be a great coach going forward. Best of luck, go hawks!

Fx Networks Reaction GIF by Cake FX

Good luck to Brian. He gave everything he had to the Hawks as a player and coach. All the best.
I disagree as a coach. Part of being a good coach is knowing what you don’t know. So yea, if I was coaching water polo (which I know nothing about) and tried my hardest to help, I guess you could say I gave everything I had. But it would just be wasted effort, like our current guy coaching the quarterbacks.

Terrible coordinator that got the job due to his dad. Should’ve stayed an o line coach but now he’s gone in a day, finally.
I disagree. There is a pretty solid reason and thinking behind his dad’s decision to make him OC. BF worked a few seasons for Belichick, who quite honestly “taught” Kirk how to coach...and quite honestly runs the offense Kirk has patterned his offense after. I honestly believe Kirk hired Brian because Brian worked with BB and worked with TEs...the key to Belichick’s offense (that and Brady).
I do seriously question Kirk’s decision to place his son in such a high profile coaching position. (Probably the worst coaching decision Kirk has made in his time at Iowa City.) Certainly cannot blame Brian for accepting the job...I will agree that QB development at Iowa has never been that great...and under Brian, it got no better.

I disagree. There is a pretty solid reason and thinking behind his dad’s decision to make him OC. BF worked a few seasons for Belichick, who quite honestly “taught” Kirk how to coach...and quite honestly runs the offense Kirk has patterned his offense after. I honestly believe Kirk hired Brian because Brian worked with BB and worked with TEs...the key to Belichick’s offense (that and Brady).
I do seriously question Kirk’s decision to place his son in such a high profile coaching position. (Probably the worst coaching decision Kirk has made in his time at Iowa City.) Certainly cannot blame Brian for accepting the job...I will agree that QB development at Iowa has never been that great...and under Brian, it got no better.
BB had Brian calling plays in New England?? I must have missed that season.

Read some of the comments about Brian from the players. They love the guy. His downfall (and our QB's) was the piss poor offensive line the past 3-4 years. Some of this is on Brian, but mostly on OL coach. Our immobile qb's didn't stand a chance behind this line. They had 1.5 seconds to throw the ball & never had a chance to scan the field for 2nd or 3rd options. I do fault Kirk & Brian for not playing the more mobile back ups and schemes to make them more successful behing a horrid line.

With most our defense returning next year & hopefully a healthy and improve Cade at qb, we challenge for a playoff spot. Which of course will be credited to the new OC & not Kirk, right?
LOFL

the worst decision Kirk Ferentz made led to Conference Championship Game appearances in 2 of the last 3 seasons... and nearly 3 seasons in a row.

worst decision ever made... if you are an opponent of the Hawkeyes.

the worst decision Kirk Ferentz made led to Conference Championship Game appearances in 2 of the last 3 seasons... and nearly 3 seasons in a row.

How many touchdowns did we score in those two championship games Brian?!? All these other fan bases are really sad to see you go.

Last edited:

All that in spite of the worst offense in the country. Imagine what kind of seasons Iowa could have had with a good offense.

Has anyone under Bill B been successful as a coach elsewhere ?

Seems like as soon as they leave the Patriots they flop, usually as a HC
It seems like that's what happens without a generational QB like Tom Brady. Bellichik may still have been successful without Brady during those new England glory years, but we know for sure he's struggled to get to, and never won a playoff game without him before and after.

Reactions: Iron Doc
It seems like that's what happens without a generational QB like Tom Brady. Bellichik may still have been successful without Brady during those new England glory years, but we know for sure he's struggled to get to, and never won a playoff game without him before and after.
Bellichik only went to the playoffs 2 out of 11 years without Brady as his starter (cle included). Brady made the playoffs every year but 1 as a starter. Even that year they tied for 1st but lost out bc of tie breakers. 2000 his rookie year which he only threw 3 passes I believe and in 2008 his season ended in the 1st game of the season (out the rest of the year). NE didn't make the playoffs either of those years and he made the playoffs all 3 years in TB.

I'm curious. Will you still be on here when Brian leaves, because it's obvious to everyone that you're more a fan of him than you are the Hawks. Or will you be back hoping and praying that the offense is still worst in the country so your idol, or son or sibling or whoever he is to you isn't shown up?

So far, Brian has not been snatched up as an NFL OL or TE coach. Only Washington and Seattle with head coach openings (who will then need to fill out their staff). Belichick not likely to be a head coach next year. Just don't see any power conference college program taking a chance on Brian with all his baggage.

Perhaps an NFL team will need an OL analyst? Iowa media and Brian's big supporters (including on this board) may have underestimated how toxic Brian is at this time.

So far, Brian has not been snatched up as an NFL OL or TE coach. Only Washington and Seattle with head coach openings (who will then need to fill out their staff). Belichick not likely to be a head coach next year. Just don't see any power conference college program taking a chance on Brian with all his baggage.

Perhaps an NFL team will need an OL analyst? Iowa media and Brian's big supporters (including on this board) may have underestimated how toxic Brian is at this time.
Maybe one of the Super Bowl teams is holding a spot for him.

I am of the belief that he was a decent coordinator. His downfall was being named QB coach. If you look at the numbers while O' keefe was QB coach the offense was a fairly efficient unit. Once they made him QB coach there was a very poor drop in passing efficiency every year.

Brian was a good player and representative of Iowa Football. And a better coach than people give him credit for.
He's literally the best thing that ever happened to Iowa football. Sad sad times.

Look at the reaction by Iowa fans over the hiring of Lester given what's perceived to be lackluster credentials. Now consider another program that was considering hiring Brian.

Brian's tenure as OC at Iowa was the pinnacle of his coaching career. He will never approach that level of responsibility and authority again.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
What's Doyle up to these days? Oh yeah, unemployed, even though he had 10x the reputation of nepo-Brian.

Give it a couple years, and maybe a FCS team will offer Brian a position coach spot. Probably the best he can hope for, but probably not happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT