ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly to become OC at OSU

I envy Kelly. He obviously has enough money that he can take a pay cut and can do what he loves without all the BS. A no brainer IMO.
This is where I’m at, too. He gets to coach xs and os, call plays make over a million a year and doesn’t have the headache of being a HC.

Reactions: NoWokeBloke
UCLA had their worst recruiting class ever and they were going to fire him. He just didn’t want to be Hc any longer?
They couldn't pull the money together to fire him last year, but a step to OSU as an OC signals that this is to prove he wants to be an HC elsewhere (just my opinion).

Reactions: BirdistheWord
UCLA seems to be a bit of a mess athletically. Seem to be drifting without direction in the big sports.
They have a solid NIL already set for basketball with the champions of Westwood, it is part of the reason why Lauren Betts end up there instead of Iowa.

Even though I know KF never would have hired him, even if CK did indeed reach out about the OC vacancy, it makes me sick to be perpetually stuck in this "we're just/only Iowa" mindset that begins with KF and permeates a large portion of the fanbase.

Thank God that Ferentz struck gold with the Parkers and good STs, because all those petty and stubborn "We won 10 game last season, don't know if you were aware that." statements would be null and void.

Even though I know KF never would have hired him, even if CK did indeed reach out about the OC vacancy, it makes me sick to be perpetually stuck in this "we're just/only Iowa" mindset that begins with KF and permeates a large portion of the fanbase.

Thank God that Ferentz struck gold with the Parkers and good STs, because all those petty and stubborn "We won 10 game last season, don't know if you were aware that." statements would be null and void.
Why can’t WE be sexy?

Last edited:
Why can’t we be sexy?
There's absolutely no reason why the Hawks can't be.

Blame Parker's defense. It keeps failing the rest of the team when they don't post numerous Pick6's or housed opponent fumbles per game, especially against ranked opponents.

Love all the comments bitching about defense after losses when they spend at least 3/4 of the game on the field because the offense can't even scrape together a few first downs to help even out the TOP.

And the one who knows what's best for Iowa football is employed as their head coach
LOL. Sorry, KF gave up any claim as "knowing what's best for Iowa football" when he clearly prioritized Tommy Boy's career over the success of the team. Keeping a complete failure of an OC 2-3 years too long proved that KF only knows (and cares about) what's best for the Ferentz family.

CK was going to be out at UCLA one way or the other. Sort of like Alford - he left Iowa to head to Mew Mexico … he knew he was going to be fired so he now he won’t have “fired” on his resume. CK is always just looking for next best thing … I give him 1 or 2 years at OSU and he will jump ship for a HC gig.

Kirk was never going to hire a guy like Kelly. Too much ego in the room for the two of them.
Let’s see how he really fits at Ohio State and you know he is not long for the world there. Day is also on the hot seat now. Squarely on it.

This is a really good story and asks some really good questions.

Why did Chip want out of UCLA so badly?

Why did he take a pay cut to go be a coordinator?

Is UCLA's NIL program so lackluster that it’s impossible to recruit?

Is the current UCLA roster really that bad?

Does UCLA just not care that much about competing at the highest level in football?

This is a really good story and asks some really good questions.

Why did Chip want out of UCLA so badly?

Why did he take a pay cut to go be a coordinator?

Is UCLA's NIL program so lackluster that it’s impossible to recruit?

Is the current UCLA roster really that bad?

Does UCLA just not care that much about competing at the highest level in football?

Hmm. After reading that article it appears something isn’t right with this guy. What isn’t being said?

I wonder if Kirk was referring to Kelly when he was speaking at the PC about a coach that was all about himself.

Hmm. After reading that article it appears something isn’t right with this guy. What isn’t being said?

I wonder if Kirk was referring to Kelly when he was speaking at the PC about a coach that was all about himself.
36 years ago? Speaking of all about himself or ego over reality

My FIL was a dual sport athlete at UCLA (is in the HOF and played football as well.) His brother also was an athlete there as well so I am around UCLA alumni all the time. They literally care less about football and I would just say athletics in general. They watch and generally keep up but their fan base is pretty apathetic. I know my family was less than thrilled they are making the move to our conference. The culture there is a far cry from the Big Ten.

Looking forward to going to the Rose Bowl in early Nov this year. Should be all Hawkeyes!

My FIL was a dual sport athlete at UCLA (is in the HOF and played football as well.) His brother also was an athlete there as well so I am around UCLA alumni all the time. They literally care less about football and I would just say athletics in general. They watch and generally keep up but their fan base is pretty apathetic. I know my family was less than thrilled they are making the move to our conference. The culture there is a far cry from the Big Ten.

Looking forward to going to the Rose Bowl in early Nov this year. Should be all Hawkeyes!
No doubt culture clash is big..but imagine Stanford and Cal in the ACC...could be worse.
At least the BIG and pac12 were always linked.

This is where I’m at, too. He gets to coach xs and os, call plays make over a million a year and doesn’t have the headache of being a HC.
Kelly is a brilliant offensive innovator but basically useless when it comes to recruiting and communicating with kids and parents. OSU hired him for his offensive knowledge only

National Championship for @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset ???

;)
The law of Iowa physics states if the offense is actually proficient the defense must become less so.

30ppg offense
35ppga defense

This law of nature only exists within the program.

We see it with the basketball program. They can score pretty well, but the defense MUST be sacrificed.

Kirk and Brian did all they can to not upset the gods. They felt offense and Brian’s reputation were worth the sacrifice for 10 wins

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The law of Iowa physics states if the offense is actually proficient the defense must become less so.

30ppg offense
35ppga defense

This law of nature only exists within the program.

We see it with the basketball program. They can score pretty well, but the defense MUST be sacrificed.

Kirk and Brian did all they can to not upset the gods. They felt offense and Brian’s reputation were worth the sacrifice for 10 wins
I know fans who think that a higher power offense would stress the defense out. As if 6 play drives resulting in touchdowns, damage the defense more than consistent 3 and outs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT