ADVERTISEMENT

Max Dean in Portal

A lot of people are hyping Michigan as a title contender if he transfers in, but he would actually be a downgrade from what they were expected to have because it means Amine is done and not cutting back to 184 as speculated with Brucki coming in at 197.
Ok I’ll play the speculation game:
- Max is originally from Lowell Mich
- Dad - Dave Dean- wrestled for Minn. now a youth wrestling coach in Mich.
- cousins Zeth and Kanon both wrestle for Harvard
- opportunities to continue to wrestle in an Ivy League school include Harvard, Princeton. Penn, Columbia and Brown.
- if Stanford didn’t cut their wrestling program the Cardinal could be included on the speculation list.
See any dots to connect?

“He’s concerned that there’s not going to be a season at Cornell,” Big Red coach Rob Koll said. “That’s literally it. I disagree, but he’s already given up a year. I told the guys there’s no reason to think that we won’t have a season. But that’s really all there is to (his decision).”

- opportunities to continue to wrestle in an Ivy League school include Harvard, Princeton. Penn, Columbia and Brown.
If Max has his degree, other ivies do not take grad transfers. Guessing its going to be Michigan.

Reactions: el dub
“He’s concerned that there’s not going to be a season at Cornell,” Big Red coach Rob Koll said. “That’s literally it. I disagree, but he’s already given up a year. I told the guys there’s no reason to think that we won’t have a season. But that’s really all there is to (his decision).”

That's interesting. I guess this is one of those times where being "elite" isn't all it's cracked up to be. LOL!

Reactions: pml_dad

Interesting...Gabe Dean is a paid assistant coach there and he's leaving too.

Reactions: 24 so far
5th actually. Their being in true contention would actually hinge on a lot, but Dean really isn’t any factor in that. What it comes down 100% to is if Micic comes back and Griffith ends up there.
This lineup would be VERY tough:

125-Medley/Ragusin
133-Micic
141-Mattin/Ragusin
149-Storr
157-Lewan
165-Amine
174-Griffith
184-Amine
197-Brucki
285-Parris

that is 5 legit Finalists in Micic, Griffith, Amine, Brucki and Parris along with likely AA Amine and possible AA’s in Lewan and Storr with a small chance at 125 as well.
One hit wonder in the program building picture.

I know everyone’s saying Dean to Michigan. I just can’t believe iowa isn’t pushing hard for this guy. Ncaa finalist at a weight where Iowa struggled last year. I’d think this would be a damn the torpedoes, McDonald’s bags full of money, type situation.

I know everyone’s saying Dean to Michigan. I just can’t believe iowa isn’t pushing hard for this guy. Ncaa finalist at a weight where Iowa struggled last year. I’d think this would be a damn the torpedoes, McDonald’s bags full of money, type situation.

You don’t understand how this works. The Deans aren’t free agents looking for a team. They already know where they are going.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Disclaimer Curtis isn't an Iowa fan. Better address this before click bitch willie tweets about Iowa fans wanting to pay recruits. I would wager Abe won't be the lowest NCAA point scorer on the team next year.

You don’t understand how this works. The Deans aren’t free agents looking for a team. They already know where they are going.
Koll said something to the effect that Max wasn't too keen on the idea of having to be vaccinated in order to return to campus. Not sure which schools this doesn't apply to, but I'd imagine Michigan would require vaccination.

Reactions: just_somebody

He is marked as “do not contact” in the portal. Meaning he already has a school lined up.

Link to number of required vaccinations without FDA approval?
Just saying they already require vaccinations. Given how intense the legal departments are at these institutions, I bet they've weighed the risk here of making it mandatory.

Reactions: el dub
How quickly we've moved from "clear legal precedent" to "risk balancing"!
Well I do think "requiring vaccines" is still a pretty clear legal precedent. You pointed out they aren't FDA approved, but they did get signed off on by the FDA. The gray area between the usual approval and the emergency approval is where the legal argument comes in, but that's also just the nature of law. If every precedent was cut and dry, we wouldn't have any legal cases in the first place.

Well I do think "requiring vaccines" is still a pretty clear legal precedent. You pointed out they aren't FDA approved, but they did get signed off on by the FDA. The gray area between the usual approval and the emergency approval is where the legal argument comes in, but that's also just the nature of law. If every precedent was cut and dry, we wouldn't have any legal cases in the first place.
I mean, that's entirely the point, no? These were approved for emergency use, something which has only been done once before (the Anthrax vaccine in 2005), which means there has been WAY less testing than normal (seriously, the scientific testing has been really abysmal).

This is why I said they are getting bad legal counsel. What they should say is something like, we will be ensuring everyone who wants to get vaccinated has has the opportunity to do so (or we approve of the vaccine and hope many students get it, but each student should make that decision with their medical provider), or something like that. Mandating that a healthy population take an unapproved, untested, experimental vaccine, for which the manufacturers by statute have no liability, seems like it only creates a potential risk for the University.

That said, people who don't want to take it can still claim the religious exemption I suppose.

Reactions: TarpHawk and js8793
I mean, that's entirely the point, no? These were approved for emergency use, something which has only been done once before (the Anthrax vaccine in 2005), which means there has been WAY less testing than normal (seriously, the scientific testing has been really abysmal).

This is why I said they are getting bad legal counsel. What they should say is something like, we will be ensuring everyone who wants to get vaccinated has has the opportunity to do so (or we approve of the vaccine and hope many students get it, but each student should make that decision with their medical provider), or something like that. Mandating that a healthy population take an unapproved, untested, experimental vaccine, for which the manufacturers by statute have no liability, seems like it only creates a potential risk for the University.

That said, people who don't want to take it can still claim the religious exemption I suppose.
Yeah, this is why I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Anybody who feels that strongly about it is going to be able to get an exemption. The real objective is to incentivize those who don't feel strongly either way who might just not have bothered. If they get their vaccine numbers high enough, they probably don't have to spend as much on testing or safety numbers.

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
Yeah, this is why I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Anybody who feels that strongly about it is going to be able to get an exemption. The real objective is to incentivize those who don't feel strongly either way who might just not have bothered. If they get their vaccine numbers high enough, they probably don't have to spend as much on testing or safety numbers.
Certain states are trying to do away with the religious exemption. Do you know what their argument is? Hint: it's not to reduce cases or because of herd immunity or anything.

I don't think incentivize is the right word; rather, they are trying to coerce them by making it far more difficult to opt out.

Given that the "vaccine" doesn't really prevent spread, the testing numbers will likely stay. It's just that in theory the severe symptoms and death will be greatly reduced. So is the argument that they are trying to protect these people from themselves? Seems odd especially given the extreme lack of severe cases among kids in their early 20s.

In reality, because they are unsure as to how long "immunity" lasts from this "vaccine", they actually should be happy some portion of the population (especially the young population) isn't getting it, as people who have gotten the shot will get natural boosters from being around the virus.

Certain states are trying to do away with the religious exemption. Do you know what their argument is? Hint: it's not to reduce cases or because of herd immunity or anything.

I don't think incentivize is the right word; rather, they are trying to coerce them by making it far more difficult to opt out.

Given that the "vaccine" doesn't really prevent spread, the testing numbers will likely stay. It's just that in theory the severe symptoms and death will be greatly reduced. So is the argument that they are trying to protect these people from themselves? Seems odd especially given the extreme lack of severe cases among kids in their early 20s.

In reality, because they are unsure as to how long "immunity" lasts from this "vaccine", they actually should be happy some portion of the population (especially the young population) isn't getting it, as people who have gotten the shot will get natural boosters from being around the virus.
Do we know this yet? I just checked the CDC and it says the early results say it does reduce the spread, but that it hasn't been long enough to know for sure which is why they still recommend some distancing.

So much wrong in what you believe, These vaccines have been extensively and scientifically tested. They work very well and are quite safe (nothing is 100%). All of the evidence says that they do indeed reduce or prevent the spread and they are extremely effective at preventing DEATH. The risk in people in their early twenties isn't to THEM, but to those around them. As to how long it lasts, it certainly lasts longer if you get the shot than if you don't. Duh

The anti vaxxers conspiracy nuts are going to allow this damn thing to continue to spread and therefore mutate until we are back at square one. Do you not get that? If we all get shots this thing is OVER. Thinks about, NORMAL F'ING LIFE if people just do the right thing. I really don't understand the anti science culture in this country. Take the damn shot and find something else to bitch about. Cripes

So much wrong in what you believe, These vaccines have been extensively and scientifically tested. They work very well and are quite safe (nothing is 100%). All of the evidence says that they do indeed reduce or prevent the spread and they are extremely effective at preventing DEATH. The risk in people in their early twenties isn't to THEM, but to those around them. As to how long it lasts, it certainly lasts longer if you get the shot than if you don't. Duh

The anti vaxxers conspiracy nuts are going to allow this damn thing to continue to spread and therefore mutate until we are back at square one. Do you not get that? If we all get shots this thing is OVER. Thinks about, NORMAL F'ING LIFE if people just do the right thing. I really don't understand the anti science culture in this country. Take the damn shot and find something else to bitch about. Cripes
I generally do not think anyone should be forced to undergo a medical procedure without consent, nor do I think someone should be coerced. I would think you'd agree. That is a line we do not want to cross.

In any event, so long as everyone who wants the shot has had the opportunity to get it, that is good enough for me. If someone chooses not to get it, that is their right and it should be respected, and frankly you shouldn't care.

Want to convince skeptical people to take it? Advocate for the removal of legal immunity for vaccine makers. That would do a lot of good, and if anything ever did go wrong, people would have recourse. A win-win.

Do you know how “” work?

Blah blah blah. My life has been mostly normal.

Let me share a story, I was 7 years old my sister was 4. We were at a birthday party for a family friend. My sister had some sort of reaction, within 5 minutes she couldn't breathe, she was rushed to the emergency room. She nearly died and I had to watch it as a 7 year old kid. We found out she had an allergic reaction to peanuts.

Guess what we didn't do...we didn't demand Hy-Vee take all the peanuts off the shelf, we didn't go to congress and demand all nut trees be burned, we didn't demand all her friends stop eating peanuts. We adjusted our lives and kept living.

Sorry your scared, I'm sorry some people have major reactions to this virus while others don't (my dad was 2 months removed from quadruple by-pass when he contracted Covid and had minimal symptoms). So screw your do the right thing get the shot speech. I'm not getting it. Shut up.

I generally do not think anyone should be forced to undergo a medical procedure without consent, nor do I think someone should be coerced. I would think you'd agree. That is a line we do not want to cross.

In any event, so long as everyone who wants the shot has had the opportunity to get it, that is good enough for me. If someone chooses not to get it, that is their right and it should be respected, and frankly you shouldn't care.

Want to convince skeptical people to take it? Advocate for the removal of legal immunity for vaccine makers. That would do a lot of good, and if anything ever did go wrong, people would have recourse. A win-win.
No arguments there. And while we're at it, lets waive the patent rights so that poorer countries can manufacture generics for their citizens. If we believe in the efficacy of the vaccines we should want the whole world to have it because that's the only way we're safe too. Pharma is going to make enough from this as it is, using a ton of public research and funds as they do for most of their new profitable drugs. Socializing the risk and privatizing the profit at our expense.

And I don't disagree on forcing people to take it. I think that's a legit slippery slope. I wonder if this will end up being a public/private distinction where private universities can require it, but public can't? Then again, public schools require vaccines already, so who knows.

Medical procedure? It's a damn shot (or two) not a heart/lung transplant. We wouldn't have to discuss mandatory if people would just make the most obviously correct decision. People wouldn't have to be coerced if other people stopped spreading nonsense. There is a greater good question here. If enough people don't get the shot, we don't drop the virus low enough to slow the spread of mutants. If we allow mutations to spread we are back to square one.

Shouldn't care? It affects everyone! We should all care. Again, life can go back to normal and all we have to do is not be STUPID. Why don't you want this to be over?

First, anyone can sue for anything. Winning is a different question. But yeah, let's spend several years getting something through congress (!!!) before we get this thing OVER.

Suck it up, get the shot, get this thing behind us.
Blah blah blah. My life has been mostly normal.

Let me share a story, I was 7 years old my sister was 4. We were at a birthday party for a family friend. My sister had some sort of reaction, within 5 minutes she couldn't breathe, she was rushed to the emergency room. She nearly died and I had to watch it as a 7 year old kid. We found out she had an allergic reaction to peanuts.

Guess what we didn't do...we didn't demand Hy-Vee take all the peanuts off the shelf, we didn't go to congress and demand all nut trees be burned, we didn't demand all her friends stop eating peanuts. We adjusted our lives and kept living.

Sorry your scared, I'm sorry some people have major reactions to this virus while others don't (my dad was 2 months removed from quadruple by-pass when he contracted Covid and had minimal symptoms). So screw your do the right thing get the shot speech. I'm not getting it. Shut up.
So your life has been pretty normal so screw the 600,000 dead people. Tough for them. A coulpe of anecdotes about mild cases makes the whole thing fake news I suppose. The peanut allergy is touching but not relevant. Would you object if knowing that your kid had the allergy people kept bringing peanut treats to her birthday parties? That seems more like the appropriate analogy to people knowingly endangering others by not getting the vaccine.

I just don't get this, we can be back to normal or not. All you have to do is get a little tiny shot. Maybe you are afraid of needles tough guy, sorry you are scared. I can come hold your hand if you like. Frankly I would be happy if people like you just shut up instead of trying to convince others they shouldn't get the shot.

Seriously, aren't you tired of this? I know I am. Just get the shot, you don't have to tell anybody. They'll still think you're a stud.

I just don't get this, we can be back to normal or not. All you have to do is get a little tiny shot. Maybe you are afraid of needles tough guy, sorry you are scared. I can come hold your hand if you like. Frankly I would be happy if people like you just shut up instead of trying to convince others they shouldn't get the shot.

Seriously, aren't you tired of this? I know I am. Just get the shot, you don't have to tell anybody. They'll still think you're a stud. So what I’m understanding is that he needs to quit trying to convince people not to get the shot and shut up. But you can try and convince people to get the shot and keep running your f*****g mouth. Am I correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT