ADVERTISEMENT

Chittum to ISU

Agree, if chittums refused to sign and had a history of jumping around to different programs, them you have to see if anyone is available with at least similar talent or potential. That’s were Anthony came in, and yes a risk in a different way that chittum was a risk. I had always heard money wasn’t an option for where chittum landed since they have plenty, and I’m sure we made him a strong offer. I bet Ohio State made bigger offer, but he came here, so doubt not signing was a money thing. Also, after Sealy signed with PSU, who we badly wanted, we needed to recruit another stud at that weight, and Angelo , who kicked Sealy’s butt, was available. Recruiting Anthony, who was interested, then helps our chances with Angelo. If chittum would have signed, we still go after Angelo, but probably not Anthony. Just my 2 cents
Pretty much the same as I am thinking.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
I'll just say this. I had a chance to speak with Cody after a workout not long ago, and he seemed like a super kid. Seemed very happy at Iowa and all smiles. Very respectful. Clearly, this situation is fairly complex with multiple moving parts. Whatever the case, I wish him the best, and I suspect the vast majority of Iowa fans do too. Bummed he won't be a Hawk, but nobody is bigger than the program and we move forward. On to bigger and better things.
Great post… He does seem like a pretty grounded kid from interviews I’ve come across. Glad to read your perspective about meeting him in person. Yes, life does continue forward… for everyone.

Bottom line: Cody was interviewed. He identified he didn't want the Ferraris as his teammates. He indicated Anthony's recruitment rubbed him the wrong way, without providing details.

He did not mention his father's influence. He did not mention the lack of a signed NLI. He did not mention lack of NIL offers.

Inferring whether or not any of the unmentioned things were "details" left unstated contributing to having been "rubbed the wrong way" would be supposition.
I may not quote it word for word without going back and looking at the article, but in the interview, he also said something on the lines that he cried when he left Iowa City.

Bottom line: Cody was interviewed. He identified he didn't want the Ferraris as his teammates. He indicated Anthony's recruitment rubbed him the wrong way, without providing details.

He did not mention his father's influence. He did not mention the lack of a signed NLI. He did not mention lack of NIL offers.

Inferring whether or not any of the unmentioned things were "details" left unstated contributing to having been "rubbed the wrong way" would be supposition.
I reread Cody Goodwin’s (CG) article. I think CG provides the best coverage of Iowa wrestling and my intent is not to criticize the article. There are no quotes so we are left with CG’s interpretation of Chittum’s words and thoughts. I came away from the article thinking Chittum really didn’t want talk much about why he left and CG didn’t push the topic as I would expect as CG’s interviewing style is more collegial than adversarial. Also we aren’t able to tell whether Chittum brought up the Ferrari’s proactively or whether he was prompted by a CG question.

I reread Cody Goodwin’s (CG) article. I think CG provides the best coverage of Iowa wrestling and my intent is not to criticize the article. There are no quotes so we are left with CG’s interpretation of Chittum’s words and thoughts. I came away from the article thinking Chittum really didn’t want talk much about why he left and CG didn’t push the topic as I would expect as CG’s interviewing style is more collegial than adversarial. Also we aren’t able to tell whether Chittum brought up the Ferrari’s proactively or whether he was prompted by a CG question.

Climate Change Hide GIF by Barbara Pozzi

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Anyone hear if the Chittum clan had any comments about his flame out this season?

Now that he's not two years older than everyone he wrestles, things change.

Last edited:
So, you’re more interested in how the comments were prompted rather than the content of said comments?

Re Chittum, I don’t know if I’m off the train or not because he has flashes of being real good. Don’t know if it’s lifestyle or scale issues but getting dominated in the first round wasn’t a good look. Fell into a tough match with Blockhus losing 14-13. Blockhus then got majored by UNI in the same round.

Besides Carr’s tourney, was most impressed with their 33. Kid can get after it for however long he needs to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT